• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Report Skullgirls 2nd Encore: Challenges, Trials, Voiced Story Mode, and More!

So excited!! Just wanna know the price, and we're on battle mode all day.......

So, um, is this an entirely separate sequel? Or is it just a really big expansion pack or something like that? I can't tell...

Read the OP!

Its a "complete version of SGE with all the DLC included and new offlines modes"

Is there any chance this game will be made available to certain review/news/youtube publications? I remember TotalBiscuit doing a review of the original. I'm sure they'd be more willing to review it if they were given a copy or journalists' beta. Just curious.

Arc System Works games include a "Demonstration" that shows the CPU performing the trial, which helps a lot. Seems like that would be a smart idea to add for Skullgirls Trials.
Just so you know, Namco holds the patent for this (yes really), and they went after Arc for doing it.
So if you're wondering why, for example, SF4 and MvC3 don't have it for their trials, that's why.
It's an extremely obvious idea, that is easy to implement, that is impossible because people accepting patent applications decades ago didn't understand what might be important later. :^P

Just so you know, Namco holds the patent for this (yes really), and they went after Arc for doing it.
So if you're wondering why, for example, SF4 and MvC3 don't have it for their trials, that's why.
It's an extremely obvious idea, that is easy to implement, that is impossible because people accepting patent applications decades ago didn't understand what might be important later. :^P

I don't know exactly how patents work, but don't they have a statute of limitations? Like there are many patents that have been outdated and everyone can use said patented thing...I think. Like the light bulb as an example.

Also, I'm not sure exactly how it works again, but is it "intellectual" property that is being patented here? One way that many companies get around patents is to do basically the same thing, but make it slightly mechanically different... So like if Edison patented a light bulb that uses a carbon filament, another company might be able to make a light bulb that uses a copper filament...

If namco patented that as a training mode thing... Then a workaround might be to do it outside training mode... More than likely not of course and no time or resources right now to even investigate, but perhaps food for thought in the future. Namco have had this patent for long enough now and it's hampering the quality of life of gamers everywhere.

Weird, Nintendo got away with Luigi effectively playing through the levels in New Super Mario Bros after you die a bunch of times. Then again, legal stuff is scary... as is Nintendo.

Might it be easy to have animations of the characters performing the trials as background NPC's during the trials? That way it's not technically a CPU demonstration, but it can serve the same purpose.

If not, something similar could be done on the player's end by having YouTube video of the trials in one window and the game in another. Heck, the player doesn't even need a dual monitor setup- by playing the YouTube vid in the background, he can use the audio of the trial to get the timing right.

Might it be easy to have animations of the characters performing the trials as background NPC's during the trials? That way it's not technically a CPU demonstration, but it can serve the same purpose.

This sounds smart as shit lol, i know not gonna be happen (?) but, that´s totally legal? @Mike_Z

Just curious.

It was something about the CPU demonstrating moves, I think for a soccer game?
And it might be Japanese. I really don't remember, I just know I looked it up before.

And NO, we are not going to put them in as background NPCs, wtf.

I don't know exactly how patents work, but don't they have a statute of limitations? Like there are many patents that have been outdated and everyone can use said patented thing...I think. Like the light bulb as an example.

Also, I'm not sure exactly how it works again, but is it "intellectual" property that is being patented here? One way that many companies get around patents is to do basically the same thing, but make it slightly mechanically different... So like if Edison patented a light bulb that uses a carbon filament, another company might be able to make a light bulb that uses a copper filament...

If namco patented that as a training mode thing... Then a workaround might be to do it outside training mode... More than likely not of course and no time or resources right now to even investigate, but perhaps food for thought in the future. Namco have had this patent for long enough now and it's hampering the quality of life of gamers everywhere.

I believe It's one of the cases where Namco probably would never win a case in court, but also that would be just way too exhausting for Lab Zero to bother with, so it's better to leave them be.

Last edited:
Random thought. Was the opening movie for 2nd Encore redone to include the new characters in some way? Or is it just the original opening movie?

Reactions: Wenzel
I believe It's one of the cases where Namco probably would never win a case in court, but also that would be just way too exhausting for Lab Zero to bother with, so it's better to leave them be.
Too expensive as well and just not worth the hassle. Its how Edge Games, who had trademarked various uses of the word "Edge" in relation to video games, existed for ages and is the reason Soul Calibur wasn't called Soul Edge II. Then they tried to pull something on EA for Mirror's Edge and got rofflestomped by EA's legal department. This lead to a lot of "Holy shit, I'm routing for EA" articles and blogs.

I'm now imagining the voiced story modes in conjunction with the DLC voicepack dubs.

Double: "You now exist for a single purpose. As you deny your purpose, they deny your continued existence."
(Match starts)
Double: "Hey hey hey, I'm here to take your JOB!"

I think this is 2nd Encore news: during Salty on Friday, there was an announcement that there will a SG2E centered episode of the UltraChen stream tonight to show off what's changed since SG vanilla (which would be pretty much everything)

Reactions: Wenzel
I think this is 2nd Encore news: during Salty on Friday, there was an announcement that there will a SG2E centered episode of the UltraChen stream tonight to show off what's changed since SG vanilla (which would be pretty much everything)
hour and channel?

Edit: http://www.twitch.tv/ultrachentv ,tought.

Last edited:
It's here. They started the stream with the wrong title so it's listed as MKX Patch Testing

Actually, the more I think about the additional Story Mode voicing the better it gets. Given that the VAs are now covering more of the cast than they used to and that a lot of these characters have been made potential DLC options, that means we're going to get things like the inevitable Laura Post-off of Valentine vs. Ileum.

As well, as awesome as the thought of Kai Kennedy voicing Beowulf's extreme hamminess is, it's still beaten by the thought of Charlotte Ann having to voice Double's terrifying freak-out in Eliza's story. You know what I mean.

Actually, the more I think about the additional Story Mode voicing the better it gets. Given that the VAs are now covering more of the cast than they used to and that a lot of these characters have been made potential DLC options, that means we're going to get things like the inevitable Laura Post-off of Valentine vs. Ileum.

As well, as awesome as the thought of Kai Kennedy voicing Beowulf's extreme hamminess is, it's still beaten by the thought of Charlotte Ann having to voice Double's terrifying freak-out in Eliza's story. You know what I mean.
Oh God, yes. I want to hear Double's loud fury when I play that story. When I first heard her say "I SHALL BE AVENGED!!" and thought about this, I became even happier now thinking about what it will sound like.

Oh God, yes. I want to hear Double's loud fury when I play that story. When I first heard her say "I SHALL BE AVENGED!!" and thought about this, I became even happier now thinking about what it will sound like.

Looking at your icon, I'm wondering how they're going to voice that scene. If they layer the two voices over each other so that they gradually change from one into the other, that would be amazing. Terrifying, but amazing

I'm so happy, I can't wait to hear what type of smug, shit-eating tone Double talked in when she was wearing those shades.
Skullgirls Beowulf Screenshots Double.jpg

Reactions: 3 Eyes
When does robo fortune drop for (normal) retail?? & any new news
If I'm not mistaken, the PS4 version comes out sometime in July.

So sometime in July.

If I'm not mistaken, the PS4 version comes out sometime in July.

So sometime in July.
I thought it was June.

Oh well. Guess I could relax now.

I mean, it's not like I wasn't going to pre-order anyway, but that theme kicks ass. Shame about the Vita delay but $20 for 2nd Encore? That's insane. You guys are great.

Since you're talking about pre-orders and didn't mention the limited physical release, I take it that isn't happening?

As I said on Twitter. I wuv you.

"Skullgirls 2nd Encore will soon be available for pre-order on PSN!

For $24.99 (or $19.99 for PS+ users), you'll get Skullgirls 2nd Encore for PlayStation 4, Skullgirls 2nd Encore for PlayStation Vita, and a beautiful new PS4 theme if you pre-order!

The theme features a gorgeous piece of new Skullgirls art, customized icons featuring Skullgirls characters, and a lovely new arrangement of Michiru Yamane's "In a Moment's Time."

Check out this video of the theme in action!"

Source

Since you're talking about pre-orders and didn't mention the limited physical release, I take it that isn't happening?

Just because we didn't mention it doesn't mean it isn't happening. We're up to our necks with other stuff right now but still intend on trying to make it happen. It was never going to be simultaneous with the regular digital release. Sorry if we made it seem like it was!

Just because we didn't mention it doesn't mean it isn't happening. We're up to our necks with other stuff right now but still intend on trying to make it happen. It was never going to be simultaneous with the regular digital release. Sorry if we made it seem like it was!
Oh, I assumed it would be, sorry. Thank you for answering, I look forward to pre-ordering 2nd Encore in any case, twice if given the opportunity.

Reactions: earlfriend

Maybe this would be to early but, if a limited physical release happen, would include like a code for the PS4 theme?

Reactions: Eryx Blue
a physical release would make some of my dreams come true

Oh, it hurts my heart that I can't get that theme, no money to preorder the ps4 version for a loooong while ;_;

Should I possibly keep hope of it being sold as a separate purchase down the line?

Oh, it hurts my heart that I can't get that theme, no money to preorder the ps4 version for a loooong while ;_;
Should I possibly keep hope of it being sold as a separate purchase down the line?
I have no idea if we're even allowed to do that considering it's a preorder bonus, and the point of those is to get you to preorder. :^)
And I'm sure it'd be exclusive for a long time first even if we could do it.

That's rare footage of a PS4 theme with actual effort put into it.lol. Ive been looking for a theme that could make me come off the Transistor theme. Finally found it. Great work again