• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

SF4-style unblockable?

Well, okay. Filia/Fukua are the only one with the problem, but this is a thing that's covered by the fact that we have to fix a lot of stuff on Filia related to air frames anyway. NEATO.
If it only works on Filia/Fukua, then just leave it in.

That's my bad, I wrote the wrong thing and didn't catch myself. SF4 does have frame skip issues, but it doesn't have anything to do with unblockables in that game since it doesn't eat inputs as far as I know. Maybe I was thinking of another game or something, I dunno. Anyways it's my fault for not thinking or proofreading myself well enough.
It was Super Street Fighter II Turbo that everyone knew for eating inputs. It accomplished its 'Turbo' moniker by using a destructive frame skip that completely ignored buttons, so there was always a chance that the frame skip would eat your first frame reversal SRK.

It was Super Street Fighter II Turbo that everyone knew for eating inputs. It accomplished its 'Turbo' moniker by using a destructive frame skip that completely ignored buttons, so there was always a chance that the frame skip would eat your first frame reversal SRK.
Every frameskip besides SG eats inputs, btw. Especially old Capcom games.

SG is unique in this regard? How does it accomplish this?

SG is unique in this regard? How does it accomplish this?
Even when there's a visual frame skip, the game engine is still rendering every frame. Mike Z mentioned this when he proposed that slight game speed increase in SDE.

Even when there's a visual frame skip, the game engine is still rendering every frame. Mike Z mentioned this when he proposed that slight game speed increase in SDE.
Er, no. It's not rendering, that's the point.
It just still polls the joystick even if it isn't going to render the frame.

Old games = poll input, advance the game 1 frame, render. If it is on a frameskip frame then = poll input, advance the game 1 frame, advance the game 1 frame, render.
So if you were holding Back you'd be holding Back for 2f, and if you weren't then there was no chance for you to be holding it on only the 2nd of those 'frames'.
SG frameskipped frame = [poll input, advance the game 1 frame]x2, render.

And for completion, games that use delta time instead of 'frames' like FPS's (and I've heard some newer fighters, but don't quote me on that) work by doing "how much time has elapsed since the last game loop update?"
So in normal circumstances
Poll input, advance game world 1/60th of a sec, render.
or if you have a fast computer with no vsync
Poll input, advance game world 1/120th of a sec, render.
etc.
But when there is lag, it does the same thing. Let's say you have a frame that takes half a second to render, you get
Poll input, advance game world 1/2 a sec, render.
Which means in that entire 1/2 sec, you got to provide input exactly once. The game kept up with the lag, but it feelsbadman.

Thank the Trinity.
Hey, at least we got a Mike_Z Detailed Full Length Correction out of my brain fart.

Hey, at least we got a Mike_Z Detailed Full Length Correction out of my brain fart.
I've written that out multiple times before.