• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Metal Gear Solid/Rising - The best is going to end soon

Didn't get to start it up yet last night. Gonna try and go wild and enjoy myself with the game a bit tonight. Is the verdict so far that the game is overall good?

Well, in Metal Gear Solid IV you could basically pull Rocket Launchers out of your ass if you had enough Drebin Points.
I remember when I was fighting Laughing Octopus in her Beauty form, I got freaked out about how she wanted Snake's booty, so I bought a Rocket Launcher and shot it right in her face, health dipped down like nuts.

Just found a certain someone on the med platform.
Are you fucking kidding me?

Y'all are playing MGSV already and I just finished Snake Eater

ugh, I want my MGS GZ free stuff, but of course all my GZ data is on my PS4...dang nabit, I wanted my low poly snake D:

Got mgs5 phantom pain yesterday, played it last night.

Holy shit is all I can say about the prologue. Won't spoil anything but yeah... First time I've REALLY enjoyed a game besides a fighting game, in a loooong time. After the prologue when I got into the actual game, yo... This shit is superb. Maybe even a bit to complicated, maybe not. But all I know is that when I play I'm engrossed.

10/10 so far.

@Dime_x if you liked the prologue you're going to love something about 20 missions in, somehow MGSV is enough of a horror game that it takes some of the edge of never getting Silent Hills off.

I like how MGS V isn't really THAT complicated in the control scheme. Going off the Peace Walker model and showing you when you can do some things but also making you pay attention to the surrounds for things like radio stations you can blow up is great! Still love how the game heavily rewards getting close and personal with the tranq gun and CQC, which I prefer over killing blokes. A lot of times you hear ppl complain about games showing you when you can perform actions with contextual buttons, but honestly, I think it helps MGS V. It shows you when you're close enough to CQC, what to hit to get on top of things and such, and I feel, which how complex the controls can be, it really helps the game shine.

I'm still not that far into it. I keep hearing about some 'naked' lady at the power plant, whom I assume is Quiet, but when I trekked all the way out there, it was just a buncha guards as per normal. So I'm assuming its a side mission or something.

Really wish that the helicopter could pick me up and drop me off at different landing zones outside Mother Base. I assume I will be able to do this once I get enough landing zones opened up, but its still a pain to ride everywhere when you want to get stuff done in one sitting.

I assume I will be able to do this once I get enough landing zones opened up, but its still a pain to ride everywhere when you want to get stuff done in one sitting.
Look for these yellow/orange square pads with signs next to them in the larger bases, once you take the paper off the sign you can now use it for fast travel, you get in a box and sit on the pad to initiate it, you're mailing yourself around the map.

Also, should have made this more clear earlier, once you have a medic deck you need to go explore it, upstairs you will find something interesting and it seems like a very important side quest.

Sorry for triple posting, but just a quick heads up, the ending of the game wasn't finished so when you wonder why something major was not resolved, blame Konami.

Also, you know, know going in that there is a major part of the ending missing so it doesn't fuck you when you get there.

Great.

Reminder not to buy anything from Konami anymore.

Also I heard that you need to finish all missions on hard to unlock the real ending.

Also I heard that you need to finish all missions on hard to unlock the real ending.
Those are not the conditions for the True End, at least I don't think they are, but yeah, it does need to be unlocked, however what I'm referring to is not covered in it.

Also, bit of a warning, once you complete chapter one there is a "next time on" type video, you probably want to skip this because there is some stuff in it you'd rather see when you get to it. Just saying.

Last edited:
So the ending is going to be patched in? DLCed in? :/ Pls no Asura's Wrath situation. C'mon Konami, I don't have any faith in you, but at least don't stoop to THAT! Asura's Wrath DLC was at least priced fairly in tandem with how much it costs to pick it up nowadays, but DLCed story stuff like endings...ugh.

Wow, I haven't gotten Phantom Pain yet, but seriously? The ending got chopped?
Sigh.
Well, time to belt out that gif again
a0QZwpP.gif

Reactions: shoryusatsu999
There was also that whole server issue with the PC version. They said they fixed it, but I still can't connect consistently. I mean, I haven't unlocked FOB or any online stuff yet, so its not a big deal, but it seems that despite how excellent the package is, Konami still screwed a few things up here XD

So you have to unlock the ending? How do you do that?

So the ending is going to be patched in? DLCed in? :/ Pls no Asura's Wrath situation. C'mon Konami, I don't have any faith in you, but at least don't stoop to THAT! Asura's Wrath DLC was at least priced fairly in tandem with how much it costs to pick it up nowadays, but DLCed story stuff like endings...ugh.
I mean, I would completely agree with you if it weren't for the fact we'd be lucky to get it as DLC at this point.

So you have to unlock the ending? How do you do that?
Beat everything on extreme and then something with having or not having a certain emblem and maybe some other stuff, seeing a lot of different answers.

I think having all cassette tapes also seems to count into something.

To get the ending? You need to beat everything on extreme and other stuff to get to the real ending of the video game? That is complete horseshit. This is actually unforgivable.

At least I can hope that this might be patched/DLC'ed in by the time I beat MGS4 and Peace Walker.

I don't buy the "must have an Emblem" and "complete everything on Extreme". Do we have a verifyable source yet / statement?

Seems very much like gamefaqs world.

Edit: I am having a blast so far, asides from desperately only wanting ZZZ or STN Items. Only getting around to EP 23-24+ and I definitely need to start ironing out the rest of the side-ops. When is Huey gonna get his shit together and build me some shit

Just complete all the main ops and have a max S-Link with Quiet and you should get the true ending automatically, but there are some significant consequences to that action. If you have a specific emblem part equipped, the true ending sequence won't occur, and you can still freeroam and try for side-ops and S-ranks.

More detailed, but spoiler-y;

Once you get to act two, the story sort of starts falling apart. There really aren't very many story missions; in fact, there are only around ten or so. The rest of act two is made up of 'challenge' missions, which are re-do's of earlier missions except more difficult. If you beat all of these, and have a maxed out bond with Quiet, then you'll unlock the last few story missions for the true ending. The chain of events that leads into the bad ending causes you to, among other things, permanently lose Quiet (Even for the post-game freeroam), and this happens automatically once all the requirements are met for the true ending. However, if you have the butterfly part on your custom emblem (Which you unlock by getting the 'Butterfly' codename on a mission by having quiet neutralize more enemies then you on three missions in a row), then the cutscene won't play. You won't be able to get the true ending, but Quiet will still be available to take with you on side-ops or mission replays. Once she's gone, though, she's gone for good, and barring a patch in the future, you'll never be able to take her with you again.

Wait
The true ending is a bad ending?

Wait
The true ending is a bad ending?

Uhh... Kinda?

(Not really spoilers, but if you're trying to go in clean, might want to avoid).
It's kind of a downer, but not really good or bad. Can't really say more without going into more detail.

EDIT: I forgot to mention in the previous post, but to get the true ending you also have to level up Mother Base to a certain level, so if you did everything else and don't have it, then that's probably why.

Does anyone else find the Skulls to be the most terrifying enemy type in any game ever?

Maybe the fast ones, because their movements are kinda erratic, but the big dudes with the armour? Not really. The only time their threatening is when there's a few of them. With only one or two of them, it's actually kinda underwhelming.

Wow Konami really hates us if they did that on purpose and negatively.

Reactions: shoryusatsu999
Anyone else just kind of surprised by the game going full horror game on multiple occasions? I'm through mission 43 and that mission, well, it's not fun.

For anyone who has finished chapter 1.
How did you feel about Skull Face being more of a nothing villain than Volgin? Volgin at least had a real motivation and a purpose in the story, he also didn't say "No guys, YOU don't know what the Boss wanted, what the Boss really wanted was everyone who speaks English to die so there isn't a common language and then every terrorist group, small country, etc. should have nukes!"

Skull Face has such amazing build up then you find out he's just an insane moron and then he's gone, leaving Ocelot to do tapes explaining basically the entire plot of the game thus far because it doesn't add up. We spent over half the game on this asshole who really is a minor villain, and I can't fathom why other than the game being rushed, as evidenced by some true end stuff being cut.

Also, some of the shit Skull Face says in GZ was interesting because he was saying things that only made sense if he was somehow present during Snake Eater and Peace Walker, he also talks about his long history with you, aand then we just get a throwaway line about how he's just been shadowing you for the CIA forever.

Also, for anyone else who is up through 43.
That 10 minute recording of Strangelove's death was pretty fucked. I didn't imagine I could hate Huey THIS much, I knew he was scum, covering for Skull Face deep into the game was enough proff of this, but god damn.

I don't buy the "must have an Emblem" and "complete everything on Extreme".
Well it is have a certain emblem, but not have it equipped, basically. Also you seem to need to do extreme missions to progress at all some times, this has been the case for me. I don't even know if this game has difficulty settings, extreme missions are specific missions you've already played but harder, there are only a handful.

So, I got the true end despite the last mission I completed was 43, everything after it was unlocked except 45, which is something else, I know it's locked but cause I'm using the specific emblem. Not sure what the hell is going on unlocking it.

End game stuff
Wait if Zero hid Big Boss it was exclusively Skull Face going after him? Then why did Skull Face go after him in the first place when MSF considered Cipher an enemy?

Oh wow, one third of my base just died from the thing. fml.

I've been enjoying the game a lot so far, this is the first mgs game I've played but I've kept up with a lot of the story cause its interesting and I have friends that actually play these games. The music selection is fantastic and the ability to add your own custom songs is super cool.

I gotta say though, pretty much most of the main characters are grumpy old men, and the only cool one is ocelot and you don't get to hang out with him. Snake's a grumbly bumblefuck and Miller is a paranoid crazy person and I have not agreed with much of anything he has said.

That being said, the game is great and has an amazing system of maps and stuff for an open world game, I usually lose interest in open world games super fast but the mission system and overall super gameplay keeps me hooked, though I really wish there was a way to manually save the game cause sometimes the checkpoints can be really punishing if you screw up.

So, I'm pretty far into the game at this point, and I've seen a lot of the endgame from playing with a friend of mine who's been rushing the main story campaign, and honestly, this might be my least favourite Metal Gear game. Honestly, I think I might prefer Ghost Babel to this, and I almost certainly would take PO-OPS over it. Maybe not Snake's Revenge, but still, this game just doesn't seem like that great of a Metal Gear game.

I'm going to try to remain as spoiler free as possible, but there'll still probably be some, so be warned.

Honestly, this game just seems pointless. It completely fails to explain the one thing that is sets out to (How Big Boss became evil), and it feels like the only real explanation that this game provides to BB's story is a plot-hole from the MSX games that no one even gave a shit about. So the plot's largely self-contained, and there's nothing wrong with that; MGS3 was largely self contained too, at least when it first came out, and that's one of my favourite games of all time, so what gives? Well, MGS3 actually had a good plot. MGSV... not so much, and I think a good part of that is because it's so sparsely placed. The games 'main missions', and I do feel the need to say that in quotes, are so rarely important, you could easily skip straight through half of them, and that's not even including the hard mode re-do's. It feels like a TV show that's 70% filler, and not even the good kind of filler that explains characters in more detail and expands on sub-plots that aren't in the main plot's scope, but the bad kind of filler, where it's just the main characters doing stuff with barely any context, the kind that you can just skip past on the DVD box set (Or, the Netflix stream? Amazon Prime digital download?... Hulu? I don't know what people do anymore), and lose nothing. Then, season two comes around, and there's a pretty good arc going on, but then they forget to finish it, take a season hiatus, and just play re-runs for the majority of the season, re-runs of filler, keep in mind, and then at the series finale they just do an, admittedly cool, two-parter, and then kill all the fan-favourite characters for shock value, and then throw in a random twist at the end for no real reason.
TL;DR, The story isn't that good, but how is the gameplay? Well, amazing, to put it shortly. All the mechanics are great, and the freedom to cut infiltrate what you will is done very well, and it's a bar-setter, not only for stealth games, but maybe games in general, but I'm not a particularly huge fan of the open-world gameplay. It's well designed, to be sure, not as content-dry as something like Skyward Sword, while not being bogged down in collectibles like in the Assassin's Creed series, but my main problem is that it doesn't feel like I'm accomplishing anything; outposts that I 'capture are filled back up like that, and while putting too many worthless things is bad in an open-world game, MGSV has very little that feels worthwhile; the open-world just feels like a bother, though that might just be my overall distaste for open-world games.

TL;DR 8/10 game, like 3.5/10 Metal Gear game (In my opinion).