• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Reset Building Tips

DARKNESSxEAGLE

Master of Disguise
Reaction score
Steam
DixiE
PSN
DARKNESSxEAGLE
Filia Cerebella Ms. Fortune
While I would love to be knowledgeable enough to make a guide I'm not, but I have noticed a few things that contribute towards making a good reset based on things I've made and things that have been used against me.

The first reset type I'd like to talk about is the classic grab reset. Most people can pull one of these off maybe once or twice a match but after that there is a massive division based on skill levels. The key to a successful grab reset (or any reset for that matter) is ambiguity. If you watch Duckator play you'll see him use Val's c.LP before his opponent lands, and their hitstun is cancelled upon landing so he can grab faster than he usually can, which catches people off guard a fair bit. A method like this, even if there are no landing cancels involved works very well when you've been putting constant pressure on your opponent. This video is pretty much the same as what I'd recommend for someone who wants a simple but generally successful reset when done at the end of a combo.

The second type of reset that I actually know how to use is a mixup reset (I dunno if these have a more elegant title). Most people who have played other fighting games and players who have played Skullgirls for a while seem to know about these. An obvious example (also with Val) is Air Combo -airdash> j.LK, which lands her on the opposite side of the opponent and will catch unsuspecting victims while they block in the wrong direction. At higher level play everyone is suspecting this, and if you watch Duck play you'll see him dash back to the original side as his opponents try to block the simple version of the mixup only to find out their efforts were all for nothing. Painwheel can do something similar from the skies using her j.HK and Fortune can dash underneath falling opponents to catch them from their other side. I've seen Isa pull one with Parasoul before too so I doubt there are many, if any characters that can't pull one off.

The final type that I can actually talk about, and is probably my favourite type, is the burst bait. Commonly these only work on people who don't know burst baits exist or people who are just mashing supers (which is a good use in its own right but better players won't fall for this). The problem is that the simplest baits only involve one hit, so people will avoid bursting on the initial activation of sparks. There are some, such as this bait that IsaVulpes uploaded here that have multiple hits and I imagine will catch plenty of the better players off guard several times, but there is a way to more reliably pull of a single hit bait. Set up a combo that activates burst on the last hit safely, but make it so that either in place of that attack you have a grab reset. When you've pulled of the grab reset once of twice they'll expect it and try to tech the grab, however if you switch it up with your one hit bait they'll try teching the grab (or mashing super) only to find themselves activating burst instead, leaving them ripe for some new beatings. I have one of these for Ms Fortune, Filia and Cerebella so I doubt there are many characters that one can't be built for.

To finish I have an extra guideline to improve the chances of success on a reset and increase mental pressure on the opponent. Make a combo with multiple reset options throughout, options that come up simultaneously in a combo will be considerably harder for the opponent to predict than when there are obvious signs that a combo is catered towards a specific reset. An example with Bella that comes to mind is Launcher -jump> j.LP -repeatedly> j.HP -land> Diamond Drop/Kanchou/jump into j.HP

Hopefully this helps some people and I haven't just typed up a load of rubbish that is useless. Anyone got any suggestions or explanations of things I haven't covered? Even if people don't use them they'll help to counter or defend against them.

Last edited:
Good info. I never thought about setting up burst baits by making them believe you would grab in one spot. I'll see if I can contribute any tips at some point in the future.

Good info. I never thought about setting up burst baits by making them believe you would grab in one spot. I'll see if I can contribute any tips at some point in the future.
Grab bursts are the only reliable burst bait mixups that i know of, but they ARE strong. Burst baits based on mashing are situational offline and discourage super mashing online, but if your opponent is the type to like to block alot, they dont work well.

Just use grab/burst mixups and you are golden.

A painwheel one is:

J.mp (4) xx fly df airgrab

Or j.mp (4) xx fly df +j.lk

If they try to tech and the pw timing was good, pw falls to the ground after the bait wiffs.

Also, general reset theory is to drop your combo and then do a crossup, a high, or a throw. And once the reset spot is known by the opponent, you can throw in lows and burst baits to keep them honest about mashing supers or mashing tech.

/end thread :)

Here are the two essential components of a good reset.

- You end your combo on a move that gives you frame advantage on hit
- Even if your opponent knows what the reset is and has seen it before they still have to guess a mixup

That's pretty much it.

The key to a successful grab reset (or any reset for that matter) is ambiguity. If you watch Duckator play you'll see him use Val's c.LP before his opponent lands, and their hitstun is cancelled upon landing

This is simply not true. c.LP just has very little hitstun.

To reiterate, yes i think Clarence is correct... And a way to verify is this:

Restands are basically hitstun applied to landing opponents. So the hitstun doesnt wear off it just gets applied to a new state. I think the confusion applies to blockstun which iirc gets negated when going from air blockstun to ground state.

But its cool either way, no biggie.

Damn, this is what I get for talking based on what other people do, as opposed to what I'm sure about. Thanks for pointing it out. If you noticed anything else don't hesitate to point it out.