• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

PS3 L3/R3 on console

Pickles

VT scene?
Reaction score
Steam
Pickles (/id/shamanlord)
PSN
PS_Shamanlord (but I rarely use this for SG)
Filia Double Painwheel
On PC SG my pad can enter L3 and R3 as valid input and I can assign actions to those buttons. On console SG however, L3/R3 are not supported as buttons. I tested on other fighting games and of the games I have that you assign buttons to actions (and not the other way around, aka marvel 3/usf4 style where the buttons are listed and you select the action that goes to them), SG and UNIEL do not accept L3/R3 but GG XRD:sign does, so since at least one game accepts L3/R3 as a valid input I assume the issue is not hardware. Would it be possible to implement this? (Last time this question was asked it was by TJ 2 years ago with no response so I thought I'd bring it up again.)

The issue is not hardware, the issue is button config.
Button config was written by someone who hasn't worked on the game in years, and it is a moderate-to-giant mess of code.

On PC, the button config is entirely different code, and it can accept "button #7" as whatever you want. Nothing knows what button is L3 or R3 or how many buttons exist on your input device.

On console, the button config automatically assigns Macro 1 and Macro 2 as whatever buttons are left over from the 8 possible choices, 4 face buttons + 4 shoulder buttons, because it can know exactly which buttons exist and all of them MUST be mapped at all times.
In order to add L3 and R3 as choices, the entire button config would have to be rewritten in code (and redesigned as a UI screen) in order to allow players to set macros by pressing unassigned buttons on the macro line.
Additionally, we don't have L3 and R3 in the font, which would mean redoing the font in a bunch of screens which is a giant PITA because Otter is a giant PITA.

We cannot bring the PC button config to console because the PC button config doesn't know anything about console buttons.

The amount of effort required to fix even just the console screen to add L3/R3 is larger than the effort required to add lobbies to a single console. It probably isn't happening, as a result.

tl;dr
No, because it's a prohibitive amount of work. Not for any technical reason, unfortunately.