• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Indivisible: Lab Zero's Action-RPG! (General Discussion)

I really like this desgin but yeah I agree, its not the same character. this designs real good, however it feels like taking, to use an example. Taking Mario, turning him into Wario but still calling him Mario.

Its a good design but not a good "redesign"

Reactions: Tank and KaboomKid
Simplifying some designs to animate I get it, and I'm glad Phoebe was kept very close to original, but this Vasco just isn't Vasco. He isn't a cowboy, he isn't a conquistador, he isn't a mercenary, he isn't even spanish anymore.
I get that you're mixing up the work of multiple artists, but you need to still keep focus. You already got rid of peculiar characters like the gnome and scottish samurai, and the remaining designs are losing any punch they had.
This.

I will be brutally honest with you Lab Zero: the new design for Vasco looks like shit.

I'm sorry, it might not be the kindest opinion, but it's honest.

Not the sort of person you want to ask for hard butterscotch candies while visiting for the weekend.
but I love butterscotch candies

if he has those all is forgiven

but I love butterscotch candies

if he has those all is forgiven
Exactly! Butterscotch candies are the best. New! Vasco has all the butterscotch candies and a big, comfy recliner. Old! Vasco only had black licorice uphill both ways in the snow, and he liked it.

I hope Leilani still looks adorable
Eh, I was always put off by her weird trunk-legs. Then again, I find children in general to be uncomfortable and off-putting.

Old! Vasco only had black licorice uphill both ways in the snow, and he liked it.
wait hold on I want the black licorice that's even better

I mean, this is very limited art of him. I don't think we'll see his personality really come out until then. He could still have more or less the same personality, just hidden behind a more relaxed visage that doesn't care, in both good and bad ways. Its really too early and i quite like this change.

At a glance, I'd have a preferred a more earthy tone for the outfit, but overall I honestly like the new design. He definitely reads like a new character though, with only passing resemblance to the old Vasco, so I do feel kinda bad for fans of the old design. I totally wouldn't mind "old Vasco" appearing as a separate character or NPC, if that were possible.

Maybe it would have been better if a big redesign like this had been revealed a little later though, when there was more lore and roster context to pull from to help explain their re-iteration process. Part of the reason I like this new design is because it pulls a lot of visual qualities I liked from Vasco, Antoine, George, and Kaldi, and put them into one character. Right now I get a strong feeling that this might be intentional, and the implications from that make me even happier with this new Vasco.

Like with Baozhai though, I don't think it's worthwhile for people to make major lore or personality assumptions from just the model sheet. He's clearly still a man equipped to kill things, so keep that in mind.

Reactions: Shan
This is the character design that most makes me think "we really need to see these with the engine shading to get a proper feel for how they look." Granted, I'm also on the "the old colour palette worked better for what the character seemed to be going for" train, though I think the biggest difference is the sharpness of the beard being lost. The hair looking as fluffy as it does gives it that overly kindly look a lot of people are commenting on.

I like the transformed Reiterpallasch, though.

Reactions: Cheesedragon
I don't mind this design. Then again old one was never appealling to me anyways. I urge you to remember that designs created for the campaign were created on the spot under tremendous pressure and weren't thought through all that well. Not to mention there wasn't much done in terms of world's lore and overall story. If at this point in time L0 feels like such drastic changes are necessary to fit Vasco in the game, so be it.

I think what we all really liked about Vasco was his personality. His change in design certainly conveys a much different attitude, but it doesn't give that attitude any context. What if he really is a nice old guy around the grand kids, but suddenly changes into the familiar stone-cold mercenary when he's on the job? More information about how his personality has changed or stayed the same would be a great addition to the update.

After news of Vasco's redesign, I have been seeing some of my friends losing confidence in the game.

After news of Vasco's redesign, I have been seeing some of my friends losing confidence in the game.

Seems a bit hasty of them. I vastly prefer Vasco's older design as well, but we haven't seen him in motion, haven't seen his dialogue, his play-style, his personality or character arc. A weaker design doesn't compromise the entire game and for all we know Vasco may end up being one of the most well received Incarnations available. I hesitate to judge a book by its cover, even though I preferred the old cover.

Well, yeah. They gave him the Suicide Squad Deadshot treatment, and those aren't pleasant memories for anyone. :P

Give the redesign a mean face torn cloths and that should be it.

Well, yeah. They gave him the Suicide Squad Deadshot treatment, and those aren't pleasant memories for anyone. :P
Please. Deadshot's treatment has least to do with that movie being shit.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the only thing they were concerned about.

Friend 1: I think shading and lighting will add a bit more depth to the characters in the final game. These don't look like complete designs.
Friend 2: Idk man, I said the same thing about mighty N09 and look what happened.
Friend 1: I get that and this is could be me just being a fan boy, but Skullgirls went through enough with character designs that I feel like Lab Zero's not done with the characters yet. Although from concept to actual design that's always going to be a drop. Also if Indivisible didn't have the money to finish the designs Mike Z would dig that junk out of his pockets again.

If this new Vasco is based in some way on Bass Reeves I may be ok with this. Gonna miss the old Vasco but let's see where this goes.

Look, if you want to put in new Vasco, that's fine, but at least let us play with the old one. Nü Vas design is boring as hell.

Personally, I think it's a bit of a shocker of a redo. I know much of the concept art is just that, but this is a pretty big turn around. I liked the older design. Edgy (like, edges) and the colors was nice. The gun change is fine, I don't mind that. If they dropped like the bandoleer or som'in to animate easier it'd be one thing but a 180° on a huge chunk? Eh, what evs though. Their game, and it's a "concept" for a reason. The main thing (aside what I did say) I liked was the glare he had maching his facial features. This one looks he just wants to hug everyone instead XD

...and those shoes...

WHAT ARE THOOOOOOOSE??

No really the more I look at him the more I want to spit on his beard.

What if he really is a nice old guy around the grand kids, but suddenly changes into the familiar stone-cold mercenary when he's on the job?

Heh, I wonder if we could get something like that.

Well what a lot of people seem to kinda forget is that it's a model sheet so of course personnality doesn't shine much on those. (Remember the Baozhai one where she looked all stern where her idle stance is her hands on hips looking confident as fuck)

Also I noticed we're getting daily updates since monday! That's pretty good. If L0 keeps that pace i wonder what we'll see today 'w'

On the one hand, I don't think any of the Skullgirls characters went through such drastic visual changes. On the other hand, Samson used to be working for the mafia and Squigly came from a very different family, while Parasoul and Umbrella had magic. But Alex didn't have to think of 20 of them in a month and a half.

But it's still a drastc change. Removing all the clear cowboy elements in favor of the less-obvious Spanish ones, changing his poise and expression, changing a rifle into a rapier... I could understand each of these changes, but all together they don't feel like Vasco. All the scruffy elements are gone.

Alex is mostly doing monster designs right?

Idk. Considering America's equivalent in Locca still has its Mayan and Aztecs, conquistadors make much more sense than cowboys

On the one hand, I don't think any of the Skullgirls characters went through such drastic visual changes.

Ms. Fortune had a pretty big redesign. Double (sort of) got one too. You're right that most other characters remained more or less the same though.

i like the new look, it's not the same character but i think it could be because they came up with a redone story

since new Vasco has his eyes closed, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out he is a blind gunslinger

<as an aside, that this happened so close to the trailer for the Dark Tower - with a similar situation about a gunslinger character that was originally white now being played by Idris Elba - is pretty funny in hindsight

This has nothing to do with his skin color. It has to do with his new attide and expression not fitting his original trailer.

nothing to do with his skin color.
I'll probably get some heat for this, but I think the skin color change does have something to do with it. Specifically, since the Nineties we've been culturally trained to expect "scary black men" to have a heart of gold. Even the Operative in Serenity came around to "not so bad" in the end. Underworld had a "both sides are dicks, the werewolves kind of have a point" thing going on, so the last straight-up black villain I can think of is Kingpin from the Ben Affleck Daredevil movie.

Look, my point is: if Vasco was originally unveiled as black but same personality and clothing, then changed to white and the current attire, my reaction would have been the same.

Thinking about it, a Portuguese-inspired character being black would make very little sense, but still, now Vasco is Generic Gentle Grandpa and that's the problem.

i have something to make.

and someone to thank/apologize to.

i'm kinda glad there is this redesign on Vasco. It'll give me an excuse to finish a project where i can make the comparison between the two designs and how it can affect a character and their personality.

Okay Argon, I'm personally disappointed by the new design, but you need to calm the hell down. You are just spewing toxicity with your posts now and basically acting up like a child.

Wait and see where this goes when he's fully animated. There's only so much you can tell about a character with a static model sheet. Even if you still end up not happy with his current design, there are a whole lot of characters that exist in the game.

And more importantly, we knew very little about the old version of Vasco. For all you know, the old version of him might have ended up being the character you'd hate the most in the final game. So while it's good to show love for concepts, know that you are mainly falling in love with an idea of what you think that concept might become and extrapolating a whole lot. So no point getting too attached.

Hell, the problem I have with this isn't even so much "it's not Vasco" as it is "how are they going to distinguish him from Tungar now?" So we'll see.

man the tone here kinda sucks and I feel like people are looking at it the wrong way. I was super attached to the old vasco design, and my biggest problem right now with the new one is the disney shoes and gun.

But from like, a gameplay perspective the change kinda makes sense. Vasco's old design doesn't really offer a lot in fights. So far we've seen buffs, area attacks, single target attacks, and launchers. With the cool sharpshooter aesthetic Vasco had, its easy to imagine that the only things he'd be working with is shooting a gun, which kinda just leaves him with moves like "shoot gun" and "shoot gun several times in succession". The main exception to this that would be easy to imagine would be melee attacks like giving them the boot or bludgeoning with the rifle. I think its easy to imagine that this, is just kinda boring (despite how much I prefer the old design). Having a rapier bayonet on your goofy lookin revolver doesn't appeal to me visually, but in a gameplay sense it opens him up to a larger variety of toolsets, since a pistol is something you wouldn't necessarily use from the back line, especially not with the thrusting and slashing uses of the rapier. Though its hard to speak definitively about a subject that never really existed and has yet to be demonstrated, this is just the way I'm looking at it.

Also, his complexion seems pretty reflective of his background I think, being a dude who spent (probably months idk) on a boat followed by however long he's been meandering around the desert (presumably) being a menace and gettin that colonizing stuff done. seriously though why does it look like he got his gun and shoes from yosemite sam and mickey mouse.

Reactions: CountofBleck
I didn't mind the weapon change. I was more for the edgy (rough corners) design on the old version. The new one's really curved off, making him more toony with a nicer personality. I also liked his face design. Dark, edgy(the mood), fit the design of his body.

....Also the shoes are rreeaalllyyy bothering me.

Besides, most cowboys were POC anyway. White Cowboys were mainly a product of Hollywood whitewashing.

Reactions: ArgonBern