• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Is there a reason behind the noir-cinema theme?

Gahooglydonks

daring baby
Reaction score
Steam
Gahooglydonks
Peacock Painwheel Filia
Is the game like this just to be cool or is there a plot-related reason behind it? Is it supposed to be like we're watching a show?

What do you make of it?

You ever hear about the theory that Super Mario Bros 3 was a stage play or something like that?

I bet it's like that. Skullgirls is all just some big beyond-complex noir movie.

I think it's a mix of rule of cool and setting wise, given that the game is set in a Heavily 1920s-40s inspired world. Many noirs were inspired by that era.

because the time period of the game is the equivalent of our worlds post WWII

Honestly I'd wager because it made giving mechanics new names a lot easier. Dramatic Tension(Meter) Blockbuster(Super, also dead video store chain) OutTake(Snapback) and probably a million other names that people dont really actually use :p

because the time period of the game is the equivalent of our worlds post WWII
More like post World War I. The backstory war is called the Grand War (like how WWI was the Great War before WWII), a young political figure ends up in charge of the local Germany equivalent (Parasoul, incidentally, has some Nazi imagery present, particularly in her Egrets), and tensions are still high enough that there could be another war on the horizon.

The game's entire setting is based off of early 20th century design, if you're looking for a particular reason. That covers the age of movies style, the art deco elements in the menus, the appearance and technology level of the setting, (some of) the characters' fashion sensibilities. (There's a bit of leeway given so the characters can have stuff like anime hair.)

Like people said above, it's loosely based off of the World War II era in America and Europe. And also like people said above, because it's cool. There's something very appealing and timeless about Golden Age aesthetics.

Cause it's a show for the Trinity!

actuallymaybegamewouldmakemoresensebutwhatever

It went good with Jazz, and the times culture.