• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Report Salty Updates 11 April 2014

Some Person

Pretty Pony Princess
Reaction score
Steam
Apple Jack
PSN
xervort13
Valentine Double Cerebella
Not much to mention this week since Mike is on vacation. However, there's a piece of information that should be considered amongst people interested in Rebel Up.[prbreak]Head below the break to see what there is.[/prbreak]
  • Fukua
    • Now going to be a permanent character.
    • Fireball has a new style effect.
    • New super (The Drill of My Dreams) (QCF + KK)
    • New frames of animation (as stated previously)
    • New shadow clone move (Forever A Clone) (qcb + k)
  • Big Band
    • Fully finished (awaiting Microsoft and Sony confirmation)
In other news. Since we've been a part of Rebel Up, I felt it would be appropriate to bring up the Super Arcade Kickstarter that's currently going on. Granted, the Kickstarter has already reached its goal amount, but there are always stretch goals going on. If you have some money to donate, then go on and give Super Arcade some extra money!

thanks for the update! Hopefully we'll get actual Big Band release news soon.

Reactions: blufang
Maybe I should move to the West Coast. All the cool stuff seems to be there.

Anyways, a round of applause for Big Band being finished. Hopefully, Sony and Microsoft allow these changes quickly, so that everyone can enjoy BEATing each other up.

Reactions: FinalShoryuken
didnt they say that despite Mike is on vacation he will still spend a little time working on Eliza?

Anytime I hear somebody's "on vacation" I recall that one scene from Forrest Gump and become quite concerned.

Speaking of Salty from the other night, didn't render ask if people were interested in more taunt/win/intro poses using existing frames and character assets? Because that sounds super cool.

Rechecking the time frame, its under the salty broadcast at (1:29:10).

Why not add the stuff if all the assets are there?

I haven't watched the Twitch but I figure with 'existing assets' they don't mean "We have a completed winpose" but "We take some completed frames from some move and turn that into a winpose", ie a Parasoul winpose where she spins her umbrella as she does for Tear Toss

well there some unused assets that could be perfect for such a purpose. for example, there are a few things already in the art compendium thread:
Unused Peacock animation.
870.gif

i honestly just want peacock to have a winpose where she just walks off the stage singing "Well you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man, no time to talk"

Reactions: Makross
I figure with 'existing assets' they don't mean "We have a completed winpose" but "We take some completed frames from some move and turn that into a winpose", ie a Parasoul winpose where she spins her umbrella as she does for Tear Toss

Yes, this is what I meant. In the same way that Fukua's winposes are all made from existing assets. I was wondering how people felt about new winposes that were "remixes" of other stuff those characters had.

It costs more money and time to create new assets, but it costs very little - both in terms of memory and money - to reuse pre-existing stuff creatively.

Last edited:
Reactions: Professor Icepick
I was wondering how people felt about new winposes that were "remixes" of other stuff those characters had.
If it's either that or nothing - which it realistically usually is - I for one am all for it. Things like that can understandably look bad if done lousy, but with Fukua you guys have proven to know how to reuse assets while making them look fresh.

If it's either that or nothing - which it realistically usually is - I for one am all for it.

I'm not saying the possibility of doing newly animated ones is off the table, by the way. I just wondered how people might feel about it since they seemed to like Fukua's stuff.

No one's saying we're limited to only one winpose per character either. We could always do a couple remix ones sometime soon, and then animate a new one later on. But realistically, we won't know if we're able to do new animations for the original cast until after Robo-Fortune's done.

Fukua's really turned out to be a great experiment, and has informed us a great deal on what direction we should go with Robo-Fortune. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Armageddon11
hopefully Robortune is almost as creatively lazy as Fukua
plus whatever bells and whistles she also gets

I just hope we can get that dancing peacock as a win pose. Especially if they can have Andy & Tommy hop out with their Thumbs Up! pose from her super.

Like that team pose that Captain Commando has in MvC2.

Reused assets for poses....ya know that could lead to so many epic looking win poses *w*

I'm not saying the possibility of doing newly animated ones is off the table, by the way. I just wondered how people might feel about it since they seemed to like Fukua's stuff.

No one's saying we're limited to only one winpose per character either. We could always do a couple remix ones sometime soon, and then animate a new one later on. But realistically, we won't know if we're able to do new animations for the original cast until after Robo-Fortune's done.
I'm sure you gentlemen can work wonders with existing assets. Fukua well proved that.
But regarding new poses, couldn't you folks slide in some that used very few frames like a Satsuki pose for Parasoul.
Satsuki_Kiryūin_body_(Junketsu_non-active).png

Just a layman's musing. I have no idea how much it would cost to even draw a single new frame and code it in...

Reused assets for poses....ya know that could lead to so many epic looking win poses *w*
Valentine bags the opponent and flies off with her/him.
Peacock does c.HK and sits there jamming that banjo.
Parasoul hops on a bike just like tag out and a after a couple of seconds, rides out with a brigade following.
Squigly does Center Stage (this might need a new sound file).
Just brainstorming out loud...

But regarding new poses, couldn't you folks slide in some that used very few frames like a Satsuki pose for Parasoul.
You mean her pose when she does napalm pillar?

It would probably need to be slightly edited so she doesn't look as tense but yes, the Napalm Pillar pose.

Parasoul hops on a bike just like tag out and a after a couple of seconds, rides out with a brigade following.

I like this idea a lot, and it's probably not very difficult to implement. I've got a few other ideas for Parasoul already too, but we'll see what there's time for. Can't make any guarantees. :P

Also, uhh, that seems like a really common pose that Satsuki just happens to be doing, rather than an iconic pose Satsuki is known for...

Last edited:
Yes, the Napalm Pillar-esque pose Zazz mentioned is more in tune with the classic Satsuki pose but I couldn't find a appropriate screenshot (even though I did when first presenting the idea) and thought to myself that one was nonetheless fairly suitable.

Tis a matter of doing a little forum search and here it is - The Satsuki pose

Actually, remixing existing poses for new things would be a pretty cool concept. A lot of these ideas in the thread sound pretty awesome especially the Parasoul and Peacock ones.

I'd like to see more "off-screen" winposes: maybe you could do one for Headless Fortune where she chases her head or one where Painwheel flies off. That or maybe you could do something with Valentine's counter-super where she just sort of disappears, like a ninja.

Actually, remixing existing poses for new things would be a pretty cool concept. A lot of these ideas in the thread sound pretty awesome especially the Parasoul and Peacock ones.

I'd like to see more "off-screen" winposes: maybe you could do one for Headless Fortune where she chases her head or one where Painwheel flies off. That or maybe you could do something with Valentine's counter-super where she just sort of disappears, like a ninja.
like vals tag out also?

I wouldn't mind having winposes from recycled animations. Personally, I've always thought that Parasoul should do her Silent Scope pose instead of her usual winpose for her "Alert the canine squad" victory quote against Ms. Fortune.

Also, didn't know Mike was on vacation. Hope he's having and relaxing! You better not be working >,<

It would probably need to be slightly edited so she doesn't look as tense but yes, the Napalm Pillar pose.
Could use her assist taunt, it's a similar pose.

EDIT (to avoid a double-post): hell, mix them together, so you get the impact from Pillar, but the finished position from the assist taunt.

Another idea: reuse Squigly's tag-out. When that was first shown during the IGG video, I always thought it was going to be her win-pose. Same with that pose she makes when Daisy Pusher connects.

Last edited:
Reactions: Balder
They said they'd tell us whenever they hear back from Sony and/or Microsoft about release scheduling.

Therefore, two weeks.

i'd like a painwheel intro with her using her snapback or throw animation to punch a random Egret off screen.
similar to how in Blazblue, azrael has an intro where he kicks a library soldier away.

also, how about a Filia vs. Fukua intro with them flying onto the screen and clashing with jump MK? see Makoto vs. Ibuki intro in Third Strike for an example of what I mean.

They said they'd tell us whenever they hear back from Sony and/or Microsoft about release scheduling.

Therefore, two weeks.

Oh i thought you meant "two weeks" two weeks

Nope, just the euphemism. We don't know when they'll be ready. So, two weeks.

also, how about a Filia vs. Fukua intro with them flying onto the screen and clashing with jump MK? see Makoto vs. Ibuki intro in Third Strike for an example of what I mean.

Oooh, rival intros would be pretty cool. Then again, so would some friendly ones. Maybe use BB's assist taunt for a special intro for Peacock.

i'd like a painwheel intro with her using her snapback or throw animation to punch a random Egret off screen.
similar to how in Blazblue, azrael has an intro where he kicks a library soldier away.

My favorite thing like this is when two Akihiko's meet in P4A and they fist bump before fighting.

Reactions: Lunerstep
That is every stern/firm/serious character with a sword/staff/scepter/anything ever.
That is true. I just mentioned Satsuki because it was easier to find a visual aid for what I meant. The pose is far from being exclusive to her and I'm not extra fond of her either. I just think it would fit Parasoul while requiring very few frames.

Nope, just the euphemism. We don't know when they'll be ready. So, two weeks.
There's nothing euphemistic about "two weeks". Those words are a hex of the highest order.:PUN:

As for special intros, we had a topic where that was discussed but I can't seem to find it. Oh well... (.__.)
IIRC, I suggested Painwheel vs Valentine being Painy charging in with a Pinion Dash and Val evading it with her burst.

Reactions: Lunerstep
Well, whaddaya know. Icepick jinxed it. PSN updated and there is no sign of Skullgirls on the update page on the blog.

Reactions: agent13