• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Shin Megami Tensei and Persona

I thought that was on Friday nights.

EDIT: Oh. Never mind.

Is okay
If you want an example of what can else can happen

Please Main Responsibly

"An awkward silence fills the air..."
"However you have already declined Adachi's offer..."

Last edited:
It's apparently going to be weekly. Another thing to look forward to on Wednesday.

And tomorrow should be another batch of P4U2 trailers. Sweet.

Oh.
I didn't realize that pun either.
Oh dear fucking lord there better be more sex puns where that came from.
Works in even more layers because Naoto wanted to change her sex not too long ago.

Errybody seems to think that her Shadow wants to turn her into a guy. I normally don't think about it.

I see her as just being very self conscious about her gender.

its the main reason why I feel Kanji isn't actually gay, but he is open to either/or.

This isn't one of those "open to interpretation" things.

Her shadow wanted to give her a sex change.

Now, if that was one of her real issues or just a wall to stop herself from seeing the other
"real" issues (lack of security with herself, wanted to be seen as a dependable figure), that's up for debate.

I was wondering when the fabled Naoto gender discussion would finally hit this thread.
There's nothing really to discuss, along with Chie's sexual fetishes and Kanji's sexual orientation.

We'll probably never know the full answer and it wouldn't make sense for a bunch of teenagers to have those problems down pact just because they punched the manifestations of their problems in the face.

oh, wait, I didn't catch what you meant entirely.

yeah, I can see her shadow wanting to give her a sex change. but yeah, she does seem to have some insecurities regarding gender, plus everyone in her family who became detectives were all men, so she is insecure of being the odd one out and therefore hides it, possibly out of shame, possibly as a way of feeling like she fits in, but she does have insecurities that seem to tie to her gender. she eventually is okay with being a girl though.

*sigh*
Naoto's story isn't about gender identity
it's about gender roles, which is a much hotter and relevant social issue in japan (see: Chihiro from Dangan Ronpa, another can of worms that I'm not touching)
Naoto's mannerisms and her shadow trying to give her a sex change weren't about Naoto having any desire to be a boy
but rather that she felt she needed to be a boy in order to do what she loved, which was being a detective.
Private investigation is a male-dominated occupation, so Naoto thought she needed to be male in order to be respected in that occupation. Her realization isn't about wanting to be a girl, but rather understand that she can do what she enjoys while still being a woman, which is what she always thought herself as, but shied away from acknowledging because she didn't want to be percieved as a lesser in her field.

that's what it is.

yes it is.

EDIT:
I just always thought it fell under gender identity.

Last edited:
There's no discussion for Chie.

Her sexual orientation is meat.

There's no discussion for Chie.

Her sexual orientation is meat.
peter-parker-rage-face.jpg

Chie's all about the pink
the pink in the middle of her steak, that is

Pretty sure Naoto had an age inferiority issue as well due to losing detective credibility among peers for simply being a "child" (Guess the haters don't dig the detective Conan vibe) in a grownup dominated occupation which reflects her secret base dungeon manifestation that looked like something spawned off a 10 year old boy fantasy. However Naoto herself admits that eventually that issue will go away in a few years and is really something minor over the real issue which is yes fitting in a male dominated line of work despite being a female.

After watching the stream (much better then the last stream with better gameplay and more varied character picks) noticed some interesting stuff. The battle music list is pretty huge (Nearly every notable P3/P4 track + Arena songs I spotted when they were cycling through the tracks) even without the dlc.

Rise SB dance grab super can do disgusting damage to punish stupid moves (finally someone with decent rhythm game skills lol) if you score around 85-90% (Score mostly "Brilliants" for over 4.6k or roughly 5.9k if 100% which is amazing for a non grappler centric character, but she can do poor damage if you score below 50% + beware of self inflicted rage which is double edged sword) and apparently you can choose which song to play based on button input (Heard Shadow World play in one grab super) that varies in difficulty/damage yield. Apparently the grab can be combo into as well in certain situations too lol. Her regular throw is pretty good it's similar to Yukiko which causes spin knock-back (easy combo in corner or mid screen with meter) + inflicts charm status. Rise DP feels similar like a Naoto style DP. Her Persona is probably gonna be almost as annoying to deal with as Teddie persona with the potential it has since it can really hassle the opponent with random bullshit thrown at you.

Lol Ken DP is so comically punishable on his way down to planet earth. Have a feeling Shadow vs Shadow character matches will feel noticeably longer due to 2k health increase and .8 damage ratio if people don't get their berserk combos down because the shadow vs shadow matches on stream felt so slow without adequate berserk combos taking advantage of a burst-less opponent.

Man, I read all of these comments the wrong way because I read Naoto as Nanako in this:
Works in even more layers because Naoto wanted to change her sex not too long ago.

Speaking of Naoto

and Kanji (0:14 is pretty great)

Oh man I can't wait for Kanji's English trailer

Well, considering she's Jetpink, I would say she's being true to her character.

Don't you mean the Pink Argus?

still bummed that she has green wind and not pink wind
i mean there's like 5 different colors for electricity but wind is just green green green

Welcome to SMT wind. It's ALWAYS green.

This Thread is my nee home. I love Shin Megami Tensei game's. Persona especially.

*sits in corner*

This Thread is my nee home. I love Shin Megami Tensei game's. Persona especially.

*sits in corner*

Welcome sir.

Or ma'am.

Or fuck I dunno where I'm going with this.

Don't even go there.

Oh yeah, almost forgot: Erin Fitzgerald (also known as Chie post-vanilla) is going to be an Atlus special guest at Anime Expo.

At 10:00 "The Genesis" confirmed as a battle theme. Oh yeah

Also 4 way Rise mirrors are just fantastic