• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

My CPU is a Neural-Net Processor, a Learning Computer: Matchup Thread

dMags

Well-known Meatball
Reaction score
Steam
theDMAGS
PSN
theDMAGS
Match-up Thread for Robo-Fortune. Feel free to offer tips, seek help, discuss overall match-ups, etc...

note: If the thread title is too long and displays funky, let me know and I'll shorten it

I'll start it off with posing the question, how are people feeling about the match-up against Ms. Fortune? I've had trouble against her mostly due to her mobility from fiber-upper and air dashing.

Just some initial thoughts, feel free to agree, expand my thoughts, or tell me I'm wrong. Still lots of information and experience to be gathered about matchups, and also since I'm at work there's a few thoughts I had as I typed this that I cannot check right now in-game:

Fukua - Mostly even; At neutral, Fukua really can't use shadows due to Robo's lasers nor does she want to play keepaway with jumpback fireballs, so Fukua will be rushing Robo down. Robo's j.HP + air lasers are a good way to control air space, but can be risky because it's a solid commit from Robo, if done too close to the ground Fukua can punish with BFF super and now she's in. If Robo is playing more of a ground game, need to watch out for Fukua's j.hk pressure, so it's probably a good idea for Robo to try and always keep a mine planted just in front of her, but this may require good assist calls to do so safely.

- cr.lp as an anti-air? I believe Fukua's j.hk will stuff it, need to try this out
- L Danger can work to stop Fukua's air approaches, and will send her flying.

Big Band - Slight favor Robo; Big Band can have a pretty tough time approaching Robo in this matchup for a few reasons. His size of course comes into play, and Robo can control air space pretty well against BB with her lasers and j.hp. H laser and H air laser just above the ground are nice because they will blow up BBs armor if he tries to Brass/A-Train his way in, and keeping a mine planted will also stop his approach due to the armor breaking property. Robo's cr.mk is useful in neutral as well for the same reason. To get heads out, Robo either needs to make use of an assist OR poop them out during combos, as big band can punish careless neutral heads fairly easily with Giant Step or H-Brass/Kara Brass. Big Band can Armor through L/M lasers, so be cautious.

- Can BB crouch under H laser?

- Can BB crouch under H laser?

Nope, he's just too big.

I'll start it off with posing the question, how are people feeling about the match-up against Ms. Fortune? I've had trouble against her mostly due to her mobility from fiber-upper and air dashing.

Yeah I've played a bunch against fortune and so far I don't think she's easy to deal with. Fortune is very small to dodge most zoning, and Robo's hurtboxes on her attacks seem just too big for rush down to be simple. jHP works pretty well to keep her out, but it needs to be at a good height since Fortune can easily just go above jHP range. On the other hand, there's probably not much Fortune can do against any level of Hidden missiles when used as a wall, so maybe there's use in trying more of that?

Fukua - Mostly even

- cr.lp as an anti-air? I believe Fukua's j.hk will stuff it, need to try this out
- L Danger can work to stop Fukua's air approaches, and will send her flying.

This is an early opinion, but I think there's room to grow in Robo play that may make it Robo favor in this MU. Robo zoning pretty cleanly covers Fukua's zoning and normal approaches. From what I played against, Fukua's best plan is to try and get as high as she can and use jHK, so the key to the MU will be playing around that fact I think, probably doable.

As for those anti-airs, I don't like using cLP as an anti-air vs Fukua, or at least I've felt that it's pretty hard to get it against jHK. L Danger probably works better though.

Reactions: dMags
From what I played against, Fukua's best plan is to try and get as high as she can and use jHK, so the key to the MU will be playing around that fact I think, probably doable.

I've noticed the same thing, I wonder if it's viable to try and "counter" this by getting higher than Fukua via Robo's j.hk and falling with another normal. At the same though, I think Fukua's st.hp will beat out most normals Robo can use, so maybe it won't work.

BB, Bella, Beo and Eliza get hit by instant overhead nj.LP delay MK and nj.LP MK HP in the corner, which is a key thing to note in those matchups. BB gets hit by forward jump LP MK HP midscreen too.

vs Fortune, this is mostly just theory but having a mine out is IMO imperative so she can't just call her head to rek your zoning, so your main focus goes towards air to airing Fortune with j.LK (which is pretty good vs lots of Fortune air stuff unless she does j.HK which you can run under since she has to do it decently early, also maybe look into c.MK anti air vs early Fortune j.HK?).

vs air normals like Fukua s.HP you can probably space a j.HP to hang in the air for a bit, and possibly hit confirm it to stuff like L Laser + L Extend call for BIG DAMAGE CVS2 resurgence when ;_;

Last edited:
While I'm not that good at explaining at matchups, I want to give out my thoughts of some of the Robo-Fortune matchups so far. I still need more experience to analyze the matchups better, but I'm giving my best shot of describing on what matchups can Robo-Fortune deal with. Here are my thoughts of these matchups.

Fukua - I find this matchup to be fairly even, maybe slightly in Robo-Fortune's favor. Robo-Fortune has lots of tools that can deal Fukua's space control like firing Theonite Beam or even setting up headrones if Robo-Fortune is far enough not to get punished, and she can do super jump HK to fly around and avoid Fukua's j.HK pressure. What Robo-Fortune needs to be careful for is that being fairly close to Fukua can get you pressured, and Robo-Fortune doesn't have a very good reversal to avoid the pressure. Robo-Fortune also needs to be careful about Fukua's Shadow Clones or Drillationship if Robo-Fortune gets fairly close as well. Aside from that, there's not much problem Robo-Fortune has to deal with Fukua, so I think it's fairly even.

Eliza - This matchup is in Eliza's favor in my opinion. Sure, Eliza can get hit by Robo-Fortune's jumping mixups like j.LP, delayed j.MK or whatever, but Eliza can counter her with s.MP + Dive of Horace if she reacts fast enough, and Eliza can also do c.HK to sweep through Robo-Fortune's zoning. Plus, Eliza's mixups, such as with her AD j.LP, j.HP, can easily overpower Robo-Fortune, since again, she doesn't have a good reversal, so she has to guess right to avoid getting resetted. What Robo-Fortune can do though is that since Eliza doesn't have a great reversal option either, Robo-Fortune can pressure her and throw + Magnetic Beam on midscreen, then start a combo + mixup. Zoning against Eliza isn't a good idea IMO, unless I want to chip her.

That's all I can think for now. I don't really main Robo-Fortune, but she's really fun and interesting to play, and I would love to improve my skill with her eventually. Robo-Fortune and Beowulf are in my tertiary team.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any ideas on how to play the painwheel match-up. It feels like it's robos worst match up because she can just fly around all your zoning and punish you for it. I feel like I should be using L danger, j.mp, and j.hk more to break armor but asides from that I have no clue what to do.

Air throw is great against her slow air footsie buttons and if you can get the time to set it up, level 2 and 3 missiles are great against her IMO. I think it's best to fish for hits to put her in the blender more so than trying to zone her the whole match. She destroys beams for free though.

I am really curious as how to deal with peacock as robo-fortune. Seems like a good peacock is just to fast to do anything about. You have no fast supers that go full screen, and don't have an air dash.

If anyone could shed a little light on this issue, that would be fantastic.

Use s.HP to absorb a projectile and then light or medium beam to interrupt her from doing her thing. Hitting her will get rid of item drops and also possibly any bombs in your way, so you can then try to dash in. I'm not fully sure on this but her dash might also be able to go faster than item drops can track. If Peacock is using j.HK blindly magnet (or magnet + assist) may be an option but I've never seen that work so IDK. To punish Argus, pushblock the second part of the big beam and as you get out of blockstun before the second stream of bullets come out, super jump j.HK to get out of the way and then land to punish her.

Also there's worldjem's how to deal with peacock tutorial that is universally helpful.

If you have more specific advice then that'd be great.

Reactions: Shooon
I am really curious as how to deal with peacock as robo-fortune. Seems like a good peacock is just to fast to do anything about. You have no fast supers that go full screen, and don't have an air dash.

If anyone could shed a little light on this issue, that would be fantastic.
You have the fastest dash in the game. Dash forward. If there's a bomb in the way, jump over it.

Robo vs peacock
This is actually one of the better matchups against peacock imo. Fast dashes and dash jumping, double jumps, movement with j.hk, and L lazer are all great options to shut her down. Having an assist to cover teleports is also useful.

thread revival bump.

what do people think of the squigly matchup?
-squigly has decent mobility to avoid getting zoned out, fallen woman prevents any runaway dash under attempts, and seria center stage/tremolo stage control.
-she has a thin hitbox which makes a lot of conversions whiff
-any attempt to armor s.hp through her gets eaten by instant daisy pusher.

i don't mind this matchup per say, but i don't fight any high level squigly to see the full potential of this mu. it doesn't seem like a bad idea to approach cautiously and fire beams when squigly goes to charge? provided you don't shoot in sbo range. she's light enough for the cross-under reset and can't double jump away; her only option is to daisy pusher/draugen punch but as far as i'm aware neither are autocorrected.

this isn't taking into account assists (squigly with brass knuckles), but expanding into that is perfectly fine.

thread revival bump.

what do people think of the squigly matchup?
@Yaya has told me this is in Squigly's favor, but I don't remember why. I might not have asked actually.

Ehhhhh. It's an awkward match. Squigly has better tools to get around beams and whatnot (double jump and thin body means she just gets over most things), but she lacks the good vertical coverage and horizontal speed to counteract Robo's movement. I mean, it sucks ass for Robo if Squigly gets in, but that's true for anyone getting in on Robo.

IMO, it's one of those 5-5 matchups where both players hate their lives.

That match up is really weird. Squigly's double jump let's her jump over zoning and j.hp can hit you out of beams if you're not careful. Fortunately for robo, beams make getting a charge without an assist very difficult for squigly and your superior mobility lets you run away if you read a jump. Overall it's a pretty annoying match-up for both but I think it's slightly in Squigly's favor since having an assist can help her get charged.

Reactions: fenster
@Yaya has told me this is in Squigly's favor, but I don't remember why. I might not have asked actually.

Like mpgame said, her floatiness and double jump lets her jump over quite a bit and j.hp is good at catching recoveries. You're probably going to have to take damage to get charges but once you do, Robo literally cannot play her game. Charged Tremolo low profiles L beam and TK H beam. Center stage catches the startup on beams, and even if she does block, Squigly gets in and Robo struggles with escaping her pressure. If you take teams into account, Squigly gets charges even easier and if its an assist like Brass Knuckles, gets way more reward off her mid-full screen game with less risk than Robo does.