• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

POLL: Keep Fukua in the game?

Should Fukua stay in the game?

• Yes!

Votes: 383 88.7%
  • Hell no!

Votes: 50 11.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because, as far as I've seen, you're the only one who's been bringing this up. If you're so concerned about people using Fukua as a reason to call L0 lazy, then maybe you should take it upon yourself to clear up any misconceptions. Also, gonna reiterate:

STOP LOOKING THE GODDAMN GIFT HORSE IN THE MOUTH.

Please understand that, although i'm being abrasive, my concern is legitimate. I really love Skullgirls and i'm worried that it will get bad reputation, as very few players will know she's a parody as long as she's a regular character and not a secret one. I just care about the game, and i just want the best for the developers - and seeing them being called lazy will be unfair and infuriating. The gift horse is a gift for us, but for newcomers that will be confused, Fukua may be more of a problem than a gift.

I'm sorry if i sound pessimistic, abrasive or douchey. I don't like being a party pooper, but this is a discussion about the pros and cons of keeping her (at least it was), and someone has to remind the others of the negative sides - because everything has a negative side. I know i'm the only one bringing this up, but that doesn't mean it's not a legitimate concern - in fact, none of my arguments have been refuted. That proves their validity. And don't ever think that i "secretly" think LZ is lazy and i'm projecting it, no. I'm just trying to help by giving feedback. I love this game as much as you, and i'm on your side. I just want to help.

Please understand that, although i'm being abrasive, my concern is legitimate. I really love Skullgirls and i'm worried that it will get bad reputation, as very few players will know she's a parody as long as she's a regular character and not a secret one. I just care about the game, and i just want the best for the developers - and seeing them being called lazy will be unfair and infuriating. The gift horse is a gift for us, but for newcomers that will be confused, Fukua may be more of a problem than a gift.

I'm sorry if i sound pessimistic, abrasive or douchey. I don't like being a party pooper, but this is a discussion about the pros and cons of keeping her (at least it was), and someone has to remind the others of the negative sides - because everything has a negative side. I know i'm the only one bringing this up, but that doesn't mean it's not a legitimate concern - in fact, none of my arguments have been refuted. That proves their validity. And don't ever think that i "secretly" think LZ is lazy and i'm projecting it, no. I'm just trying to help by giving feedback. I love this game as much as you, and i'm on your side. I just want to help.
Let L0 worry about being called lazy. We're not part of the dev team, so that's out of our hands.

Also, Mike Z's input on the whole matter refutes your arguments. Please read what he's said over the past few pages, and tell me I'm wrong.

Also, there's this now: http://skullgirls.com/forums/index.php?threads/whats-up-with-fukua-a-q-a-with-mike-z.2433/

Reactions: erkicman
Let L0 worry about being called lazy. We're not part of the dev team, so that's out of our hands.

Oh, sorry for wanting to help.

Yeah, he still didn't confirm if she'll be in the roster or not. He just said they won't make a story mode. We're still unsure if she'll be a hidden character (which in my opinion is the best way) or a regular character (He never even explicitly said she's in, that's somewhat just implied). And unfortunately Mike never addressed to my arguments (That she'll confuse new players, for example).

But you know what, whatever. I shouldn't worry about helping the devs, i'm not one of them right? I'll just thank them for the new character and shrug this whole thing off. Who cares? We got a free new character anyways. I won't be the one called lazy, so...

I think it's just fine the way it is. If they add effects, it becomes too obvious and it's already pretty darn obvious. If you actually thought the game froze, there's no way you should get hit by it. You should be holding up since it froze during the startup of a command grab. If you thought the game froze, then you must've been holding down-back because you would see your character moving if you did anything else. So if you got caught with it thinking that the game froze, it's entirely your fault. I don't buy that excuse because you did the wrong thing anyway in the case that the game did actually freeze at that moment. People just aren't used to seeing it. No one thinks the game freezes when someone uses Clark's delayed, armored command grab.
Clark's has a sound effect, he does an animation to move his arms up. This just instantly puts her in some freezed pre command grab frame that looks like my game is glitching out.

Reactions: gllt
Oh, sorry for wanting to help.

Yeah, he still didn't confirm if she'll be in the roster or not. He just said they won't make a story mode. We're still unsure if she'll be a hidden character (which in my opinion is the best way) or a regular character (He never even explicitly said she's in, that's somewhat just implied). And unfortunately Mike never addressed to my arguments (That she'll confuse new players, for example).

But you know what, whatever. I shouldn't worry about helping the devs, i'm not one of them right? I'll just thank them for the new character and shrug this whole thing off. Who cares? We got a free new character anyways. I won't be the one called lazy, so...
Wow... You REALLY haven't read this thread. MIKE SAID HE HAS NO PLANS TO REMOVE HER, AND THAT LAB0 APPROVED FUKUA.

I voted yes as there are many reasons to keep her, the thing is I do not understand how you can not tell her apart from Fillia. I am not saying they are not similar but its really easy to tell them apart using there pallets as I do not think any over lap. I was playing arcade mode and Fukua was the assist and I knew right away it was Fukua based on the colors. Do I think she is complete? no I do not I would like to see her get a new portrait to make it easier to see for people who can not remember what Fukuas colors are compared to Fillias, But I honestly think it's fairly easy to tell them apart. I do not think she is balanced but she was made in a week so thats understandable if Mike Z can work on her whenever he has free time that would be great, so she should at least stay in the beta while he does so. She is a fun quick joke and adds a lot to the roster and I honestly would like to see more that are so different from the originals.

All they need to do really though is,
Give her a unique portrait, not necessary
give her a fly because it seems silly and she has wings so why not, not necessary at all
Maybe give her new frames, key word is maybe only if they have free time should they do it, may not be worth their time for a joke character
Defiantly give her a voice I like her as I silent character but she should talk just a bit,and everyone else when ever she is not on screen always be asking where Fukua

All in all I think she was a really good addition and really think people are blowing the whole she is to hard to tell apart from Fillia thing out of proportion as it is relatively easy if you know their colors, and I do and I do not even touch Fillia.

Last edited:
The fact that people even think the game is freezing is clearly a problem.
If two players are holding down-back in certain games, how do they know the game didn't freeze? If a character stops moving, why do you assume the game froze?
Clark's has a sound effect, he does an animation to move his arms up. This just instantly puts her in some freezed pre command grab frame that looks like my game is glitching out.
Clark only has a sound effect when you hit him and when the actual grab triggers. The startup of the grab doesn't have any sound. He just holds his hands up. When you see him do that, get out of the way. I don't see how this is different. When Filia puts her hands in her hair and it bunches up. Get out of the way because the command grab is coming. I don't see how it makes it look like your game is glitching out.

Wow... You REALLY haven't read this thread. MIKE SAID HE HAS NO PLANS TO REMOVE HER, AND THAT LAB0 APPROVED FUKUA.

And you haven't read my post. I posted that he never confirmed that she'll be in the roster and nobody knows if she'll be hidden or not. Not removed could mean, "She'll be in the beta only" or "She'll be hidden/secret character". Did you get that part? And he said they approved her in regards to the art quality. Does that mean she will be a hidden character or a regular one? Does that somehow make new players not confused? Those were my points. He just said her art quality is acceptable and that having Fukua doesn't mean more Ex/Robo/Clone characters. Oh and that she won't get a story mode. Not addressing a single thing i said. I mean, he doesn't have to, but telling me to shut up because Mike posted something about something else is simply not justifiable.

This discussion is a waste of time.

Reactions: Zombies8MyLeg
If two players are holding down-back in certain games, how do they know the game didn't freeze? If a character stops moving, why do you assume the game froze?

Clark only has a sound effect when you hit him and when the actual grab triggers. The startup of the grab doesn't have any sound. He just holds his hands up. When you see him do that, get out of the way. I don't see how this is different. When Filia puts her hands in her hair and it bunches up. Get out of the way because the command grab is coming. I don't see how it makes it look like your game is glitching out.
Go play KoF XIII, there is a very clear sound effect when he raises his arms. I even just double checked in game. And characters still have idle animations when you hold down back. Fukua just simply freezes in place with no sound effect.

And you haven't read my post. I posted that he never confirmed that she'll be in the roster and nobody knows if she'll be hidden or not. Not removed could mean, "She'll be in the beta only" or "She'll be hidden/secret character". Did you get that part? And he said they approved her in regards to the art quality. Does that mean she will be a hidden character or a regular one? Does that somehow make new players not confused? Those were my points. He just said her art quality is acceptable and that having Fukua doesn't mean more Ex/Robo/Clone characters. Oh and that she won't get a story mode. Not addressing a single thing i said. I mean, he doesn't have to, but telling me to shut up because Mike posted something about something else is simply not justifiable.

This discussion is a waste of time.
As Ravi already stated, they are going to wait about a week before they make any kind of decision on keeping her or removing her.

As Ravi already stated, they are going to wait about a week before they make any kind of decision on keeping her or removing her.

Thank you.

And you haven't read my post. I posted that he never confirmed that she'll be in the roster and nobody knows if she'll be hidden or not. Not removed could mean, "She'll be in the beta only" or "She'll be hidden/secret character". Did you get that part?And he said they approved her in regards to the art quality. Does that mean she will be a hidden character or a regular one? Does that somehow make new players not confused?

Rebuttal:
- Some sort of differentiating effect is not out of the question, I'm looking at that right now. I would not make her a code because that's much more difficult, same for locking out her and Filia on a team.

Also, I never told you to shut up; I'm not that big of an asshole. I'm just tired of having to quote and REQUOTE what's already been made obvious in the negligible hope that you'd somehow understand, instead of bludgeoning the same decrepit horse repeatedly.

So, thanks for putting words in my mouth.

I say keep Fukua in the game, she has a much different playstyle than Filia, and her reset game is downright dirty.

I love it.

I think Cilia Slide tag in would be cool. (was mentioned earlier by.. @DDB ? I'm too lazy to look!)
The move is already a familiar punish on block move (if you ever fight Double) as all raw tags should be.

It hits low! That seems unique. So far we have tags that hit high (I think?) mid, two hit tags, and Painwheel throws you. I would like a low hitting tag. (If there already is one, tell me!)

Plus, it's on the ground, and Fukua is more grounded than Filia, so seeing her come in on the ground like that from a raw tag really works IMO.

Anyways, I'll compile 'my' suggestions (for what it's worth [not much])

• Cilia Slide tag in (not mine but I second it)
  • or Gregor style or vertical 'scissors (Filia jHK)' style tag in (who suggested this? I second it too)
  • Pulsing frames (loop the surrounding frames back and forth) or effect (glow?) on armored command grab (I think it's fine but Icky does make a good point! Or at least an electrical sound effect or some electricity on it or something would be cool!)
  • Fade out the fireballs (honestly a fade out is good enough. I wouldn't mind a new one but I'm getting used to the current one and the 'disappearing' is the only eh looking part.)
I think I had others but I forget them and I'm only trying to suggest feasible stuff.

• Give her a McDonalds palette because I'M LOVIN IT *shot*

Burn it. Burn it with fire.
meme post in this thread p much summarizes it's death

I just want to see the list of references and I can be on my merry way. I am particularly surprised this caused the reaction it did

Can't wait for the next batch of content.

Retro you ARE being a douche bag about this, you are claiming that our opinions are wrong by quoting the authority figure over and over as a way to tell us to shut the fuck up because "Mommy said Yes and theres no arguing about it!", while there isnt a right or wrong opinion here.

The people who vote No are doing so because they believe keeping this character is detrimental to the overall quality of the games main roster and because we love this game we're concerned that Fukua staying might be the beggining of something worse down the line.

Hell i personally didnt expect the overall Bar for quality in this forum was this low, why dont we make marie 300% be part of the main roster as well? Shes fun to play too right? Right? Or why not make Squiffly, Fukuas rival, reborn from the dead due to an ancient spider, which gives her the ability to swing all over the stage with her Silver chord, and because its fun she can center stage in the air too!

Also Fukua to me sounds like Fuk U All, Mike Z is secretly flipping us off with this joke.

The people who vote No are doing so because they believe keeping this character is detrimental to the overall quality of the games main roster and because we love this game we're concerned that Fukua staying might be the beggining of something worse down the line.
Fukua serves as something of a, "test," for Robo Fortune, but does she also herald the coming of other Clone/Ex characters somewhere down the line?
MIKE Z: Fukua doesn't mean jack squat for any other EX characters. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

There were relevant jokes to be made, there was a holiday where such things are encouraged, there was a previous Skullgirls joke to capitalize on, there were old move ideas to begin with if they still worked, there were old unused animations to use as new things, and UI for her already existed. That, and if we're gonna do an April Fools joke it's gonna be whole hog, since everyone always says "Oh that should be a real thing!" So the idea of making a trailer where people would comment "I WOULD SO PLAY HER" and then having them really be able to do that...was irresistible. The perfect storm, minus three nights of sleep.
Source
So no, Fukua is not the beginning of more clones or whatever "worse" down the line. I think we all know Mike is better than that.

the problem with this is that people are taking ONE, not multiple, character and saying she will ruin the overall quality of the game. Unless you people can see into the future, as of right now, Fukua is the ONLY clone-esque character in the ENTIRE Skullgirls roster at all. she's not ruining anything.

It's just ONE character out of 13 original ones. Give me a break. Fukua as an idea has been around for a long time so why not make that idea into a reality?

I'm not being a douche if people are countering my argument with their same rebuttal, only with different wording. And I will continue to quote the authority figure because, at the end of it all, it's the authority figure who decides if she stays or goes. Excuse me for trying to be pragmatic about this debate.

- Why doesn't anyone remember that when I say "it's up to the community" what I really mean is "it's up to me unless the entire community disagrees, and then it's still up to me"? :^)

So far we have tags that hit high (I think?) mid, two hit tags, and Painwheel throws you. I would like a low hitting tag. (If there already is one, tell me!)
All tags hit mid, Painwheels tag can be blocked crouching/standing AND be teched (and even be teched while you're stuck in a combo). Should stay that way.

All tags hit mid, Painwheels tag can be blocked crouching/standing AND be teched (and even be teched while you're stuck in a combo). Should stay that way.

Okay! Thanks for the info. I agree.

I still like Cilia Slide tag though because I'm going to do a dumb mixup thing on you and call it and hit you with it even if it doesn't hit low. BRACE YOURSELVES.

Retro you ARE being a douche bag about this, you are claiming that our opinions are wrong by quoting the authority figure over and over as a way to tell us to shut the fuck up because "Mommy said Yes and theres no arguing about it!", while there isnt a right or wrong opinion here.

Hell i personally didnt expect the overall Bar for quality in this forum was this low, why dont we make marie 300% be part of the main roster as well? Shes fun to play too right? Right? Or why not make Squiffly, Fukuas rival, reborn from the dead due to an ancient spider, which gives her the ability to swing all over the stage with her Silver chord, and because its fun she can center stage in the air too!

Also Fukua to me sounds like Fuk U All, Mike Z is secretly flipping us off with this joke.

1. No more clones are planned at all after this (excluding Robo Fortune who by default will also lack the same "quality" due to significantly lower budget) this was already confirmed by the "authority figure" or "mom" Mike earlier. Sorry no "squiffly" for u.

2. Half the people that they voted "no" who spoke up here did so out of ignorance or made illogical arguments. Although to be fair this was before Mike cleared everything up since all what we had to go on were vague interpretations and biased opinions. I respect those who make sound arguments and/or simply don't like her because of personal opinions as long as they respect the overwhelming majority that do want her in. Just don't try to spread misinformation on why you justified your "no".

3. Boss Marie/Marie 300% wasn't designed to fight outside of the boss fight scenario. This was why her "playable" version was an actual choice in the IGG. She was made playable before briefly on stream and it was a mess that was no where near what Fukua is who is only rough at some edges. Boss Marie has no supers, can't be thrown, no hitstun (outside of a dizzy state), arguably broken special, no tag in, etc etc etc can't believe you even suggested her like she was in the same league as Fukua because of "fun".

4. The irony is that your coming off as a "douche bag" as well making the accusation that this forum community lacks "quality" by accepting a "non par" character for a game that lacks a desirable roster size. Robo Fortune soon-to-be existence and arguably double has already put this game "quality" in mortal danger according to mentioned logic. 2/3 out of the 14 characters would definitely ruin the entire character selection with their impure presence *rolls eye*. Wonder how those other numerous fighters that had it much worse regarding clone character presence managed to survive and thrive?

5. Fukua name origin was from a typing error not a way for Mike to laugh evil at us.

Bella's tag-in hits mid like the rest even though the source move is an overhead. It can just be a slide that hits mid.

2. Half the people that they voted "no" who spoke up here did so out of ignorance or made illogical arguments.
99% of people that voted "Yes" who spoke up here blatantly insulted L0 by stating Fukua was 'the best character'. Lalala

Who are all these people, anyways? 350 votes? I'm almost sure there are no 350 unique posters in the entire Gameplay section. Did they all make an account just for this?

At lest I don't put words in peoples mouths cuse I never stated she was the best character all I said was is I want her in the game. ^^

You have your opinion and I have mine and mine is I want her i the game, so deal X3

99% of people that voted "Yes" who spoke up here blatantly insulted L0 by stating Fukua was 'the best character'. Lalala
You can't deny or prove a blatant opinion. Liking x character "the best" does not make it a scientific law that x character is superior to character a, b, and c. They have every right to like whoever character they want and if that character is a clone so be it. Doubt Lab 0 cares let alone "feel insulted" if a surge of people are liking Fukua more then Filia.

Cerebella gets the honor of "best character". When I voted yes and said anything, it was because I thought she had a good enough move set and set of mechanics to justify her being in the roster. As long as she gets some polish, of course.

Who are all these people, anyways? 350 votes? I'm almost sure there are no 350 unique posters in the entire Gameplay section. Did they all make an account just for this?
I really hope this is trolling.

I really hope this is trolling.
It's getting to the point where I seriously doubt that it isn't trolling, it's just the waifu wars all over again.

Seriously guys, we are going full circle with the bad arguments and logical fallacies.

Do I have to write another essay correcting all of you?

Personally, I feel that Fukua is an interesting character in her move set. Fukua has great aerial zoning and is great for mix up grabs if the opponent gets in to close. If Lab Zero changed Fukua's looks I would not mind, and my hat's off to the Dev. Teams because they made a better/ more original "Clone" character than Capcom's Decapre in three days. So I'm not complaining, I like Fukua's move set ( a few minor tweaks could be made for balancing...) and the fact that she uses Fillia's unused animations doesn't even bother me. Fillia and Fukua use different fighting styles, but they look the same, and because of that people are going out calling Lab Zero a bunch of lazy pricks. Appearances do not matter if the play styles are completely different, end of story. Good Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.