• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Double Please Flip Dust Cloud on Bandwagon

Hey @tekkaxe long time no see, welcome to the SG online community. You are now acquainted with how people react. Hehe.

The dust cloud is supposed to indicate the side which Double went to, as if she were running to the screen edge from where she teleported. Although I laughed at all the analysis, it might be that the cloud is actually on the correct SIDE of the middle puff but backward, so it'd be
/3 {__}
instead of the current
B\ {__}
if that makes any sense.

But you know, I think there's something I can do that makes it a lot more obvious anyway, and won't confuse old players. Let's see if I can.

Double(heh)post:
How bout this? This is what I'd wanted to do from the beginning but couldn't do when Car was made.

?
+1 for this new dust.

Reactions: d3v
I never have a problem blocking Double's Car. I focus more on my positioning than the dust cloud. If I'm in the left corner, its most likely going to come from the left, if it doesn't anyone who isn't Stevie Wonder should be able to block a raw fullscreen car coming their way. If you're midscreen, it's most likely going to come from behind anyway.

Yeah, the dust cloud looks way better and more obvious that way. I personally never even noticed the old one, because I was able to hear from which side the car is coming.

Reactions: No longer exist
There's no problem for me telling which side it's coming from. It was confusing at first, but taking a minute or two to realize what the dust means fixes that. But, the example effect Mike just posted is MUCH better at letting everyone know where it's goming from with no effort (though that effect doesn't look like it really matches much else in SG, I don't think?).

(though that effect doesn't look like it really matches much else in SG, I don't think?).
I dunno man, it's just the middle dust repeated a buncha times... :^P

Looks sweet, maybe I'll finally get the visual cue down instead of listening with headphones.

Oooh, it was the dustcloud. Boy oh boy does this make me feel silly. I thought you couldn't tell until the Bandwagon showed up on screen like Teddie's Circus super.

I dunno man, it's just the middle dust repeated a buncha times... :^P
Oh, okay. It still looks really strange, like it doesn't belong. Maybe cause I'm just not used to it?

tekkaxe, your doodle makes sense, but you're also WAY over-thinking this...

OP is definitely overthinking this. Also +1 for SG doodles.

New dust looks great.

Double(heh)post:
How bout this? This is what I'd wanted to do from the beginning but couldn't do when Car was made.

?
idk what was wrong with the first version, but I like that this one looks like she had super speed and moved to the direction she's coming from X3

My Brother, in his own typed words, on the new dust effect:
"hell yea, cuz i be doing too much to be looking at the lil bit of dust but now its like oh well there's a big gust of dust i guess the motha fuckaz going that way"

I like the idea but the sovrapposition of the same sprite is noticeable and looks kind of cheap

The dust cloud is supposed to indicate the side which Double went to, as if she were running to the screen edge from where she teleported. Although I laughed at all the analysis, it might be that the cloud is actually on the correct SIDE of the middle puff but backward...

If indicating the side that Double went to really was the intent of the cloud, then yes, the current retail dust cloud is definitely not indicating that effectively.

The new dust cloud effect does in fact do a much better job of indicating the direction in which Double has left the screen. It makes it look as though something is actually moving in the implied direction, whereas before I just assumed that Double instantly teleported off screen and the dust was some sort of strange precursor to the car that was about to be on screen.

I just went with "move the stick to where there's no smoke to block". I'm glad that stays.

Double(heh)post:

?

LOL

So Double does a U-turn? That's an easy way to remember it.

eh what ever i didn't really care to begin with, if Mike makes the dust bigger to help out others then i'm fine with it. i never had any problem with telling the direction myself so go for it Mike.

Double(heh)post:

?

Heya Mike! This is beautiful- I love it! This completely addresses my concerns, and I really hope that it finds its way into the beta and beyond.

New Dust Cloud for president.

cloud for prez.jpg

@tekkaxe
Is this the same guy that makes REAALLY good music and helped work on rumble pack?
Because rumble pack is great

It was weird getting used to the current dust at the very start, but i got used to it. So i didn't really have any issue. Was fun reading through the theory behind why and what makes it illogical. Never really gave it much thought. Like the new dust animation though, also the sketches made me smile.

Indeed, I'm that tekkaxe; And thanks a ton- I'm super glad you dig my work! I really appreciate it. :D
Ayyyy lmao do you goto offline tourneys? We gotta big ec one in philly comin up

Ayyyy lmao do you goto offline tourneys? We gotta big ec one in philly comin up

Aw dude, wish I could! I'm in So-Cal. Let me know if you're ever in the area! But if you're ever up for some online matches, I'm on steam until I get another PS3.

Reactions: SonicFox
I like the idea but the sovrapposition of the same sprite is noticeable and looks kind of cheap
Choose one:
Yeah it's noticeable, but it's scaled, and I don't mind it because she's a re-use character. Plus I think it looks cool, and the old one looked worse. :^)
or
We work with what we got. There's no more memory for 32 bit art, and while there is memory for palettized art in Double's case, there is no art and I am sure we won't be spending time making any.
or
YOU look kinda cheap.

Aw dude, wish I could! I'm in So-Cal. Let me know if you're ever in the area! But if you're ever up for some online matches, I'm on steam until I get another PS3.
I think so cal has salty correct?
But yeah im a ps3 player and i have yet to listen to the sg community to buy a new computer with my evo winnings lol. I do have steam @SonicFox5000 but im usually playing sg offline since my laptop is kinda ass

Mike you hurt me
Didn't mean to offend your work, really

Last edited:
Reactions: Denizen
Wish I'd learned this months ago. I've gotten hit by a lot of Double raw tags & cars over the past months by a PS3 friend/rival.
Should've gone into training & seen if there was a way to practice blocking them. Better late than never.

YEAH @tekkaxe WTF YOU USED TO COME so I know you can! We have Salty AND Rebel Up, so unless you work both Friday and Saturday (in which case I'm sorry) WHERE YA AT?
Where'm I at? Getting my behind back out to Saltys, that's where, lol! But yeah, I've missed it dearly and so very badly need to get back more often :(. Hope to see y'all this week (if I get off work at a decent hour).

Long live Solo-Val.

Double(heh)post:

?

This looks so good

If this doesn't go into retail for whatever reason, how ridiculous of a request is it for sliding knockdowns to do this?

This looks so good

If this doesn't go into retail for whatever reason, how ridiculous of a request is it for sliding knockdowns to do this?
I think combos with sliding knockdown pick ups after 1F of the OTG would look a little crazy.

I'm all for more cinematic changes that don't distract players and are pleasing to spectators though,
Ex: New Dust
Super KO Effect
Portraits and Film Strip during DHC's

I've always wanted to see the hit sparks on hits during a double snap be like, x1.5 size, maybe cloned three times and rotated a bit too.

There's just more pressing matters.

I hope we'll see some cool things during Robo's completion when voice packs are coming out etc.
These KO effects in Smash 4 are really pretty.

pWHsbaK.jpg

Not on the layer in front of characters, or even necessarily on the same layer, but yeah.

It's a minor thing that just looks rad.

Didn't mean to offend your work, really
You didn't, but I gotta work with what we've got. (My work is hard to offend, it hasn't got feelings. :^)
I TELL YA WHAT, @render (the guy what been puttin' dust on everything since Squigly) will look at it sometime soon and make it less poop. Till then you're stuck with this.

never knew about dust and sound do anything with double's car.