• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls is coming to Mobile!

Sorry to be pedantic but this isn't completely true. Autumn aren't the ones funding the pot bonus for GUTS 4.
Oh sorry, I misphrased it. Autumn has funded all the pot bonuses that people credit LZ for. :^P
Edited to clarify.

i believe there is more there than just the pokemon and the walking, and that stuff is worth it for me to stomach the bad.
It has worthwhile parts for you, sure. We have different opinions. You can acknowledge that, I hope. :^)

I disagree. As far as the game, I'm actually having a lot of fun just driving around while sharpie is in the passenger seat catching pokemon, finding new places with stops, new areas with new pokemon, or gyms to take over. I'm also enjoying the experience of getting on a bus and hearing everyone talk about Pokemon, a thing I thought would never happen again after middle school. There's also the experience or being able to talk to a random person on the street about somethung that used to be so far from socially acceptable I could only talk about it at events.

If Pokemon Go was just about walking and Pokemon, the Pikachu pedometers would have taken off 15 years ago. I'm not forgiving or excusing anything about the game, but i believe there is more there than just the pokemon and the walking, and that stuff is worth it for me to stomach the bad.

Se my problem with that is...I don't really have a friend to drive with, theres nothing around me, I live in the country so not too many game players. And plus if i wanted to jog I wouldn't replace this with my current jogging routine.

Basically I'm saying without the actual physical social interaction Pokemon go gets boring fast, well at least to me, as opposed to a regular Pokemon game.

Go has a cute premise, but it feels like they forgot to flesh it out and make a full game. Catching Pokemon is fun, but after that there's nothing to actually do with your party. No training, no real battling, and gyms are so terrible they may as well be nothing.

Se my problem with that is...
I was disagreeing with the notion that there were only two types of Go players

I was disagreeing with the notion that there were only two types of Go players
There's only one type of GO player: the kind that can ignore the fact that there's almost no game there. It's more of a compulsion, than a game. You know, like most mobile games. What a surprise.

Okie.
WHICH

ties into the discussion about mobile games, because I'd need any game I play to be more, "enjoyable," and not so much, "an addictive habit." I hope that SG mobile is in line with that need.

Reactions: Wenzel
Pokemon Go can be great for getting people to go outside (some people are saying it's helping them with depression, etc.), but for people who are already outside, Kai is spot on. I don't see how it makes a walk more enjoyable to be compelled to stop to check your phone and catch a pokemon. It works on a sense of losing value, where if you're not playing it while outside, you're missing out. It's the same idea as having to wait for more quests or recharging or whatever. In hearthstone for example, you can't have more than three quests in your list. If you're not playing every three days, you're wasting value. Pokemon go is just exchanging time with space.

Something something something skullgirls mobile.

It works on a sense of losing value, where if you're not playing it while outside, you're missing out. It's the same idea as having to wait for more quests or recharging or whatever. In hearthstone for example, you can't have more than three quests in your list. If you're not playing every three days, you're wasting value.
This times a billion. One of my biggest gripes with most F2P games is how there's suddenly an opportunity cost to taking a break. I can't just play on my own time anymore without stressing out over the schedule the game wants me to play on.

I hope to heck this comes to Amazon's tablets (Fire/Kindle) and stays there. Netherrealm killed Amazon support for the two swipe-fighters I played every day (Injustice and MKX) and it made me incredibly sad. Skullgirls could very well fill that hole.

Pokemon Go can be great for getting people to go outside (some people are saying it's helping them with depression, etc.), but for people who are already outside, Kai is spot on. I don't see how it makes a walk more enjoyable to be compelled to stop to check your phone and catch a pokemon. It works on a sense of losing value, where if you're not playing it while outside, you're missing out. It's the same idea as having to wait for more quests or recharging or whatever. In hearthstone for example, you can't have more than three quests in your list. If you're not playing every three days, you're wasting value. Pokemon go is just exchanging time with space.

Something something something skullgirls mobile.
And all those dummies who don't look and get hit by cars or fall of cliffs. Hmm wonder if skullgirls mobile will have that popularity.

alright, so to kill the Pokemon Go arguments, I just watched the panel video for SGMo and man, I gotta say, I'm actually really excited for it. I've never been excited for a mobile game before. This is crazy.

If you were a bit on the fence like I was, it's a great watch to convert you over.

And all those dummies who don't look and get hit by cars or fall of cliffs. Hmm wonder if skullgirls mobile will have that popularity.
This Just in a local Skullheart user has been hit by a car which threw him off a cliff. Local mob authorities assume he was ogling over some dumb Cerebella palette he unlocked like a nerd when the car hit him.

This Just in a local Skullheart user has been hit by a car which threw him off a cliff. Local mob authorities assume he was ogling over some dumb Cerebella palette he unlocked like a nerd when the car hit him.

Can we... not joke about people dying?
I'd need any game I play to be more, "enjoyable," and not so much, "an addictive habit."
At what point is an action enjoyable and at what point is it an addictive habit?

Opening treasure chests in any JRPG, for example, is fairly similar to stopping at a Pokestop. It felt the same in Chrono Trigger to go to the end of time, get a chest, go back a period, get the same chest, etc, as it does hitting up the same pokestops on my well traveled route. How much of fighting in any JRPG is fun and how much of it is habit? I love playing Chrono Trigger, but half of the battles I'm mindlessly spamming normal attacks until it's dead or I need to heal up. Compare them to catching Pokemon, which is mindlessly throwing Pokeballs until a strong Pokemon shows and you have to switch to more efficient items (Razz Berry+Ultra/Great ball). Rewards are money, items, XP. XP makes you stronger in both, so does money buy buying powerful upgrades, and items help you live longer or get further in the game. Basically, the act of twirling a ball and throwing it into a hoop may not be super fun by itself, but how fun is selecting an option on a menu? Swiping a stop may not be fun, but how fun is hitting x on a box?

Yeah, there's story in CT, and places to go. There's sights to see and people to talk to, all things that compound and add to the game. However, I would argue that all of the same are in PMGO. I have a story with Sharpie of the "adventure" we've been on, and we have cities with useful items and rewards. We have people we've talked to directly related to the game, and we have things we've seen that could have only been seen with this game.

The game itself is lacking because of the servers and bugs and missing features, but I don't think that the concept of the game is really all that terrible, especially once it's looked at along with the social experience. It can be better, a lot better, so I'm sticking with it to see where it goes.

I do respect and acknowledge other opinions, I just want to get mine out there.

In both instances and in above video everyone lived, besides it's just the idiots who decided not to look up when walking and driving.

I guess it is, fine let's move on something something SG mobile... oh did they say how ads will work? Like in the the middle of a fight a nonskipple ad will start playing?

At what point is an action enjoyable and at what point is it an addictive habit?

Opening treasure chests in any JRPG, for example, is fairly similar to stopping at a Pokestop. It felt the same in Chrono Trigger to go to the end of time, get a chest, go back a period, get the same chest, etc, as it does hitting up the same pokestops on my well traveled route. How much of fighting in any JRPG is fun and how much of it is habit? I love playing Chrono Trigger, but half of the battles I'm mindlessly spamming normal attacks until it's dead or I need to heal up. Compare them to catching Pokemon, which is mindlessly throwing Pokeballs until a strong Pokemon shows and you have to switch to more efficient items (Razz Berry+Ultra/Great ball). Rewards are money, items, XP. XP makes you stronger in both, so does money buy buying powerful upgrades, and items help you live longer or get further in the game. Basically, the act of twirling a ball and throwing it into a hoop may not be super fun by itself, but how fun is selecting an option on a menu? Swiping a stop may not be fun, but how fun is hitting x on a box?

Yeah, there's story in CT, and places to go. There's sights to see and people to talk to, all things that compound and add to the game. However, I would argue that all of the same are in PMGO. I have a story with Sharpie of the "adventure" we've been on, and we have cities with useful items and rewards. We have people we've talked to directly related to the game, and we have things we've seen that could have only been seen with this game.

The game itself is lacking because of the servers and bugs and missing features, but I don't think that the concept of the game is really all that terrible, especially once it's looked at along with the social experience. It can be better, a lot better, so I'm sticking with it to see where it goes.

I do respect and acknowledge other opinions, I just want to get mine out there.
You're talking about a habit in a different way than I am. The actual mechanics of a game are not what I'm talking about, though I will again say that the actual game mechanics of GO are threadbare at best, and make no positive contribution to the perceived, "fun."

When I say habit, it's as @MysteriousJ elaborated: "It works on a sense of losing value, where if you're not playing it while outside, you're missing out." For people that play GO, if they're moving around, they literally CAN'T stop themselves from looking at their phone. It's not a game, it's a compulsion. They've got a mankey on their back, ya dig.

Also, unless some of you have an actual reason that you want to move off this topic (or another mod feels it should be moved), I think it's HIGHLY relevant. We're talking about the very core of addition-based mobile gaming, something that could be a factor in SG mobile (though hopefully not so much).

Reactions: Wenzel
I guess it is, fine let's move on something something SG mobile... oh did they say how ads will work? Like in the the middle of a fight a nonskipple ad will start playing?
I thought Mike mentioned there were no ads.

No ads, it's a safe assumption that the cash will come from the purchases made in game.

or because it's fun? CRAZY GAMING THOUGHT I KNOW
Dude, you can absorb ALL provided content in 2 hours....
In 3 hours it starts to be repetative. And no, you cannot compare it to CS.

[you really should remove the hella annoying Tapatalk signature btw]

The world is already becoming divided between the people that forgive PeeGo for everything because CATCHING POKEMON AND WALKING, and the people who didn't need an excuse to walk places and prefer games that work. :^P
It's seems PG became a "game" for people who doesn't play games XD

Dude, you can absorb ALL provided content in 2 hours....
In 3 hours it starts to be repetative. And no, you cannot compare it to CS.

you can literally say the exact same thing about Skullgirls and yet here we are

When I say habit, it's as @MysteriousJ elaborated: "It works on a sense of losing value, where if you're not playing it while outside, you're missing out." For people that play GO, if they're moving around, they literally CAN'T stop themselves from looking at their phone. It's not a game, it's a compulsion. They've got a mankey on their back, ya dig.
I'm not sure I totally agree with this part, tho it's nice to see some people actually criticising PoGo for once. The game's only been out a few days in the UK, and the many bugs have prevented me from playing it very much at all, but I don't think you are compelled to constantly look at your phone while walking. I've been able to walk down the street with my phone by my side, and it gives a vibration notification to let you if a pokemon pops up nearby, at which point you can briefly look at the screen to catch the poke, then continue.

Plus, aren't you 'missing out' if you're not playing any game? If you want to go to a Skullgirls tourney, but can't get the time off work, you'll feel like you are missing out. Alot of mobile games, like fishbowl-esque collector games, will run timed events that try and make you feel like you need to constantly check in the game to unlock a limited time character and will exert that artificial pressure to try and get people to drop money on microtransactions. Pokemon Go doesn't really have that to my knowledge?? I'm still at a pretty low level, but I've never felt the need to spend money yet. Also of note, the game has never prompted me to buy any items, and it took me a while to even notice where the currency menu even was.
So I don't feel like PoGo is taking advantage of or encouraging compulsive/addictive behaviour like so many mobile games do. And hopefully Skullgirls Mobile follows suit.

Reactions: Lex
I just want it to be fun and fair to my budget. Is that too much to ask?

If we put ourselves in a freezer could we thaw out later?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But if we don't speculate, our brains won't be able to comprehend how much more intelligent the design IS compared to what we wanted! :P

It's very easy to explain why we can't wait properly. Everybody around here has been 13 right?

Think about masturbation for a second.

Think about masturbation for a second.
YES SIR.
Clipboard022.png

Oh hey, after actually viewing the Panel video, it seems the story mode will be released in seasons, with the first season being a prequel. This still gives the team wiggle room to add stories during and after SG1 to segue into SG2. Heck, we may even get to interact with more of the cast, like Cerebella's rival, Beatrix, or maybe Valentine reminisces about Last Hope. The possibilities for lore are endless! :D

Reactions: SkullMan
you can literally say the exact same thing about Skullgirls and yet here we are
Well at min, you cannot get all ending in 2 hours, so...

maybe Valentine reminisces about Last Hope
I hadn't thought of this, I hope we get to see Valentine and Brain Drain interacting with the other Last Hope members.