• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Stands were originally planned to be something of a Ripple apex
like the Ripple was subconsciously trying to make its users achieve a Stand

but that got dropped and Stands become (at first) a sort of semi-physical manifestation of psychic power, latent or otherwise
I thought I read a thing in part 7 that said hamon and rotation both are a path to stands.

I don't care if it was already in the manga
Jojo's just made a direct reference to Tom & Jerry by name
ibxrIL1Udhm429.gif

Stardust Crusaders dubbed is now on Crunchyroll until tomorrow.
It's surprisingly good.

Avdol is the official name
it's no surprise
I'm more wondering who that is voicing him (I think it might be Paul St. Peter but I can't be sure)

I think the reason why they started with Part 3 is because the staff is different. In their Crunchyroll Q&A, the host kept mentioning they're the staff for Stardust Crusaders and not the JoJo anime in general.

It's still the same studio, though
I can't imagine it being that difficult, but then again, I'm unfamiliar with the ins and outs of dubbing

But the Production Committee, people/companies who greenlight the show and determine the budget, etc., is different. I guess that's a major reason.

I would be surprised if they didn't. again, Viz is a pretty good dubbing company. the only time they cut the ending is so they can have the show on american runtime.

so here is Ruin's Official Unofficial Dub Voice Critique/Masturbation/Speculation

JOTARO - Matt Mercer was a fantastic choice for Jotaro, in my opinion. My ideal was Travis Willingham, but Mercer manages to get Jotaro's pseudogeniune badass ways. His voice is little bit higher than what I would expect, but that in turn does make Jotaro sound younger and thus, closer to his actual age. It's a give and take, I suppose, but one I'm not opposed to. Also, Patrick Seitz does a good ORA (as I'm certain that was him as Star Platinum, if not then Mercer does a better ORA than I would assume of him, heh). A solid A-, in my book. Maybe even an A.

JOSEPH - Richard Epcar is, in as few words as possible, FUCKING AMAZING AS JOSEPH. He managed to hit all the right notes and just get everything about Old Joseph right. I can hardly verbalize everything that I loved about Epcar's Joseph, and that is the sign of a good cast, in my opinion. OVERDRIVE. Fuckin' A+

AVDOL - WHO IS THIS MAN?! Seriously, I can't a proper read on him at all. I'm gonna assume Paul St. Peter, but I can go about that objectively, obviously. Whoever this is, they gave Abdul a very smooth voice that I definitely didn't expect, but I thought it worked really well. Some of his lines were a little awkwardly read, but it was nothing gamebreaking or really bad. I was most impressed by his bit about meeting Dio in Cairo, personally. Overall, I'd give him a solid B or B+, with a solid foundation, but still room to improve.

KAKYOIN - He's no Liam O'Brien, but Kyle Hebert's Kakyoin managed to really surprise me with how he managed to hit a lot of good notes. He definitely got Kakyoin's general feel and mannerisms, my only really complaint is his EMERALD SPLASH, but that's pretty minor in my opinion. Yells are a general weakpoint in english dubbing, I find, so I'm more forgiving towards stuff like that. Also, slightly unrelated, but I like and dislike the way they translated Kakyoin's line about Holly. The jojo's fanbase ran the Milfhunter Kakyoin joke into the ground, but I still get a laugh about it in the context of that line, so making it a little more vague and slightly less creepy is understandable. Solid B.

DIO - THE GLORIOUS RETURN OF SEITZCULA! *ahem* Seitz was a good pick. Like, a really good pick. He just sounds like Avdol put it. Disturbingly sensual and all that. Eerily smooth and calming. Like a kind of malevolent butter. A+

POLNAREFF - We heard like two words but I think it's Doug Erholrz and I think we'll get a good performance out of him. TBG, I guess.

YEAH
DUBS AND SHIT

this is definitely a solid dub. can't wait to get all of it then marathon it.

also, the voice of BoBatou is perfect for Joseph. I knew it from the start.

oh god that would be perfect
he might need to work on rolling his Bs though (motherfucker can roll his Bs how does that even happen)

who would be perfect for Young Joseph though?
Well, Travis Willingham is a large, loud, goofy, deep-voiced man
Joseph Joestar is a large, loud, goofy, deep-voiced man

there's some science and some magic that can be done here

Well, Travis Willingham is a large, loud, goofy, deep-voiced man
Joseph Joestar is a large, loud, goofy, deep-voiced man

there's some science and some magic that can be done here
that sounds almost crazy enough to work.

interesting to see what fruit that may bear
these three episodes weren't anything to scoff at, but they could be improved. Wonder if they'll go by audience feedback and improve it as such. That'd be something, for sure.

Well, now I want to see someone draw Ryu charging a hadouken, but instead doing Emerald Splash. As for the dub, not bad, normally don't watch em with a few exceptions but overall it was great.

okay, so, my friend thougt of a Stand and I wanna hear your opinions of it (now he hasn't seen part 3 because, like me, he wants to marathon it)

Saint Anger: the stand user can only activate his stand if he gets hurt and is angered. the more damage he takes, the angrier the stand user becomes which makes his stand stronger, but the more damage he dishes out the more damage he takes.

I thought it was good for someone who hasn't experienced what stands can do in JoJos, but what do you guys think?

Back