• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

SG Game Mode Ideas

Kannon Fodder

The gears turn, but slowly.
Reaction score
Filia Cerebella
I, like most people, was very impressed by the “Typing of the Skullgirls” mode added into our beloved little fighting game. I did get me thinking though about other possible game modes that could mix things up a bit.

True random character select

This mode would work similar to arcade mode, but could also be done as local verses. It’s like when you select a random character on the character select screen, but it would randomize everything including team size, assists, even pallet colors. In between matches your team would be shuffled again, so you’d constantly have a new line up. This would encourage people to try new team combinations, and also test their adaptability. Tying in with the whole movie theme maybe this could be called Improv mode.

Skullgirls HORSE

A local verses mode. It would start out like any other match, except at the end the winner of the round would select a button. At the start of the next fight the selected button on the opponent’s controller would be disabled. It would still work for tag ins, assists, and snap backs, but any attack tied to that button wouldn’t work. This would repeat for the winner of the next match. The first one to win six times and disable all their opponents buttons wins. Alternatively, perhaps have the loser of the round disable a button from the winner’s controller. That way at the very end you have to try and win while only having one button.

Center Stage

Once again, a verses mode. It would kind of be like king of the hill, but for a fighting game. You can select your characters and attack like normal, but attacks don’t deal any damage. The only way to take your opponent out is through a spot light that appears randomly on the stage. Whoever’s in the spot light the opposing player will slowly loss health. After a short amount of time the spot light will move somewhere else on the stage. Last one standing wins.

Build-a-Double

This one might be a bit more labor intensive than the others to program, but here it goes. In this mode, you’d essentially get to re-design all of Doubles basic attacks. For each attack you’d be able to select that particular attack from any other character in the roster. For example, you could change LP to any one characters LP. This might be a little unnecessary considering that Double practically already uses every characters best moves, but it might be fun to customize your own character. Obviously this would have to be separate from other modes, but it would be cool if it eventually found its way online. Then you could build your own Double and battle other peoples custom Doubles to see who built the better Double.

These are just a couple ideas that popped into my head. Let me know what you think. If anyone else has any creative ideas post them up. I’d love to hear them. Please though, only post ideas that you’re willing to let Lab Zero use in game. I know it’s a long shot, but just in case (don’t want another Juju fiasco).

I also got an idea:
Jackpot: It's like Arcade, but with coin collecting. It will be basically the exact some thing like MoM mode in Guilty Gear XXAC.
Alternatively, it could be like Arcade, but you have to collect enough coins in order to win the match, or else, you just get stuck with a new round of the match, until either you or the opponent collected the needed amount of coins.

I, like most people, was very impressed by the “Typing of the Skullgirls” mode added into our beloved little fighting game. I did get me thinking though about other possible game modes that could mix things up a bit.

True random character select

This mode would work similar to arcade mode, but could also be done as local verses. It’s like when you select a random character on the character select screen, but it would randomize everything including team size, assists, even pallet colors. In between matches your team would be shuffled again, so you’d constantly have a new line up. This would encourage people to try new team combinations, and also test their adaptability. Tying in with the whole movie theme maybe this could be called Improv mode.

Skullgirls HORSE

A local verses mode. It would start out like any other match, except at the end the winner of the round would select a button. At the start of the next fight the selected button on the opponent’s controller would be disabled. It would still work for tag ins, assists, and snap backs, but any attack tied to that button wouldn’t work. This would repeat for the winner of the next match. The first one to win six times and disable all their opponents buttons wins. Alternatively, perhaps have the loser of the round disable a button from the winner’s controller. That way at the very end you have to try and win while only having one button.

Center Stage

Once again, a verses mode. It would kind of be like king of the hill, but for a fighting game. You can select your characters and attack like normal, but attacks don’t deal any damage. The only way to take your opponent out is through a spot light that appears randomly on the stage. Whoever’s in the spot light the opposing player will slowly loss health. After a short amount of time the spot light will move somewhere else on the stage. Last one standing wins.

Build-a-Double

This one might be a bit more labor intensive than the others to program, but here it goes. In this mode, you’d essentially get to re-design all of Doubles basic attacks. For each attack you’d be able to select that particular attack from any other character in the roster. For example, you could change LP to any one characters LP. This might be a little unnecessary considering that Double practically already uses every characters best moves, but it might be fun to customize your own character. Obviously this would have to be separate from other modes, but it would be cool if it eventually found its way online. Then you could build your own Double and battle other peoples custom Doubles to see who built the better Double.

These are just a couple ideas that popped into my head. Let me know what you think. If anyone else has any creative ideas post them up. I’d love to hear them. Please though, only post ideas that you’re willing to let Lab Zero use in game. I know it’s a long shot, but just in case (don’t want another Juju fiasco).
Everything except Build-A-Double could work.

The main problem with Build-a-Double is the massive amount of extra frames they'd have to draw for Double, along with the animations for all of the possible attacks.

RetroStation said:
The main problem with Build-a-Double is the massive amount of extra frames they'd have to draw for Double, along with the animations for all of the possible attacks.
But doesn't double just transform into other characters for her attacks. They can just use pre-existing animations from other characters attacks, you'd just select which ones.

Don't get me wrong, I agree it's probably not the most feasible idea, but it's fun to dream.

P.S. Sorry for the word wall of a first post. Haven't figured out those spoiler thingies.

But there's still the in-between frames where Double transforms before attacking.

Remember the top-down shooter in Double's trailer? We should get that!
I completely forgot about that. For a long time before the game came out I thought the shooter is an actual minigame in Skullgirls, either mid-super or in extras.

I'd sure love to have that. Wouldn't it cross the line between reference and stealing Gradious' IP, though?

But there's still the in-between frames where Double transforms before attacking.
Actually, those would stay exactly the same. The only problem I see with Build-a-Double is allowing the player to make a character, I'm not sure how that'd work.

And when's Battle Toad point counter and leaderboards? I want everyone I meet online to know exactly how many points I've garnered.

I'd sure love to have that. Wouldn't it cross the line between reference and stealing Gradious' IP, though?

You could certainly get away with referencing it if it was vague enough. There are certainly a lot of shooters that ripped off Gradius anyway lol.

I would like to see a challenge tower mode, but only a Skullgirls version of it. For people who are unfamiliar with what a challenge tower is http://mortalkombat.wikia.com/wiki/Challenge_Tower.

P.S. Also a Bella Ball Battle Royale sounds pretty fun.

Last edited:
Bella Ball needs to be an official thing already.

I fired up Guilty Gear XX on my PS2 this morning and I completely forgot about it's awesome, yet highly frustrating Mission Mode. I remembered having a ton of fun trying to complete them. Would be interesting to see a SG take on this.

i think an abyss mode like the one in BB would be a good mode to have

How people haven't mentioned Fugazi, Bella-Ball/Pong or Grab-only solobellas matches is beyond me.
Those are glorious and probably just assumed to already be concrete.

Remember that space shooter that was in the old skullgirls trailers?

I want that.

Most of this game mode ideas would require real life friends (since implementing this gamemodes online could be extrememly difficult), or a serious improovement on the arcade mode's A.I, I actually would rather have a competent even unfair A.I for nightmare mode.. where they get you into a combo and don't drop it like a fool! ...Just saying, I gues this thread isn't for this topic but still..

Reactions: Inkheart Artist
Ive had an idea for a new game mode for awhile now, havent posted it cause i think it could split the community... But... Well fuck it. It sounds like fun on paper and i myself would have a lot of fun with it:

Striker mode.

2v2 or 3v3 mirrors where you pick a point character, and then 2 assists, but you can only use your other characters as assists.

Assists can still be locked out (or not)

Hit assists either take a bazillion non recoverable damage and eventually die and cant be called anymore, or any damage they take gets transferred to the point character (though the point character cant die from his assists taking damage...like fortunes head)
Rounds would be handled like solo v solo.

This could be a mode to bridge the gap between solo players and team players, be an extra bit of fun and allow solo players to use assists without the downside of having to learn new characters besides their point character.

Nothing that allows an assist to be controlled by the player is allowed, so no alpha counters, no dhcs, no tags etc etc etc.

Also... An @Mike_Z might be a better way of going about asking for the things in this thread as hes the only one that could implement them and knows how hard/non hard/impossible they would be to implement.

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
Multitap tag battles where each player controls one character and has to perform their assists and DHCs for whoever's on point.

Can you imagine:

- West Coast -
Severin: Parasoul
Negus: PW/Double
Domo: PW/Double

vs.

- East Coast -
Keninblack: Parasoul
Dekillsage: Bella
Winnie: Double

Last edited:
Reactions: Error Macro
how about infinit mode were you keep fighting tell you lose

Reactions: Arcana
I'd really like to see a challenge mode, but that'd probably be a lot of space. also, gradius isn't a top-down shooter, it's viewed from the side. Top-down would be like hotline miami, and some other games that I don't know

oh so hey, i notice ceretoss has only been mentioned twice already on this page so figured it was about time it was mentioned again.

so yea, ceretoss (solobella, throws only + mobility options) is fucking awesome. i need to get someone to record some matches with me to upload because i think people need some convincing that its a legit sport.

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
RPG Mode: Play a fight with menus as if Skullgirls was an old-school turn based RPG! Each teammate gets a seperate turn to pick a character to fight, and gives a better time of managing 2 and 3 and teams. As an added bonus, it will also help you learn to do smaller combos as effective as some longer ones for regular fighting.

The menu is as follows:

Attack: Choose a character to perform a combo under a super-reduced timer, but the period ends after either you drop the combo or the opponent uses an IPS break, and you can't use Blockbusters. Also, each team member getting separate turns means no tagging or Outtakes mid-attack phase. Instead, tagging characters simply changes the menu over to the one for that character, provided their turn hasn't yet been used. You can still use assists, however.

Blockbuster: In exchange for not being able to place into combos and for no DHCs, you instead choose a single powered-up, unblockable super to perform on the chosen victim. The amount of Drama required for each super remains the same as normal.

Defend: Instead of attacking, if said character is attacked, they will perfectly block every attack. However, each hit will instead do chip damage, including normal attacks. In the event someone uses throws or grab supers, there will instead be a reduction of the damage output to compensate.

Items: Instead of attacking, use an item (you select a limited amount at character select) to give a one-time buff towards a teammate's turn or for that character's next turn. Items would include Potions and Ethers for replenishing your Health and Drama gauges, defensive items such as triggering the IPS earlier, or things like giving a free assist during combos, added damage, multiple staggers and other weird effects.

Thought of some more...

Anything Goes

Local multiplayer. Regular character select except you aren't limited to picking a character one time. Want two Pain Wheels, three Valentine ménage à trois, a pair of Doubles, or three Cerebellas (You know, cause one isn't OP enough)? Why the hell not.

Battle Boxes

Remember back in the day when you'd tag someone in and the game could only render them as hit boxes for a couple seconds? How about a mode where all characters only appear as their hit boxes (and unfortunately removing their beautiful animations). This would challenge peoples reactions because they would have to respond to an attack without knowing it from its animation. Also, kinda pays homage to Smash Bros. fighting polygon team (sort of).

I know some of my ideas are kind of basic, but I like thinking up stuff that might be possible with only a few simple programing changes. At least, I think they might be simple (not a programmer myself, what do I know).

Most of this game mode ideas would require real life friends (since implementing this gamemodes online could be extrememly difficult), or a serious improovement on the arcade mode's A.I, I actually would rather have a competent even unfair A.I for nightmare mode.. where they get you into a combo and don't drop it like a fool! ...Just saying, I gues this thread isn't for this topic but still..
^ It would definitely be nice to have a difficulty setting that had the AI doing combos that you would encounter in advanced play.

Along those lines: what about a survival mode? having a set life bar and fighting matches against the AI until you die and maybe getting a diminishing boost in health after every match as it progresses? My favorite way to practice with combos and generally honing my skills on a character is with playing against the AI in actual matches in fighting games. Normally, I can get my practice through the arcade mode in a game but Marie is so damned disruptive because she doesn't follow the rules that all other characters follow, fighting her doesn't help you get better at anything but playing against Marie.

That's why survival is so great: in GGX2, final boss Ino was pretty disruptive with that orb dodge game she did but, in survival you could go through progressively difficult matches with those mini bosses that were vulnerable to only certain types of moves to help you learn and practice specific tactics in an unbroken line of gameplay that only ended when you failed. It felt great to do because you couldn't get stuck on one match and retry until you started to hate the game but the better you got, the further you were able to go. It made a nice benchmark to show you how good you were getting at the game and I think that would be an awesome feature in Skullgirls.

Reactions: Kannon Fodder
I wish the Beat 'em up mode Mike once showed us would be made into a full minigame. You would play Marie and fight Peacock's minions, no additional animation needed.

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
I wish the Beat 'em up mode Mike once showed us would be made into a full minigame. You would play Marie and fight Peacock's minions, no additional animation needed.
Oh that reminds me...

Marie arcade mode

Allows you to play through arcade mode as Marie's final boss mode. It might be a nice way to tide us over until Marie is released as an offical character (someday...). If they want to get really crafty, maybe make a story mode for her. I have no idea how her mechanics and controls would work without being OP, but the folks at Labzero are pretty smart. They could figure it out.

Oh that reminds me...

Marie arcade mode

Allows you to play through arcade mode as Marie's final boss mode. It might be a nice way to tide us over until Marie is released as an offical character (someday...). If they want to get really crafty, maybe make a story mode for her. I have no idea how her mechanics and controls would work without being OP, but the folks at Labzero are pretty smart. They could figure it out.
It could be like the Galactus mode from UMvC3 i like that

Marie is completely unstoppable in human hands. She'd be fun for maybe 2 minutes before you realize it's basically "press button, repeat, perfect".

Marie is completely unstoppable in human hands. She'd be fun for maybe 2 minutes before you realize it's basically "press button, repeat, perfect".
The summon giant bone spear button, right?

Reactions: Muro
I wouldn't mind seeing a King of Fighters-styled mode called Queen of Fighters where you pick a team of 3 and fight one on one in order. Maybe include hops and hyper hops?

Reactions: SanoBaron
i want a survival mode, where you don't fight marie(unless in human form)

I got it! Her more powerful attacks use meter. She would slowly build meter automatically, and the rate at which it builds increases as she changes forms.

Rhythm Fighter

You know how in training mode you can put on input display that has a list of your last inputs scrolling across the bottom of the screen? What if you had various comands scrolling the oposite way and you had to input them at a certain point ('a la guitar hero or rock band). If you hit every comand in time you complete a combo. It'd be a pretty good training tools for people who suck at fighting game timing (*cough*me*cough*).

Reactions: lolster2nite
I got it! Her more powerful attacks use meter. She would slowly build meter automatically, and the rate at which it builds increases as she changes forms.

Rhythm Fighter

You know how in training mode you can put on input display that has a list of your last inputs scrolling across the bottom of the screen? What if you had various comands scrolling the oposite way and you had to input them at a certain point ('a la guitar hero or rock band). If you hit every comand in time you complete a combo. It'd be a pretty good training tools for people who suck at fighting game timing (*cough*me*cough*).
Great Idea, and the stage music should be remixed to keep that funky combo going!

Cerabella tennis. Tha is all.

And then a line judge pops up like in Primal Rage when you keep the juggle going.

It'd be pretty neat to have a mini game similar to the "Test Your Might" challenge, or perhaps the Car Mini Game from Final Fight.

Defend the Parasol? :^P

It's like a tower defense mini-game where you launch e-grets to defeat your opponents without allowing one touch on Parasol... or Marie.

Reactions: Shadoninja