• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Parasoul's emblem: Why is it a upside-down cross/sword and not the obvious Umbrella symbol?

BlakeCourser

Alien dude
Reaction score
XBL
Reaper of Dusk
Cerebella Double Squigly
icon-parasoul.png

Why this.

And not either of these:

Egret-Soldier-skullgirls-32990071-477-700.png

(Also not sure where I should have posted this)

Parasoul's inverted cross on her (and Double's) necklace is a token of her religion, Trinitism. The Trinity, is a trio of "goddesses"* (Venus, Aeon, and their Mother). The grand cathedral has stained glass window depictions, and a massive statue of the Trinity.

J3aTJmn.jpg

Parasoul does wear the Black Egret armband in many of her palettes (4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 16, 21, 22). Of course, the umbrella symbol represents the Canopy Kingdom.

She wears the cross because, I assume, she is a devout follower of the Trinity. In Parasoul's story mode, Double relates how Parasoul's mother, the Queen, Nancy Renoir, was also quite dedicated to the religion.

Double: My, my... such anger. Your mother used to pray for peace here every day. How disappointed she would be!
* Whether the Trinity are actually goddesses is another story. They may have been like Eliza, powerful pairs of humans and parasites.

Because having an upside down pentagram would be too obvious.

Though the inverted cross does make sense in-universe, I too was surprised why they went with that specific symbol. Alex could have very well picked anything else when designing Trinitism/Parasoul, it would fit just as well while avoiding unnecessary (though maybe desired?) controversy and confusion. No matter how much it is explained that "it's not a real life reference" or "Saint Peter's cross represents humility", the popular satanic association will always be there, after all.

Reactions: Mao
Lookin at the other Egret DLCs, using the umbrella symbol would be quite confusing since most of them wear it. The umbrella could symbolize Adam or Molly or Panzerfaust or, well, Umbrella. It's too generic
The cross makes sense because it's pretty evident on Parasoul's design, especially since it's light grey on pure black andthe sweater as no motives on it. The connection comes.

Yes the cross represents the Trinity. I'm pretty sure the umbrella emblem is reserved for Umbrella. The upside down cross could represent the Trinity as the Anti-Christ.

Wait how do we know Umbrella's emblem is an eye (it seems likely, though)?

I think I saw it in concept art? I need to re-find it.

No, Umbrella's symbol is an umbrella.

Skullgirls_Data_charcoin_umbrella_glow01.png

W
No, Umbrella's symbol is an umbrella.

Skullgirls_Data_charcoin_umbrella_glow01.png

Well, this ends my entire argument right here.

I still don't get this alternate Filia symbol.
:BIN:

Because Filia is TRAAAAASH!!!!!!!!

#truershotshaveneverbeenfired

Reactions: DDB
Honestly I always kinda figured that the upside-down cross was a reference to Murdoc from the Gorillaz.
Cause that's what TVTropes said a long-ass time ago and I never really questioned it.
I guess I kinda rationalized it as Murdoc wears a black turtleneck with upside-down cross, Parasoul wears a black turtleneck with upside-down cross, but actually looking back I'm not sure where I saw Murdoc in a turtleneck so

maybe Alex is just 2 edgy 4 us.

That symbol was the only thing keeping from getting SG when it first released. It wasn't until SGE was free on PS+ that I found this forum & asked what the deal with the inverted cross was.

I'm familiar with people online at a forum that use it to mock Christians, so I'm glad to know it isn't that way here.
Still, they lost out on me wanting to pay for the game. An umbrella probably would've made things simple. Ah well.

Reactions: ink_deer
The real reason its the cross,

It looks cool.

The "upside-down" cross has always been a pretty widespread symbol in goth and punk fashion. I've always thought of it more of an anti-establishment symbol than an overtly or specifically anti-Christian one. In these days and age the symbol has pretty much lost any of the shock value it might have had. I am actually surprised that so many people are fussing about it.

The use of the symbol for Satanic or devil-worshipping purposes is pretty much nonsense and no real-life religious/cult movements actually use the upside-down cross as a symbol, except the Catholic Church itself (i.e. the aforementioned St. Peter's cross). The only "organisation" that regularly uses the upside-down cross as an anti-Christian symbol is Hollywood, and the symbol has pretty much become associated with Satanism and devil-worship thanks to this, compounded by the fact that both Hollywood set designers and the general public know very little about real-life religions, mainstream or otherwise (if you don't believe me, ask your Christian friends to recall the 10 Commandments off the top of their heads).

As for the reason it was used it Skullgirls: like Jimbob said Alex probably thought it looked cool.

Aye, I imagine it just stuck as her symbol a loooooong time ago before Alex had concocted any of his reverse engineered reasoning for it symbolizing the Trinity. It's always front and center as a clear part of her design in her older images, so it stands out as a quick and easy thing to recognize and stuck as the rest of the lore developed around her.

Should have made her symbol a tree to really confuse everyone.

Reactions: Shooon and Denizen
Also, the umbrella would better suit Adam, whose character consists of 3 separate Egrets, 2 of which are more generic masked Egrets.

If anything, Adam's symbol would be the profile of an egret helmet.

Reactions: Cellsai