• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls Mobile General Discussion

Man I'm really late to this, and I'm sure it's not possible to change the gameplay this much at this point, but...
Alrightish, but I don't really like the two finger block or throw. I've found that sometimes my block gets read as a jab and it doesn't always give me throw when I want it.

If I may suggest a possible alternate control scheme, here's what I'd go with:

Divide the screen into left and right half, all actions now use just one finger and are dependent on which side of the screen you touch.

Left half:
:B::F:: Movement
Tap/hold: Block
:D:: Throw

Right half:
Tap tap tap: Ground chain
:F:x2: Forward attack
:U:, tap tap tap: Launcher and air chain
:D:: Sweep

If we leave it at that, this can just be an option to pick while leaving the existing control scheme in the game too for whichever players prefer. But if this were to be the only control scheme you'd have room to add more things, and as I'll get into in a bit I do think there needs to be more things. Possible ideas:

Left half:
:U:: Jump, possibly :UF:/:UB: for direction but if you really want to avoid diagonals it could just always jump forward.
Tap right when attacks hit: Just Defend! I think a JD mechanic would fit in well here to raise the skill ceiling without complicating controls. If it negates chip damage, this would go a long way towards making it possible for underleveled characters to stand a chance as long as you're good enough.

Right half:
:B:: Room for one more kind of attack. Not sure what sort of generic category to put here, but perhaps instead of something generic you could try and have something more unique for each character. Actually, that'd be best, since everyone feeling too samey is an issue I'll get into next.
So we've got ground chain, forward, sweep, launcher into air chain, and throw, plus one special and three supers. Such a tiny, tiny movelist. There's not a whole lot to do at neutral, you're pretty much just gonna poke with either ground chain or forward all the time, with the occasional throw. And combo-wise it doesn't feel like there's very much room to improvise and discover stuff. I can see there's a little more later in the skill tree, but I'm guessing these aren't gonna be massive game changers. If somehow they actually are, then don't save 'em for so late in the game lest people get bored and leave before they ever see them.

And what really stands out to me is that everyone feels pretty much the same, right down to mostly using the same combos. It feels like the only real differences between characters are who can keep going after an air chain, who can combo off of throws and raw tags, and what specials/supers can be comboed into. And that first one stops mattering anyway once you figure out using ground chain after launcher since that appears to just always be better. Maybe there's some more unique stuff I'm missing, but without a training mode it's hard to explore.

If you've seen BlazBlue RR, I feel they really nailed their movelists (unfortunately most everything else about the game they didn't nail, but that's beside the point). They have a very similar tappy tap swipey swipe control scheme to SG Mobile, but not only do they give you a lot more moves to work with, they also managed to make every character vary significantly. They don't all feel like tiny variations on the same template, but faithful adaptations of their playstyles from the original game! Maybe try and take some notes from them, if you can borrow the one thing they got right while actually making the rest of the game good too you'd have a hell of a hit.

Also gonna echo the sentiment earlier about not being able to just dash without automatically attacking, especially since that attack is punishable. If I'm at a distance and they didn't just wakeup super to give me a guaranteed punish, I'm hesitant to go in since that requires me to just cross my fingers and hope the AI lets me (which they often do, but it still feels bad that I have to count on its stupidity).

Lastly, throws. Earlier I heard that throws apparently have invincibility frames to let them beat attacks because it felt better that way, but this raises a very big question. If throws beat attacks and throws beat block, and jumping doesn't even exist, what the hell beats throws? Whenever I come across a Diamond Drop Bella, I always backdash before her wakeup since it doesn't look like there's any other way to be safe, and then in the rare event that the AI doesn't do it see my complaint about dash attacks.
THIS. IS ALL SO GOOD. And now that I've played a proper BlazBlue game I can say that RR did do a good job with the standard moves available and inputs for them.

THIS. IS ALL SO GOOD.
I would argue that to incorporate these things as of right now wouldn't just be too late, but would require changing the game COMPLETELY (potentially even starting from scratch!). The game heavily relies on characters unlocking specials, whereas a game like BlazBlue RR relies on a character having most of their tools from the start.
The only things that i think could be done at this point to incorporate these ideas would be:
-Add signatures to certain followups. for example, let Fillia use j.HP instead of j.HK by swiping left in the air, but give only 0-1 other characters this. Other characters could have a charge (hold down on a specific attack) input, or another swipe input from trip or something.
- Add direct player movement. this would require a lot of fine tuning, but adding a smash bros. style "walking vs dashing" system to determine if you move or attack may fit well.
-Allow projectiles or disjointed attacks to break grabs. this would balance grabs out and make command grabs more tolerable.

I posted that back in August. Very little has changed with the controls between then and now, so yeah at this point I would imagine this is final.

I don't see anything wrong with how controls currently work and back in closed beta. Aside from a few bugs I think the controls are fine as is.

So I got a question, rumor says that there has been a soft release in Canada so is it possible to change your settings so your phone thinks your in Canada and download the soft version and then change back to your appropriate area?

So I got a question, rumor says that there has been a soft release in Canada so is it possible to change your settings so your phone thinks your in Canada and download the soft version and then change back to your appropriate area?
It's a convoluted process, I wouldn't recommend it. I heard your purchases in the original region doesn't transfer over or something and your account gets messed up. At least that's for the Apple App Store. Not sure how play store works since I don't own an Android.

Just be patient and wait for the hard launch, you'll be getting a more refined game anyway.

It's a convoluted process, I wouldn't recommend it. I heard your purchases in the original region doesn't transfer over or something and your account gets messed up. At least that's for the Apple App Store. Not sure how play store works since I don't own an Android.

Just be patient and wait for the hard launch, you'll be getting a more refined game anyway.
Alrighty, thank you for the heads up.

Alrighty, thank you for the heads up.
Np, I've played a lot though so feel free to ask me questions you may have about the game. Finished all the story missions and I'm currently level 46.

Not sure how play store works since I don't own an Android.
If the game had soft launched on Android, you can get the game via a similar process to iOS, or you could just download the apk if you can find a reliable, legal source which is next to impossible as well, not recommended due to most apk sites being incredibly shady and full of viruses (which yes exist).
However, there has yet to be a soft launch on Android, otherwise I would have it. It's only on iOS for the moment sadly ;_;

Has there been any updates lately? They seem to have gone quiet on progress.

Has there been any updates lately? They seem to have gone quiet on progress.
I agree with this, they haven't posted once on Twitter since the Skullgirls account mentioned to follow sgmobile. However, the game HAS softlaunched (moisterrific has it, and says that it's about 80% done), and should be done in ~1-2 months.

The soft launch is only available on the App Store of Philippines, Canada, and Netherlands. The last known update was that they're partnering up with Line for distribution and a full launch is scheduled to be in the spring. The soft launch version was released on March 17.

The Android Soft launch has started.

full launch when though

The Android Soft launch has started.
This is the same trailer as the soft launch version on the Canadian App Store. With the only exception they changed the devices shown at the end. It is also interesting to note that there are quite a lot of differences between the trailer and actual game. Also they show Eliza as a playable character when she's currently not playable in 1.1.1.

full launch when though
"Spring" basically any time between now till the end of May. (Assuming they don't delay it anymore)

Does anyone know whatever happened to Arena mode?

Last edited:
Welp, At this rate, I'm cautiously hopeful for sooner then later but I'm not holding my breath for it.

That said, I'm definitely excited

they can delay is as long as they please, as long as it both runs smooth and it's a blast to play. I have time, rushing it never eds well you know

You're right, rushing a product results in a crappy product. But delays don't guarantee that it will be any better, just look at Mighty no 9 and No mans sky. I've played both the SG mobile closed beta and soft launch version a lot, right now v1.1.1 is about 80% complete content wise. But there are still much work needed to be done to improve performance. There aren't that many bugs compared to beta and I've never had the game freeze or crash once.

1 delay wont be bad, excessive delays (over 3) means somethings up.

Let's be real here, having only the finest phones on the market limits the audience that this product aims for, I'm not saying shoot for the lowest common denominator but I'm saying that it won't end well with the future you described

Let's be real here, having only the finest phones on the market limits the audience that this product aims for, I'm not saying shoot for the lowest common denominator but I'm saying that it won't end well with the future you described
I don't expect Skullgirls to run well on a very old and/or cheap phone or tablet. People who can't afford premium devices or can't afford to upgrade their devices every year or every few years obviously won't be spending much money on apps. Another interesting thing to note is that iPhone users on average spend more than Android users on apps, despite there being way more Android phones ever sold than iPhones.

We have reached an agreement if I do say so myself

You're right, rushing a product results in a crappy product. But delays don't guarantee that it will be any better, just look at Mighty no 9 and No mans sky.
No Man's Sky wasn't delayed, it shared a bunch of things still in the "neat ideas" phase.

What was the highest amount of XP you ever got from a fight? Mine was this one, only did it to complete that daily mission that rewards you 60 Theonites for winning a fight against an opponent 4x your fighter score.
IMG_1570.PNG

Little question,

What is the timeline of Skullgirls Mobile story?
Is it a sequel / pre-sequel of Skullgirls 2nd Encore or it is a completly independent story?

???

pre-sequel?

SkullGirls 2nd Encore isn't exactly a sequel to anything. It's just an expansion of the game with some single player stuff.

But to answer your question SG mobile takes place before the events of Skull Girls. Roughly a year or so before. So this is just as Marie is getting hold of the SkullHeart.

Pre-Sequel is a Borderlands reference. It's supposed to mean a sequel that's a prequel. Which is what a prequel is.

No, nobody thought it was clever.

Here are some of the visual differences I found between the App Store/Play Store trailer and the soft launch version of the game (1.1.1). Gameplay wise both look identical, but the user interface in the trailer seems to be a newer or unreleased version since Eliza is playable in the trailer.
Image.jpg

Image.jpg
Image.jpg

I got a odd question but why is the skin 'Resonant Evil' called that? that color scheme is supposedly based off Sterm of Advance Wars infamy.

From what I've been able to gather a bit more polish and optimisation and we'll have a pretty solid mobile game,hopefully they get it to run smoother than it currently is

So I clicked on the link for the Canadian version and it's saying my phone isnt compatible. So does that mean it hasn't released in the US yet or just does my Samsung suck?

So I clicked on the link for the Canadian version and it's saying my phone isnt compatible. So does that mean it hasn't released in the US yet or just does my Samsung suck?
You sort of answered your own question. You can't download stuff from out of your region by normal means.

The soft launch is only available if you're in Canada, Netherlands, or Philippines. Also the game is pretty graphically demanding, I'm getting stutters in some places like the menus and stages and I'm playing on an iPhone 6s.

I think I saw somewhere that you can battle against your friends? I can't find any button that allows me to do that right now, just wondering if it actually exists or will be implemented any time in the near future

I think I saw somewhere that you can battle against your friends? I can't find any button that allows me to do that right now, just wondering if it actually exists or will be implemented any time in the near future
Really? Where'd you see this? I've been playing and keeping a close eye on this game since the beta and I don't recall ever seeing any official sources saying this. There was an arena mode back in beta and the hard launch could make it possible to face off your friends but even so it's still vs. AI.

Really? Where'd you see this? I've been playing and keeping a close eye on this game since the beta and I don't recall ever seeing any official sources saying this. There was an arena mode back in beta and the hard launch could make it possible to face off your friends but even so it's still vs. AI.

yes, it mentioned the arena mode, might've been a tooltip in game, they might want to remove that if it's not included right now (then again, I'm not actually sure where I read this lol)

hopefully in future it will be possible to battle your friends though

yes, it mentioned the arena mode, might've been a tooltip in game, they might want to remove that if it's not included right now (then again, I'm not actually sure where I read this lol)

hopefully in future it will be possible to battle your friends though
Yeah being able to fight your friends in real time would be cool, but given the hardware limitations of current smartphones I doubt we'll see this happen anytime soon. I mean they'd have to figure out how to make the game run at 60fps before diving into real time online multiplayer…

Finally had a chance to download this. I'm in Japan, so I had to go sideways a bit to get it. Here's my simple enough process for Android phones:

1) Download TunnelBear. It's a great VPN app, and it's free.

2) Open TunnelBear, and set your region to Canada. You'll only get 500mb free data from the app, but that's more than enough for this.

3) Open a browser, and go to https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.linecorp.LGGIRLS

4) Download and install Skullgirls. [Do this using the link above in a browser. Do not use the Goople Play Store app.] Do not open Skullgirls yet.

5) Disable / uninstall TunnelBear.

6) Open Skullgirls. It will tell you it needs to download 500MB of update data. Do that.

7) You're done!

Alternatively you can wait until it actually launches in your locale. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: RemiKz