• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls is coming to Mobile!

New content? :O

Render also explicitly told me it was real time combat.
Hoping for some clarification on this.

The news says it will get RPG elements.

I'll probably bite when I upgrade my Android phone next year or so.

I know it was already mentioned here before, but if they add new stages to this mobile version and one of them is not an airport that happens to be deadly I will be mildly disappointed.

Reactions: Sunset Radiance
I don't think L0 would let a bad game be called skullgirls. I trust them.
I want to believe this. Does anyone know how much say L0 actually has though? I thought Autumn has control over the IP...

I'm pretty torn on this....
  • A) What the quotes says, but
  • B) To a large audience, this will be a big part of their image of what Skullgirls is, and I don't want anything taking away from SG rep as a respectable fighter IP

Iunno lol :P I'm just hoping for the best :3 Here's to the hype!

I know it was already mentioned here before, but if they add new stages to this mobile version and one of them is not an airport that happens to be deadly I will be mildly disappointed.

There are Deadly Airport references in the game, but no plans to make any new stages right now.

I want to believe this. Does anyone know how much say L0 actually has though? I thought Autumn has control over the IP...

I'm pretty torn on this....
  • A) What the quotes says, but
  • B) To a large audience, this will be a big part of their image of what Skullgirls is, and I don't want anything taking away from SG rep as a respectable fighter IP

Iunno lol :P I'm just hoping for the best :3 Here's to the hype!

We don't have much direct say, per se, but we're taking a strong advisory role. Autumn and Hidden Variable trust that we know our community and what they will and won't like, even though we're ultimately hoping to reach a larger audience than existing Skullgirls players.

It's incredibly important to us that this game be fun and add to the Skullgirls IP and not be a cash-in. Mike is constantly bugging Hidden Variable trying to make sure that this can be enjoyed without paying anything.

The balance we're looking for is like that of League of Legends - people give that game money because they love the game, not because they have to.

The balance we're looking for is like that of League of Legends - people give that game money because they love the game, not because they have to.
Ehhhh, I'm not sure I like League as the best comparison here, what with having to buy every character and then that convoluted rune nonsense...

Can you give any specifics on what the payment model will be like? I take it this means it's not gonna just be a game I can buy once for a finite cost and never have to worry about energy or timers or smurfberries...

What specs is this game targeting? .I am wondering if my phone can run it.

That's why I gave LoL my money, so yeah, good to hear!

Reactions: Peterthegameguy
Ok I woke up to a lot of alerts but I do have a few questions.

@Ravidrath For instance: if anyone decides to skip this (I know a lot of people who simply don't like to game on mobile) will the miss out on "big" things story wise like huge plot points or reveals? Or will it be more fun side stories that add more to characters but if you do decide to skip it you won't miss big chunks of story?

Basically would this be needed to get the "full" story and have exclusive plot points if Skullgirls 2 ever happens?

It's not going to be like Kingdom Hearts where you would need to buy games across platforms to understand the story right?

We don't have much direct say, per se, but we're taking a strong advisory role.
With regards to the story content, how much control do you have? One of the things I appreciated most about the story modes of Skullgirls is how none of the cast turned into a poorly written 'Strong Female Character' TM, even after the playable male chars were introduced.

Also, is the game really just called Skullgirls? No subtitle?

Ok I woke up to a lot of alerts but I do have a few questions.

@Ravidrath For instance: if anyone decides to skip this (I know a lot of people who simply don't like to game on mobile) will the miss out on "big" things story wise like huge plot points or reveals? Or will it be more fun side stories that add more to characters but if you do decide to skip it you won't miss big chunks of story?

Basically would this be needed to get the "full" story and have exclusive plot points if Skullgirls 2 ever happens?

It's not going to be like Kingdom Hearts where you would need to buy games across platforms to understand the story right?
If/when SG2 happens, perhaps it could include some sort of recap of the events of Mobile? I heard they did something like that for the KH rereleases.

It still wasn't good in the KH releases. And they're still doing it with things like X and 2.9

jesus christ, I didn't think they'd try to cram that many buzzwords into the reveal speech

"a fighting game for mobile that captured the depth and essence of a fighting game, while at the same time being extremely accessible and built from the ground up with mobile in mind"

it's like someone just vomited business jargon and the crowd ate it all up

also holy crap it's just the same gameplay as NRS's mobile games

Theres barley any actual gameplay so im reserving my judgment till i see more.

also holy crap it's just the same gameplay as NRS's mobile games
This is exceptionally not the case. I have played enough Injustice and MKX mobile by now to know how much agency you actually have there, vs in SG mobile.

jesus christ, I didn't think they'd try to cram that many buzzwords into the reveal speech
"a fighting game for mobile that captured the depth and essence of a fighting game, while at the same time being extremely accessible and built from the ground up with mobile in mind"
it's like someone just vomited business jargon and the crowd ate it all up
This, I honestly agree with. I can't stand that jargon-y crap either, and had basically the same reaction onstage, though everyone was looking at the screen.
But, Hidden Variable is the ones makin' the game so they're the ones talkin' about it. You won't hear that stuff from LZ as long as I'm part of it.

well I just hope to hear word from people playing the version you have at the booth at Anime Expo about how well it plays and other stuff.

:-I

[I honestly just want it to do okay and not negatively effect SG as a whole. Cause apparently people on the internet like to do that sort of stuff.]

Hell it really needs to impress too, the word "mobile game" has become tainted by the industry so here's hoping they can actually pull it off and make a mobile game worth playing.

Theres barley any actual gameplay
Stew on it for a while, I'm sure as the project simmers down they'll find a design that doesn't go against the grain of Lab Zero's principles. This is their bread and butter we're talking about here, they wouldn't want to let the franchise go stale.

Stew on it for a while, I'm sure as the project simmers down they'll find a design that doesn't go against the grain of Lab Zero's principles. This is their bread and butter we're talking about here, they wouldn't want to let the franchise go stale.
I think they mean "there's barley [sic] any actual gameplay in the video", not "in the game itself".

I applied to the demo so if I get accepted I'll make my judgement when i get my hands on it. but so far the way you can sell me is by showing gameplay and how it will play. Impress through visuals not by words.

Ok I'll admit, As much as I love Skullgirls I am a huge skeptic of the mobile market. It's a huge gamble because you don't know what will succeed or fail and I'm afraid that this won't be successful

it's not exactly a huge gamble for Lab Zero. For Hidden Variable and Autumn Games it is, cause well they're the ones who are doing most of the work. Lab Zero is just over seeing the whole thing and giving feed back making sure it will hold up to their standards.

I feel like it can do good, it's just going to have an uphill battle due to everyone's preconceived notion of how mobile games are not really good and they tend to have terrible micro-transaction in them, ect, ect.

It is sad that mobile games have such a horrendous reputation. There are some high quality mobile titles such as Heroki or Terra Battle. Unfortunately they are buried under a sea of shit.

I'm sure there's probably a decent game or two out there somewhere, but I don't have time to sift through the mountains and mountains of horrible garbage until I find the needle in a shitstack.

I'm sure it'll be a fun distraction for me. Everyone is getting up in arms over this just because of the (rightfully) negative stigma surround the word "mobile". There are some gems on mobile and genuinely good time-wasters.

Have some cross pollination from NeoGaf:

Moonlight's thoughts from the panel:
Moonlight said:
Came out of the panel. In general, it was awesome. Skullgirls mobile looked cool, too. To address a few immediate concerns: what they showed looked like Skullgirls. They headed off any concerns on predatory micro transactions (but the game will be free to play) and everything in the game will be unlockable for free, apparently. Ravid specifically compared it to League, where you can play the full uncompromised game for free and if you're kicking over money it's because you want to, basically.

It's more of a game than I was expecting, actually. All the controls are limited to a couple buttons to control supers and swipe/hold motions. There's dashing forward/back, launchers, blocking, etc. RPG mechanics/progression come into how the game seems to calculate damage and different skills characters have. They demo'd Big Band who has a skill where he regents some health for a couple seconds when he tags into a battle. Eliza inflicts a bleed status effect when anyone uses a super and heals off getting hit with bleed. Each character colour palette has different skills and stuff. Think of it sorta like custom moves in Smash 4?

The game is so far totally single player, though. We might see Versus later, I don't recall them promising anything.

There's new music, new assets, new animations, and they said they wanted to add new characters to the game to use as a basis for Skullgirls 2 (!!!) since the game basically uses the exact same sprites/assets in the exact same way. They also made no guarantees or promises but basically Annie is confirmed.

EDIT: Oh yeah, there's an offensive assist mode for people who'd feel intimidated even by the touch controls. Basically it just sets the character you play as into a really aggressive AI that just attacks with normals so you can just think of when to activate supers or when to block or even when to attack yourself. Seems like a pretty smart feature. Implementation wise, at least.

How the controls work:
Ravidrath said:
Swipe forward does a dash-forward attack, swipe back does a back dash. Pretty sure that's it for pure movement?

Tapping does a canned combo, swipe up does a launcher and tapping them in the air does an aerial combo. Swiping down does a knockdown attack. And holding a finger of them does a charge attack.

Holding two fingers blocks, and swiping two fingers does a throw.

Moonlight's hands on:
Moonlight said:
Played around with it a bit. I really enjoyed myself, actually. The controls feel very intuitive. It took me like a minute to fully adjust, and it totally clicked from there. Was pretty fun messing around with the grabs, launchers, dashing, etc. Felt... yeah, like Skullgirls. Different, of course, but the pacing of the fights felt right.

Ravid showed me how it looks like on a phone screen. And yeah, if looks really nice.

I had the gacha/monetization stuff explained to me a bit, too. You earn crates (relics is the nomenclature, technically) that contain some random loot - special moves for your characters, new versions of characters (?), and such - and if you get duplicates, those convert into skill points for the character that special/palette was associated with. You spend the skill points in the progression tree those characters have. They'll have daily events (on a rotation? I wasn't sure) where you're guaranteed a crate for that character's drops. And then you can buy in-game currency to buy these crates yourself if you want. No stamina stuff, either.

But that all doesn't matter because what really matters is that Charley gave me a quick glimpse at the story menu and I see that one of the chapters reaaaaally looks like it concerns Black Dahlia. All I need from this story, really.

Dont tell DDB. let him find out firsthand. super excited for new characters though, although if theyre going to make basis for new characters, lets say umbrella, why not just add them to the base SG as DLC instead of waiting for SG2. maybe lack of funding for a full new character minus a limited mobile one? or maybe they just work like assist.

Controls sound alright, but
Moonlight said:
I had the gacha/monetization stuff explained to me a bit, too. You earn crates (relics is the nomenclature, technically) that contain some random loot - special moves for your characters, new versions of characters (?), and such - and if you get duplicates, those convert into skill points for the character that special/palette was associated with. You spend the skill points in the progression tree those characters have. They'll have daily events (on a rotation? I wasn't sure) where you're guaranteed a crate for that character's drops. And then you can buy in-game currency to buy these crates yourself if you want. No stamina stuff, either.
Sigh, this is where you're losing me. Money affects gameplay, and while you can say it won't be a big deal in this game, every mobile game claims that. It always seems inevitable that at some point the grinding gets too much and you need to either cough up or you'll be stuck for a while, and even if you do cough up you'll still hit another bottleneck later and it never ends.

I really don't like being time-limited to one loot thing a day instead of being able to play and progress at my leisure - doubly so if the loot is random so RNG can leave me waiting a long time to actually get what I need. And it's annoying how this cuts both ways, meaning I need to check in every day so I don't miss any loot things, if I take a break for a bit that'll cost me.

Why can't it be a more traditional model where I pay for the game once and never have to worry about anything else? Or since the game is apparently split up into seasons, each season could be paid DLC with a small taste at the beginning for free. Or something else that's... just, well, not this.

Why can't it be a more traditional model where I pay for the game once and never have to worry about anything else? Or since the game is apparently split up into seasons, each season could be paid DLC with a small taste at the beginning for free. Or something else that's... just, well, not this.

This business model turns me away from the game most of the time...

Just give a "pay once, pay for the expansions if you like, no microtransactions ever" option and i'm game