• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Mighty No. 9

Mighty number 9 is like cheap microwave food you buy at the store. The packaging shows and tells of a succulent and delicious meal inside, it shows a picture of mouthwater meal on the front with promise of a tasty meal. You buy it and drive home with it however when you open it it's a frozen block of processed foods.

Sure after microwaving it can be considered passable after all it's not the worst food you had but it's also not the best. It's mediocre and while some people might enjoy it it still comes off as a dissapointing meal because the box promised so much more.

Mighty number 9 is cheap microwaveable food.

The same way a lot of people said Skullgirls was, design wise, a lot of fanservice and panty shots and we both know it's much more than that.
You'd be correct if I was talking about its art direction and not the quality.

Like, I don't think making pizza explosions count as art direction. By design, the game looks way too glossy. Like, I get that its trying for a more pristine clean look, but the way they did it makes it look like grease was applied everywhere to give it a shiny texture.

Mighty number 9 is like cheap microwave food you buy at the store. The packaging shows and tells of a succulent and delicious meal inside, it shows a picture of mouthwater meal on the front with promise of a tasty meal. You buy it and drive home with it however when you open it it's a frozen block of processed foods.

Sure after microwaving it can be considered passable after all it's not the worst food you had but it's also not the best. It's mediocre and while some people might enjoy it it still comes off as a dissapointing meal because the box promised so much more.

Mighty number 9 is cheap microwaveable food.

that a bunch of people payed $4 million for that they're never getting back

Because then you end up owning a game you don't like.

Seriously, you are SUPPOSED to check opinions on those before buying.

but the problem comes from regurgitating those views without actually trying it yourself. reviews and opinions are often skewed or guided. was Titanfall the best game ever, and do you believe X-men apocalypse was trash, because that's what reviewers wanted you to believe. I personally didn't agree with either

was Titanfall the best game ever, and do you believe X-men apocalypse was trash.

I use the "Majority" opinion, which those do not represent.

Because then you end up owning a game you don't like.

Seriously, you are SUPPOSED to check opinions on those before buying.

ICPHUb7.jpg

*snip*

I'd apreciate if you explained instead of using snarky pictures.

I guess you're talking about regurgitating opinions without veryfing yourself? Sorry, but spreading the word is an important thing in this day and age.

People need to be warned so in case they wanted to buy the game previously, they can reverify it's quality themselves in whatever form they wish.

Last edited:
Played it (almost done). If this game was put out by Capcom as Mega No. 9 people would literally be fine with it. There are at least 5 or 6 worse main series Megaman games. It's not as refined as some of the Megaman titles, but none of the times when the MM series tried something new had it right the first game. I played with Japanese voices and didn't mind the VO's one bit. The art looks weird when you aren't playing, but when you are you don't notice it (sorta like the SG panty shots, I guess). It does have frame rate problems (playing on pc, idk about ps4 or anything else) and some design bits that could use work, but it's only distracting if you have a massive raging hard on for picking at every little thing and not letting go.

TLDR; it could use polish, but it's literally a fine game.

From what I've seen and played, it's about decent to mediocre. It appears nothing was refined from the comic con demo I played, and that it's a playable but kind of boring game with a LOT of technical issues. I might give the full game a play, but I'll probably wait for a sale.

Meanwhile, there are old side scrollers you could be playing in emulators that are 1000x better, not to mention doujin/indie titles like Gigantic Army, Freedom Planet, Shovel Knight, etc. My standards are a bit high. Just being "playable" does not make a game worthy of played in my book.

I'll be honest, I've played worse official MegaMan games out of Capcom than this. I'd say it's about as good as MMX5, though to be honest, I was never really fond of X5. A solid 7/10 for me, though there were a lot of problems - mainly level design and cheap deaths (looking at you, Pyrogen). Apparently, I'm one of the lucky ones, because I never encountered any freezes, glitches or other problems. Plus I'm a fan of cheesy voice acting and Saturday morning cartoon-level storylines, so that problem helped the game in my eyes.

I'd like to see a sequel to this, but they're going to have to focus on delivering a better product than delivering on so many platforms. Hopefully, a future iteration of the series would focus both on less platforms and also be developed in an engine that didn't get dropped by its creator while the game itself is being developed.

So, for now, we gotta wait for Red Ash and see what happens with Comcept. I'd like to see a sequel to Mighty N° 9 with all the things that they left on the blackboard, especially the original transformation power.

Reactions: Shockdingo
>I go online with steam...

"ah what games to play..."

>see that Mike Z is playing a game.

"Huh what is he playing..."

>Might No.9

"Oh... I guess Mike's trying to figure out just what is going on with that game... for you know... science... or what ever"

I beat the game. I found enjoyment in the game, but did have some issues. Here are some things I would change if I could:
-Make it so sliding on Ice doesn't happen when landing from a jump
-Lengthen Beck's shots a bit
-Make dashing into a wall give vertical height (to help when you fall just below the ledge and can't grab it and all you can do is dash at the wall a few times before falling to your death)
-Make minimum dash length shorter so tapping the dash doesn't overshoot on small platforms
-Make insta-death not kill on touching the side (slid down the left end of a hang over with a electric fence under it. Thought I'd be safe, but touching the side of the spikes killed me)
-Make water clearer
-Reduce special weapon damage against bosses not weak to that weapon (Ice weapon beat helicopter man pretty free, and bomb weapon beat sniper guy FREE)
-Make tank weapon able to live on cutman stage's road (I died cause I just assumed I could drive on the road)
-Make it so you can change weapons by scrolling through them (currently, if I'm ice weapon, I gotta scroll to another weapon then hit the button. Wanna just scroll through weapons like in any other MM game. Even if there was an option to let you pick which method you'd prefer)
-Invincibility for short period after absorbing Xel
-Make absorbable enemies get adsorbed on touch (It's a terrible feeling getting hurt by touching a absorbable enemy)
-Shorter cutscenes (the ones that were there dragged a little, especially since they were happening after like every mission)
-Make enemies not able to clip through the wall (particularly noticeable in the final stage)
-Reduce weapon energy costs for the more expensive weapons (like electicity and sniper shot)
-Change last boss Xel color (the boss is purple everything, but also glows purple when absorbable. Make it glow a different color, like maybe white or something)
-Incorporate Ray into story (optional boss in middle of certain levels in hidden areas? Would have liked to see him in Story mode somewhere)

Wish list of bigger changes:
-More Secrets in nooks and crannies (there was nothing to hunt for, really... Could have had health upgrades, energy upgrades, e-tanks, w-tanks, or even helpers like Beat, Rush, and Eddie from Megaman Classic)
-Add armor upgrades like in MMX (four pieces of armor. Could give permanent Xel boosts, could give charge shot/double jump/reduced damage/reduced energy usage on weapons.)
-MORE CALL MISSIONS (She gets one stage. She gets it once in story, and again in Challenge mode. She gets Co-Op mode, but I don't want to have to have another player to use her. She was different enough to warrant her own stages, maybe even her own version of the story where stealth is the factor over killing everything.)
-Instead of having areas that can be skipped entirely with dash, make areas that can be skipped entirely with certain boss weapons (skipping everything with dash makes me feel indifferent about the stage, but skipping with a special weapon feels like I'm beating the system)
-Reduce number of insta-death spikes
-Change fire weapon to literally anything else
-Change the way Helicopter weapon works (Let me hover by holding jump, let me attack while hovering)
-Change Tank weapon (I had some trouble just mowing enemies on the ground over, I kept getting hurt. Felt bad.)
-Change Electricity weapon (It was a good weapon, but I would have liked the option to focus fire (like the boss did) and the option to shoot more than once and keep nodes on enemy)

If all of this happened, for me the game would have been up there with the best MM games. As far as art, it would have been nice if it was made with HD 2D sprites that looked like the box art (or 3D like GG XRD), but it wasn't. I wish that was different, but it's not bad enough to really dwell on it.

Last edited:
I thought this game was bad. With Beck, it's pretty bad

With Ray, this game is absolutely fuckin' awful. I'm beating Trinity as Ray and after that I need to explain every single terrible point of Mighty No. 9 so people can stop saying it's good tbqh

Reactions: No longer exist
Last night Maximilian Dood played Mighty No 9, and then Megaman X7 to see which was worse.
Surprisingly, Mighty No 9 was deemed at least "playable", it's not slow, at the least, not worse than X7

Megaman games I think are worse/on the same level as MN9:
MMC1, 7, and 8
MMX5, 6, 7, and 8
MMBN4, 5, and 6
MML1
MMSF1, 2, and 3

Reactions: DukeMagus
"eh" -everyone on MN9

Ah come on legends one wasn't bad or on the level of MN9. And Mega man 1 while flawed was still the first, true it's far from the best but it at least had what MN9 doesn't: Love and Ambition.

I was wrong, but yeah Classic 1 isn't bad but hard, at least in my opinion

Love and ambition? I feel like you're stretching. Megaman Classic 1 wasn't considered bad cause no one expected anything from it. It's a clunky game with frustrating jumps, and jumps were half of the gameplay. I don't know where the love came through in that game. Legends also controlled like a tank. How's that not bad? The game was fun, but he controlled like ass and the camera sucked.

Besides. The reason MN9 looks and plays like it does it because they tried to do too many things. That's not ambition? The game also cares a lot when it comes to the boss personalities. They appear throughout their own levels, as well as before and during each other's levels, and talk to each other in one of the last levels. It gives them more personality and character than what in any other MM game would have been restricted to a couple words before the fight (if that). I honestly feel like the bosses are given more character in this game than any Classic game, every MMZ game (excluding Copy-X), and most of the bosses in all the MMX games. The only MM platformer that gives more character to bosses is probably Powered Up. The Devs did care. Maybe not enough to everyone's liking I guess, but they certainly did put love into this product. Even Ray, who easily could have been a tacked on addition with no background, is given her own unique story.

Last edited:
Alright point taken. However it still feels from what I've played...dont want to sound rude but "half assed" on certain things. To things like the level desgin not getting what made mega man fun (some places my only choice was to tank a hit, which I hate.) Bosses are bigger bullet sponges than a regular robot master would be, Instant kill attacks, which to be fair can be dodged easily most times, but I still feel like they shouldn't be there to begin with. to simple ascetic things like character animation and mouth movement, hell the characters mouths dont even have a simple mouth flap animation to it, while in game play its not 'too' bad since its not focused on the characters it looks silted and cheap in the cutscenes like the ending one where you would have a person with their mouth open doing a stock arm moving gesture to signify their talking, It feels cheap.

That word can actually sum up what i feel after playing it: Cheap. Do I think the budget was wasted? No but i do think it was mismanaged. games are expensive, I get that porting to every console is expensive however its mismanagement of resources that can kill a project and this mismanagement here was them spending the money to port to everything. I dont think Infaune, his team and Comcept are a bunch of Con artists, I think they want to actually make games but the dont know how to handle a budget properly.

Weather it was overall team skill, mismanagement of budget, bad direction, all of the above or something else Mighty number 9 came out passable, but we didn't want passable we expected a full 9 or 10 when we got a 5. Its not a bad game its a cheap game maybe Zidnae's right, heck he probably is maybe over ambition and mismanagement of the budget is what made MN9 the game it is.

Love and ambition? I feel like you're stretching. Megaman Classic 1 wasn't considered bad cause no one expected anything from it. It's a clunky game with frustrating jumps, and jumps were half of the gameplay.

Maaaaan, I'm not even a fan of classic Mega Man, but this statement is so wrong it's not even funny.

Mega Man 1 is rock solid and still probably one of the better installments in the whole franchise. The level design and pace is tight as heck.

No idea what you're on about with the jumps: the physics and controls on them are the exact same as Mega Man 2-6 (read: GOOD), the only thing they changed was the slight bit of inertia on ground movement, which was ditched after Mega Man 2.

Megaman Classic 1 wasn't considered bad cause no one expected anything from it.

[CITATION NEEDED]

You could write this about any game. There was plenty of competition in that genre at the time. Mega Man could easily have silently died amongst said competitors after one game (as many franchises did, some to my great sadness) if people didn't like it enough.

Last edited:
MMC1, 7, and 8

MM1's problem is that it's old and jank, 7's problem is that it's weird and not quite a mega man game, and 8's problem is that it's lame as hell. Having now beat MN9, I can say with some amount of certainty that all 3 had better level design.

MMX5, 6, 7, and 8

Look, X5 has some big issues (Mostly in the form of backtracking being forced cough cough Duff McWhalen), but boss and level design is fine. X6 and X7? Yeah, those are worse than MN9. X8 is totally fine though, it's the only one after X4 that's actually good.

MMBN4, 5, and 6

I have not played any Battle Network games after the first one, so I won't comment.

MML1

Seriously? Legends 1 has stiff movement and bad voice acting, but the rest of it is really good. The exploration of the caves is great, and I certainly had way more fun with it than MN9, I'll tell you that much.

MMSF1, 2, and 3

Haven't played any of the Starforce games so eh. Why are you even including the RPGs though? They're nothing alike besides having Mega Man in the title.
------
Okay, my turn. Mighty No. 9 has some of the worst level design I've ever seen in a commercially released platformer in ages. Every 'challenge' is either so easy to skip that it's funny or tedious and frustrating instant-death filled garbage, and the mechanics serves to complement that tedium (Seriously, the fact that you can be killed by spikes during your post-hit invincibility is staggering, and hasn't been a problem since the first fucking Mega Man game). So many stage hazards could have been cool if they weren't just instant death traps, not only is that annoying as hell, it's also just boring. This game is nearing Metal Shark Player levels of bullshit in stages, and when it's not, it's Infinity Majinion levels of "you're going to get hit here, just live with it, fuck you" enemy placement. As you can probably tell, this game reminds me the most of X6, which is not good. Not at all. The only reason it's better is because it doesn't have anything nearly as stupid as the Nightmare system and there's no goddamn hostages, but the level design is probably about the same garbage-level quality, for pretty much the same reasons, too, which is really funny, honestly. Funny in a sad way.

Hell you could say the expectation of it being a good game came from people wanting to buy it back in the 80's. they spent there money on a gamble if a game was going to be good or not because reviews weren't as easy to access as they are now so when you bought a game like mega man 1 you didn't know the quality of the game so it was a gamble. If they didnt get a good game they would feel ripped off.

I'm noticing a pattern here with Mighty number 9.

To things like the level design not getting what made mega man fun, Bosses are bigger bullet sponges than a regular robot master would be,
I don't like to explicitly put marks against it for not being enough of a Megaman game. That doesn't feel fair. It's not a Megaman game. It borrows tropes and inspiration, but it's just not a MM game.

Instant kill attacks
Which instakill attacks? Instadeath terrain and fire man's falling pillars?

simple ascetic things like character animation and mouth movement, hell the characters mouths dont even have a simple mouth flap animation to it, while in game play its not 'too' bad since its not focused on the characters it looks silted and cheap in the cutscenes like the ending one where you would have a person with their mouth open doing a stock arm moving gesture to signify their talking, It feels cheap.
How many Megaman games had good voice work? X4 has some of the worst voice acting I've ever heard.

That word can actually sum up what i feel after playing it: Cheap.
I didn't feel the same.

Weather it was overall team skill, mismanagement of budget, bad direction, all of the above or something else Mighty number 9 came out passable, but we didn't want passable we expected a full 9 or 10 when we got a 5.
The reason you feel cheated is because you expected perfection from a newly formed company while copying a formula while also making something new. You aren't supposed to have expectations about anything before you sample it. That's why, for example, Indivisible thought it was the right thing to do to give us a prototype to play, cause you can't know what you're paying for before you play it.

Maaaaan, I'm not even a fan of classic Mega Man, but this statement is so wrong it's not even funny.
I've played just about every MM game. I have fun, but there's never been an enemy placement that makes me stop and go "wow, these guys really love their work."

No idea what you're on about with the jumps
...honestly?

[CITATION NEEDED]
... really? Who expects anything from a brand new IP that is sprung on players? It was the first in the series. Fans of it either were there when it was introduced, or grew up and heard about it later. It never had any expectations placed on it, so people played it and enjoyed it for what it was. It was the first, so it got the chance to shine. Compared to what was available at the time, sure, it was great. But as a game, today, it isn't really that

MM1's problem is that it's old and jank, 7's problem is that it's weird and not quite a mega man game, and 8's problem is that it's lame as hell. Having now beat MN9, I can say with some amount of certainty that all 3 had better level design.
/shrug/
However you feel about that, MN9 had more than just level design to judge it on. I really enjoyed the boss interactions.

Look, X5 has some big issues (Mostly in the form of backtracking being forced cough cough Duff McWhalen), but boss and level design is fine. X6 and X7? Yeah, those are worse than MN9. X8 is totally fine though, it's the only one after X4 that's actually good.
worse/on same level as. I didn't say they were all specifically worse. They're all on a similar level, though.

Seriously? Legends 1 has stiff movement and bad voice acting, but the rest of it is really good.
"bad movement and bad voice acting" are like half of MN9's criticisms.

Haven't played any of the Starforce games so eh. Why are you even including the RPGs though? They're nothing alike besides having Mega Man in the title.
They're main series megaman games.

Every 'challenge' is either so easy to skip that it's funny or tedious and frustrating instant-death filled garbage, and the mechanics serves to complement that tedium
True. A little tweaking and changing of the mechanics could have made it much more tolerable. Though, for segments that were easy to get through, I'm not sure why but the game really wants to promote speedrunning. Some of those sections are for that feeling, which if you don't enjoy then you don't enjoy. Again, some tweaking in those sections (like I said in my notes of things I would change) could have done wonders to make the game less of a 6-7/10.

Infinity Majinion levels of "you're going to get hit here, just live with it, fuck you" enemy placement.
I didn't come across any of these sections. The vast majority of the time I was getting hit felt like it was my own fault. Enemy placements sorta felt a little more like MMZ, now that I think about it.

Reactions: DukeMagus
I've played just about every MM game. I have fun, but there's never been an enemy placement that makes me stop and go "wow, these guys really love their work.

I feel that way about Mega Man x2.

Stages are layed out brilliantly from a "speed" perspective. Dashing through that one is a real joy. The static enemy placements may not have the intensity or pressure of Contra's or Ghouls and Ghosts ever encroaching randomized hoards, but its flow and speed when played well is unmatched.

Some of the better MM titles do have pretty good level design. My real quip with the franchise as a whole is that it lacks the "arcade structure", but that's another philosophy and discussion for another time.

...honestly?

I remember having trouble with the opening of Guts Mans stage.

When I was 6.

... Compared to what was available at the time, sure, it was great. But as a game, today, it isn't really that

But the games available back then were great, and still are! Games today are worse on average IMO.

Seriously, Contra 1 is literally an enduring masterpiece that only grows finer with age. If you're a hardcore action gamer, there is no greater slice of heaven then the 80's and 90's gaming highlights.

MM1 was a quality game, no way around it. It didn't get a free pass on anything: it earned its franchise, and its still a good replay today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Midiman
First off you say it's "not a mega man game" I disagree that it is. That's why people funded it.

Second point: instant kill attacks like number 5's instant kill canon. Sure it's easy to dodge but it still kills you even with full health (there's another one with instant kill grab too but I forget which one.) hell I felt spikes were cheap in mega man games too.

Third point: just cause a mega man game had bad voice acting and stilted animation doesn't mean this one should. The bar has been raised since X4 does that mean we should except something bad as good because it's similiar to another game?

Fourth point: Opinions it felt cheap to me.

Fifth point: I don't expect perfection, but I do expect quality since they have made a game before called "Azure striker gunvolt." And also because this was the big one this was supposed to be the game that put comcept on the map, everyone banked on this and it fell flat. I expected something good from what we were promised and shown, concept art, ideas, etc it's not my fault that comcept didn't put out a demo, it's theirs. And what the heck are you talking about not having expectations!? Thats like getting promised a good dinner at a fancy restaurant that tells you who the chefs are what to expect of your meal and how long it will take. And in the end they bring out a burnt fast food hamburger, I'd be mad because I expected what they told me to expect!

Oh and another thing if this was a new company with brand new people to the bussiness, yeah I wouldn't expect much but it's not. It's a team made up from veterans in the game industry and you're telling me I can't expect quality from people who made quality games in the past?

shit this is almost the most people I've seen in a topic and it's literally like 4 guys arguing

guys calm down

I'm not arguing heck I don't think any of us are. We're simply having a discussions where all of us have differing opinions.

Isn't that kinda the point of a forum?

no the point of forums is to be angry at other people until something that's said becomes a meme and people laugh at it and stop arguing or someone gets banned and everyone abandons threads

... Maybe that's just my interpretation...

F L A R I N G * E M O T I O N S
L
A
R
I
N
G
E
M
O
T
I
O
N
S

Last edited:
^^^Yeah I like MM7 too. I also want to like MM8, but the slow move speed kinda bugs me a lot everytime I play it. Both are fine games though.

I feel that way about Mega Man x2.
I'll have to play through it again. I don't remember X2 leaving that big an impression on me.

I remember having trouble with the opening of Guts Mans stage.

When I was 6.
The man playing is obviously not 6. It's just one example, but just because you've overcome an obstacle and it is subsequently easier doesn't mean it wasn't frustrating the first time. The first time I played MM1 was when I was 16 and it was incredibly frustrating until I got it, then it was easy. All of the MN9 hazards feel the same: they're frustrating until I get it, then it's easy.

But the games available back then were great, and still are! Games today are worse on average IMO.
There were a large number of terrible and unfun games back in the NES days. Making statements like "things in my generation were great, but things today are terrible" is silly. Its something everyone says about their generation.

First off you say it's "not a mega man game" I disagree that it is. That's why people funded it.
People funded it cause it was a 2d platform shooter that looked like megaman. That's what we got.

instant kill attacks like number 5's instant kill canon.
I honestly never got hit by those. I didn't even realize they were insta kill. And spikes are just genre tropes, they're supposed to be there.

just cause a mega man game had bad voice acting and stilted animation doesn't mean this one should.
*many. Many megaman games. There was maybe one or two that weren't terrible or incredibly one dimensional.

I don't expect perfection, but I do expect quality since they have made a game before called "Azure striker gunvolt."
Gunvoly felt sloppy to me.

And what the heck are you talking about not having expectations!?
Most of the times in recent years that a movie or game gets hyped up and people are incredibly excited for extended periods, they end up disappointed. They lose the enjoyment they would have got if they didn't hype themselves up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk