• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Project Skulldate: Revamped!

Ok! time to dust this off. finally had time in the past few weeks to work on the route. I'm going to try to put out act 2 of Cerebella's route by the end of the week.

Projects not dead yet.

Ok! time to dust this off. finally had time in the past few weeks to work on the route. I'm going to try to put out act 2 of Cerebella's route by the end of the week.

Projects not dead yet.

YES! YES! YES!

Skulldate Cerebella build Act 2 is here!
Whoops I kinda took a bit longer than I needed to. Sorry for that but the Act's finally done.

This Act was a pain too make honestly a lot of the coding became outdated as I was making it thanks to Renpy but I managed to fix it. I recomend starting over just because I updated the engine to the current build and it doesn't play nice with old saves.

I just need a tad bit of a break so I can plan for Act 3 which while it wont be the final act I want it to be the longest act so far.

Also I have another announcement:

Voice Acting!
I'm Considering adding voice acting into the game. As you might know the Squigly route has voice acting but there was some internal issues which made me consider if I should even have voice acting in the game. I want to write the Act 3 script first to see who needs to be voiced and what. If your interested please Private message me just please keep in mind a few things:

1. You will not have to voice the entire script. This would be impossible for multiple reasons so you would only have to voice key points.
  2. You need to have decent microphone quality.
  3. Have a decent impression of the character you are voicing (self explanatory.)
Some characters who would be voiced:
Cerebella
(Possibility) Vitale
(Possibility) Feng
(Possibility) Main character.

There might be others in the future depending on how the script for Act 3.

Thank you all for waiting for this.

Hmmm, Act 2 doesn't seem to be loading in for me. Every time I try to get past the end of Act 1, the game goes back to the title screen.

Have you tried playing a new save? Like I said the engine got updated so old saves might not work. When I tested the game it seemed fine.

Main character should not be voiced.
It kinda ruins the "immersion" where you can place yourself in the MC's place.
Which is kinda the point.

Have you tried playing a new save? Like I said the engine got updated so old saves might not work. When I tested the game it seemed fine.
Nope, completely new save.

Main character should not be voiced.
It kinda ruins the "immersion" where you can place yourself in the MC's place.
Which is kinda the point.
Yeah hence why I said Possibility, The MC might not get voiced at all.

Nope, completely new save.

Could you take a picture of the screen you get before it goes to the title screen? that way I can locate where the problem is in the script.

This is what I end up with.
Skulldate Bella To be continued screen.png

That's the end for now...unless it's something else could you take a picture of the screen before that one just to make sure your at the end of Act 2?

That's the end for now...unless it's something else could you take a picture of the screen before that one just to make sure your at the end of Act 2?
Skulldate Vitale.png

I don't know if I should ask this here, but...
I'm completely stumped on getting the good ending on Squigly's dating arc. I've backtracked to save points I made playing and tried EVERY possible out of all entries(that I can find). Still getting the Bad End EVERY FREAKING TIME. I don't know what else to do. So, I was wondering if you, or anyone, can give me hint(s) on how to get the Good End. I'm just getting sick and tired of seeing Bad End ever time. Please and thank you

That's the end of Act 2 at least for no.

I don't know if I should ask this here, but...
I'm completely stumped on getting the good ending on Squigly's dating arc. I've backtracked to save points I made playing and tried EVERY possible out of all entries(that I can find). Still getting the Bad End EVERY FREAKING TIME. I don't know what else to do. So, I was wondering if you, or anyone, can give me hint(s) on how to get the Good End. I'm just getting sick and tired of seeing Bad End ever time. Please and thank you

I remember you have to say certain menus in a certian order. Basically nothing "insulting" and after the double fight you have to do the painwheel sidequest and Medici tower sidequest.

That's the end of Act 2 at least for no.
Gotcha. Admittedly, I never played Act 1, so I didn't know how short it was.

I remember you have to say certain menus in a certian order. Basically nothing "insulting" and after the double fight you have to do the painwheel sidequest and Medici tower sidequest.

In a certain order, not going down on the list? Alright. Does that include..."those" menus, like measurements? If it is, I don't know if I can do that.

Don't ask measurements. Or "those" menus mainly because the orginal programmer put them in as traps to stop you from getting the good ending.

PM me if your interested. and I'll tell you the details

Also I would like to make an announcement:

IF YOU DON'T GET BACK TO ME ABOUT WRITING A ROUTE YOUR SLOT WILL BE OPEN FOR OTHER PEOPLE.

Hmm I'm curious to see if Lockjaw kept my easter egg in the Squigly route. Time to find out!

Edit: Yup it's still there. Stupid Easter Egg but there's quite a few other ones depending on what you name your character.

Last edited:
Anybody writing anything at this point? :P
Yes but I have exams right now and those are more important, however the script is half done i want to finish it at least in the coming weeks if i get the chance.

Oh boy looks like I might have to say something here to get this thread dusted off.

Anywho, what people are writing what stories as of right now?

Right now I'm finally free so I'm currently writing the longest part of the route (as In so far without dialogue it's 5 pages of pure story summery.) I'm going to see if I can at least finish writing it by the end of the month and program it asap.

Right now I'm finally free so I'm currently writing the longest part of the route (as In so far without dialogue it's 5 pages of pure story summery.) I'm going to see if I can at least finish writing it by the end of the month and program it asap.
Nice! I look forward to playing it when it releases!

Also yay, this isn't dead! :PUN:

So...how's the progress coming along with Parasoul and Eliza?

Late reply.. but I am still writing the Parasoul route. Just been lazy with giving anyone an update. May take a while to finish but I assure you that it will be top quality and have a certain "depth" to it.

Kiddos, small questions: do you recommend some material to learn how to structure and make good texts/routes for VNs? Or some renpy guides?

Y'all got me curious on the inner workings of it

Ok so. After some consideration I thought i'd ask. While scripting out some of the routes and talking to some people the topic of sex scenes came up and if a dating sim such as this should have sex scnes as a bonus like most dating sims have. My question is should I break my stance on no sex scenes and just add them. granted some characters wont have them at all (like peacock) but my question to you guys is this:

Would you want sex scenes as a bonus? or should I stick to my stance and have no sex scenes, what would you guys want?

Do what you want. If you want to put em in do so. There's plenty of r34 SG stuff out there Tbh. Adding them in just to have them feels like it would be a waste.

Well I'm not going to steal art from r34 but I know someone I can commission for the job. it might be more "implied" anyway since the PC is never really seen.

Eh. Do what you want. Maybe if you're gonna do them make them alternate endings, or secret endings that require specific or hidden actions. Could even be possibly used to justify one for Peacock...maybe...probably not...

But yeah, if there's a sex scene, at least imo, is rather have it either be a main thing you get regularly over multiple times, basically like any HVN, or something you actually have to work to earn, which makes it feel justified in going that far. That's just my take on it.

Well for now my current idea is to do it as a bonus for completing the future side quests in the route. As for peacock I can probably do something more silly rather than a sex scene.

A date involving a very very brutal version of something children normally love. Like a....murder-go-round? Heheheh.
.I-I have nothing more useful to contribute....I'll just see my bad jokes out now...

As long as it feels natural and not,
"Oh no, a silly occurrence occurred and now she wants to have the smex!"

Well the idea I had was to use sidequests. The sidequests themselves don't have any "real" purpose or effect on the route's story but they're used to boost the player character and whoever they chose affection towards one another.

He's the problem with using the sidequests: There's not going to be too many of them it might just be 2-3 routes that range from medium to long length but nothing too long. The original purpose of the sidequests would be to unlock an ending, though i guess i can package the scene as a bonus for completing the side quests and have it also unlock an ending.

Do you guys think thats a good idea?

Well the idea I had was to use sidequests. The sidequests themselves don't have any "real" purpose or effect on the route's story but they're used to boost the player character and whoever they chose affection towards one another.

He's the problem with using the sidequests: There's not going to be too many of them it might just be 2-3 routes that range from medium to long length but nothing too long. The original purpose of the sidequests would be to unlock an ending, though i guess i can package the scene as a bonus for completing the side quests and have it also unlock an ending.

Do you guys think thats a good idea?
The Shantae series has probably my favourite side quest implementation strategy ever. For those unfamiliar with how Wayforward handles side quests, hold back certain options in the main story later on, say once you've gotten to really know the character and have gone on maybe 1 date already. Then make certain options i.e a second date or the chance to skip a date and win the game earlier locked behind the obligation to side quests.

Here's a few examples I whipped up in about 5 minutes.
The "Progress boost": You picked Ms Fortune. You've gotten to know her pretty well but you botched the first date by taking her to a fancy restaurant when she wanted something Dagonian. Dagonian food is a cultural dish so it's expensive, but you encounter Yu-Wan who offers to give your next dinner free if you help him and Minette with some deliveries. Wha-Bam, you complete the side quest and you take Nadia to Yu-Wan's restaurant for an A+ second date that gets you hella points.
The "Progress Boost" alternate: You picked Carol but you're having a difficult time connecting. She's cold and treats you distantly. You encounter Valentine who offers to give you an important piece of her past that will help you connect with her. For a catch. You have to get a special drug for her that can only be found by a plant in No Man's Land
The "Handy Item":You picked Peacock but aside from cartoons your progress has been pretty dull. You want to give her a gift and figure that you'll get her some Annie memorabilia, but you have no clue where to buy something she doesn't already have. Big Band mumbles something about a shady alley he's crossed a few times that had some foreign memorabilia, some real collector's edition stuff. If you volunteer to do him a favour like, say, be his Metronome for a sweet solo he's been working on, he'll go out and get it for you next time he's out on the field. He gets the items for you and you gift it to Patricia, prompting her to accept to a possible date.
The "optional": You picked Filia. You're really hitting it off but Samson hasn't quite taken a liking to you yet, and since he's known Filia longer, his negative views of you are quite influential to Filia's opinion of you. If you accept a job somewhere, you can buy food for Samson and feed him next time you meet, making his and Filia's dialogue a lot more cheerful and likeable whenever you go on dates.
The Roundabout: You picked Beowulf, and though you're all over him all the time, something's been bothering him: He's lost the Hurting. You suspect he's been robbed, so you call Irvin to investigate. Irvin says he will, as long as you help him idk, get Ms Fortune's phone number. You can't get a hold of Ms Fortune but you find Minette who says she'll tell you where to find her if you help her deliver her next order. A particularly unpopular one but it's still seen quite often.

EDIT; It doesn't have to be just about date progression either. If you're just hanging out and say, you want to watch cartoons with Patricia. She mumbles that there's nothing but reruns on TV. You can do a side quest to obtain a DVD set of Episodes she hasn't seen yet, thus opening the option. Or you want to hear Squigly sing, but she's feeling doubtful and has low self-esteem after 14 years of slumber. You can do a side quest to obtain a photograph of the Contiellos performing back in the day and inspire Squigly to sing again, you get points and more options. This is a more "optional" route with side-quests but it is great for those invested in the game.

The general idea is you want to make them mostly necessary to the main quest or else nobody would bother with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Magma442
You've given me some good sidequest ideas already.

Completing some side objectives during specific moments or doing secret little things, like fighting a secret boss or backtracking to have certain cbaracters that wouldn't normally interact talk stuff over. Obviously not fort he whole package but maybe some little side stuff can also help boost affection by small bits.

You've given me some good sidequest ideas already.
Hahaha thanks ^_^' that's flattering! Although quick thing to add: For better or for worse I personally find It better for the side-quest's reward to stay hidden. That way it's presented as just the side-character asking for a favour, and then after having completed it as an act of kindness, the side-character surprisingly rewards the MC with X item or info.