• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Shantae Series

Hello friends! We’ve reached the halfway point in our campaign, and it looks like we’ll be fully funded soon (fingers crossed)! Nearly 9,000 fans have pledged so far, and many of you have gone above and beyond, upping your pledges daily! But we’ve hit a turning point now. The key ingredient in meeting our Stretch Goals is getting MORE EYEBALLS on the game. 9K fans pledging 350K is a huge feat. Let’s bring more attention to the project, bring more backers, and (as Samwise Gamgee says) “lighten the load”. We’re asking everyone to get involved right now, today! We’re going to make it easy...Just copy and paste the stuff below ANYWHERE & EVERYWHERE!

Here's the shortened project link: http://kck.st/1e7PwHu

aGWI5Mi.png

6N8sJzV.png

Today’s Retweet Project: 1000 SOULS
It’s national “Talk-like-a-pirate-day” in the US of A, and in the spirit of villainous buccaneers we're going to hold a couple of ladies for ransom. If everyone Retweets 1000 TIMES, we will reveal the next Half-Genie Hero Stretch Goal! If not, Shantae walks the plank. The fun starts RIGHT NOW! Follow this link and click "Retweet":

https://twitter.com/WayForward/status/380777743123628032

YNilbTg.png

Crunchyroll Event Tomorrow!
You all have heard of Crunchyroll, right? They stream anime, manga, and other entertainment to the peoples. They’ve also got millions of devoted fans who'd love to know about our project! Crunchyroll would like to show their support for Shantae: Half-Genie Hero starting TOMORROW. Help us spread the following message:

“Crunchyroll has something special in store for Shantae fans! Go to http://www.crunchyroll.com tomorrow (Friday, Sept 20), and help fund Shantae: Half-Genie Hero!"

Tw1Wbij.png

WayForward Directors on Reddit Tomorrow!
Chat with us! The fun starts at 11:00 am PST Friday and winds down around 4:00 pm. WayForward's team of Directors will be standing by to answer your questions in an AMA (ask me anything) open forum. Do not miss this chance to talk with all these industry pros in one place! Those attending:

-Matt Bozon: Director of Shantae, Contra 4 and Mighty series

-Adam Tierney: Director of Silent Hill BOM, Batman: Brave and the Bold, Aliens Infestation

-Austin Ivansmith: Director of Ducktales: Remastered, Mighty Switch Force! HD

-James Montagna: Director of Adventure Time: Hey Ice King

-Tomm Hulett: Director of Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon

-Jeff Luke: Director of Regular Show: 8-bit land

Don't miss this! Go to REDDIT and get your account ready! http://www.reddit.com/

x1ElTM2.png

Giant Robot this Saturday in LA
This Saturday night is our event in LA at Giant Robot! Play Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse before anyone else, mingle with other WayForward fans and staff, and listen to the live tunes of Jake "Virt" Kaufman! Get all the info here:

http://www.giantrobot.com/events/gr2-921-7-10pm-game-night-16-wayforward-shantae-virt/

Got interested because Shantae is absurdly adorable in the trailer. :P

And well... Dust: An Elysian Tail got me in a platformer hype.

We now have...

It-s-over-9000-its-over-9000-29849302-496-370.jpg

...backers.

Reactions: Denizen
I'm afraid that they're making Shantae TOO cute.
What if she loses her sexy belly dancer charm?
shantae.gif
shantae.gif
shantae.gif

Yeah I'm using this again, deal with it.

Reactions: musica
You're kidding, right?
Yeah, but if she doesn't grin and wink at the player with bedroom eyes then they are doing it wrong.

You're right though, I shouldn't be worried.

Last edited:
Yeah, but if she doesn't grin and wink at the player with bedroom eyes then they are doing it wrong.

You're right though, I shouldn't be worried.
I'm sure they wont reveal all the the bellydance poses at once. you gotta wait for dem dances son!

OH MAN IT'S FREE ON iOS!?!?!?

Screw it, I may only have an iPod Touch but I am downloading it NOW.
(I have a Kindle Fire though, I really wish Risky's Revenge had android support.
Oh, the update. Yeah, I can't help it since I was busy getting back with a new commission print I got from my friends house.
Oh I forgot to say something about this.
iNzXfX0s2nVoY.gif

Last edited:
Here's another update
We're 90% funded! Congratulations everyone!
Let's get down and boogie with another update...

Introducing DANCER SHANTAE! If you’ve been wondering how our “Costume Swap” Stretch Goal would work, now’s your chance to find out! Download Shantae: Risky’s Revenge for iOS and take the brand new, fully playable DANCER SHANTAE for a spin! She’s double the magic power, but half the defense… perfect for you hard-core speed runners out there.

ImageProxy.mvc

Start your game, beat the opening sequence, and head to Scuttle Town’s Import Room to pick up your new DANCE COSTUME!

A new costume is just the half of it! For a limited time, Shantae: Risky’s Revenge on iOS is FREE! This means both versions are 100% unlocked at zero cost:

-Shantae: Risky’s Revenge (unlock version) = FREE!

-Shantae: Risky’s Revenge (full version) = FREE!

So grab your iPhone, iPad, iPod, iPad Mini... grab something and download your game right now, fully unlocked without paying a dime! Tell your friends! (note: Shantae: Risky's Revenge no longer requires a wireless connection to download. Grab it now!)

-Shantae: Risky’s Revenge (unlock version) = FREE!

-Shantae: Risky’s Revenge (full version) = FREE!
I'm confused, why 2 versions of it?

So is it possible to play on a pc with that link they have in their website or has to be mac? Because i'd much rather play it on a pc then small iphone.

Shantae on Kickstarter!
SO EXCITING! EVERYBODY DANCE!

dancesWithShantae.gif

We have been all atwitter on our social networks about WayForward’s Kickstarter for Shantae: Half Genie Hero! Our talented friends and colleagues there are pulling out all the stops to make this game happen, and it looks awesome! WayForward are masters of sidescrolling platformers, and this looks like the greatest one yet. With luck, they’re going to make their goal any day now, so now it’s time to really get the word out and hit those stretch goals! Check them out here!

That’s it for now, everyone. Keep on Shovelin’, and think about the boss polls!!!
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yachtclubgames/shovel-knight/posts

Last edited:
Isn't the Shovel Knight team made up of former WayForward staff? I'm surprised there isn't bad blood.

Whoever that redhead half-genie/full-genie is, I like her.

She looks like she wants to give Shantae a hard time

Shantae's still hotter though.

loved the shantae vs shovel knight gif... would make an excellent avatar

Destroy him, he is a defeatist.

And to think he was praising it so much.

Designs by Niklas Jansson (aka Android Arts)
Happy Saturday friends! Today we’ve got a treat for you from Niklas Jansson (aka Android Arts). Niklas is one of our freelance artists, and he’s done some really fun and refreshing enemy concepts. What’s a journey through Sequin Land without a slew of unspeakable horrors lurking in the shadows? He's even got some of his own spins on Shantae and friends. Enjoy!

GD4fPVY.jpg
Here’s a link to more of Niklas Jansson’s amazing artwork: http://androidarts.com/

E-Heroes - Shantae Mini-Retrospective
Following yesterday’s jam-packed “WayForward REDDIT” session, Super-fan Andrew Dickman put together this beautifully succinct video. It summarizes the history of Shantae and ends in a compelling call-to-arms. The video is incredibly entertaining, and is a great way to explain Shantae to a friend. Please share this link everywhere you can!

Crunchyroll!
In case you missed it, Crunchyroll is hosting a Shantae Fan Art Contest! Submit your fan art (we know you made a ton of it already) and win some stuff! That link again is HERE.

Tonight: Giant Robot!
One last reminder for those in the L.A. area – you can play Shantae and meet the WayForward staff tonight! Details at Giant Robot: http://www.giantrobot.com/

And to think he was praising it so much.
I am STILL praising it. but look at the money now, and compare it to most other kickstarters that have one final push. the chances of it making that 800K are as Matt and Pat would say "ITS NOT THAT GREAT" add more grunt to that

I could be wrong though.... but I wont get my hopes up....

Just tossing this out there for people who want to try the series or are on the fence about donating to the IGG campaign WayForward has made Risky's Revenge free on iOS. http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/1mualo/ios_shantae_riskys_revenge_full_free/

Contrary to what the page says you can run this on older devices. I've got it working with no hassel on my 4g ipod touch (4.3.3). For the brief period of time I played it I will say the controls weren't bad for a touchscreen interface.
Hfhf, back to lurking now.

Just tossing this out there for people who want to try the series or are on the fence about donating to the IGG campaign WayForward has made Risky's Revenge free on iOS. http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/1mualo/ios_shantae_riskys_revenge_full_free/

Contrary to what the page says you can run this on older devices. I've got it working with no hassel on my 4g ipod touch (4.3.3). For the brief period of time I played it I will say the controls weren't bad for a touchscreen interface.
Hfhf, back to lurking now.
Working my way through the game now. Quite fun.

Hey guys.

A friend of mine is entering the fan art contest on Crunchyroll and he drew a really good picture of Shantae. Go ahead and show him some support.

His name is flcl-Priny.

Shantae Artwork Contest

Giant Robots and 1337 Lounges, oh my!

Hey Gang! We're getting closer and closer to our goal! Only $14k left to go! We're so close Rottytops can taste it! (I really hope it tastes like coffee and not the other stuff she likes...)

We wanted to give everyone a heads up that some of us will be on 1337 Lounge Live this Tuesday, September 24th, at 6:00pm PST. We’re still fighting over who is lucky enough to be on the show but trust us it’s going to be tons of fun so you should definitely check it out!

1337LoungeLiveBanner-104.jpg

We also want to give a shout out to Giant Robot, Angrybananas, and meatbun for helping us with our Game Night last night! We had a blast and hope everyone that attended did too. For those of you who couldn't make it we shot a lot of footage and will share that with everyone in the next few days :)

image-330806-full.jpg
image-330809-full.jpg

image-330810-full.jpg
image-330812-full.jpg

image-330813-full.jpg
image-330814-full.jpg

image-330816-full.jpg
image-330817-full.jpg

image-330819-full.jpg
image-330820-full.jpg

Last edited:
Those Pirate's Curse screen shots are delicious

If I was there I would play it, play Mighty Switch Force 2, hang out with Matt and his crew, and buy that Mighty Switch Force 2 poster off of them.