• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Shoryuken Interview with Mariel Cartwright

Cellsai

BEEP BOOP BAN
Reaction score
Website
askminette.tumblr.com
Valentine Cerebella
Mariel 'Kinuko' Cartwright, lead animator on Skullgirls, sat down to talk with Shoryuken.com for a short interview recently. The interview covers a broad range of topics including the beginnings of her career as an animator, the current status of Skullgirls and her fighting game ability.

I've included a snippet of the interview below, and you can check out the full article over on Shoryuken.

PM: How far are you in the Skullgirls DLC dev cycle? When is everything else set to come out?

MC: Right now we’re in the middle of Big Band, the second of four full DLC characters funded by our fans. We have two and a half more characters coming up: Eliza, Beowulf, and an edit of Ms. Fortune in the spirit of Guilty Gear’s Robo-Ky. Each character takes about three months to make, though to be honest we’re a little behind on Big Band due to summer conventions, EVO, console patches, etc. No matter how solid your schedule looks, there will always be something to trip you up! So far our fans have been understanding though, and we always have progress to show every week because there’s never a point at which we’re not working.

I think you can expect Big Band in a couple months (testing takes a while!), with Eliza afterward early next year.

[prebreak][/prebreak]

Reactions: Solblade44
Hmm, I didn't know they were behind on Big Band, the footage I've seen seemed to be going at a pretty nice pace.

It's a pretty interesting interveiw, since I didn't really know anything about her beforehand.

Interesting to hear the current progress on Big Band despite being behind schedule. Doesn't matter though, if anything SG community is good at its being patient lol

Great interview overall and glad to have Mariel working on the game.

No hugs allowed though.

How many animators do they have working on a DLC character?

i can see it now....

.....squigs patch released on consoles....

....big band finished 2 weeks later.

I wouldn't have known they were behind on Big Band, makes you wonder, how far they would have been if they didn't have conventions or Evo to go to.

What timezone are we talking for tomorrow's stream on iebattlegrounds? I'm assuming PDT which I'm totally okay with. Can't wait to see some high quality matches at high quality settings.