• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Is there any point to Beowulf's "EX Clinch UP" besides style?

Karpador

Reaction score
Steam
Karpador
XBL
Karpador
Squigly
I do much more damage just spending my hype during a grapple combo before doing the moonsault.

The level 3 hype use? You may not find many uses for it, but at least it allows for a convertible reversal.

Grappling during a combo and spending hype to do some moves that keep the opponent grappled end up doing more damage than regrappling after the moonsault.

I'm not talking about using it mid combo, I'm talking about using it as a reversal. Maybe you might want to use it when getting crossed up, maybe the placement of assists and projectiles makes it the most rewarding option. For another use, maybe Beowulf is going to be DHC'd in, and due to the super you just used, moon wolf is the only one you'll be able to convert off of.

You're gonna want to use Beowulf's EX moves to convert things into super as well as optimize combos. The enemy enters a sweep state after they exit Beowulf's grab for a second time; however, using EX Grendel Killa (it saves your OTG too) allows you to bypass that and continue the combo (if they're not at full undizzy; if they are, you can just super for some more damage).

Moonsault is a whole different thing. Usually you want to use supers if you catch both the opponent and their assist character, only if you aren't sure you can get a happy birthday and double snap off of it. It is also used to kill at the end of the combo. I wouldn't start a combo with it, personally, but it's up to you. Using 2 hype at the beginning of a combo kind of ruins any chance of you changing your mind to do some other set-up (although you still have 1 hype remaining granted you have 3 hype at the start, so it's not ALL over).

And speaking of style... doing a penguin at the end if you start with 3 hype isn't bad either. Funny enough, it is actually optimized. It allows you to kill the last opponent if their hp is below 1550 (times Beowulf's damage multiplier), which is more damage than any regular canis major will do, even at 0 scaling.