• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Indivisible: Lab Zero's Action-RPG! (General Discussion)

So just so I can understand. As long as I create a diverse team (like water Mage, fire Mage, fighter, healer, etc.) I should be fine?
TL;DR: You'll be more fine if you switch it up.

I hope there's not a party seperating event. I've played a couple RPGs where the party members need to split up and now I'm stuck with an under-leveled team of characters I never used. Hate those types of things.
Well, from what Mike said, grinding levels isn't a thing. An under used character sounds like it'll get less actions, and maybe a few less attacks (like no up attack maybe?), but they sound like they'll still be functional. So, if such a thing does happen, I'm not worried about that.

Reactions: Magma442
So it's more about less moves rather than lower levels. Yeah sorry I forgot about that tidbit my bad. However I have no problem with this system but I want to see it in action. I do have faith in lab zero they could design this system well.

I see this type of question a lot and it's weird to me.

I think people are just afraid of games that try to dictate HOW a player should play the game, such as in some of the situations mcpeanuts described for bravely default. Sounds like you guys are taking a pretty reasonable, buddhist approach to it though, so I'm happy =)

I think people are just afraid of games that try to dictate HOW a player should play the game, such as in some of the situations mcpeanuts described for bravely default. Sounds like you guys are taking a pretty reasonable, buddhist approach to it though, so I'm happy =)

That's not really what he was saying though, Bravely Default nor Second NEVER dictate what a player has to play like and quite often encourages experimentation. What he was saying was that it came at odds with leveling and grinding, which is the real issue.

And it's honestly a concept that's really hard for a lot of people to understand, since leveling and grinding is part of the core experience of RPGs for some. Hearing the idea that Indivisible won't engage in traditional stat leveling/exp stuff would sound like the opposite of a RPG experience, with the idea that you need to consider strategy and skill as the main things that challenge you to be more like an action game. That's why its confusing to a bunch of people; cause from the outset it sounds like something beyond the traditions of RPG thinking.

Reactions: KaboomKid
So between the large number of characters, irremovable main party member (except some occasions) and unique leveling system that doesn't let you grind

welp I guess we finally got Chrono Cross 2

Though I mean I should have seen it coming
latest

hc4kl08rkcxmml4xflkd.jpg

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
That's not really what he was saying though, Bravely Default nor Second NEVER dictate what a player has to play like and quite often encourages experimentation. What he was saying was that it came at odds with leveling and grinding, which is the real issue.

And it's honestly a concept that's really hard for a lot of people to understand, since leveling and grinding is part of the core experience of RPGs for some. Hearing the idea that Indivisible won't engage in traditional stat leveling/exp stuff would sound like the opposite of a RPG experience, with the idea that you need to consider strategy and skill as the main things that challenge you to be more like an action game. That's why its confusing to a bunch of people; cause from the outset it sounds like something beyond the traditions of RPG thinking.
This makes sense to me now. That's why I call it a Metroidvania with RPG battles, rather than an RPG.
> SotN has leveling
FINE

Indivisible is based on the fighting game/player-skill mindset, where to get farther at the game the player must get better at playing, rather than the traditional RPG/time-spent mindset where the player is massively rewarded for just spending a long time doing things without actively getting any better at the game. With that in mind, grinding is not really something that can exist, given that what you need to do is improve your play rather than improve your character. (ex: The "leveling" per character in the prototype gives you more actions, but nothing increases your base damage, defense, or HP. You have to play BETTER to beat the boss, or the secret boss, rather than going back and killing monsters for an hour until you take little enough damage that you don't have to block or heal to beat the boss.)

If I could do away with leveling entirely I would, and all improvements would be found in the world or given by the plot like Super Metroid, but the worry there is that in a really long game not having any progression improvements could be moderately un-fun for people used to playing grindy RPGs. So instead, what leveling gives characters is improvements that allow you to play better, rather than improvements that allow you to play the same way but beat tougher enemies.

[edit] This doesn't mean never upgrading your damage, defense, or HP. It just means those upgrades are given at specific points in the game, rather than given by leveling. Super Metroid upgrades your defense twice, and your base damage five times, but you can't grind to do it at all.

If we improve a character's action-bar-build speed, give them more action bars, or grant slightly more meter for their attacks, that allows the player to do more things with that same character, so the player has to get better at the game to progress. But if you never block or use supers, you're still dying pretty much the same way as before.

The opposite is if we left you with the same speed and same number of attacks, but increased the damage by 2x and your health by 2x - you would not be able to play differently but you would still do better. If you never block or use supers you still get farther with this type of reward system. That's what most RPGs do, and what we're explicitly not doing. And that's where grinding comes in and why it's so common, because you CANNOT improve very much as a player with this type of reward, you MUST improve your character instead.

We give you more tools and you have to learn to use them, rather than making your existing tools better.

I had someone argue to me that Indivisible made grinding about fighting enemies until you "got gud" Dark Souls style, but I really didn't have a retort for him at the time. It got me thinking that he wasn't necessarily wrong, but its still not really a positive mindset to see practicing or fighting to improve one's skills as grinding. Not really on any tangent I just thought it was an interesting point they brought up.

Reactions: Mike_Z
I had someone argue to me that Indivisible made grinding about fighting enemies until you "got gud" Dark Souls style, but I really didn't have a retort for him at the time. It got me thinking that he wasn't necessarily wrong, but its still not really a positive mindset to see practicing or fighting to improve one's skills as grinding. Not really on any tangent I just thought it was an interesting point they brought up.
I agree, it's not necessarily wrong to negatively view practicing-until-you're-better as "grinding one's skill". But by that logic, if your in-game presence doesn't improve so there is no "regular grinding" possible, and the player doesn't need to improve so there is no practice required...what's...left? Hold-Up-for-an-hour-to-beat-the-game? Why play that?
Even in Journey you get better at "playing".

The idea with any game, level-based or skill-based, is that the challenge should be presented in such a way that the required character level or skill set is present whenever it is necessary. There are plenty of well-made games of both types.

The difference to me is, in a skill-based game if a player skill is not yet present, they can learn at their own pace - fast or slow. In a time-spent-based game, if a required level is not yet met, there is a minimum amount of TIME still required for all players regardless of skill. To me, that second thing sucks. If Beth can learn how to block in Indivisible in 2 minutes, but it takes someone else 30 minutes, Beth can move on after 2 minutes. The same is true of Dark Souls (with the most common complaints being from people who don't want to learn). Whereas in FF6 if you need to be level 25 and are level 20, Beth can't level her party up significantly faster killing basic mooks in the area than anyone else can. It's not about the individual player.

If you're good enough, I suspect you won't need to kill enemies out of your way to get better. Dark Souls was grinding cause you died over and over until you stopped dying, but as soon as I found the block button and figured out how to heal in Indivisible I stopped dying. I think that's the difference (and the secret boss was just a timing thing). There probably won't be any "killing things out of the way" unless you personally want to (or are looking for secrets). I'm imagining most of the physical skill will be in linking attack chains together, block timing, and platforming, and after that just learning the tactics involved.

Last edited:
I rather like learning how to play a game better. I mean, shoot, when I first started Indiv, I got my butt handed to me by the large guys (I never remember those guys' names >.< ). After a few more tries, and a few different ideas, I beat the first one. Then started to use that personal experience on other fights, which made them easier. It's kind of a domino effect. Though I had to soundly rethink my strategy when it came to the bosses XD Still was a fun learning curve, even though the Prototype had that massive curve in learning. Gonna miss that steep curve in the full one.

Edit: Btw, I never beat a Dark Souls game... way too tough for me.

I mean, Dark Souls is designed a bit differently. You can get hard leveling and the tools you're using don't need to be swapped out as much, but skill is very much a necessity. There are ways to optimize your damage output, but the difference here is that you may still need to do some hard grinding in Dark Souls in order to have stats that allow you to be on a manageable level compared to the the bosses you're fighting. It sounds like in Indiv that won't be the case since you don't get points you can put towards direct stat upgrades, at least not from grinding enemies or areas.

I think it's fair to say the only place Ajna will grind enemies is on the dance floor.
:PUJNA:
Well, and health, I guess. Find a hungry ghost, purposefully start battle, use Iddhi to heal, quickly kill, rinse and repeat. Like the little enemies you can kill in Super Metroid for delicious giblets. Because who hasn't binged on Ramen for extra vitality?

Now that we all understand the general gameplay philosophy what other things are people Interested in? I know I want to see what the user interface is gonna be like. How far along are the user interface guys?
Likely not far since most of the game mechanics need to be done first but still curious.

let's just wait for the beta thingie to happen... I kinda think Mike doesn't want to be constantly answering questions like "How far is X coming along?" or "Will the game have X because it is drawing off of X Game?"

I kinda think Mike doesn't want to be constantly answering questions like "How far is X coming along?"
Fair, though if I may add onto the pile: How far along are the enigmatic secrets of mystery? I miss the streams. Streams were nice. Though, it'd be funny if the update stream were "We can't show you anything, so here are the new scribbles we'll use to block things we can't show."

That's why its confusing to a bunch of people; cause from the outset it sounds like something beyond the traditions of RPG thinking.
I noticed during the campaign that a large number of Valkyrie Profile fans seemed thrown off like this in particular. Apparently some of them got a memo saying that Indivisible was trying to be a VP Clone, so they would show up in comments criticizing design decisions in the Prototype based solely on how those mechanics would relate to VP. Once they finally learned more about Lab Zero's plans, and discovered that the game wasn't aiming to be a clone at all, they'd go silent. It was apparently easier for them to imagine the game as being a "poor clone" of VP, than as a unique experience with some familiar features.

And on the flipside, you also have some fans of traditional action platformers that are still getting hung up on the battle system. Some of them believe that if an enemy catches them off-guard on the map, and throws them into battle, it will somehow affect their runs more dramatically than in another game, where an enemy could knock them off a ledge and into a bed of death-spikes. A lot of these players must just be so used to categorizing games with RPG-style battles as games they don't want to play, that they're still having trouble warming up to them in the context of a platformer they're interested in.

To me, this all just shows how important a game like Indivisible is to the bigger gaming spectrum. Apparently it's been a while since some genres have had their wires crossed in this way, with this design philosophy behind it all, and it was about time to make it happen. Of course, we know Indivisible won't be everyone's cup of tea, but it sounds like it will still be a cup of tea that a lot of people haven't tasted before.

Fair, though if I may add onto the pile: How far along are the enigmatic secrets of mystery? I miss the streams. Streams were nice. Though, it'd be funny if the update stream were "We can't show you anything, so here are the new scribbles we'll use to block things we can't show."
I miss the streams too, I'll make sure to ask if someone can stream this week.

My secrets are roughly 70% complete. But the last 30% is the hardest stuff.

That's not what I was talking about wtf

Something I was reminded of the other day that interests me. Quite a few games introduce minigames to help break the pace of the game and give players a chance to take a break from the main gameplay for something else. I know that not as.many performers do this as other genre's do, but I was wondering if any such side activities were planned?

Something I was reminded of the other day that interests me. Quite a few games introduce minigames to help break the pace of the game and give players a chance to take a break from the main gameplay for something else. I know that not as.many performers do this as other genre's do, but I was wondering if any such side activities were planned?

From not even a month ago

I disagree that this kinda junk benefits the game in any real way, even ignoring that it would be spending work on something that's not the main game part.

It's no confirmation, but I wouldn't look forward to it.

Yay possible stream Incoming.
Mission accomplished.

One thing I'm a little concerned about here is the Sticker Star Effect, where random encounters feel like a waste of time/effort/resources* to the point where players would rather just run from everything that's not a mandatory boss. As wonderful as it sounds on paper to say you'll be developing your own skills as a player, it's hard to really see that you're getting something out of every fight, especially random encounters with simple mooks. A lot of players may feel like they already know what they're doing and there's not a lot to learn from practicing every single random battle. Hell, I myself would probably feel inclined to skip them all until I hit a wall with a boss, and then when that happens I'll just directly practice that boss until I get it.

I think it's important to keep some form of tangible progression you get out of each fight, even if the the difference it makes is minimal. You can keep the effect so small that it doesn't actually do much and players can't really brute force grind their way out if they don't also learn to play smarter while they're at it, but as long as it's just something nonzero that can go a long way in the player's mind to make random encounters not seem completely pointless. Consider it an artificial carrot to make players feel like they're getting something long-term out of it.

*Fortunately at least here we don't have battles draining resources so much, thank god there's no consumable stickers. I especially like that leftover Iddhi meter is automatically converted to healing so you don't even have to worry too much about health. But you are still spending time and effort on battles, that's still something.

One thing I'm a little concerned about here is the Sticker Star Effect, where random encounters feel like a waste of time/effort/resources* to the point where players would rather just run from everything that's not a mandatory boss. As wonderful as it sounds on paper to say you'll be developing your own skills as a player, it's hard to really see that you're getting something out of every fight, especially random encounters with simple mooks. A lot of players may feel like they already know what they're doing and there's not a lot to learn from practicing every single random battle. Hell, I myself would probably feel inclined to skip them all until I hit a wall with a boss, and then when that happens I'll just directly practice that boss until I get it.

I think it's important to keep some form of tangible progression you get out of each fight, even if the the difference it makes is minimal. You can keep the effect so small that it doesn't actually do much and players can't really brute force grind their way out if they don't also learn to play smarter while they're at it, but as long as it's just something nonzero that can go a long way in the player's mind to make random encounters not seem completely pointless. Consider it an artificial carrot to make players feel like they're getting something long-term out of it.

*Fortunately at least here we don't have battles draining resources so much, thank god there's no consumable stickers. I especially like that leftover Iddhi meter is automatically converted to healing so you don't even have to worry too much about health. But you are still spending time and effort on battles, that's still something.
You don't get anything from fighting non-boss enemies in Super Metroid, are those battles pointless?

One thing I'm a little concerned about here is the Sticker Star Effect, where random encounters feel like a waste of time/effort/resources* to the point where players would rather just run from everything that's not a mandatory boss.
Because you now get to start your turn when you hit things, AND because now when you kill an enemy it auto-targets the next one, if you get in a fight it's faster to fight weak enemies than run.
Running is slow, and is likely to only get slower. :^P It's a "oops my mistake" option, not a Thing To Do.
Additionally, running doesn't get rid of the enemy like in most RPGs - they're still there afterward.

Additionally-additionally, if you hit a very weak enemy you don't get in a fight, you just beat it up in the world.

You can dodge the enemies, but that's where the "they try to hit you like in regular games" thing comes in.

Also yeah, there are no resources, and winning fights gives you health (so far). Think of it as a platform game, instead of an RPG with random encounters.

So it's like earthbound in a way when it comes to weak enemies? Get strong enough and you can simply beat them up in the world without going to battle. Cool.

Oh yeah, did we ever get news on "Can we play the Beta on PC and have the full game on the console of our choice"?

So it's like earthbound in a way when it comes to weak enemies? Get strong enough and you can simply beat them up in the world without going to battle. Cool.
How do you get strong enough to do more damage for that though?

Weapon upgrades?

oh speaking of the prototype...

this might just be a hunch, but I'm thinking when the beta does come out it's going to be on the same presentation lvl as the prototype. Where there are few rough frames [if any at all]. I get the feeling like the open beta is not going to be like the SG Beta where things were being placed in like a live feed. That things are going to be a tad more complete before they hit the beta where we get to play find out any bugs ect. and from there Mike and the others will fine tune it.

Right?

idk.... the prototype really just blew me away in how it was presented. I honestly did not expect it to be super clean, so I'm kinda hoping the same will be true for the Beta.

oh speaking of the prototype...

this might just be a hunch, but I'm thinking when the beta does come out it's going to be on the same presentation lvl as the prototype. Where there are few rough frames [if any at all]. I get the feeling like the open beta is not going to be like the SG Beta where things were being placed in like a live feed. That things are going to be a tad more complete before they hit the beta where we get to play find out any bugs ect. and from there Mike and the others will fine tune it.

Right?

idk.... the prototype really just blew me away in how it was presented. I honestly did not expect it to be super clean, so I'm kinda hoping the same will be true for the Beta.
Given that Ajna specifically has underwear in her rough frames because the Beta needs to be rated T, I think it's safe to infer that there will be rough frames. Look forward to her outrunning her own hair!

Come on, Indivisible Pachinko for IOS!

well here's the thing... those animations were from the streams about uh... now coming up to two weeks. I'm guessing they're just waiting to clean up the animations that they do have down. So like the extra hit frames of the ogres, Ajna with her weapons, her counter, team mates low health animations. I think all of those are being worked on to be at least in some form of clean up state. I know for sure the environment is being worked on to look much better with lighting and just everything in general.

idk... I know that Mike has said that the beta is going to be changing places and that we won't be replaying in the prototype temple [but i think that temple will be used in the game so...] so maybe they're working on everything and once the new stage is built the beta too will get released soon afterwords.

*shrugs*

All I really want is to see and play a marked improvement from the prototype. I know the streams have been showing that off, but there this part of me that is really really itching for the beta and I'm trying really hard not to ask Mike a ton of dumb questions that I know will spill out of my mouth.

@Ninja sure they're definitely taking time to fine tune and make things more polished, but I think in classic Lab Zero style we're gonna see rough animations. Lab Zero concepts a lot of attacks and narrows it down to their final choices, but its still possible that if they decide on a concept and execute it that while testing the move it just doesn't work out.

Unless you are grinding for consumable pickups, yes.
So you think Super Metroid is a strictly better game if none of those enemies are there. idk I think that would make Lower Norfair less interesting

rough animations.
I wonder what the rough drawings are going to be for other characters? Looking forward to Razmi bundled up in a low-detail bathrobe and bunny slippers.

Reactions: Rakurin