• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Shovel Knight is out.

Just enter this code on the title screen and then you can unlock plague knight right away (Hold Attack Button) Up, Up, Right, Down, Left, Left (Release Attack Button)

Reactions: mcpeanuts
In the Update they said the campaign is like a prequel where you're recruiting the Knights, so confirmed there won't be any overlap with Shovel's story this time. Virt's also been working on new songs for the game on stream, including remixes of old themes. So yeah, Specter's definitely going to be like an entirely new game, not even just in terms of gameplay.

They've had a long turnaround with these DLCs, but it's definitely been worth it so far. Looking forward to it!

Why do people hate playing as Shovel Knight? I liked him.

Reactions: KaboomKid
Personally I loved playing Shovel Knight. He was Megaducktalesman and I had a thoroughly fun time.
I can understand why people prefer Plague Knight though. There was more to his story and the gameplay was much less traditional.

I anticipate that people who already prefer Plague over Shovel are going to enjoy Specter over Shovel as well, but I'm more curious to see how people feel comparing Plague to Specter.

I anticipate that people who already prefer Plague over Shovel are going to enjoy Specter over Shovel as well, but I'm more curious to see how people feel comparing Plague to Specter.
In terms of raw application, I am anticipating that Specter's mobility tools will feel a lot more like they're on-rails due to his upward, downward, and wall mobility being entirely dictated by waypoints, enemy placement, and scalable walls. Contrast with Plague's mobility which got as absurd as long as you spaced out your double jumps, bomb bursts, and arcana usage optimized through what is more or less an open playground. The difference in mobility will be pretty evident due to Specter having stages catered specifically to his mobility tools compared to Plague literally flying over what was originally for Shovel Knight. I feel that the enjoyment of Specter's content will be down to how well his stages are designed and how much fun his raw combat is.

Either way I'm excited for what they have in store.

He's slow. His default attack has a frustratingly short range. He's slow. You can't end a pogo by releasing down, you have to whiff an attack which you don't always want to do. He's slow. All his relics use the same resource which is finite, so you don't get to relics as often. He's slow. He doesn't walk very fast. He's slow.

i think Peanuts is telling us that Spectre Knight is slow
but i can't tell for sure

i think Peanuts is telling us that Spectre Knight is slow
but i can't tell for sure
He's saying that Shovel Knight is slow, though.

Hey guys, just a reminder that Virt's been streaming his new Shovel Knight work pretty regularly on the Mintpotion Channel, and if you poke around in the archives you can already hear previews for a bunch of the new stuff. He recently did some sick remixes of Tinker and Plague Knight stages for the Specter Knight campaign, and the way he wields FamiTracker is just insane.

Switch-up!

Happy New Year, loam lords! This year we have big plans for Shovel Knight! There’s a lot of news, so let’s dig in! Announcement time!

Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove and Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment will be released for Nintendo Switch!

Wow, Switch! Awesome, Specter of Torment! But wait? What’s Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove?!
We don’t have time to explain quite yet…we have even more announcements!

Body Swap Mode for Shovel Knight will launch simultaneously with Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment!

Body Swap Mode is complete and will be included for Shovel Knight’s campaign!!
Get ready for sprites and illustrations of all-new designs for body-swapped versions of the main characters as the release draws closer.
To get you primed, here’s your first look at body-swapped Shovel Knight and Shield Knight!!

Shovel Knight two player co-op will be available for all consoles!!

Finally!! After many requests! Grab a friend and rejoice!
Local two player co-op in Shovel Knight’s campaign is coming as a free update to all console and PC platforms (3DS/Vita not included).
Amiibo not required!

Introducing Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove

Back to the main story! Soon, the game you now know as Shovel Knight will become Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove. When that happens, you’ll also have new options to purchase each campaign as separate, standalone games on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC/Mac/Linux, and Nintendo Switch:

Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope
Shovel of Hope is our new name for the original Shovel Knight game, since it needed a title like the others.
What do you think!?
Rewatch the adventure here.

Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows
Plague Knight’s Campaign emerges from the Shadows to hopefully get some recognition this time!
Watch it all here.

Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment
Specter of Torment is our most expansive campaign yet.
We’re so excited for you to become the reaper!
See Specter Knight in action here.​

Later in 2017 the following will release (names TBD):

Shovel Knight: King Knight’s Campaign
A crazy campaign with the gilded goob himself!

Shovel Knight: Battle Mode
Duel with up to 4 players as your favorite heroic or villainous knight! (3DS/Vita not included)

Why is this happening? Well, we hope providing less expensive standalone versions will provide better entry points for different types of players!
Also, players can more easily grab an adventure (or Battle Mode) on another platform!

All owners of Shovel Knight on all platforms will automatically own Shovel Knight:Treasure Trove instead and will continue to get each of the planned free campaigns and features via updates. It will work exactly like how Shovel Knight was updated to include its first campaign addition, Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows. Don’t worry!

In the spring, we will be raising the price of Shovel Knight.
If you haven’t picked up Shovel Knight yet and want all the content included within Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, buy it now before the price increases this Spring! Or pick a selection of the standalone versions for a cheaper price!

Don’t forget King Knight’s very own campaign and the 4-player Battle Mode are still on the horizon for 2017.
As described above, they will become available as standalone games on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC/Mac/Linux, and Nintendo Switch and will also be delivered as FREE updates on ALL platforms to Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove. Look forward to more news on these in the future!

Switch-up!

Whew, that’s a lot of news in the new year! Standalones! Specter of Torment on Switch!
Body Swap so soon! Co-op everywhere! Keep your eyes peeled as we’ll be taking a deep dive into all of the upcoming content.

Hope you’re excited for another big year for Shovel Knight! We’re ecstatic to show everyone all the exciting stuff we’ve been working on here!​

Last edited:
I'm assuming co-op will still be local only, just because they didn't say otherwise, and that's the sort of thing they would really want to explicitly say otherwise if that was the case.

Girl Shovel Knight looks almost exactly the same as boy Shovel Knight... this is a really powerful statement about how arbitrary the distinctions between the genders are. Or they were lazy. Could be either one.

Price increase in spring? Guess that motivates me to finally buy this game. If there will be a sale on it before that. :P

Girl Shovel Knight looks almost exactly the same as boy Shovel Knight... this is a really powerful statement about how arbitrary the distinctions between the genders are. Or they were lazy. Could be either one.

Part of it would surely be that they still need to keep the hitboxes so they can't change it TOO much

Part of it would surely be that they still need to keep the hitboxes so they can't change it TOO much
Probably not. One of the only ways girl Shovel Knight is visually different is that she's thinner. A thinner character is naturally going to look like they have smaller hitboxes.

Probably not. One of the only ways girl Shovel Knight is visually different is that she's thinner. A thinner character is naturally going to look like they have smaller hitboxes.
Shovel Knight has a wide enough stance that the gender-swapped body won't look too far off from where the hitbox actually is. Armor being armor will ensure that even having less-broad shoulders can still fill that hitbox space.

I'm really going to like Specter Knight. His maneuverability is fantastic, I look forward to see how speed runners will play this.

So I guess Specter Knight's magic doesn't work exactly the same as Plague Knight's. I assumed it did because it has a similar looking meter, but it looks like it functions closer to Shovel Knight's magic. What's interesting though is that enemies drop magic, so it's kind of like playing the game having the Conjurer's Coat from the beginning. Also enemies drop magic when they're HIT, not when they're defeated, which is especially interesting on the boss fights since you can replenish your magic mid fight.

Also enemies drop magic when they're HIT, not when they're defeated, which is especially interesting on the boss fights since you can replenish your magic mid fight.
Not exactly. There are numerous instances where the player strikes an enemy and doesn't gain any magic: most notably during the boss segments when he's doing the midair scythe "divekicks". From how it appears, magic is to be gained for 3 different reasons: for a standing scythe slash, for reaching a damage threshold on heartier enemies such as bosses, for killing an enemy outright.

I remember they gave Lucia from Contra a big shoulderpad specifically to keep the height and hitboxes the same according to the character designer.

Last edited:
Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment – Nintendo Switch Trailer

Specter Knight is out on the Nintendo Switch and the game is Real Good Y'all. I like the Rail Mail cause you can go fast.

Specter of Torment is out on PC today and consoles too in some regions.

I'm impressed frankly, they made a lot of changes to levels, bosses and even music in this one. It's not like Plague of Shadow where it's just almost the same levels with different character.

They sure are overdelivering on their kickstarter promises.

I just got the update on my PC version.

I'm kinda overwhelmed by all the new stuff.

First few minutes of Specter Knight vs first few minutes of Plague Knight

Played about 3 stages of Specter of Torment tonight.

Honestly they could have reskinned it a bit and called it a straight up sequel if they were feeling cheap. But as an expansion it's pretty staggeringly good.

Specter plays hella fun and chaining upward/downward air dives into wall jumps is extremely addicting. The more hectic boss fights supplementing your greater roster of options are also excellent. This is like the X to Shovel Knights Mega Man.

Reactions: Todpole
Just gave Specter a whirl last night as well. I only had time to play through a couple of levels, but the first thing I did was actually climb that Challenge tower area. I always get focused on minigames like that, but it's a pretty fun excursion that also got me familiar with the controls.

I was surprised how long it took me to adjust to Specter's wall-climb. I had to start getting down the muscle memory/spacing for how long he climbs before automatically jumping off, and being aware of his distance from ledges that forces him to perform the ledge-hop versus the wall-jump. That's also where I had to learn areas where it was best to just hold forward and watch him ledge-hop up multiple ledges, or to let go of holding forward while jumping/falling so he wouldn't wall-climb, and I could get better height off of a fresh jump instead. There's a lot of little contextual things with the environment to keep in mind with this guy.

It's very interesting, because while it seems like Plague might still be considered the hardest to use for a lot of folks, I think I've already had more accidental deaths as Specter while getting used to him. It's very cool how each character forces you to think about basic movement in very different ways that you have to adjust to though. Like where for Shovel and Plague simply walking off a ledge in a particular spot might be a bad idea, for Specter it might be THE best option for getting the angle you want for a safe upward dive or a ledge-hop. Pretty cool.

On another note, I can see that sadly there are already people on the Steam forums complaining about the price changes that were made. They just don't understand how much the content value of the game has gone up at this point. Everyone who bought the game is still getting the updates for free anyway, so I'm not sure how they feel YC is being unfair.

Aaaaah! Does anyone know when it comes out on 3DS? I wanna play this so bad!

All that we know is that 3DS version is out in Japan and for Europe and US it's "April TBD".

So.

What order did you guys beat the stages in?

For me, I went Polar, Mole, Plague, King, Lich Yard, Tinker, Propeller, and Treasure, lastly.

wait

you can do them in any order?

Spectre Knight can do them in absolutely any order.

16 - 1.gif

I beat Spec about a week after it came out, 9/10 one of the best Platformers ever made. Beat Plague Knight a couple days ago (Those initial levels tho) and 7/10 wasn't expecting the feels.

Last edited:
why was that uploaded so late last night

why are all the shovel knight amiibos I try to buy online $20+

Why's he Plague Knight amiibo so much worse than King and Spectre Knights?

Why's the official Shovel Knight artbook gotta come out tomorrow, when I'm trying to save my money?

Why, Nintendo? WHY?!?!?!?!?

Why's he Plague Knight amiibo so much worse than King and Spectre Knights?

my nikka get out