• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Refresh Rate Inconsistencies

Varianth

I'm mashing Buer on incoming
Reaction score
Steam
https://steamcommunity.com/id/StarVarianth
Ms. Fortune Painwheel Parasoul
Hi, there are a few things I'd like to discuss relating to refresh rates in SG. I am the first to admit that I am not the most knowledgeable on the subject but I have def ran into some weird instances personally and want to learn more via discussion as well as asking around.

Firstly, I've been told SG is capped at 60 frames so the refresh rate being increased via the monitor or in game should not make a difference. I don't have any official sources telling me this is true though and I'd like to know more. This also doesn't explain why the windows version (yeah i'll bring this up again later) has a setting for 144hz on full screen mode. In final regards to this one subject, I have tried playing 60hz SG with a 144hz monitor and it felt like I would occasionally get an input eaten or perhaps a frame drop. That's anecdotal though but I think if someone is to conduct tests, it should be worth mentioning. I also tried playing "144hz" SG on windows with the monitor also at 144hz, and those occasional microstutters went away. I would say the experience is similar to 60hz SG on 60hz monitor, but actually I felt a minor difference. Inputs felt slightly tighter. It took me awhile to get all my b&b's consistent when I moved to 144hz on both the application and the hardware, but moving back to 60hz I felt like every input was being easily recieved (I did 3 different b&b's without any issues whereas normally I'm known frequently dropping). I don't know how "real" these observations are, but I think it would merit some tests.

This brings up another point that I wasn't sure had awareness to it. The Windows version of SG has the refresh rate included in it's resolution options, but the linux version doesn't. I am very grateful that the linux version has finally been updated to the most recent build version with the removal of beta and all, but having spent the last week playing on 144hz version of Skug on Windows & getting used to it i'm worried that going back to my preferred SG build (Linux) might mess with my execution since it only has the 60hz options.

A final concern that I'm not sure is substantial or not is that when I was playing on windows, if I played for long enough, it felt like all of a sudden a bunch of my inputs would start being eaten on occasion (my guess is when the application was running for too long). I'm not sure if this was a refresh rate issue, a windows issue, a keyboard issue, or a connection issue (maybe a possible desync problem). There are too many variables to take this last concern too seriously but I think it's worth keeping note of. I felt like this happened in one of my game 5's while I was playing in bracket earlier this week, I got a ton of hits that I couldn't confirm off of and lost, but maybe my ego is trying to come up with excuses lmao. (But I did confirm off those same hits earlier in the set so that's also a suspicion...)

Yeah anyways, I just want to hear any thoughts ya'll have on this, I think I'll play on 144hz for a bit longer since it feels nice but eventually switch back to 60hz bc I'm guessing that's what the offline setups are going to be using.

Last edited:
On that final concern section, I was talking to some other Linux players and it would seem the issue I was having is Windows and Keyboard related. Specifically in how Windows handles same frame keystrokes universally (this happens in multiple games). This checks out as usually the eaten inputs occurred during fast Quarter Circle inputs that I normally wouldn't miss (I got so many spiral flares instead of l.toss, fast fallen gato's to be and nonexistent buers...)
If Linux gets the 144hz setting I am switching over frame 1.
Or saving up for a left-handed hitbox