• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Indivisible: Lab Zero's Action-RPG! (General Discussion)

I guess in that Inner Realm, currency would be useless if Ajna can just imagine herself swimming in whatever currency her world needs.

That reminds me, Vasco's bio says he's a mercenary who will work as long as he gets paid.

Reactions: Cheesedragon
I had a chance to watch the Anime Expo panel... I do remember hearing somewhere (probably this thread) that in the next build if you hit an enemy on the overworld you go into the battle and it's instantly your turn. It didn't really click with me until I saw it in action though, like wow, this is actually really good. Instead of the combat interrupting the platforming (which is a thing that annoyed me that I didn't think to post when Mike asked what people didn't like about the prototype), they flow really seamlessly into one another. It looks really cool!

Instead of the combat interrupting the platforming (which is a thing that annoyed me that I didn't think to post when Mike asked what people didn't like about the prototype), they flow really seamlessly into one another. It looks really cool!
Yey!

Why would you need a fixed currency when you can have the thrill of defeating every single critter roaming around the world with your sick martial art skills? You'll get new weapons and skills from new Incarnations, and you only need your Iddhi meter to heal yourself. Besides, if Vasco is an Incarnation (well, of course he is), he can't really do much about money if his soul/spirit is being dragged around by Ajna.

FYI - Alex said in the Lore video that the regions do use different forms of currency, but obviously we know that won't factor much into gameplay.

I think some of our threads combined with the IGG page actually cover a fair amount of FAQ topics, but I guess at a later point, an FAQ video like Kai's old prototype combat video might be a handy reference to pass around and get people interested in the game.

I hope just for the heck of it copy the way shops works in Undertale. You can sell nothing to the shopkeepers.
Also the best currency system have it Path of Exile, which make sense in Indivisible if you think about it.

You can sell things in Undertale...

Yeah but the joke is that the shopkeep is a complete idiot for accepting stuff from you. :P The smarter ones don't go for it.

Also that one is hidden.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArgonBern
Yeah but the joke is that the shopkeep is a complete idiot for accepting stuff from you. :P The smarter ones don't go for it.

nnnnnNNNOOOOOOOOOooooOOOOOO!
Temmies are just special, not stupid!
Also selling you an armor after you help the "one" Temmi, is good business.

fixed that for you
memes did nothing wrong
Who said anything about memes? I was talking about all the stuff in the background like the Squirtle, Mario Bros, FF, and what not XD

Who said anything about memes? I was talking about all the stuff in the background like the Squirtle, Mario Bros, FF, and what not XD
He's talking about that.

Besides, if Vasco is an Incarnation (well, of course he is), he can't really do much about money if his soul/spirit is being dragged around by Ajna.
Maybe Vasco could get a Gil-Toss move involving the local currency? Bonus comedy if his victory animation involves scrounging for the tossed coin.

Might also be a nice tongue-in-cheek quest to get something from a shopkeep in exchange for finding his rare, old coin collection.

Reactions: Cheesedragon
Maybe Vasco could get a Gil-Toss move involving the local currency? Bonus comedy if his victory animation involves scrounging for the tossed coin.
So the idea is for Vasco to be Johnny (GG) but with a gun? That could be interesting (and @render is a Johnny main)

Ajna: Hey Vasco, if you join my group, I'll pay you with a lot of loot.
Vasco: DEAL!

*end of game*
Vasco: So where's my loot?
Ajna: Uh ... surprise, I had no loot to give you!

Ajna: Hey Vasco, if you join my group, I'll pay you with a lot of loot.
Vasco: DEAL!

*end of game*
Vasco: So where's my loot?
Ajna: Uh ... surprise, I had no loot to give you!
I've got your loot right here!
dbmlxvtz5fvmqokacfis.png
:PUJNA:

Vasco: Are you trying to kill me?

Nuna ya' business!
i82y2fuuyskt4zdc7gwq.png

I liked the background posters in Guacamelee. The Bane vs Batman lucha match poster was particularly fun. It's just a cute little background thing, no big deal.

It's just a cute little background thing, no big deal.

Exactly! And yet some people say it "ruins their immersion" in a game that has little to no fourth wall to begin with.

Like yeah if I'm playing Zelda and I see a troll face I'd be angered due to it breaking immersion, but not all games are meant to be immersive experiences. Sometimes they're just meant to be fun.

Reactions: The Dave
How about the fact that memes are unoriginal per se and ruin the immersion for some because it reminds them of shitty facebook pages?

How about we try to be original for once and make our own humor?

Can't we just have a fun game and not scream meme hate?

How about the fact that memes are unoriginal per se and ruin the immersion for some because it reminds them of shitty facebook pages?

How about we try to be original for once and make our own humor?
Who said anything about memes? People are talking about a small easter egg being hidden in the game somewhere. Also, you're complaining about memes on a forum for Skullgirls, a game filled with memes.

One thing I learned from multiple failed fan projects is that Easter Eggs should ALWAYS come later. theres probably nothing even plained yet because L0 is focused on the actual work

One thing I learned from multiple failed fan projects is that Easter Eggs should ALWAYS come later. theres probably nothing even plained yet because L0 is focused on the actual work
Yeah, planning/forcing jokes is never a good idea. I'm sure Lab Zero will sneak things in when they're bored and it'll be sufficiently amusing. You know, all natural, free-range easter eggs that fit in and aren't really meant to be found.

You know when movies include too many dated jokes that don't really work years later? Memes can be like that. A few can be fine. But if most of your jokes are memes then aren't you just doing very little work yourself to be funny?

Also Skullgirls memes are at least multilayered and worked in universe like Guacamelee's were. And it had more of its own material.

Tl;Dr Memes can be funny but relying on them too heavily can be kinda lazy

Sent from my SM-G928R4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Midiman
That goes without saying - easter eggs shouldn't ever be a highlight of the game, they should be, well, hidden and put in after.

But some people are so vehemently against them being added in after that it ruins it for us easter-egg-meme-reference lovers. It's annoying. It's to a point where if someone has a video that's "check out this cool easter egg in this game!" it devolves into "actually this ruins immersion and

You know when movies include too many dated jokes that don't really work years later? Memes can be like that. A few can be fine. But if most of your jokes are memes then aren't you just doing very little work yourself to be funny?

yeah all that (thanks for proving my point)

Uhhhh, those are mostly references. References to other video games as well, which works for something so arcade-y in nature.
I think the actual memes that people were more upset about were,
IeESeiE.jpg

9FD85537D862F63DCA7EA537095CCC49772C821C

guac_megusta.jpg

C968EC7F618F6B29C81361EB04E3E878FD9DF89D

Etc. etc.
I believe Mike at one point said that references were fine, but memes, as in internet jokes that are already considered widespread to possibly overplayed, are not.

The problem is people view "references to other video games" as memes. There are people who view the following "references" in the same light:
original.jpg

18k42eq6h4wyojpg.jpg

screen_shot_2013-04-11_at_6.37.47_am__large.png

18k42ztths0myjpg.jpg

Look, I'm not saying I want Ajna to ride a unicycle and Vasco to call her "dat gurl". But references to pop culture (which some view as 'memes') are fine in video games. Especially indie ones. The big problem is that the definition of a "meme" is very much a blurred line.

Thing I'm finding odd about this "Meme" talk is the stuff in the background on Guacamelee is more "easter egg" than meme.. if you want meme, you can just look at this and figure it out
11909508_876611332374095_5494618214306321463_n.jpg
Uhhhh, those are mostly references. References to other video games as well, which works for something so arcade-y in nature.
I think the actual memes that people were more upset about were,
I remember the cat vs frog one, but didn't think of the meme connection.. I haven't seen the others o.o

Uh,
Grumpy Cat is very explicitly a meme.
And the line can be blurry at some points but things like Me Gusta, Business Cat, or Bachelor Frog are indisputably memes, they have no other position in popular culture than being memes. And take it from someone who had a very embarrassing meme phase, humor based around referencing memes is not clever writing, not in the slightest, I imagine that's why most people don't like them. You're basically just spouting off a catchphrase, but one that you didn't come up with and that's shared by every other person on the internet.

I will say Guacamelee takes a better approach to the situation by having them just sort of in the background as easter eggs instead of as part of the story or present in dialogue, and it's easy to see why the devs would go to memes, they're just meant to be banner filler, you need to put something on a poster so it might as well be a reference instead of something generic.

Oh God... this is getting out of hand, no wonder Mike hasn't showed up here again (until we talk about gameplay again, maybe? Then again, he must be really busy working on the game). I think L0 said references and easter eggs are okay, by that, I suppose they mean, for example, an NPC saying something like "but that's a secret to everybody" or "the future refused to change" or even something similar, just remember how Undertale threw a small shout-out to Chrono Trigger with the song "But the Earth refused to die". All those little things that make you feel all giddy inside.

yeah all that (thanks for proving my point)

Y'know, I actually kind of agree with you but if you're going to be that way then let's try this tack.

Being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian is never a good thing. Maybe this isn't what you're doing but it's the vibe you're throwing out. If I say some memes can be good but a lot of memes can be bad there's nuance there. It really depends on the how's, what's and where they're used. I don't subscribe to fact that memes themselves will be automatically terrible but I can at least see where people would feel it's being lazy.

Sure, some people are going to be jerks about it but using that as the basis of your argument will always be bad because people will be jerks about *anything*.

And finally Mike has already said they're not going heavy on the meme stuff so it sounds like the final argument at least for Indivisible's case.

Tl;Dr Next time you claim I proved your point you better make sure you know what *my* point was.

Sent from my SM-G928R4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Midiman
Oh God... this is getting out of hand, no wonder Mike hasn't showed up here again (until we talk about gameplay again, maybe?
I mean, I tried

Are you guys really complaining about Easter eggs and memes that haven't even been put in the game yet? jeez.

Not at all - I'm complaining about people who complain about Schrodinger's Easter Eggs: ones that may or may not exist. The "may exist" part bothers them so much they have to register their hatred for all things related to them whenever the conversation is brought up. It's annoying. I won't bring it up again unless someone else decides to bring it up

But yeah, the new gameplay feature of going straight into battle on preemptive strike is really cool. It's really gonna be a feature that promotes getting those early hits in. Makes me wonder if it'll lead to situations where you /won't/ want to, however.