• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Playing on the PC can be awkward

Wiw

Cheesy Catchphrase.
Reaction score
Eliza Valentine Robo Fortune
So right off the bat, I can tell that this game was optimized for gamepads. Unfortunately this makes playing with a keyboard and mouse (or lack of it) a total pain. Most of the keys are mapped to places that aren't immediately noticeable to me, and the menus don't really tell me what does what, just "LK" and "MK" and all the others. If they actually showed what key does what, I wouldn't mind so much. Are there any options for making that possible?

nah you can't change the game's graphic options to make it show what keys you're using.

but you can customize your controls to it's more comfortable. There are players here who do use a keyboard so try asking them how they deal with comfort.

Arrow keys + ZX is the standard setup for games that don't use the mouse, so it shouldn't take long to realize that's the Skullgirls menu navigation. From there you can extrapolate the rest of the attack buttons, though Select/Macro defaults are confusing, and/or just reassign buttons.

nah you can't change the game's graphic options to make it show what keys you're using.

No? Pity, that would help me a great deal.

By default they're laid out the same way arcade buttons would be:
LP MP HP
LK MK HK
Lights on the left, heavies on the right, punches on top, kicks on bottom. That should be easy enough to remember.

It really is better to learn the buttons, and by extension your moves, by what they do rather than one set of mappings. It provides an important semantic meaning for how punches and kicks work, and how light/medium/heavy works.

If the movelist was written with mappings in mind, you would see:
Ringlet Spike (close): QCF+A
Ringlet Spike (mid range): QCF+S
Ringlet Spike (far): QCF+D
Gregor Samson: QCF+A+S or QCF+A+D or QCF+S+D
as opposed to this:
Ringlet Spike: QCF+P, strength determines distance
Gregor Samson: QCF+PP
Which makes more sense? Which is easier to remember? Imagine trying to remember every version of every move the first way, rather than just condensing it into knowing whether a move uses P or K and then remembering that light, medium, and heavy translate into corresponding properties, and that supers are done with any two Ps or any two Ks.

How about if I tried to explain chains by saying:
Parasoul has a 3 hit ground chain, which means she can go from A or Z to S or X to D or C.
when instead I could just say:
Parasoul has a 3 hit ground chain, which means she can go from any light to any medium to any heavy.
That first one was a mouthful, is kind of confusing with all those 'or's, and it's hard to just memorize that order without any meaning attached to it. The second explanation is much clearer, and the order is perfectly intuitive.

Ah? Well like I say, I'm new to fighting games in general, so I don't know much about it.

Well what's the default PS4 mapping? I mean I usually play it on a PS4 Dualshock anyway.

lp -square
lk - x
mp - triangle
mk - circle
hp - R1
hk - R2

Assist Macro 1 - L1
Assist Macro 2 - L2

also this isn't really related to the matter at hand and I don't want to ruin your parade either but drop the trio, it's alreay hard enough to fiddle around with a single character as it it,don't make it harder for yourself, now we got that out of the way there's nothing wrong with keyboards and I know a guy or two who play as such,then again I'm not forcing you to any control scheme either so do you do you booboo