• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Mallis animations?

killercore007

Reaction score
Steam
killercore0007
PSN
killercore007
Ms. Fortune Big Band
Mallisanimationidlebasev4_zps1638746a.png
MallisSGV2base_zpsddf3c764.png
Animation will come soon, hopefully.

EDIT: Might as well do some merging.
I might as well post the moveset for Mallis:

Character info:
The character in question's name is Mallis and she's an 11 year old girl who's parents were an up and coming crime couple, so to speak. Unfortunatly, the other mob families decided to put them down before they got too big.
Mallis was able to survive by her parents hiding her in a trash can in thier house before they were ruthlessly cut down. Mallis, now alone and afraid, wandered the streets for weeks, with her scared to go to an orphanage due to her past ties with the mob life. She scrounged for any form of money to get food to survive, being as she didn't want to resort to theft. The other mobs knew she survived but considered her no threat so they pretty much ignored her. Mallis catches wind one day of the skullheart and now seeks it to bring back her family.

To answer the combat ability question, yes, she does. You see, she has this ability to make silver colored objects using her own energy. Things like daggers, tacks, shields, things along that sort, though there is a limit to the size, complexity, and number she can do though. She discovered the ability at age 6 and when her parents found out about it, they trained her to master it. Her fighting style would be like a cross between a ninja and a rouge.
Mallis is also surprisenly athletic and puts it to full use after she ends up on the streets as a form of defense mechanism.

MOVESET
Standing
:LP:: A quick jab with a dagger
:MP:: A forward slice with one dagger
:HP:: A spin of sorts with daggers extended that goes forwards a bit, hits twice
:LK:: A quick shin kick
:MK:: An extended leg kick(Think like Ken from SF3's MK)
:HK:: A quick roundhouse that moves forward a bit
(While dashing forwards) :PP:: She does a leap and if it connects, bounces back off the opponent, putting them in a knocked down state(opponent isn't knocked down if blocked)
(While dashing forwards) :KK:: She does a leap to the opponent's head, which if it connects, she bounces forwards off of them, putting them in a knocked down state(opponent isn't knocked down if blocked)
Will add to this later.

Last edited:
I would suggest using Photoshop. Alternatively you can just use whatever program you are comfortable illustrating in. You can also go more traditional and animate with pencil and paper if that's what you're versed in.

Well, I typically, for things like this, I draw the first frame of an animation, that do that and rest of it digital using flash 8. Yes, I'm still able to save individual frames with it.

Still, was wondering what everyone else uses.

Everyone else?

*crickets chirping*

In all seriousness though, flash works for animation just fine. Zone uses it for official Skullgirls animations. Just avoid any tweening unless you want your work to look like cheap webtoons.

The various contract artists on SG all use whatever programs they want. As long as the end result is sent to LZ in the formats they require they don't care how the animations are made.

For the sake of reference, this is the size of an actual SG animation frame:

Skullmageddon said:
throw04amiss_lines.png

I've provided one of the frames I illustrated for Filia's/Fukua's grab recovery above. The image is 1922 x 968. The canvas size doesn't matter at all, what matters is Annie's size in relation to the other characters. Feel free to use this image as a reference for developing standards for Annie. If you can figure out Annie's relative height to Filia's , then you should be able to create a standard for Annie. Just keep in mind that Filia is both bending at the knees AND on her heels in this frame, not to mention the irregularity of her hair.

Everyone else?

*crickets chirping*

In all seriousness though, flash works for animation just fine. Zone uses it for official Skullgirls animations. Just avoid any tweening unless you want your work to look like cheap webtoons.

I see. I typically never use tweening anyways though.

EDIT: Oh, I meant "Still, was wondering what everyone else uses." as in checking to see if there was a better way, so to speak.

EDIT2: First post updated.

EDIT3: So....Any comments on the first frame? Do not say anything about how the arm on our left looks strange position wise though, I know about it already and it'll be fixed when actual animation is started.
Only exception is if you have an idea how it should be positioned better.

Last edited:
Major edit in first post. Hopefully now this will appeal to the SG community...

Last edited:
Im confused, your character is now suddenly a human? The stance doesn't make very much sense. Besides proportion issues I dont see the reason why she's standing like that.
It's not due to lack of confidence in her fighting skills, but rather to express the fact that she's not used to full fledged combat like in the actual game.

Phoenix Wright is not anything close to a fighter yet he keeps a pretty solid stance. Also it doesnt make sense when you have this in the description as well
Her fighting style would be like a cross between a ninja and a rouge.
Mallis is also surprisingly athletic and puts it to full use after she ends up on the streets as a form of defense mechanism

If she has all this skill and large variety of weapons then why is she still insecure about her fighting ability? Here's my take on the stance that I hope will help out
fdfaccea66.png

@Immaevilspacewhale

Let me explain better then:
I shouldn't say lack of confidence. Rather more like, when she fights, she tries mainly to just subdue the assailant long enough to escape. For months, this is how she does it. At the start of her theroretical story mode though, she's suddenly thrust into fights she can't simply run from, so it's basically like a shock, like a "oh shit, can I get through this?" kind of deal.

The reason for her being human now was that people here were giving me too much flak about her being a furry so...

As for the Phoenix Wright thing, true, but he has the confidence. Mallis, can be a bit of a coward at times, lol.

Ok, changed some stuff to it, and I tried the back foot thing as you can see(also can see that that part sucks, lol)

The reason for her being human now was that people here were giving me too much flak about her being a furry so...

If they don't have a reason, aside from "It's an anthropomorphic animal, and I don't like anthropomorphic animals, so your character is invalid!" or anything similar, then ignore them. It's really only an atrocity if the established universe doesn't have such species yet, because then you're twisting canon just for the sake of cramming one character in there, but Skullgirls has the Feral group, so it's completely legitimate.

Stay true to your creations unless you see a legitimate, well-argued, and logical reason not to. Because a person usually designs a character's aspects for a reason, so getting rid of one aspect could easily muddy the other aspects of the character.

Also, it'd pretty much just be a person with a tail and pointy ears, that is not a big enough difference for people to be giving any flak about. (This is contrary to my previous point, but my previous point was a general note, where this was - clearly - specific to your situation.)

I was never bothered by her being a feral; in fact, the only thing I had to say on that note was that she didn't quite seem to resemble other ferals (Which I never bothered to voice before, because I would be poor at explaining it, because I haven't paid all that much attention to what the "model feral" is supposed to be like). Denizen would be better at explaining it than me, since he has paid that sort of attention, but he stopped looking at the fan character scene a while ago.

No, no, my big, important issues with Mallis were with her as a character, not as a species.

Reactions: Denizen
what does it matter if she is a feral, She will never ever be canon in any form so draw her however

To answer the replies about my furry statement, there have been people(who I shall not name) who basically told me they had no interest just because she was a furry. Normally, I would just ignore it but the said people are kind of revered here, in the sense, so...

I was never bothered by her being a feral; in fact, the only thing I had to say on that note was that she didn't quite seem to resemble other ferals (Which I never bothered to voice before, because I would be poor at explaining it, because I haven't paid all that much attention to what the "model feral" is supposed to be like). Denizen would be better at explaining it than me, since he has paid that sort of attention, but he stopped looking at the fan character scene a while ago.

No, no, my big, important issues with Mallis were with her as a character, not as a species.

Oh, wasn't even aware that you were one who disagreed with the character being a Feral, though you said it was more of her character in general. (I should probably look back over the Original Character thread, I think I might have glanced over some posts related to the character and the argument.)

I thought that Ferals came in a ton of variation, as Albus is vastly different in terms of "amount of animal qualities" from Nadia. I am not entirely familiar with the canon, however, so I am not certain. (I'm not even sure that Horace and Albus ARE Ferals, I mean, Dagonians get their own group, even though they are animal-people too. So, yeah, not an expert.)

Also, if you haven't elaborated on the real reason why you don't like the character on the Original Character thread, you should probably do so when stating that you dislike a character - that way it can be constructive criticism. (I will go check the aforementioned thread, I just didn't do so now, as I was in the process of typing this already and didn't want to lose my train of thought.)

But, as always, it's okay to have opinions, so do not feel that you have to change your mind if you cannot properly think of why you dislike the character. Sometimes it is just a vibe that can't really be explained, that happens to everybody at some point. I'm just saying that one should always attempt to make their critique constructive.

Unrelated: (@DeathArcana) You totally joined my "Beginners" lobby one day and wrecked me good, you are no beginner, you are a liar and a meanie, and I love your adorable avatar. I want to dislike you for scrubbing the floor with a scrub like me in a scrub-only lobby, but your avatar is too cute. Curses.

Well, finally got to the maybe finalized frame before I start the actual animation. Yes, she's back to being a furry cuz...screw your bashing.

0/10 put in Skeleboners
That, put that way, makes...no sense. Unless it's just yet another "fix anatomy" comment...