• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Mac Version System Requirements

Denizen

Retired Member
Reaction score
Skullgirls will inevitably receive a Mac Version and with it I hope to move from casual to semi-casual playing.
Before that happens I have a question to ask the more technologically savvy members of the community.
When a Mac Version of Skullgirls is released what will its system requirements be?

To be honest my ulterior motive for asking this question is to find out whether or not the laptop I use for college is capable of running the game smoothly. I'm going to assume that it won't but here are my computer specifics anyway.
Model: Macbook Pro
Operating System: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM

I currently run Skullgirls through bootcamp on my Macbook. I don't know what the minimum system requirements will be, but I can provide my own system specs for a little perspective.

Model: Retina, Mid 2012
Processor: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

The game runs smooth on my computer, though there are some noticeable performance issues when it's running in tandem with some other things or if I leave my computer unplugged for a while. Of course I'm running the game through windows, which is different than running a build that's optimized for Mac OS.

Reactions: Denizen
I currently run Skullgirls through bootcamp on my Macbook. I don't know what the minimum system requirements will be, but I can provide my own system specs for a little perspective.
I sometimes use Wine to play some small games that are meant only for Windows, but I've had all sorts of problems with that program so I never thought to try it for Skullgirls. Maybe I'll try Bootcamp instead, thanks.
Model: Retina, Mid 2012
Processor: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
I don't know how much of an upgrade a Retina is from the standard Macbook Pro, but they're both Macbooks so if it worked for you then it might just work for me. I was able to run a game like Bastion without any problems so maybe my old computer can handle it. Thanks Skull, you stay based.

Reactions: Skullmageddon
I haven't really seen any games ever where the requirements for the different operating systems vary by much when a port is handled well. Have you tried it on windows on your mac?

I haven't really seen any games ever where the requirements for the different operating systems vary by much when a port is handled well. Have you tried it on windows on your mac?
No I haven't tried that yet, I'm not great with computers and I rarely ever run Windows on my Mac so I don't know what the equivalent operating systems are. Like is Snow Leopard the Windows 7 of Apple? I don't know so I'm gonna experiment with Bootcamp for a bit first. Besides I don't wanna buy a Windows copy of Skullgirls until I'm sure that I can run it, I don't have much money to throw around.

@Skullmageddon solved my problem pretty well. I'm gonna run a game through Windows that I already own with similar requirements as Skullgirls and if it works then I should be fine for the Mac Version.
If I feel like going the extra mile then I'll buy Windows Skullgirls and see if that works.

Make sure to properly back up your data before messing around with Bootcamp. Unlike something such as Wine, Bootcamp actually partitions your drive. This won't do anything to your existing Mac OS volume (assuming you have enough free space), but it's better to play things safe. You'll also want to partition a decent amount of space for windows, more so if you want to run more than SG.

Hmm...Maybe I should have my bro defragment my hard drive or whatever it is computer wizzes do before I start messing around with my laptop's operating system.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1461

Take a look at this. It goes through all of the essential details regarding installing and running Windows on Mac through Bootcamp. It's not too difficult, but you need to make sure you understand every step of the process before you begin.

One day i'll be able to play Skullgirls on my MacBook in between classes.

I'm a dreamer, damnit.

Reactions: ElementFree
I just bought skullgirls during the steam winter sale after fantasizing about it for 2 months and telling myself to wait until the steam winter sale, but when I bought it I realized it was a pc and linux only game. I was like OH COME ON. YOU PUT LINUX BEFORE MAC OS X? EVEN VALVE DIDN'T MAKE THAT MISTAKE AND THEY'VE MADE TONS OF MISTAKES IN THE PAST! So i trudged around the internet, found an app called wineskin, downloaded that, did a bunch of crap that took me like 4 hours, and when I finally finished, it took another hour to instal skullgirls on steam in wineskin AND EVEN AFTER THAT! Skullgirls runs like it's a turtle with one leg. How do i get skullgirls not go painfully slow? I can't even get past the main menu -_-

COMPUTER STATS:
Made in late 2010
Intel Core i5
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB
and 8 gigs of memory

I can't even get past the main menu, pls help

I can't even get past the main menu, pls help

I run windows via bootcamp to play SG, as well as any other pc game that I wish to play.

Neither the linux port nor the mac port are being handled by the actual dev team btw. They're both being worked on by volunteers, so whether or not they'll even be completed is questionable. I'm hopeful, but until then I'll continue to use bootcamp.

bootcamp requires you to buy windows right? Well unfortunately i'm not quite in the financial state to buy one so.... Yeah... Doesn't bootcamp also cost money?

You already have bootcamp. And yes, Windows costs money. Unless you don't care about pirating and just use a cracked copy :P

Yeah nigga just steal that shit, or if you're too much of a goody goody then borrow a friend's installation disc.

I was like OH COME ON. YOU PUT LINUX BEFORE MAC OS X? EVEN VALVE DIDN'T MAKE THAT MISTAKE AND THEY'VE MADE TONS OF MISTAKES IN THE PAST!
To be fair, it's only "supported" as pc. The mac and linux ports are from third party volunteers (I believe they're volunteering at least)

Well, I've ditched wineskin and chose instead to go with wine-bottler, which surprisingly worked much better. But now the problem is that when I try to play the characters blink 0.o, i mean i'm happy i got it to run at all but still I hope this Blinking goes away 0.o

http://getintopc.com/softwares/operating-systems/windows-7-ultimate-free-download-iso-32-and-64-bit/

You can try this. It's a trial version of 7, but there are a number of things you can do to keep using the trial version indefinitely without paying anything. I'm not going to give you step by step instructions because that's what google is for :P

It will probably be tough to get the game running perfectly through wine bottler, but you may find a way to get it running smoothly. I will still suggest using bootcamp to play pc games on your mac. If you decided to try running windows via bootcamp, make sure you fully understand what you're doing before you start and think carefully about how you want to partition your drive.

http://getintopc.com/softwares/operating-systems/windows-7-ultimate-free-download-iso-32-and-64-bit/

You can try this. It's a trial version of 7, but there are a number of things you can do to keep using the trial version indefinitely without paying anything. I'm not going to give you step by step instructions because that's what google is for :P

It will probably be tough to get the game running perfectly through wine bottler, but you may find a way to get it running smoothly. I will still suggest using bootcamp to play pc games on your mac. If you decided to try running windows via bootcamp, make sure you fully understand what you're doing before you start and think carefully about how you want to partition your drive.
ok, ill try, thanks dude. Backing up all my crap now :3

Reactions: Skullmageddon
i hate to say it but the best way to play skullgirls on a mac is by getting a pirated copy.

I DO in fact own the game on steam (all characters included) but I play a pirated version with wine and it works great! no very slight slow down no blinking and I'm using a 2009 mbp
Processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 6 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
(not 60 fps but at least 30-40 with 3d backgrounds, 50-60 2d backgrounds)

I use wine v1.4.16 that came with the earlier version of wine bottler seems to work faster than the current version. The only problem it has is after a while of playing a few matches the screen might turn black and you have to restart wine but its a small price to pay. you can at least get through an entire story mode and maybe 6 matches after before it blacks out.

I really wish they would make an actual version of Skullgirls for mac though. I don't care if its a wine skin as long as it can install itself through steam and I don't need to go through boot camp or make a ridiculous effort make the whole patch myself through pall the tall which i can never get to work.

I don't know how difficult it is to make a port for a different system but I think most people could just make a wine skin and post it like Rockstar did with its gta games. =\

Or you could bootcamp a pirated copy of windows, which allows you to play not only SG at 60 fps but other games too. I promise it's not that hard; just set it up yesterday. I've noticed a little slowdown on big multi hit attacks like BB's lvl 3, but this might be my computer. Haven't tried online yet but otherwise everything works properly.