• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Is there a good microphone headset what do you use to commentate?

simplyB2K

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone know a good microphone for commentating gameplays do you know any good microphone/headsets you would recommend? ALSO have you ever listen to our own recordings and thought to yourself "I dont sound like that!" and how did you resolve it?

Thanks for all the replys
-B2K

TWITTER: https://twitter.com/s1mply_B2K

I don't know enough about audio equipment to answer that but I can answer that second question. You are NEVER going to like the sound of your own voice played back to you. You just gotta accept it and keep doing what you're doing.

I don't know enough about audio equipment to answer that but I can answer that second question. You are NEVER going to like the sound of your own voice played back to you. You just gotta accept it and keep doing what you're doing.
So would you say having a different and better microphone wont make a single difference? Whenever I record my commentary I sounded very VERY BORING Like I dont care about what im doing kind of boring. And if im NOT recording I do exaggerate and I feel the expressions as well. I try to look up Audacity and see what I can do and the only thing there is (in my knowledge of the software) is by changing the pitch of my voice!

Different and better microphones always make a difference, in sound quality. They won't change your voice or make you a better entertainer, that's going to come with experience.
There's actually a scientific reason why we dislike the sound of our own voice played back to us, it has to do with how we process the sound.

Anyway, my headset I just bought recently is a Logitech G230. It's really cheap but It works pretty well, but I'm sure you're looking for some professional gear.

Can't help you on the headset itself, I have used the same cheap Radioshack headset for 8 years. As far as not liking how it sounds though, I can offer a couple tips there

-Talking to a computer screen by yourself can feel pretty unnatural and can make you talk stilted or in monotone which sounds like what you're describing. Part of that is just doing it a lot until you get used to it. It may help to imagine you're talking to a person though that may help you talk the way you normally do.

-If you record your thing and you don't like how it sounds, record it again, continue until you like it. (This can take a long time.) Doesn't work for something like live commentary obv.

Well good for you then