• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirl Patents available to read?

Broseidon Rex

POWER UP!
Reaction score
Steam
Will Drop For Diamonds
XBL
Broseidon Rex
Cerebella
Just curious if anyone knows whether there were any patents that were developed during development and whether they available to read to the public?
Should probably clarify that I'm asking because I'm debating getting a patent engineer position, so I was trying to look up patents I would find interesting, such as the one regarding crowd behavior in Dynasty Warriors

@render @Mike_Z since you guys would be the most likely to know I think

Last edited:
Not that I know of! Either Mike or @Ravidrath would know, but I'm fairly confident we didn't file any patents.

Registering a patent for anything innovative that we did in SG kind of goes against (my perception of) our philosophy for it, since we'd like to see adopted by other games for our own overall benefit as a community.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
What about the lighting on sprites? IIRC Mike said that was "patent pending," but he probably just meant he was proud of it?

I think I heard Mike say once on-stream that the lighting system invented so that you don't have to draw a shading layer is patented? Or at least unique and well-hidden?

I think he also said something about letting the (current) Z Engine go open source after it's had a few updates and Lab Zero is on the next version thereof.

Unfortunately, I don't recall where or which stream he said that. I think it may have been one of the Indivisible dev streams?

Just curious if anyone knows whether there were any patents that were developed during development and whether they available to read to the public?
Nope, we didn't patent anything. Lots of people suggested we patent the PS4 stick driver but you can't AFAIK, and we wouldn't anyway.
I'm sure I said "patent pending" as a joke more than once, because everybody uses that as "original character do not steal". The lighting and image compression/decompression and stuff is patentable, but a lot of it is only useful for 2D and other games would want to do it differently, so why bother. The scripting system is not patentable either, again AFAIK. Plus we've never had the money to sue anyone should they infringe anything. :^P
Half of what makes our game(s soon!) good is the amount of work and attention to detail we put in, which gaining access to the technology won't help anyone else overcome.

Half of what makes our game(s soon!) good is the amount of work and attention to detail we put in
What the heck is the other half?

So, are the puns part of the snark or the hard work?

So, are the puns part of the snark or the hard work?
:PUN:They'll never understand our punishment. Maybe one day I can purrform a Furtality and they'll see what I mean...

Great, now I want Ms. Fortune to steal the Skull Heart entirely for "Alas, Poor Yorick" gags.