• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Poll: Are the Beta changes ready for prime-time?

Should the Beta IPS/undizzy/counterhit changes be implemented into the Real Game?

• Yes! RIGHT NOW.

Votes: 112 34.6%
  • Yes, but wait and put them in with Big Band.

Votes: 54 16.7%
  • No. I don't like them / they need further work.

Votes: 116 35.8%
  • I don't care. I will continue playing/avoiding the game the same amount either way.

Votes: 42 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The people who don't like skullgirls because of combo length are the same people who get hype for watching marvel 3 and proceed to go out and buy/play marvel 3.

People who didn't like skullgirls before will continue to not like skullgirls now because its skullgirls.

I'd rather say:
The newbies who dislike SG because they lose to 30 second combos
Will continue to dislike SG because they lose to 5 resets
I mean, half of them won't even notice that the opponent dropped his combo somewhere.

However, there are plenty people who love a LOT about SG and dislike a few things (..amongst them 15 second combos),
And no, those people generally don't like MvC3. At least, I don't.

I mean those are the people who already play the game.

I was referring to those who wont even give it a try. Woops

Perhaps a bit hastily, but I went with option 4. I haven't been able to play the game since squigs came out and I don't see myself touching the game anymore until consoles get updated. Since I don't know what sort of combo system I'll be working with then I feel there is no point in practicing. To be honest I liked long combos, perhaps not the whole "tag between three characters" sort of combos but I feel 240 undizzy and starting at stage 2 is making things very short. In fact the idea of combos hardly being viable disheartens me from SG, sad to say.

There's probably a subset of people that just want you to decide on whatever combo nerfs and implement them ASAP because we don't want to beta things and these interregnum times between giant gameplay changing patches are shit

I dislike some of the changes, namely the undizzy change. I believe it needs more tweaking before being released onto the PC build, not to mention that if you release it on PC, the console patch build (assuming it'll be the current PC build and not the beta one) will be behind yet again, and a lot of players either can't play on PC (I myself can play on it but my controller makes the laptop prone to bluescreens) or far prefer playing on console, so to leave them behind yet again for a seemingly knee jerk change wouldn't be good at all.

Reactions: destruction_adv
No IPS changes. Please, just don't. Pretty much none of the top players want this, and no offense but I feel they know best.

Let me also add I don't think the game needs to change that much. Assist scaling is a positive but if that means all these other changes, I would rather the game stay as is.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaioLugon and Icky
I dislike some of the changes, namely the undizzy change. I believe it needs more tweaking before being released onto the PC build, not to mention that if you release it on PC, the console patch build (assuming it'll be the current PC build and not the beta one) will be behind yet again, and a lot of players either can't play on PC (I myself can play on it but my controller makes the laptop prone to bluescreens) or far prefer playing on console, so to leave them behind yet again for a seemingly knee jerk change wouldn't be good at all.

If the Beta changes come to the PC version obviously the console patches will gonna get them, not the actual PC Build current version.

They seem like good changes and it's not like Mike is keen on constantly adding arbitrary changes to the game for the pure sake of it, like Capcom or ASW or whatever. The sooner we rip off the bandage and settle on a sustainable, satisfying core system, the better. Then maybe we can all stop talking about that and focus a liiiittle more on West Coast not getting embarrassed by Chris G or whatever

I feel this needs to be said, to the people who keep chiming on about how they enjoy long combos I have a suggestion to make.

There you go enjoy, there will be nobody for you to bore except the CPU who fortunately, much like you does not understand or feel boredom in your single player BlazblueMarvel3FinalFantasyTurnBased game that you obviously yearn for. Those of us who actually want to play a game with some pacing will continue to hope this game improves for the better, lel.

I really oppose this patch! Plz See this!

You guys must know 'This Balance patch should go with the SUPER ART balance patch'

Lots of super arts should be fixed
such as Peacock's Laser and Cerebella's Showstopper and etc...!

You guys have to Block the Peacock's laser & Filia's Cockroach Samson which are used more than 1 time in a combos, Downgrade the damage of cerebella's showstopper and etc...!

If you guys ignore this Warning, Skullgirls will be disrupted because of the terrible power Balance...

There are no enough time to fix all of these things.
Plz Just remain this game as skullgirls, not SSF4!!!

@k3229778 Not sure if trolling or not...

I don't understand your problems with Peacock's lasers and Filia's Gregor Samson.

@Dime_x Regarding Assist vs. Throw scaling. I'd like to add that based on the risk/reward factor, it makes sense that assists do more damage than throws. Throws are overall way safer to do in SG. However an assist call can lead into a severely heavy punish which is loosing a whole character. Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

Honestly, about getting more players, it'll honestly happen in the future. People not only need more exposure to current forms but more than that, what eventually will bring in the numbers will be the amount of characters. The more characters we have, and it won't matter gender after all IGG characters are added, the more people will be drawn to it.

There are some peacock users who can use the laser 3 times in a combos just in a stage combo 200

And Gregor Samson can extend the combos

These combos breakdowns the power balance of the characters!

Last edited:
I want dem new Undizzy as fast as I can in the Real Game. :P They really fit me.

There are some peacock users who can use the laser 3 times in a combos just in a stage combo 200

And Gregor Samson can extend the combos

These combos breakdowns the power of the characters!
What the hell do you think Gregor Samson is for?

Holy shit, guys! It turns out that launchers pop the opponent into the air and enable combo opportunities afterward! These things need to be nerfed, ASAP!

Reactions: Woofly and Mwisk
Yes! Implement those changes into game ASAP! Anything that shortens the combos and lowers the frustration is a good send!

I voted for #1. My combos barely touched Undizzy in MDE and I just adjusted some of them in the new Beta IPS. I actually enjoyed SDE, MDE and now I prefer the new combo system.

Also, Mike Z, listen to your heart! If you think the changes are right, then implement them. There are players that will bitch about it and then shut up later. You're the designer, not them.

I voted yes, right now. I do still have a gut feeling it could be better (must be some way to fix grab reset issues), but I don't think that feeling will go away no matter how good each build is.

The current build is something I like and something the people who dislike it don't seem to hate as much as every other build, some even having changed their negative views on changing things because of it, so I say go for it.

Voted no. There need to be pros and cons to doing short combos/resets vs longer combos, not a situation where only long is viable or you're restricted to short/reset only. Also, we should stop fooling ourselves regarding shorter combos/resets bringing more players in. They'll either still dislike SG for all the reasons not related to the gameplay, or be just as frustrated getting hit by multiple fast resets into death and drop it anyway.

Less undizzy is fine but it starts too early. This IPS change kills parasoul completely. Other than that I can live with it.

Am I being baited
Not sure who you are or what you're getting at. Either way, my parasoul can only hit 6k now, while others are still doing 7 - 8k.

And before, Parasoul only hit 8k while others were doing 9-11k. So nothing changed?

Completely killed.
This doesn't count. I'm talking solo combo, no assists. I don't play Filia.

Voted no. There need to be pros and cons to doing short combos/resets vs longer combos, not a situation where only long is viable or you're restricted to short/reset only. Also, we should stop fooling ourselves regarding shorter combos/resets bringing more players in. They'll either still dislike SG for all the reasons not related to the gameplay, or be just as frustrated getting hit by multiple fast resets into death and drop it anyway.
I fail to see why anyone finds this hard to understand

I fail to see why anyone finds this hard to understand
Maybe because
#1 235 Undizzy combo into ender is *STILL* long
#2 CH -100 Undizzy means you get your MDE combo (woo! /bork)
#3 Currently, only long is viable^_^

And again, there are plenty people who dislike long combos even though they can play.
Much like there are plenty people who like long combos that are utter garbage.
Wow, what a revelation.

All your arguments of "Wow, you dislike long combos only bcus you r scrub that gets hit, git gud instead of whine" were said by pali when we went from Vanilla to SDE.
I guess everyone here wants Vanilla combos back? I legit feel like Pali has multiplied. Wasn't the game way cooler when you could tag tod from everyone into everyone and have TRUE COMBO FREEDOM?
SDE (and later SQG) didn't make the game more fun to play and didn't bring new players in because duh, nubs still lose and everyone only dislikes SG because of tits anyways, zero gameplay concerns. Game too fair now.

This doesn't count. I'm talking solo combo, no assists. I don't play Filia.
2nd combo (starts at 0:12) uses no assist and enters last stage at 220 Undizzy (so not /exactly/ optimized)

Last edited:
Voted yes because I'm still waiting for a stable version of the game. Don't feel like learning new combos past SDE (lol) only to be forced to re-learn them with an update.

2nd combo (starts at 0:12) uses no assist and enters last stage at 220 Undizzy (so not /exactly/ optimized)
Very slightly more damage, but more work. Plus the way I end my bnb I can go for an easy crossunder or air grab reset. I don't see a reason for tear toss anymore when its so much more limited now. My bnb does 6.1 - 6.3 depending on the character and or corner.

Also, we should stop fooling ourselves regarding shorter combos/resets bringing more players in. They'll either still dislike SG for all the reasons not related to the gameplay, or be just as frustrated getting hit by multiple fast resets into death and drop it anyway.

I think (My Opinion™) that Mike is aiming for a better look in terms of pace and flow in the game. At least that's the vibe I'm getting from all the changes that SG has had through the revisions (counting crouch and standing normals as one for the IPS, frameskip, undizzy, etc).

Is a bit of a gamble really, since you can't know for sure if that would bring more players or not. That's why I think these things aren't being made just for "bringing more players" as you claim.

Personally, I like the changes that beta already has. I like it better than combo ender systems like Hitstun deterioration or flying screen.

Anyone that thinks merely shortening combos will result in more people tying game and greater player retention are setting themselves up for disappointment. At this stage of the game, you're either playing Skullgirls or you're not and this game has enough of obstacles that have resulted in people refusing to pick up the game or dropping it such as "I don't play girl characters / the game is too slow / the roster is too small for a game with 3v3 / I don't like how it looks / jiggling boobs and panties offend me / I'll wait for the patch / I'll wait until ____ is released on ____ before playing it." Combo length, if it's truly an obstacle for getting people into this game now, it's only one of MANY other "problems" this game has and why people aren't picking it up. Nothing short of Skullgirls 2 is going to change things and turn enough heads.

As for combo length, there really isn't going to be an ideal X# of seconds per combo or an ideal X# of touches that will ever make this game "fair" or "fun" for some gamers. Because if the combos end up being less than say, 10 seconds, the next complaint will be about defense not being strong enough because it's "too hard to react to resets and I die from that" or some similar complaint. Combo length isn't the root problem, it's getting hit in a combo and losing that really bothers people.

I present to the court Exhibit A:

If you're in favor of this current change and for it to be implemented, vote because it's something you personally want. Don't pretend that your vote is going to serve some greater purpose of making the game's player base grow.

So I say the game should spend more time in the lab and whatever change the game gets that we PLEASE have a current version of Skullgirls that is unchanged for at least one year. It would be awesome if SG had a consistent version for that frame of time.

Last edited:
I voted "Yes", but the changes seem like they can wait to be teaked, to be made sure that nothing goes wrong with them.

Although I voted that we should wait for Big Band to be finished, I do feel that the game still needs some time to cook. The game still feels like it needs a lot of work, and like Shin_Atproof said, we should let the current version last for a little while.

At least give time for Big Band to be tested and Eliza to begin production.

Status
Not open for further replies.