• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Keyboard General Discussion

Colossi

THE ONE THAT DODGES
Reaction score
Steam
Colossi
Fukua Cerebella Unknown
yay, keyboard general discussion
post your keyboards
post your keybidings
post your macros and those stuff
complain about how impossible it is to do showstopper (it's not, but fuck 360s)

Anyway
Directionals: WASD
Punches: IOP (from light to heavy)
Kicks: KLÇ
Macros: Q (LP+LK) and Space(LP+LK)
Assist call: comma and dot

Last edited:
When I need to use a keyboard, I used WASD for directions, Numpad 456 for punches and 123 for kicks. Then normally something like Num+ for Start, Num9 for select and 7/8 can be used for assist macros or whatever else.

WASD for Movements
UIO Punchies
JKL Kickes
QE Macrosies
12 Start Select

I used to run Q / Space but you know what im just gonna do it

also keyboard is hard.

I actually found keyboard less hard than a proper stick for the most part, though having extra space between the buttons for punches/kicks is nice. Sucks if you have to do accurate 360s or crazy TKChargePretzels though.

Oh, yeah, I use 3 for start and 1 for select because of my old notebook that had it's 2 not working.
My keyboard is a Microsoft Comfort Curve 3000 and works particularly well. I'm still more used to my notebook's, tho.

Do you guys use the macros for stuff like IAD or just assists?

I use a Microsoft Sidewinder X4
It's not mechanical, but has some sort of anti-ghosting stuff anyway and works pretty well

ASD, Space - left, down, right, up

Numpad 789 - LP MP HP
Numpad 456 - LK MK HK
Numpad 0 - LP+LK macro

Numpad Enter - Start
Numpad + - Select

I don't play any characters with 360's or airdashes so I can't comment on that

I use whatever keyboard I can get. That being said, my laptop doesn't like down and right happening at the same time.

Movement: Arrow keys

ASD - LP MP HP
ZXC - LK MK HK
F - Assist 1
V - Assist 2
Enter - Start
RShift - Select

When I used Cerebella for a time, she was a bit easier due to how hard it was to get one of her command grab specials confused for a certain super (In comparison to PS3 controllers). Can't comment on Air Dash characters, I put Air Dashing in a category with push-block (The forgotten pile.)

I play Val and double tap forward works well for me.
Don't you guys turn this option on?
njvgls.png

Can't play without this.

What does it do for Keyboards?

Assist macros without using the regular macros.

How would you use them? Like, what are the keys?

Right under Macros.
vihdwm.png
Holy shit I can use assist macros AND two other macros if I want
Truly, keyboard is the superior input device

Reactions: Lavama and Colossi
What he said. I mean really, holy crap. This might get me to get back into Skullgirls again.

Beware that when your cloud files are erased (with things like completed story modes, training options and entourage), this option turns off automatically.

I can't believe my fight stick is giving up on me T_T
Movement: Arrows
Punches: WER
Kicks: SDF
Macros: Q (PP) & Spacebar (Grab LP+LK)
Sadly I'm using the keyboard on my laptop.

Last edited:
I'm used to this. Sometimes I'll have to totally redo the controls for no apparent reason, so I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

Default binds yo.

ASDZXC + arrows

I'm not left-handed but I'm far better at fingering the attacks with my left hand and directions with my right. My only gripe is that pressing AZ to grab or tech is annoying to do with my left hand as it relies on my least-dominant fingers on my non-dominant hand or relies on my index and middle fingers leaving their place atop SXDC to reach over before I re-orient my fingers back to where they used to be. Other than getting used to doing that I've had no issues with this setup.

Try using grab macros on F or V to tech and (obviously) grab.

ASDZXC looks janky - I'd have to put the keyboard on an angle to deal with how the rows of keys are offset.

I heard that some people use keyboard kinda like a hitbox.

Like, with ERF for left, down and right. HUI for punches. NJK for kicks. O and L for macros. Space would be the "up".

I heard that some people use keyboard kinda like a hitbox.

Like, with ERF for left, down and right. HUI for punches. NJK for kicks. O and L for macros. Space would be the "up".
yeah it makes since to keep your hands confy

I'd personally recommend QWD rather than ERF, which is a little cramped.

It's because hitbox buttons are kinda near each other.

Vads, somebody sent me this from your site. Is it yours?
keystick.jpg

Yeah, it's what I use. I pulled the insides out of a HFS3 and use cherry reds instead of the microswitches for the stick.

Hi, I use SEF for movement and UIO and JKL for punches and kicks. There are these little bumps on the F and the J which lets me refind the keys if my hands slip off them during a match, which happens to me quite often so it's pretty useful - I always know where LK and the move right key are.

Macros: I use spacebar for dash and H for grab, assist macros are on 7 and 8.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's what I use. I pulled the insides out of a HFS3 and use cherry reds instead of the microswitches for the stick.
how the hell do you 360 with that?!

Wait you can use 4 macros in total? Where? How? I need that to defend against throws.

QWE for punches
ASD for kicks

R for Macro 1
F for Macro 2

arrowkey for movement and Space for Start, B for select

how the hell do you 360 with that?!
Well, SG makes it easy because you can just quickly tap each of the 4 directions and it'll still register thanks to a change Mike made a few months ago. In other games like SFIV I don't use grapplers at all, but there are videos on youtube of people using arrow keys to do 360s do I guess I could learn how to do it properly if I had to.

You can use 4 macros in pretty much every device, you just need enough buttons. Of course, two of them will be obligately assists.

I got to pass on that one, I still dont get it I only see two macros in the game settings

Perhaps it might help if @Colossi reposts the image from earlier - it looks as though pomf has been down for a few days.

Basically you turn on the option "Right Stick Assists". After, you can set a hotkey for "Right Stick UP" and "Right Stick DOWN", being both of the hotkeys an assist call.
I feel kinda disarmed without a screenshot uploader like Gyazo Pomf.

I lab things out on my laptop when I'm on public transport, but my QWEASD keys are starting to wear out so I now use RTYFGH with U an J as assist macros, with V and B as start and select respectively. Four macros tho, I gotta look into that shit to make labbing stuff that includes airdashes/other misc inputs slightly easier.

I don't really use keyboard to play but this is sufficient for labbing things.

Why the game let's you assign insert/home/page up but prohibits delete/end/page down? I like to use those keys for kicks.

I can do 360s on a keyboard (10 years of screwing with mugen), but I have issues with getting supers to come out instead of dash. Directions can be "heavy-handed" as an input trick, by holding the diagonals for longer than normal. Directions seem more lenient than buttons in most games. Go figure.

This layout is based on what I used for mugen, and any emulator with "too many buttons" like ps1 or n64.
Directionals: Arrows
Punches: ASD
Kicks: ZXC
Macros: F (LP+LK) and V (MP+LP)
Assist call: Q and W

I don't know what the first game I ran into was, that had the ASDZXC layout (some japanese PC fighter?), but I'm glad this game uses it, whenever one of my ghetto gamepads breaks.

Whenever I see someone with (keyboard) in their name, I go back to mine as a sort of courtesy.

I learned some time ago how to make 360 with keyboard. My main problem was not doing the motion itself, but the grab after.
Since the keys are too near each other, I used to grab or with my macro on Q, or by pressing both I and K with my right index finger. Since my Q grab macro was on the side of WASD, was hard to do the motion and press the macro on the right timing.
Now I have DOUBLE GRAB MACROS and I don't regret anything.
Space for cmd grabs, Q for regular throw because muscle memory.