• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Names during local matches

Rynozilla

Guess what I'm watching
Reaction score
Website
steamcommunity.com
Steam
Rynozilla
Eliza Squigly Filia
Well. This might be kinda dumb... But... Y'know how on Salty (and a lot of tournaments when streamed in general) they put in the name of the players? Well. What if you could enter your name, and have it show under your health bar, like in online matches. And it would be changed just like with controllers, in Tournament Mode! And so that you wouldn't have to key your name in EVERY time, it would save, like in SSB! Just a random though here. What do you think?

But just like ssb you end up with a huge list of names that is hard to navigate through.

But just like ssb you end up with a huge list of names that is hard to navigate through.

Make it so you can delete old or obsolete names. Also, SSB4 finally made it so that the most recently used names always appear first which was a much needed change.

Reactions: Rynozilla
But for what would this ever be useful...?
a lot of tournaments when streamed
Making your name in the match your Steam name? Or just username in general, so you can at least be better known? It'd be easier for people. Not to mention they wouldn't need to actually add the names themselves.

Also. Being in a party or something, and having people watch who have NO IDEA how Skullgirls works, and losing track of who's who. Kind of a weird reason, but it happens.

If you're playing online, it's already displaying your username.
If you're uploading local matches, you can do that while editing. If you don't know who's who while looking through the footage, I doubt anybody would be interested in watching it. :P
Tournaments already display the player's names on stream, and don't need to make it "easier" by making the players spend half a minute entering/finding their names.
Also. Being in a party or something, and having people watch who have NO IDEA how Skullgirls works, and losing track of who's who. Kind of a weird reason, but it happens.
Sitting on the correct side solves this for a two player game.

Inputting and selecting custom names before matches would increase tournament time, which is not good.

I don't necessarily think this is a bad idea, but I do wonder the best way to implement it.

Also on consoles you only get one onscreen keyboard at a time...

Alongside this, in Smash your name also saves a custom control scheme mapped to that name. So would it be possible to implement the names so that they save button configs as well as the two entourages for that player? So rather than taking time from the tournament like Skull said, when players sign up they could sit at the console, type in their name and save two entourages, and then have that all set for when the match starts.

Reactions: Rynozilla
Not sure how it'd work, but I like the idea of being able to set a name and save it to your stick so you can just sit down and your name shows up when you plug your stick in.