• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Steam - Windows Skullbats Encore! (NA/SA)

Dagwood

Reaction score
Steam
Dagwood
PSN
crond1zzle
Parasoul Cerebella Double
We're making a new thread because the other one is really old and dead.

F.A.Q:

What is Skullbats?

Skullbats is the SG communities' version of ranked battles. Friendly Competitive Environment to Level Up Yo Skullgirls. Going since 2012.
Online tournament league using the swiss system. Everyone gets a chance to play equally under this type of tournament without being eliminated.
As a RanBat (Ranked Battle) statistics will be kept for ranking all entrants. At the end of the season top 8 ranked players will play double elim bracket for funsies and hype.

How do I play in Skullbats?

Join the Steam Group, and enter the group chat channel before it starts.

What time is Skullbats run?

Every sunday, at 8:00 PM EST.
It usually takes about 2 hours to run, ending at 10:00 PM EST.

Am I good enough to enter Skullbats?

Yes! It's intended as a tournament for fun, for all skill levels. hence why we use the Swiss System. It's a great way to get better at the game.

Which Regions are allowed?

Due to lag, this is for North America and South America only.

Is there a stream?

Yes, it will be streamed on https://www.twitch.tv/EightySixed
We are currently looking for more commentators to fill in, So if you want to, please msg me.

Steam Group:
Skullbats PC <-- CLICK THIS THEN JOIN GROUP CHAT ON THE RIGHT BEFORE START TIME AND YOU'RE IN

Challonge (Shows Weekly Results for those interested):
http://sklbatpc.challonge.com/

Current Season Standings:
TBD

Current Season Weekly Start Time:
Sundays 8:00 pm eastern

Brackets will not be finalized till after the tournament starts.

Rules:
-Entrants are expected to be in Skullbats PC steam group chat 5 minutes prior to start time.
-Each match is best 3/5. Top 8 at the end of the season will be 2/3 until finals.
-Winner must keep team/assists. Loser may change.
-No game breaking glitches.
-If someone does not show up for their match in 5 minutes they will be given a warning, and in 5 more minutes they will be disqualified for the round
-Someone from the match must report who won, but the winner is the one that is held responsible for it.
-Any player may choose to forfeit if they decide the connection is unplayable. The other player will simply get the win.
-If both players agree the connection is bad or don't want to play in it, they may report a draw.
-For ease of fast reporting, please use the following format: "[report] Winner Score" ex. "[report] WhiteFury 3-0"
-In the event of a tie preventing a clean top 8 at the end of the season after tiebreaker score we'll play it out to decide. Weeklies often have multiway ties and lack a definiteive winner as is the nature of swiss.
-If your match is chosen to be played on stream, Please play for real. i.e. No playing Bella Ball or Fugazi to joke around in your match.

Results Archive:

1. Duckator
2. mpgame
3. SoupySwan
4. BrandX
5. Uzu
5. Midiman
7. MajiOmni
7. WhiteFury

1st: Duckator
2nd: Elda Taluda
3rd: Uzu
4th: MPGame
5th: BrandX, Red Savarin
7th: WhiteFury, Midiman

1st: Taluda
2nd: Red Savarin
3rd: Pikmario
4th: Uzu
5th: MpGame
7th: Shadowstew, Jason
8th: Dagwood

1st: Taluda
2nd: Mayor of Earth
3rd: Uzu
4th: FullBleed
5th: Red Savarin, Negus
7th: White Fury, Shadowstew

1st: Agent J
2nd: Fenster
3rd: FullBleed
4th: FizzxWizz
5th: Shadowstew, BenTheDragon
7th: White Fury, Dudex

1st: Mayor of the Earth
2nd: Fenster
3rd: MPGame
4th: Fizzxwizz
5th: Jelifish, Dudex
7th: Shadowstew, Xkbza Algaretex

1st: Mayor of the Earth
2nd: Noaa
3rd: Agent J
4th: Pickles
5th: Longshots, Midiman
7th: Serious Eagle, Dagwood

1st: Duckator
2nd: MPGame
3rd: Pickles
4th: Dagwood
5th: Fenster, Dudex
7th: Jelifish, D-Money

1st: Adeveis
2nd: iDante
3rd: Matlok Holmes
4th: Pickles
5th: Dagwood, JoshB911
7th: Herbvijkl, Serious Eagle

1. Adeveis

2. Mayor

3. Aeroshire

4. Customer Service Heropon

5. dagwood, Matlok Holmes

7. Pickles, Crunchy Frog

1st: noaa

2nd: JoshB

3rd: backupp

4th place: Aeroshire

5th place: Receita Federal, Matlok Holmes

7th place: Pickles, PlatinumPad

For full results visit http://sklbatpc.challonge.com/

Last edited:
Reactions: Receita Federal
I just wanna stress this again..

Am I good enough to enter Skullbats?

Yes!

I have had a lot of people message me saying they think they aren't good enough for skullbats. Or they're out of practice or whatever. That's a bunch of hooey.

Final Week of Season 12 is TOMORROW night, see y'all there.
Changes are coming for season 13, so stay tuned...

Sorry, but I'm not clear on how top 8 is determined. I reread the OP but I don't see anything about that. I guess I assumed that since I won a Skullbats I would be in the top 8 for this season.

If I remember correctly, each week you get points based on how you place and the people with the 8 highest points are chosen for top 8. So a person who wins once would have less points then a person who got 2nd or 3rd twice.

If I remember correctly, each week you get points based on how you place and the people with the 8 highest points are chosen for top 8. So a person who wins once would have less points then a person who got 2nd or 3rd twice.
Huh I dunno if I like that. It's like, there's no point in signing up for a Skullbats unless you're going to sign up for a bunch of them. I'd prefer it if winning a Skullbats got you into top 8 and it went to points after that, I guess similar to how the CPT works this year. At the very least I'd like to be able to see the points.

I do like Peanuts' perspective on top1 securing a slot... But if a given player who has already won a week wins another one how does it work? Does the slot to top8 transfer to the second place on that week then? That doesn't sound as fair, and I really don't feel like not allowing someone who has already won a week to play the other ones is worth considering.

Aaand... I don't quite agree with the saying that "there's no point in signing up for skullbats". It's an online tournament. It's a place to practice just like any other one. Top8 is IMO just a centered event that has likely better matches therefore will be more enjoyable to the audience... I don't see how an online tournament needs to have this one and only purpose to serve the top8 at the end of the season... Not yet at least, since by next season it is likely to feature prizes. That changes things... and might be enough of a reason to think about what peanuts said above.

I do like Peanuts' perspective on top1 securing a slot... But if a given player who has already won a week wins another one how does it work? Does the slot to top8 transfer to the second place on that week then? That doesn't sound as fair, and I really don't feel like not allowing someone who has already won a week to play the other ones is worth considering.
Same way the CPT does it, it's by wins then by points. So like, say there are 6 tournaments that season, and 6 different winners. In that scenario the 6 winners make top 8 and the remaining 2 spots go by points. However, say that one person wins 2 tournaments, and the other 4 have different winners. So 5 people have won tournaments that season, right? You have those 5 people in top 8 and the remaining 3 spots go by points. It's easy.

Reactions: noaa
I'll take the blame for the system here, since it wasn't set up by dagwood, it was stuff I considered and went with. Dagwood just got left with it when I had to take a break.

It's like, there's no point in signing up for a Skullbats unless you're going to sign up for a bunch of them.

Besides the top 8 stuff, I always thought of sbats (back when it was the only weekly online tournament for US players, before Ronaldokun and Monday Night Blockbuster) basically like the online version of weeklies for us estranged players with no alternatives. Not like slapfest, since that's strictly casual play and a different environment. It was something to be there for online players who want to get into slightly more serious matches to count for something, something to put the pressure on which is experience you always want as a competitor. And that regular playing experience is something nice to have and come back to. Having more matches via the swiss system was ideal for this as well since it gave everyone the chance to play a bunch of matches so no one would feel left out but still have points to work for to encourage player effort; basically a balance between a casual/competitive experience is how I always felt it was and why I felt it was always worth entering (back when I entered a lot more regularly).

For the Top 8 situation, personally, I always felt that it was supposed to be a longer competition, and I liked that aspect to it because the longer form benefits regular attendance, something that is incredibly valued in online events since usually attendance is extremely variable. Personally, I value the people who show up every week more than the people who do the "1 and done" even if they happened to have won that particular week. That's not to berate anyone who can't make it every week and such, since life happens or other interests can interfere and that's fine. I'm just used to the "work with what you got" mentality when it comes to online if 1 week 30 people show up and the next week 8 people show up.

However, that's just my own thinking when it was just me trying to figure out how to run things from before when there wasn't much feedback. Dagwood is doing things now so it should be up to him on how he wants to do it. I'm certainly not against the idea of Top Slots since you can support it with the point system already in place. FWIW though, I don't feel like I'm entitled to a slot when I also won 1 of the weeks, but if that system is what others would prefer then I have no objection really.

And I know it's LMAO since I didn't show up last week either, I swear it was cause I promised a friend I would play a game with him then and I didn't know that it was close to the end of the season. Sorry everyone :(

Also I'm biased as hell cause I want Gelato to win and do well and beat everyone m i d w e s t b o y s :D

Reactions: Cadenza
I'll take the blame for the system here, since it wasn't set up by dagwood, it was stuff I considered and went with. Dagwood just got left with it when I had to take a break.

Besides the top 8 stuff, I always thought of sbats (back when it was the only weekly online tournament for US players, before Ronaldokun and Monday Night Blockbuster) basically like the online version of weeklies for us estranged players with no alternatives. Not like slapfest, since that's strictly casual play and a different environment. It was something to be there for online players who want to get into slightly more serious matches to count for something, something to put the pressure on which is experience you always want as a competitor. And that regular playing experience is something nice to have and come back to. Having more matches via the swiss system was ideal for this as well since it gave everyone the chance to play a bunch of matches so no one would feel left out but still have points to work for to encourage player effort; basically a balance between a casual/competitive experience is how I always felt it was and why I felt it was always worth entering (back when I entered a lot more regularly).

For the Top 8 situation, personally, I always felt that it was supposed to be a longer competition, and I liked that aspect to it because the longer form benefits regular attendance, something that is incredibly valued in online events since usually attendance is extremely variable. Personally, I value the people who show up every week more than the people who do the "1 and done" even if they happened to have won that particular week. That's not to berate anyone who can't make it every week and such, since life happens or other interests can interfere and that's fine. I'm just used to the "work with what you got" mentality when it comes to online if 1 week 30 people show up and the next week 8 people show up.

However, that's just my own thinking when it was just me trying to figure out how to run things from before when there wasn't much feedback. Dagwood is doing things now so it should be up to him on how he wants to do it. I'm certainly not against the idea of Top Slots since you can support it with the point system already in place. FWIW though, I don't feel like I'm entitled to a slot when I also won 1 of the weeks, but if that system is what others would prefer then I have no objection really.

And I know it's LMAO since I didn't show up last week either, I swear it was cause I promised a friend I would play a game with him then and I didn't know that it was close to the end of the season. Sorry everyone :(
Opinion.

Reactions: fenster
There are some people who win weeklies that I have my doubts that would attend on the top8 day. That's fixable with the points mentality, but yeah... rewarding attendance is cool, but I'm also cool with any model. I'm part of the few people that attends more than not anyway.

Also I'm biased as hell cause I want Gelato to win and do well and beat everyone m i d w e s t b o y s :D
wow so you arent rooting for me, all just smoke and mirrors

wow so you arent rooting for me, all just smoke and mirrors

You're not even my favorite Brazilian :^)

If you play robo though maybe I'll change my mind ;)

Reactions: noaa
is it possible to see the total points of the season?

You only got 7 points while the lowest top 8 qualifier was gelato with 11 points.

lZJjbN6.png

ill make a public doc next time i guess

Anyways here's the top 8 bracket for sunday: http://sklbatpc.challonge.com/sbs12finale

Reactions: Chuck N. Plazma
You only got 7 points while the lowest top 8 qualifier was gelato with 11 points.

lZJjbN6.png

ill make a public doc next time i guess

Anyways here's the top 8 bracket for sunday: http://sklbatpc.challonge.com/sbs12finale
Uhhhhh shouldn't I have points for winning week 5? It wouldn't have put me in top 8 but still

Uhhhhh shouldn't I have points for winning week 5? It wouldn't have put me in top 8 but still

Yeah, you had 8 total points, 5 from week 5, 3 from week 4.

Season 12 Finished!
http://sklbatpc.challonge.com/sbs12finale

Supreme Champion: mpgame
Worthy Adversary: Farofa | CaioLugon
Maybe Next Time: Receita Federal

4th: Aeroshire
5th: Matlok Holmes
5th: Gelato
7th: noaa
7th: dagwood

Next week: Un-ranked skullbats
Stay tuned for season 13 soon!

Tomorrow night = Skullbats Team Battles! 2v2 Tournament.

However -- you don't get to choose your teammate, teams are completely random! Should be fun, come play.

Yo, That team tournament was really fun! Also we had 16 teams (32 entrants!) http://sklbatpc.challonge.com/sbteams1

1st: Chuck n. Plazma + Receita Federal

2nd: Pickles + WLA Maul

3rd: backupp + MemeFresh

A fun experiment, but normal singles tourney next week!

*Season 13 is beginning tonight! in about 25 minutes from now! Join up!*
Using new top 8 system like we talked about up there^

Last Weeks results since I wasn't here are at : http://challonge.com/Casualbats
they were:

1st. WingZero
2nd. Mocktopus
3rd. Noaa

Season 13 week 1 Finished!
Bracket: http://sklbatpc.challonge.com/sbs13w1

Thanks for playing all, Good times!

1st: Solx
2nd: Receita Federal
3rd: PlatinumPad

Solx has qualified into Top 8

Last edited:
*Season 13 is beginning tonight! in about 25 minutes from now! Join up!*
Using new top 8 system like we talked about up there^
Oh, I didn't realize you had decided to use this. Thanks for using my suggestion!

ohhhh there are TWO threads i thought i was going fucking insane. Anyway clawmaster posted in the other thread which prompted me to try to find the thread that i knew peanuts was talking about top 8 stuff in, seems like this is the more active one so I'll crosspost it here too, the POINT IS:

apparently skullbats is looking for new commentators talk to clawmaster or cadenza if you're interested