• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Savage Bypass Bug Thread

TyroneOCanada

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Steam
Tyrone O'Canada
Valentine Robo Fortune Double
Good morning folks. I’m here with the long overdue bypass bug post. I hope this will bring attention to an issue thats been around forever, and hopefully it can be revisited in the future. The bypass bug is one of the most frustrating things of playing Val, and being an integral move in Val routing, it's not something that you can just ignore. For non-Val players who can’t really understand the frustration of this, picture yourself doing a combo with your character, but at any point where you use a special, it can randomly drop. Imagine doing a Parasoul combo, and napalm shot just passes through the opponent and you get mashed on. Imagine dropping a game winning combo as Fortune, not because of your execution, but because Gato didn't produce a hitbox. You get the idea. I'm not asking for bypass to be buffed, I just want bypass to work properly when I input it. "QOL" I guess we like to call it.

There was a patch a while back that addressed a bypass fix; "
Fixed a bug where Savage Bypass would sometimes fail to produce any hitbox if Valentine touched the corner as the hit should have been delivered."
but when Annie released, it was reverted to only affect the ground version and not the air version of bypass. This however doesn't solve the issue, as I will show in various examples below where bypass doesn't produce a hitbox despite being midscreen.

The rest of this post will document examples of different instances where bypass does not work as intended. I'm unsure if these can all be considered "bugs" but they are all unexpected results from savage bypass. Most of the time when bypass breaks, it falls in one of the categories below. (This covers only the major instances of bypass acting wonky and may not include every single weird niche interaction).

Category 1) Bypass does not produce a hitbox, but Val still passes through the character
  • This is probably the most famous case and the one people meme about all the time. Val will play the bypass animation and go through to the other side of the other character but will not actually produce any hitboxes.
  • Upon looking at this more, my speculation is that MAYBE the bypass hitbox just doesn’t appear at all if she has already traveled a certain distance above or below the opponent before becoming active

Category 2) Bypass does not produce a hitbox, Val stops short of the character
  • I am not completely sure if this is the same problem as the previous category, but in these instances, they look similar to when the Val uses an incorrect weaker bypass and whiffs same-side.

Category 3) Bypass does not produce a hitbox; Val hits the corner before the hitbox is produced
  • This appears to be the issue that was resolved for ground bypass. This clip also shows that this is not an issue for H bypass as it is clear that a MK was input

Category 4) Bypass produces a hitbox, but Val pushes the character instead of connecting
  • First 3 examples should have hit the opponent but instead Val's body just shoves them backwards
  • Last example shows that this also can occur when the opponent is blocking

Category 5) Bypass connects, but Valentine does not switch sides despite being midscreen
  • One example of it forcing a dropped combo and one example of it not dropping. These were L bypass and M bypass respectively.

Category 6) Grounded bypass connects, keeps same side
  • This is one of the few times where bypass not working properly is actually beneficial since the sideswitch would not have allowed for a pickup.
  • The whiffed launcher may have played a role in the game thinking it was still corner, but I was unable to replicate the result.
  • I made this a different category bc I thought the fact that it was ground bypass was significant. This was a 2 month old clip, and it proves that even though a hitbox was produced, there are still unintended results of ground bypass

Category 7) Valentine bypasses the wrong direction
  • This is not the best example of this, but its funny that on top of going the wrong way, she also didn't produce a hitbox.,
  • Most of the time this is caused by Val failing to auto correct before bypassing.
  • Happens most frequently when she is directly above the opponent, and is trying to convert off a dead cross or scalpels hit

All in all this move is very buggy, and as shown above, the bug can occur anywhere on the screen and to L, M, and H bypasses. I understand that the HVS team has other priorities at the moment like Black Dahlia, but I think it would be great if this was looked at again whenever the next time passes are made through the cast for balancing.

Shoutouts and thanks to Tossle, YBT, Ikkisoad, Minivini, Ranger, some Val maincord folks, and anyone else who posted clips or sent sauce/info my way

This is the PhD dissertation of complaining about bugs, nice work. It would be very nice for her to have bypass be a more consistent option, especially in combos, and I don't think it would be an egregious power increase or allow for any crazy overpowered combo routes.

Since we are at the beginning of another beta cycle it would be very nice to re-enable that change to air bypass that we saw towards the end of Annie's beta and give it another whirl.

Another thing I want to bring up about potential bypass QOL stuff but didn't include in the original post bc I don't think its really a bug and may not even be possible to fix

Theres a few frames after you pass through the character where she doesn't autocorrect immediately after ground bypass (valentine combo ender), so she does the super in the same direction you initially were facing. This really doesn't come up a lot and is only really an issue for level 3 since ekg has a back hitbox and you realistically never do ground scalpels midscreen to end a combo.

and yeah, I took a LOT of tries to get all 3 of these to do this in a row

Good morning folks. I’m here with the long overdue bypass bug post. I hope this will bring attention to an issue thats been around forever, and hopefully it can be revisited in the future. The bypass bug is one of the most frustrating things of playing Val, and being an integral move in Val routing, it's not something that you can just ignore. For non-Val players who can’t really understand the frustration of this, picture yourself doing a combo with your character, but at any point where you use a special, it can randomly drop. Imagine doing a Parasoul combo, and napalm shot just passes through the opponent and you get mashed on. Imagine dropping a game winning combo as Fortune, not because of your execution, but because Gato didn't produce a hitbox. You get the idea. I'm not asking for bypass to be buffed, I just want bypass to work properly when I input it. "QOL" I guess we like to call it.

There was a patch a while back that addressed a bypass fix; "
Fixed a bug where Savage Bypass would sometimes fail to produce any hitbox if Valentine touched the corner as the hit should have been delivered."
but when Annie released, it was reverted to only affect the ground version and not the air version of bypass. This however doesn't solve the issue, as I will show in various examples below where bypass doesn't produce a hitbox despite being midscreen.

The rest of this post will document examples of different instances where bypass does not work as intended. I'm unsure if these can all be considered "bugs" but they are all unexpected results from savage bypass. Most of the time when bypass breaks, it falls in one of the categories below. (This covers only the major instances of bypass acting wonky and may not include every single weird niche interaction).

Category 1) Bypass does not produce a hitbox, but Val still passes through the character
  • This is probably the most famous case and the one people meme about all the time. Val will play the bypass animation and go through to the other side of the other character but will not actually produce any hitboxes.
  • Upon looking at this more, my speculation is that MAYBE the bypass hitbox just doesn’t appear at all if she has already traveled a certain distance above or below the opponent before becoming active

Category 2) Bypass does not produce a hitbox, Val stops short of the character
  • I am not completely sure if this is the same problem as the previous category, but in these instances, they look similar to when the Val uses an incorrect weaker bypass and whiffs same-side.

Category 3) Bypass does not produce a hitbox; Val hits the corner before the hitbox is produced
  • This appears to be the issue that was resolved for ground bypass. This clip also shows that this is not an issue for H bypass as it is clear that a MK was input

Category 4) Bypass produces a hitbox, but Val pushes the character instead of connecting
  • First 3 examples should have hit the opponent but instead Val's body just shoves them backwards
  • Last example shows that this also can occur when the opponent is blocking

Category 5) Bypass connects, but Valentine does not switch sides despite being midscreen
  • One example of it forcing a dropped combo and one example of it not dropping. These were L bypass and M bypass respectively.

Category 6) Grounded bypass connects, keeps same side
  • This is one of the few times where bypass not working properly is actually beneficial since the sideswitch would not have allowed for a pickup.
  • The whiffed launcher may have played a role in the game thinking it was still corner, but I was unable to replicate the result.
  • I made this a different category bc I thought the fact that it was ground bypass was significant. This was a 2 month old clip, and it proves that even though a hitbox was produced, there are still unintended results of ground bypass

Category 7) Valentine bypasses the wrong direction
  • This is not the best example of this, but its funny that on top of going the wrong way, she also didn't produce a hitbox.,
  • Most of the time this is caused by Val failing to auto correct before bypassing.
  • Happens most frequently when she is directly above the opponent, and is trying to convert off a dead cross or scalpels hit

All in all this move is very buggy, and as shown above, the bug can occur anywhere on the screen and to L, M, and H bypasses. I understand that the HVS team has other priorities at the moment like Black Dahlia, but I think it would be great if this was looked at again whenever the next time passes are made through the cast for balancing.

Shoutouts and thanks to Tossle, YBT, Ikkisoad, Minivini, Ranger, some Val maincord folks, and anyone else who posted clips or sent sauce/info my way
thats really sad hope lian help you val players :(

Very frustrating bug! What also hurts too is how it's very hard to lab out when and how it fails to function normally, making it hard to consistently respond to where and when it might drop. As said, it's very core to her combos and resets, so it's hard to impossible to ignore, and there being an ever present worry over rolling the dice every time feels terrible. I'm not sure how it might be fixed if the concern is making bypass/val stronger, but I'd love to see something addressed to it during this beta cycle.

Bless you for compiling and putting up this thread Tyrone (and everyone else who contributed too), it certainly makes it a lot easier whenever this topic comes up to pull examples of how silly this move can be

Reactions: BellaFeng4Eternity
Idk if this one was in your compilation, but anyway. What a way to lose happy birthday when doing bnb.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: BellaFeng4Eternity
Can we expect it to be fixed?
It has been over 2 years since the patch that tried to fix bypass that was reverted and over a year since this thread was made.
I dropped Val this year expecting to get back to her when this was dealt with but it is already September and no signs of it being considered, I just wanna play Val and get some red boxes.

Last edited: