• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Mighty No. 9

This is actually starting to look better than I expected. Thanks for the in detail write ups Zugama, mcpeanuts, and co, will read more closely when I have time.

Also about the lives system: First off it's subjective, second it depends on the game. Some games are better off with lives, some aren't. But to call the concept of lives in general outdated or archaic is not something I can agree with.

They are now holding a vote for Call's weapon. I voted for type-D because it's a fucking gun.

I voted C - cause I wanted D but then I thought "Why would she use Gunvolt's gun? That would just cause people to cry of "cross promotion" and garbage".

So yeah. Bow it is.

So Mighty No. 2's stage was added into the demo today.

I played it, but uh, be warned: If you have a craptop like me, play on ALL LOW. Heck, even on all low it stuttered at times (though maybe cause I was recording too...)

So, impressions:
Stage and boss are easier than Mighty No. 5's. The hardest part is the annoying pong-miniboss you fight twice. Water sucks, but it's not around for long. Ice sucks too. I never made it down the part where you're falling with spikes on both sides - what's down there?

Boss pattern for No. 2 (Cryosphere, a name I don't care for) is a little annoying simply due to the ice. Otherwise, easier than No. 5 IMO.

I want this on my Wii U so bad, cause like, my laptop HATED this level. Again, maybe cause I was recording, but still. It CHUGGED.

Video playthrough coming tomorrow. I mean, I got a schedule to keep up with, ya know? One a day.

Was able to try out Mighty No. 2's stage. Here are my long impressions of it. Wrote this late at night, so I may have not explained out things too well and it might sound as if I had a lot to complain about. I still enjoyed the stage though, but I did have some issues with some parts of it.

I agree with Goodbye18000 that the stage is much easier than Mighty No. 5's. There are certainly much less enemies here and the spikes are not really placed in areas that are dangerous. I am glad though that there appeared to be quite a lot of new enemies in this stage compared to No. 5's. Helps with the variety. The enemies that send out spiked bouncing balls are pretty cool because if you affect the terrain, you can change where their attack goes, so you need to be careful there.

I personally do not enjoy underwater section that much, but not because I hate water levels, because if you design them well, then they can turn out to be fantastic levels that use the water mechanic really well with other mechanics, such as Treasure Knight's stage in Shovel Knight in my opinion.

With this stage, it feels as if you are thrown into the water and it is just kinda there. It has two unique enemies that are good for the section, but the terrain here is pretty much just a long straight section with some ladders to climb up on eventually. It just doesn't feel that cohesive to me because if you took out the water, like nothing would change about this section because it feels as if it is just not used at all, besides maybe one jump you could not reach with the extra height.

I guess you also need the underwater section for the falling against spike sequence like Megaman, but I personally wished there was more to this section, like perhaps with No. 2 controlling ice, there could be ice chunks that fall throughout the water or could be climbed on, or at least added hazards to make you have to maneuver carefully around the water. It just feels like wasted potential at the moment, though it is not like it is downright terrible or anything, just mediocre in my eyes.
(I also think that the sound of being underwater is quite loud and drowns out both the music and other sound effects too much, and I believe is should be much more quiet.)

Also Goodbye18000, if you continue to head down the spike section, you'll just end falling into the same area, just more leftwards of the big cliff in which you'll run into a few more enemies.

The ice section of the stage is the much better half. There are ice blocks that you can break, in which sometimes you'll have to do so to reach new areas or attack enemies. They also spring up from the ground sometimes so you need to watch where you are going. Gotta be careful sometimes because if you destroy too many, you might prevent yourself from getting certain items or reaching some platforms. The floor is also somewhat slick, but I never found it too noticeable, but it is possible to slide into a pit of spikes if you are not too careful.

Like with the first section though, there are not too many enemies, and it is also much shorter than it as well. Perhaps to make both sections fit better together, they could add in the ice block mechanics to the underwater section, in which you could use them to progressive further in the water.

This stage also has a mini-boss that is basically two robots playing pong who get faster as you fight them. They are pretty enjoyable to fight, and in their second battle, Mighty No .2 will stand above you and try to attack you as well, which I really like because it makes them feel much more alive when they are trying to stop you from progressing in their stage, plus it is a great way to make the fight more difficult.

The boss fight with Mighty No. 2, Cryosphere, though on the easy side, is a really fun fight. She'll hover around with a water blast and try to freeze it on top of you. When she does that, she creates ice blocks, in which she'll stand on top of them and firing ice that sticks to the floor or ice balls that go across the stage. If you get hit, you'll freeze, and then she'll try to damage you by becoming a large spiked ball and landing on you, though you can escape being frozen. During the next half of the battle, she hover and spray a frozen blast up and down, in which you'll have to time your dash correctly to not be frozen.

She is not too difficult compared to Battalion because when she freezes you, she does little damage, in which you can avoid her big damage attack if you get out of being frozen. Perhaps that is what they were going for, but to perhaps make her tougher, she could also have some attacks that just deal damage instead, such as bouncing around the stage as the spike ball, in which her wall can act as a wall to bounce her back as well.

In the stage, you can also see Mighty No. 1 helping you out. I do believe then that as you save the Numbers that they'll begin to help you through the stages, but it might just be as an extra story feature. I mean Mighty No. 1 was kinda in the background destroying ice and stuff, however, it did not really affect your stage at all. With Cryosphere in Battalion's stage though, she froze some enemies, so perhaps it depends on the stage to the extent that they will help.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
A few thoughts on the new stage in whatever order I happen to think of them (we're spoiler tagging these I guess? okay)

-This stage is... quite a bit more graphics intensive than the last one! I didn't even realize how poorly my computer was handling the water effects until I set everything to "Low" and was like wooooow I'm moving like twice as fast now. There's also two specific points where my framerate instantly goes to shit. At this point I know exactly when it's going to happen, too. It's like there's an invisible line and as soon as I cross it the game says ok 5 FPS now.

-I like the ice sections, specifically the parts right after the first miniboss and right after the second miniboss. There's some satisfying jumping and dashing you get to do. That second part in particular has some points where there's enemies in the way you need to get rid of, but they only take 1 shot so you don't have to stop moving to kill them. You have to do like dash > jump > shoot > dash > hold right > dash > jump > shoot > dash > jump, and I enjoy little sequences like that.

-Normally you fall slightly after an air dash, but while you're underwater you don't. As a result there are two points in the underwater section where you can just fly over everything. Is this intended? Can't imagine Inti Creates would want me to just skip huge portions of their stage like this.

-Mighty No 2 isn't too tough but holy shit if you get hit once by anything you get punished so hard. Getting hit at all in that fight or missing the 3 cycle must cost like 20 seconds.

-I don't really like the first fight with the miniboss because it can fly to the top of the screen and become unhittable. It seems really luck based honestly, sometimes they just want to hang out up where you can't hit it. The refight is a lot more tolerable because the miniboss can't go high enough to completely avoid your shots.

-No transformations still? :( I guess no one said they would be in the beta with this update, but I guess I just assumed once we had two stages, the transformations would be in there.

-I remember reading in one of the email updates that Inafune beat the falling spike section on his first try. Having played it, now I'm pretty impressed by that. It's not hard once you know the layout, but at least the first time you try it there's one point where you have to dash and I didn't react in time.

-Is there really only one sprinter bonus in this stage? The last stage had a bunch but in this one I could only find one. Maybe I'm not going fast enough...

-No transformations still? :( I guess no one said they would be in the beta with this update, but I guess I just assumed once we had two stages, the transformations would be in there.

If you beat Number 2, go into 5's and pause, you can see you have 2's power - but there's no way to use it.

So they're in, they're just not... in.

Anyway, here's me playing it blind. Fun fact, I had the game freeze on me once. Ironic considering the stage.

New update reveals that they've taken funds from people updating their pledges (which was previously going nowhere) and now they have enough for voice acting in the game - however, they only have enough for one language. If they get more it'll be dual audio, but for now they're hosting a vote for English or Japanese full VA.

Meaning all those little text pop ups will be totally understandable even in high action parts. Unless it's in Japanese in which case no one but the few Japanese people who donated will be able to.

Don't any of you weebs dare vote Japanese

This is kinda annoying to me. Whether the voice acting is good or not depends on the voice actors, not the language.......plus why exactly isn't there enough money for more than one language in the budget?

This is kinda annoying to me. Whether the voice acting is good or not depends on the voice actors, not the language.......plus why exactly isn't there enough money for more than one language in the budget?

They broke it down in the update

37e76f16a2c49b2cb72d859936eb2fca_large.png

Now, the $100,000 they have from Slacker Backing is covering the one language (they took the extra $10,760 from other sources), but that's just it - the ONE LANGUAGE. You have to DOUBLE this for the other, due to it all being different. Games aren't just translated, they're localized, with stuff being changed and fixed for the other countries.

Reactions: Covenant
They broke it down in the update

37e76f16a2c49b2cb72d859936eb2fca_large.png

Now, the $100,000 they have from Slacker Backing is covering the one language (they took the extra $10,760 from other sources), but that's just it - the ONE LANGUAGE. You have to DOUBLE this for the other, due to it all being different. Games aren't just translated, they're localized, with stuff being changed and fixed for the other countries.
Thanks. I didnt see the breakdown and thought they specifically meant the voice acting cost. More voice acting would very well increase the price by N times.

私は英語に投票したとGoogleの翻訳は吸う

Yeah as it turns out Google Translate sucks even at translating something that was translated by Google Translate.

I wanted to say: "I voted for English, Google Translate sucks" as little joke, because it's in Japanese, saying I didn’t vote for Japanese. And because Google Translate sucks.

Good Heavens Google Translate sucks.

Reactions: juju_for_president
More importantly there's a new stage in the beta. I'm surprised how quick they're getting these out. It's been about 3 weeks since Mighty No. 2's stage came out, and that was 3 weeks after the beta came out. I didn't think April 2015 was a realistic release date, but at the rate they're going that might actually be possible.

I'll probably stream the new stage when I get home.

FUCK YES ENGLISH

And yeah, I'll be playing this stage tonight. It's the last one for the Beta, apparently. That's cool, I'll take it! They also say this one's the hardest. Fuck.

I'm still surprised English won. Not surprised that most of the comments I'm seeing is a bunch of weeaboo butthurt about it.

That potential DLC looks pretty cool though. And apparently, all backers get it for free. I kinda wanna know what we've got to do to get that made.

Mighty No 0

And it's totally Zero

I'm super stoked, but I wonder if that will require more slacker backing? If so, I doubt it'll be made. Seems like everyone who wants the game already is on it.

edit: video for those who haven't seen

Last edited:
Oh yeah, totally forgot about the new beta level and vid. Hehe, I love that it's Zero. Unlike some of the commenters on the Kickstarter page, I'm getting more excited for this everyday!

Oh yeah, totally forgot about the new beta level and vid. Hehe, I love that it's Zero. Unlike some of the commenters on the Kickstarter page, I'm getting more excited for this everyday!

MN9 has a lot of things going against it:
  • The whole stupid incident with Dina. All of it. It's stupid on both ends.
  • The fact that they announced the Slacker Backer stuff in the wrong way making it seem like they're asking for MORE money
  • The fact Inafune wants this as a "brand" for Comcept and has Beck cameoing in games he's helped with (makes some people mad)
  • The fact that people see "DLC" and immediately get up in arms over WHYAREYOUNOTRELEASINGTHISASINGAMECONTENT instead of "this is free extra stuff coming later"
Combined with the voices being in English, shafting half the people who wanted Japanese voices (those guys better upgrade so they get more slacker money), I've seen so many people angry, but you know what?

Screw 'em.

This game looks awesome and they really should get off their high horses.

Gave the new stage a shot. It seems significantly easier than the other two stages. The only exception is a bit between the miniboss fights where you have to slide under some rotating saws. That part is actually pretty precise, like oddly precise in contrast to the whole rest of the game. Most of the game is like, things that aren't super duper precise, but they're hard because the relevant bits are moving around and you have to do it quickly (for example having to dodge moving enemies or shots). This is more like, you have absolutely as long as you want to line it all up so good, but there's less margin for error than on like any other trap in the game. I guess it's good they're trying something different that's not like the rest of the game, but, I dunno, I don't really think it works. Also it took a long time for me to even realize that's what you were supposed to do.

Anyways other than that part I think it's a fun stage, and even that part wasn't really that bad after I had a little practice with it. I'm sad now because I don't get to play another new stage until April (at the earliest! longer than that if the game gets delayed)

After seeing the update, I'm kinda surprised how similar Ray ended up resembling Zero, given their initial sketches for him. Even now, it seems like he could look fairly different with just a few color alterations. Obviously the homage is intentional, just like with Call.

I'm also surprised that they once again managed to create a "Zero" design that could initially be interpreted as a female. Ray's totally got heels and a bustline in some of those sketches, and they even persist in calling him "it" in the update. Maybe the "gender" is actually still up in the air?

Hey, I've always wanted a badass girl-Zero, so if there's still any hope here, then bring it on!

After seeing the update, I'm kinda surprised how similar Ray ended up resembling Zero, given their initial sketches for him. Even now, it seems like he could look fairly different with just a few color alterations. Obviously the homage is intentional, just like with Call.
We almost avoided that Call catastrophe, we were so close...

So he wants more money for a DLC now? It seems like his work at Capcom had more consequences then I thought, he adapted their methods too well.

Also I couldn’t care less about the DLC since it doesn’t include the feature to play the game as Ray. That would have been interesting.

Well, this is just another stretch goal, really. The funding isn't done until the game is out - for slacker backers.

Also I got another beta code for some reason. I might give that away at some point...

[starts groveling]
Ahem....
Anyway, I'm hoping the slacker backers manage to pull it off. That looks like a cool boss/rival.

Looks pretty cool, I personally will not put any money towards it though.

I've started speedrunning the three stages that are in the beta. I feel like this can be done in under 11 minutes, so that's my goal for now. This is the best I've done so far, I did really bad on the first two stages and also got bad luck on Mighty No. 3, but it's also the best I've ever done on Military Base:

Reactions: KaboomKid