• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Rising Thunder [PC]

How do you get a key for this if you registered? Do you just wait for an email?
yeah... you gotta wait for the key to come via email. My guess... your going to have to wait 24 hours at least.

In other news I'm going to pick up the quote on quote "Grappler" bot. More like a mix between Potemkin and Tagger with his grounded Magentic lariat and his chargeable command grabs. Cool thing is you can combo into his super which is just a hit grab, so there is a major plus off of that. His air grab seems like a great combo extender with out the cost of kinetic meter to continue the combo.

ARghughugh I want a key. :<
yeah i know everyone here is waiting for it... frigging sucks having to refresh the email every 30 minutes hoping to get the key...

But yeah this game looks to be simple yet fairly complex when everything is in motion. You would think that the juggle system is too limiting only giving you 5 juggle points, but as it turns out doing a roman cancel will take 1 point off of your juggle combo which is super neat and it doing so will also reduce the cool down of your special moves. So it this huge balance between doing special moves and managing their cool downs, managing your kinetic meter so that you can roman cancel to either make yourself safe or to continue a combo, and then there is your super meter.

I'm surprised there isn't a wiki for the game yet, especially since the game is actually out now.

It seems that they have pilots, one is mentioned to have a dog as a pilot. '-'

Yeah, and I guess it's got a sense of humor. The dog is supposed to be super intelligent... for a dog. But he's still just a dog.

That's Vlad's pilot btw (who looks stupid fun to play).

Reactions: Uzumakihero
I saw some gameplay last night and it looked really fun. Several of the Robots look surprisingly good in motion and their voices give them a good bit of personality. The only thing that bothers me are their blank "faces". Their faces just look daed: their "mouths" dont move; they show no expressions when attacking or getting it; and their head lights(eyes) always look straight ahead. I guess I find it odd that humanoid robots with human-like behaviors lack one of the major parts of human interaction.

I dont expect a complete overhaul of the characters, but minor changes to give them more "life" would be great: eye texture changes to emulate the eyes moving (assuming they dont want to remodel the heads) and perhaps something similar for "mouths"; directional lights coming from the eyes; stretching/squashing the eye areas to emulate expressions; or maybe something as simple as more head movement.

I'm pretty excited to try the game out. It looks like it might be pretty fun to play, and I'm interested to see how the choice of controls feels. I also like the characters a lot. Some of them come across as a little bland, but the overall visual style is very nice and I like the audio design as well.

Anyone knows the specs for the game? I'm sure my pc can't run it, but it would be good to have some kind of reference.

Anyone knows the specs for the game? I'm sure my pc can't run it, but it would be good to have some kind of reference.
On my Skullgirls laptop, it ran very poorly with graphical settings at default, but when I did autodetect it put a bunch of stuff on Low/Medium and ran fine.

Reactions: TheCrankMachine
oh neat so toaster computers after the game adjusts it's graphics can run the game just fine then. Cool Beans. It's still a little weird having a fighter be browser based but hey if it works it works.

come on key code just give it to me already. I want to do cool grab combos.

oh neat so toaster computers after the game adjusts it's graphics can run the game just fine then. Cool Beans. It's still a little weird having a fighter be browser based but hey if it works it works.

come on key code just give it to me already. I want to do cool grab combos.
Wait, really? I mean I know there's stuff like webgl for rendering in a browser (usually small apps/games), but in terms of scale this is a first for me.

Their faces just look daed: their "mouths" dont move.

I'm assuming this is a cost cutting measure, the nice thing about using a robot is you don't have to sink money into animating faces and stuff.

I'm assuming this is a cost cutting measure, the nice thing about using a robot is you don't have to sink money into animating faces and stuff.

in b4 Beast Fury Rising Thunder

Holy shit.

Vlad is crazy on offense. Especially over GGPO. I bet they remove flight cancelling his standing normals when they balance this game. :<

Reactions: Uzumakihero
The only thing i'm finding "weird" in the art/sound department is the dub.

It feels like americans speaking another language they're familiar with...

It's hard to explain. it seems to have an accent but it also seems like it doesn't...

Shit is a lot of fun. It's definitely a fighting game.

Vlad is too good on a high ms connection. lol. Haven't lost a game and keep getting matched up with West coasters.

If you want someone who has easy access to 50/50s and answers to Talos' armored 6H, play Vlad

buddy don't worry over things like this. This is a playable Alpha things are not set in stone and for the most part we should be looking at the gameplay and seeing what needs to be adjusted, bug fixed, ect.

WHAT? Krackatoa you got the code before I did? Maaaaaaaaan this bites. out of 2000 more people added into the beta i don't get in? Just how many people are hyped up for this game?

This format allows for fast patches in the final product anyway, i want to see the possibilities with custom builds. This game has a lot of depht, and is simple, i like that, i want to try the game out.

But yeah, they need to step up the designs in the final product, maybe give sound effects to the voices?

Game is pretty fun so far. Really enjoying the overall feel and pace of the matches I've played over the last hour. The visual and audio design is nice and engaging, and the gameplay feels really solid.

I've pretty much been playing Talos the whole time. I've also been using the "Advance" kinetics over the "Barrier" because I like cancels more than bursts. It allows me to do some fun combos off of my command grabs.

How do you guys feel about having to select between two ways to use your kinetics meter? I'm curious to know what other people are doing.

i'm going straight for the roman cancels. the combo potential is just too great by using the kinetic meter that way. Can get away with a ton of damage/ stun and not to mention more swag stuff going into your super.

Got in, tried the alpha today. Runs slow on my 3 year old laptop (which was an upper mid-range gaming laptop when it came out). Even at lowest settings, it dips from 59fps to 10fps when you activate super.

Also, playing on keyboard only as both my TE2 and my HRAP aren't supported. Apparently it only works with 360 controllers, which is shit for me since my only 360 controller is a dedicated 6 button custom. Really hope they add 2/3 button options for supers and throws and make it so that it just recognizes any sort of controller plugged into the game.

Reactions: Ronus and Daemyx
Playing Dauntless was something

laughing.

Played it a bunch today. Overall I'm not really impressed.

They took out special move inputs to make it better for casual players but then there's a bunch of tight links in the game with no input buffers. Wakeup Reversal canceled into the Kinetic Advance or whatever its called is safe and leads into a ton of damage on hit just like my least favorite thing in SF4. Also you can't see your opponent's Kinetic Meter which is really annoying because you have no idea if they have meter to make their reversals safe or not. Backdashes are invincible which is dumb and totally unnecessary.

Your opponent's character can move during the super-flash zoom in which feels completely wrong. At one point I saw my opponent's super-fireball startup cinematic and just jumped over it during the zoom-in cutscene. I was already half way over his head before the zoom was over despite not having inputted a jump until I saw the zoom-in.

The cooldown system for the moves feels pretty clunky. Its a pain in the ass to dragon punch a Grappler out of the air only to have him jump in again immediately while your DP is on cooldown. It just encourages people to jump a lot. Universal Crossup has way too much range which leads to being crossed up CONSTANTLY when your opponent is anywhere close to you even from point-blank range. You may as well not even bother to try to use your mid-range pokes.

Character movesets are solid but but there's nothing too impressive. You've got your standard grappler, standard shoto, a command-run mixup character, a boxer and a shoto with a jetpack.

Oh and the game runs on GGPO but for some reason you can't select your input delay.... WHY? This is like the biggest oversight in the entire game.

I'll give it a couple more days to grow on me but so far my first impression is I can't see myself sticking with it. It has a lot of things in it that i dislike from SF4. I realize its an alpha but the basic mechanics need a big overhaul, IMO.

Got in today and played a few matches.
This thing of buttons for specials/throws/supers is messing me up so hard. CD on specials are also super weird. I don't like how the game sounds, it has so little impact on moves and don't feel satisfying at all. Also it feels like the hit-boxes are not where they should sometimes. I don't like way the camera is positioned i'd rather have it further away.
Was using the burst over the RC, didn't look like the damage potential was that big to use over a combobreaker.

Yeah, I know. It why I reird to list ways to "fix" it without having to remodel and add significantly more strain. 3D faces have a lot of "bones".

Initial impressions just like 45 mins with training mode because rofl implying im gonna matchmake with any other australians:

Backdash is invulnerable because ???? the game doesn't seem to have really threatening neutral or mixups so idk why backdash needs to be invul.

The game has Stun for some reason because ???? I have a sneaking suspicion it has stun, dash cancel, and backdash invul because the developers looked at sf4 and went "you know what this is the best fg ever lets remake this but easier".

Boxer character I don't understand the point of their moveset. Do they poke into S1? Do they whiff punish(They have no good normals for this)? Do they rush down(The only good pressure string is LLLLLL which can't really lead into anything potent at any push-out range or even if it hits)? It sortof feels like they want to rush down or control space but don't have good rushdown or space control options???

Chinese run special robot has lackustre normals as well. Has wallbounces and mash dp followup. Not sure what the point of his first special is. His run special gives him a slide, some overswing attack which might be an overhead idk, and something else. He can stop his run for some reason. Why would he stop his run? He doesn't really have any cool ways to cancel into it like with a normal that has any distance at all like SF4 Guy does.

Ivan with jetpack and jetpack cancels seems neat but his normals are just as underwhelming as the other two. It seems like most of the game's design went into the big picture specials and systems and none of it into the spacial mixups that makes 2D fighting games gud.

Normals aren't designed with spacing in mind.

Considering Seth Killian is associated with this I am extremely surprised that the game has "yeah lets put in invul backdash and stun and FADC just cos. normals idkwtf the point of normals is lets just give everyone cool specials" as its design philosophy. I thought this game would be like, breaking down how fighting games actually play at a high level, and building a game to let beginners more easily access this delicious portion of the game, which was their mission statement.

Even though this game is just in ALPHA STAGE which is understandable pretty much all games are garbage in Alpha stage but if the game already has feature bloat and is giving me a sense that the game doesn't have a consistent thesis in alpha then its a bit worrying

I hope that I'm missing a LOT of information about this game and it's secretly amazing when I know more of it.

Last edited:
Chinese run special robot has lackustre normals as well. Has wallbounces and mash dp followup. Not sure what the point of his first special is. His run special gives him a slide, some overswing attack which might be an overhead idk, and something else. He can stop his run for some reason. Why would he stop his run? He doesn't really have any cool ways to cancel into it like with a normal that has any distance at all like SF4 Guy does.

FYI Edge's Alpha special does good damage, its safe on block, does good chip and lets you end combos with your opponent standing which is neat. Its pretty much his best special move. Also on-hit it powers up his dragon punch with the button followups. At 3 stocks the dragon punch does a wall-bounce to continue combos off of it. But yeah, my overall impression is that his normals are incredibly stubby except for his sweep which is slow and unsafe. His neutral is incredibly bad as a result. His up-close game is good but its not really super threatening because once you block his Alpha special (or hit with it even) he actually has to stop pressure to wait for it to come back off of cooldown.

Dauntless (boxer) plays like a combination of Dudley and Balrog. She's got an armored rush punch, an invincible reversal and short-swing-blow (why you would give a Dudley clone with only 3 specials the extremely situational one, I have no idea) . She seems like she has decent buttons compared to most of the cast and has Dudley's overhead into s.H target combo, giving her a pretty threatening 50/50. IMO she's the strongest character in the game right now along with Chel.

Normals aren't designed with spacing in mind.

What gives you that impression? You said you didn't do any matchmaking, so how can you possibly come to such a conclusion if you haven't played any matches? Whether or not the normals are useful for various aspects of spacing depends largely on how the game plays and whether or not the players have enough experience to use their normals with spacing in mind. I obviously haven't played this game for long, but I've had plenty of matches where I rely on my normals for spacial control.

Considering Seth Killian is associated with this I am extremely surprised that the game has "yeah lets put in invul backdash and stun and FADC just cos.

Why not? Is there some reason a developer can't make a new game that plays similar to another game just because they like how that other game plays? What's wrong with developing the game to have a particular playstyle that he likes? All games in this genre pull from one another while attempting to create something fresh and unique. If the dude wants to make a game that plays like SF4 but is more open to new players, then I don't see a problem here.

I'm not saying that all of the design decisions are good choices, nor am I saying they all work. I personally don't see the point in having invincible back dashes, and I would agree that some characters tend to have a stronger focus on using their specials at neutral rather than trying to control space with movement and normals. Yet, I also don't see anything wrong with these things. I haven't played the game enough to really tell how all of these design choices impact the game and where it might go from here. All I know is that I've enjoyed playing the game so far, so I'll give it a little more time to see where things go.

Reactions: dead
The Short Swing Blow can be used without the ender, making it a command dash, and has a really good Left/Right mixup in the corner with it.

Also, Backdash invuln is in BECAUSE of DP FADC. It makes it easier to bait DP on wakeup. Also, you can OS vs. Backdash in this game. lol. It's SFIV.

Also, Vlad is amazing, and his pokes are great. He technically has bad pokes, but the ability to flight cancel his far.H is a great momentum stealer.

Also his forward.M goes over lows and is pretty great on hit (0 on block or something).

It's like street fighter 4... But I like it way better. The combo system isn't pointlessly difficult and it doesn't pretend to have more than 3 usable normal buttons. Sure it's got fadc which I hate in sf4... But I kind of feel like forgiving it, idk.

If I could change anything it would be to make it so you can see all the meters, see your opponent's meters and both players stun gauge. Stun is worthless if it's hidden, it's a mechanic designed to promote offense and if you can't see it then it might as well not be there, especially if they're aiming this at new players. Oh and proximity normals bother me I would rather have command normals.

Sure it's got fadc which I hate in sf4... But I kind of feel like forgiving it, idk.

You mean ROMAN CANCELS. as in the mechanic that is a major part of Guilty Gear, to help players confirm off of specials or to keep pressure on an opponent.

Cause FADC's are a little bit different in the fact that you are canceling a moving into an other attack which you can either let rock, or cancel the focus attack into a forward dash. In a Roman Cancel you can cancel a move into neutral, which gives the player a crud ton more options.

Let's not make this about semantics over cancel systems. I have literally referred to them as FADC, RC, YRC, KFC, Kinect Advance, Kinect Cancel and one time I even called it Kinetic Advance.

I dislike hidden loadouts. I wish you could see their loadout before the match starts. I don't really mind not seeing cooldowns.

Reactions: Spencer
all i'm saying is that Kinetic Cancels are more related to Roman Cancels than FADCs.

But yeah, the Hud needs to show your opponent's Kinetic meter/ special loadout. Don't know where the stun meter should go if it were to be placed into the game. I would have said to place it under the health meter but the super bar is there... so maybe place it in a ring shaped bar and place it near the Kinetic bar? idk... overall it needs some adjusting.

The UI isn't final I'm sure. I really don't like hidden stun, or stun for that matter.