• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Need help with streaming

Adeveis

Guy
Reaction score
Steam
Adeveis
PSN
Adeveis
Parasoul Squigly Big Band
Well kinda sorta. I'm starting a new job that requires me to know a lot of tech about routers, gaming consoles, web stuff, and streaming. While I know a great deal about most of this stuff, I know nothing about streaming. I've never owned streaming equipment, so I need people who do to inform me all they learned. What brand names should I know about, what equipment is needed, what are the setting options, how do you set up a twitch, etc. Literally tell me everything. Be as detailed as possible, and if you can use pictures and/or screen shots, I would greatly appreciate it. Preemptive Thank you to anyone who helps me.

Well I just spent legit 2 hours trying to diagnose audio issues on my stream, so I suppose I'll answer this now while it's fresh in my head.

OBS (Open Broadcast Software) is the program I use to stream. It's free and it's not super hard to get it going, the OBS guys have like a quick start guide on their website that tells you how to set it up. For streaming PC games it's pretty easy, you make a source in OBS. For streaming console it's a little more complicated. I have a kind of goofy setup for it, from what I understand Sage has a simpler setup for console so I'll let him handle that. If you've ever said stuff in stream chat you already have a Twitch channel whether you use it or not, you just need to tie the Twitch account to your settings in OBS (which the OBS quick start thing tells you how to do).

Uh I think that's the basics. If there's anything more specific you need help with I can answer that too.

Side note to add on what mcpeanuts said about OBS for PC, if you want to think about commentary you'll need to consider that part of the setup too. You'll probably need either a headset or headphones/desktop mic combo, which I can't help you with, but I can give you this link which goes over simple speakers and mic settings for OBS so you can follow it if or when you need it. It'll get you though if you want either to Audio chat separately on the computer and only have the stream capture Game (and/or music) Audio, or the opposite if you want your mic and audio chat to be on stream which you can play with volume levels from there. If you want to go for the Virtual Audio Cable route (aka where you don't want to mess with your Computer's Sound Mixer and split the audio there) and have a program split the audio on your computer, I'd recommend the VB-Audio cables since they work pretty much the same way but are free.