• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

scrubbyscum999's trials and tribulations

This my whine and bitch video before I make my hype thread. So be prepared for whining if you are going to watch this. You have been warned.

So through an EXTREMELY lucky turn of events I will be back home tomorrow which means I get my fightstick back. Which means I get to play SG again. I will continue my SG Hype 240p series cause I want to finish what I started. That and I like making people cringe.

So today I started playing SG again. I was able to remember my combos but I feel I didn't play all that well. It's ok though, no reason to whine and bitch like DSP. Tomorrow will probably be training day. I'll work on my double s.lp->s.mp->s.hk->cerecopter and I will try to extend my PW combo to another chain after light buer. I know I'll probably cancel into j.lp->c.lk->c.mk->light or medium buer. If medium buer in the corner I might be able to hard buer after the jump and then repeat another medium buer in the air before doing something like j.mk or j.hk. If light buer i could go into j.lk or j.lp and start c.lp->c.lk->c.mk->s.hp. I don't know if any of this will work, at this point I am doing various experiments with PW tomorrow while practicing Bella. Bella I feel is pretty straight forward, I could probably do a c.mp->c.hp->j.mp->j.hp in the loop somewhere.

So I figured out that you can do a chain with PW I think I can implement in my combo right now. There is also some stuff I am going to practice with Bella, one of which I am stealing from dekillsage. I practiced for an hour and then played a lot of games with two people. This is a list of what I will be practicing.

Painwheel

air cancel -> j.lp -> c.lk -> c.mk -> light buer

Cerebella

after launcer -> j.hp (x2) -> convert to next chain

s.lp(x2) -s.mp - s.hk - cerecopter - Level 1

It's obvious I need to up my combo game at this point or I will stay a scrub forever. :(

I only practiced combos that I stated in the last post for 30 minutes today. Why? Cause Senran Kagura and Pokemon are damn good games that's why.

Today was get my ass beat day. I decided after around 25 minutes of training it would be best to learn from people who are infinitely better than me. I feel pretty good and felt like I learned something. Had my first Happy Birthday today.

You don't? Shiiiiiii...

Good: I am stealing Krackatoa's combo and I got my new ball top replacement for my stick which I put on. i practiced 30 minutes today in training.

Bad: I didn't practice yesterday cause I needed sleep and had to be somewhere, which annoyed e because earlier I was playing Senran Kagura Burst which could of been SG time. Today I actually got frustrated, something that doesn't happen a whole lot with me and SG. I was facing someone much better than me than usual but what made me frustrated was I felt I didn't improve at all today. By the end of the set I pretty much knew the options of what he was going to possibly do, whether it was a air grab or crossover I knew what set of things he could do. Sadly, I felt powerless as I was either unable to respond or predict when the time actually came. I wasn't expecting to win, but even something like being able to find a way to get in was to no avail. It frustrated me after all that time I was too stupid to still figure what to do against my opponent's strategies.

Played a lot yesterday. It was another get my ass beat sort of day but I feel good cause I clocked in major time. 224 minutes for Saturday, bumping my hours up to 80 hours. It's only a matter of time till I get good. If I keep on practicing and and spending a lot of time on this I have to eventually start seeing results!

So today was more online play. I didn't really go to training mode but its obvious its time to move on to the next step of my Painwheel combo and the Bella work is going pretty good. I'm am a shitty player, but at least I am a shitty player that is improving.

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
No SG today. Not because of Senran Kagura or Pokemon X/Y but due to having my wisdom teeth removed. Simply too tired to do anything and basically feel like garbage. I passed out due to low blood sugar. I'll try to get back as soon as possible.

So I still feel like garbage but I am now able to do the Skullgirls. In training mode I was looking at a few PW chains I could add into a combo.

s.mp -> j.mp -> j.hp -> air light buer (this is a way to get someone back down to the ground)

s.mp -> j.mp -> j.hp -> j.hk -> something (the s.mp launcher doesn't go as high so I can slight delay to bring back down my opponent faster)

c.mp -> s.hk (a way to get to a more powerful launcher while using the rest of the firt chain above to bring my opponent back down)

c.hp -> hard Buer (easier than the s.mp into air buer)

For bella the short chain I want to end with is keeping me busy. Trying to see if I can put another launcher in my combo without the weird "can't combo" white hitboxes coming up. will update a little later

Playing a few online matches. Really depressed because an online friend said that SG was his first FG and when he was at the point I am, 80+ hours in, he got 3rd place in Skullbats. In all honesty, if not some champion I would like to be an expert player. Stuff like that though depresses me.

More online stuff. Tomorrow I am going to probably spend my time in training for the most part. Going to see if I could put Filia on my team. Oh boy, here I go...

Last edited:
Yesterday training mode, today training mode. Practicing Bella while I try to find a fuller combo for PW that uses those air cancel loops.

Yesterday training mode, today training mode. Practicing Bella while I try to find a fuller combo for PW that uses those air cancel loops.

Afterwards I played in a random intermediate lobby. I was annoyed cause I lost to this guy twice cause the first time he just kept tagging (which of course I didn't know how to avoid cause I'm garbage), the second time my sister was yelling bullshit and was distracting me near the end (he had a Double, so it's already a character I have little experience against). Plus, I never play against Double but so of course my inexperienced scrubby ass doesn't really know what to do. Hopefully I can learn something from this, cause the player only had 24 on record. It's like, I'm really that bad? Well, I won't be this bad forever. Tomorrow I'm going to keep going to training mode and keep getting experience till I am good. Hopefully I can play him again so I can learn something.

Learning a lot of cool stuff with PW from other more experienced players. I have plenty of things to practice now and it will probably be a while before I can perform them. Did a few online matches but still spending most of my time in training mode right now.

Afterwards I played in a random intermediate lobby. I was annoyed cause I lost to this guy twice cause the first time he just kept tagging (which of course I didn't know how to avoid cause I'm garbage), the second time my sister was yelling bullshit and was distracting me near the end (he had a Double, so it's already a character I have little experience against). Plus, I never play against Double but so of course my inexperienced scrubby ass doesn't really know what to do. Hopefully I can learn something from this, cause the player only had 24 on record. It's like, I'm really that bad? Well, I won't be this bad forever. Tomorrow I'm going to keep going to training mode and keep getting experience till I am good. Hopefully I can play him again so I can learn something.

No need to wait to fight him again to learn how to deal with raw tags. Hop in training mode, record the dummy doing raw tags and then keep playing the recording until you figure out how to deal with them. Each tag is different so you'll probably have to go across the entire cast to get an idea on how to deal with each of them.

Reactions: scrubbyscum999
Yesterday, I had a tummy ache and today I just played around in lobbies. I am starting to wonder if I am getting better. I hope to keep practicing the stuff that will hopefully extend my PW combos. I know how to extend my Bella combo for the most part into something that goes a little longer. Mainly this air cancel into both j.lp and j.lk and this launcher chain that can come to the ground. I'll see if maybe I can actually have a combo that maybe has branches, that might work too.

So I practiced PW a little more today on the little parts that are going to extend my combo and I am really getting somewhere. I think I can get something that will really work. It wasn't a lot of practice but it worked. I trained with a really good sparring partner today, which gave me a lot of motivation. He seems to have gotten better.

Well, today I didn't go to training but this guy was showing me some cool stuff in online training. He said I shouldn't focus on combos and should instead focus on counter hits. I guess I'll have to remember that. I still want to see if I can learn some more stuff for my combos, but I'll try to keep that in mind. I didn't really feel like playing all that much, but as soon as I got into the groove my mom told me to shut the game off. Gotta love that.

Well, today I didn't go to training but this guy was showing me some cool stuff in online training. He said I shouldn't focus on combos and should instead focus on counter hits. I guess I'll have to remember that. I still want to see if I can learn some more stuff for my combos, but I'll try to keep that in mind. I didn't really feel like playing all that much, but as soon as I got into the groove my mom told me to shut the game off. Gotta love that.
Not quite sure what "focus on counterhits" is meant to mean, because you will usually only be getting them deliberately on punishes. But yeah you shouldn't be spending all your effort on combos. They do take time in training to learn though, just don't have them in the front of your mind while playing, they are a consequence of play, not the play itself.

Don't stop practicing your muscle memory in training, if that is what you were being told. Not even sure what you were being taught, was it hit confirms or something? If that's what it was, yeah you should be learning that too haha.

Today I was able to put in some practice, trying to figure out a way to put my new chain in my Bella combo somehow. I am training to beat Volacoid 00's ass, so I have to be really determined. On online matches I faced pretty much all Japanese players today, which would mean it's maybe noon or something over there, I think? I was in beginner but most of the guys, even the one who arguably had a better Painwheel than me other than neutral game cause he had much better combos didn't want to mess with me much. One guy who played Filia and Parasoul was playing and he was tough because of Napalm Pillar and good combos. I sent GG messages to the people who accepted my friend invites, but since they are Japanese I doubt they could read it. What's funny is...

Little lag on the Japanese matches, which means that I could play have way across the world and have better matches than some people in my own country. Now let's be for real, that's pretty damn funny.

Oh, forgot to write something today. I had some random online matches and that was my training. I learned how I may be able to adapt what I saw dekillsage do into a full combo now I'll try out tomorrow. PW combos, beginner or not, are obnoxiously hard to learn. I think I have something weird I figured out that does a decent amount of damage but I am still in trying to get the strings right. Still trying to see how you can bring the opponent ALL the way down to the ground with PW when they are launched. Vocaloid still needs to prove if he is a real person and not a rage quitter who likes DSP.

So today I was reminded that teching Parasoul is hard and that I simply on a lower plane in terms of how I think about certain things. Practicing my Bella and Painwheel experiements was frustrating because for both I couldn't figure out how I could perform the example strings. I was pressing the same buttons yet but due to some sort of timing I don't see they couldn't connect at crucial parts. Sort of a more sobering day in my SG training.

Today was frustrating. Someone rage quitted on me and in general I just felt I should be better than I am. I know combos aren't everything but I felt I am at the level where I really need to extend my combos a little more. I'm working on it but there is other things too. I can't tech for anything, I am horrible at combating assists, and I still need to improve mix up blocking. Ugh, thus is a day of a scrub.

In order to do a longer combo I must perfect my ability to execute the combos I already have.

That's basically what I did productive today other than actually getting legit mad at a match cause I lost to an almost keepaway Valentine and Peacock. I wasn't trying as hard cause the other people in the lobby weren't as good as me (trust me, I still suck so I'm not being cocky) but this guy made me have to really try. I won the next two matches against him but it showed me that I should never let my guard down. Always try my best because I can't become an expert player if I'm lazy. I am trying to get near perfect on my Painwheel combo and then as I go into my extension I will actually be able to practice it in its full form. Bella is kinda the same thing, though I am still separating the new extension on that one more than Painwheel.

Today was basically heavy online play. Someone who is an expert player (at least to me) says I'm getting better. I feel I am nowhere even to intermediate yet, but at least Im getting better and got a lot of practice today. That is always good.

I spent most of the day challenging people who are much better than me again. I didn't go to training mode so tomorrow I am going to go practice my Painwheel stuff. I have learned that DHC is godlike. I am able to get like almost half of someone's life sometimes just using my shitty Bella combo and DHCing into Painwheel. Plus, it only costs two meters. Believe it or not I haven't even tried to DHC in battle until yesterday.

So today was mainly spent fighting people and some time in training mode. Most of what I was trying to today was consistency. In spent most of my time in training trying to get consistent with doing things like not messing up koncho and the Painwheel combo I got. I spent most of my time playing people who were above my level and I actually am quite surprised. It's working, small progress but I'm getting better. For example, I am learning to tech hits. I am getting better at blocking mix ups and learning if I occasionally go from low blocking to high blocking the opponent can hit low and it will still register the block. Some of my more regular opponents who beat me all the time are starting to use more unpredictable tactics with. Either A) They have to or B) They think I am ready for it. Either one is good news however. Plus, my challenge to Vocaloid is a success! Well, since nobody reads this thing I'll go out and say that I was doing all that challenging under the assumption that Vocaloid is probably better than me. So this is going to be good week of seeing what it is like to prepare for a match and play under pressure (the real reason I decided to go ahead and do this, that and the lulz). If I ever want to be a better player, I need to learn to play under pressure, which honestly I haven't done yet. So I'll practice a little maybe before I go to bed. Tomorrow, I'll focus more on the new links I'm trying to do in my combos. I also got that tournament tomorrow now that I think about it, I might meet someone who could be a good sparring partner by chance.

So today was a training day. I practiced a little of everything today. I actually am improving in the combos I've been working on. Teching is also getting there since I am using Valentine who seems to have a really fast grab. I faced Vocaloid yesterday, who I absolutely pwned. No I'm just kidding, that guy completely wrecked me lol. Of course though the match is still on, so I will at least set the goal of landing a few hits on him. I didn't play online a lot today which maybe had to do with the weather being dreary and me just rather practice I don't know. I also participated in that keninblack tournament today, which was basically to see if I could find some people who I might be able to become sparring partners with. Tomorrow, I will take a bit of a break from SG. I have been playing quite a lot this week and I don't want to burn out. I may spend at most 30-45 minutes in training so I don't get too bummed out. I need to remember that one can't build Rome in a day.

On a light hearted note I really need to find a name for my SG alter ego. In the SG community I am a lot more eccentric. Not like my normal nickname but something more intentionally silly, as a joke. Maybe I should swagatron, scrub fighting to the top. Well, maybe not that name but I'll think if something. Expect a short post tomorrow.

Ugh, so basically I don't have my arcade stick again. I won't be able to practice Skullgirls for another two months. Just when I was starting to improve too. I know it's my parents, but their reasons for this make no sense. I will be staying with the community and keeping up with what everyone is doing cause I feel I met some cool people. But I won't be able to play Skullgirls till March. This sucks, cause how am I supposed to improve if I never have a chance to practice.

Ugh, so basically I don't have my arcade stick again. I won't be able to practice Skullgirls for another two months. Just when I was starting to improve too. I know it's my parents, but their reasons for this make no sense. I will be staying with the community and keeping up with what everyone is doing cause I feel I met some cool people. But I won't be able to play Skullgirls till March. This sucks, cause how am I supposed to improve if I never have a chance to practice.
Maybe a break will help, it's always possible with mentally related activities.

Maybe a break will help, it's always possible with mentally related activities.
Yeah sometimes after taking a break of a week or two I find I play better. At least I think I am playing better.

Yeah sometimes after taking a break of a week or two I find I play better. At least I think I am playing better.

Yeah, maybe a 2 month break won't be as bad as I think. I know there is some console players around here that haven't been able to get an update of the game forever. I just have to stay positive.

Like Duckator said, playing on a keyboard over the two months honestly wouldn't be that bad. Some muscle memory might get in the way but you could still practice and learn the game.

You could always learn to play on a keyboard or pad or try to find another stick for cheap.
Like Duckator said, playing on a keyboard over the two months honestly wouldn't be that bad. Some muscle memory might get in the way but you could still practice and learn the game.

Even though I don't like my keyboard on my laptop that much (it's "pushy" instead of "clicky", if that makes any sense) I'll take some time to consider it. I am horrible with inputting turns and stuff outside of stick. I guess I am also scared about what Stormblessed said, muscle memory. Granted, the stick felt pretty natural to me so I never felt like it was something I had to be taught to use. I also have very short combos. Even then, I just don't want to get back and be all messed up. I was never able to learn with a pad and I am sort of stuck with the stick I have since by some luck I am able to at least own it. I am simply saying what's going through my mind right now, not trying to say I know more than other better people or anything.

I have to start a new semester this week so I probably won't be doing a lot of fun stuff anyway for a while. I'll try and think about it once I get settled with the new classes.