• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls Stage & Background Discussion

I thought if you used less than ~10 seconds of copywritten stuff it was okay, or is that only under fair use?

I'm quite sure companies can be dicks about that anyway. Last what L0 needs are more lawsuits, even if law would be on their side.

It's a real song with licensing fees, not something made for the flash animation, so that is never ever going to happen.

Yeah i guessed that, and beside it would be weird and distracting in the middle of the match. Still, it won't stop the tune from poping up in my head when it happens!

I'm quite sure companies can be dicks about that anyway. Last what L0 needs are more lawsuits, even if law would be on their side.

Company are complete dicks about such things, no doubt. It's really not worth taking a risk. It's already good enough as it is anyway!

I don't think it's dickish for copyright holders to complain about those sorts of things. If Coca-Cola used less than 10 seconds of Skullgirls music in one of their Super Bowl commercials, wouldn't we want the musicians to get a cut somewhere? And shoot, this is the Quad City DJ's we're talking about. They've been cool with so many parodies of their work, that I think they deserve to get those royalty checks every so often (at least, I hope they get them).

A hype train deserves a hype track to ride on though, so I hope it gets something. If Beowulf's hype cheers are heard on every stage, then think of how cool it'll be to hear hype cheering, hype train, and Poccola hype in the same match!

At the very most if this train got a sound bite when it appeared I would probably prefer something like a "Choo choo!" and then vanish. A whole musical cue would be super annoying.

Remember that the Poccola effect is an ongoing thing - it continues for the length of the double snap and then stops.
The Beo cheers are a once off cheer that happens for less than a second then turns off - just enough time to indicate a level of Hype has been reached.
This train is reacting to a burst bait, which is a single quick event - the sound clip should reflect that event, not shit happening in the background.

I am utterly confident that the L0 guys have thought all this shit through though, so I don't really care either way.

the train stage is amazing. and saw some of the "wall art" at 10% speed

Dopefish?!

:PUN:

Also noticed Medici tower way off in the distance. The long train loop really makes me hope they'll fix those impossible buildings one of these days and pass by the current skyline and just have Lorenzo's office just show a massive horizon, like Mr. X's office in Streets of Rage 2. More games need to reference Streets of Rage 2.

sg_convoy
cp_train

coincidence/.?!??////?

More games need to reference Streets of Rage 2.

The way Beowulf play when he grab could be considered as a big reference!

Heh I know the music is only temp, but it strangely works and is enjoyable here for me.

I wanted to discuss an interesting easter egg with the new train stage.

If you pick filia, theres a girl with pink eyes and a pink parasite that looks similar to samson wearing a uniform to filia's school.
HlYh7IH.png

If you pick filia, she is replaced with a seemingly different colored hair version of the same girl but wearing a hat.

0ffbmE3.png

The girl is still there if you pick filia and fukua, so it seems super mysterious to me. The shadow beside her also kinda reminds me of lorenzo.

These images were obtained from the texture files, but they're also visible in the game if you want to look.

Reactions: BallotBoxer
It ain't fukua because she's still there when you pick fukua

Pq05WcM.png

Two Filias confirmed rip blocking ever.

Last edited:
Second Filia clone when.

Second Filia clone when.
Multi-clones?!

Brain Drain must have been busy.

Multi-clones?!

Brain Drain must have been busy.

Nah, clones are like stew. Leave 'em to cook over night and you have enough delicious protein for a week.

Something that bugs me about this stage...and frankly a very small number of other stages, is the disparity between the art style here and the fighters. The fighters have so much color and vibrance to them on this stage, while Filia in the background there is so muted in color. Stage seems to have an overall grayish overlay to it. When you stop to compare them, the fighters don't seem to match the environment's coloring. Hopefully they'll fix this.

If we got Fukua from a typing error let's just move our fingers one more over and we get Fyjya. There.

Let's just have a cat step on the keyboard then, nothing could go wrong!

Let's just have a cat step on the keyboard then, nothing could go wrong!
might even get a new meme out of it.

I wonder if the train Filia is an oversight... the game considers both her and the hobo Filia to be Filia, since they're both removed when Filia is on either players' team. The train stage doesn't swap anything out for Double or Fukua, so it's not those two.

Maybe there is a canon clone now, who knows!!

Reactions: SmashBlade
Filia was actually a twin the entire time

So was Samson

Reactions: SmashBlade
Now I kinda want train Filia to disappear when someone has a Double on their team.

Otherwise, the obvious name for new Filia clone is Gilis

Now I kinda want train Filia to disappear when someone has a Double on their team.

I was pretty confident that it's Double on the train, since default-palette Double has red hair when imitating Filia... but that might just be the lighting.

Maybe the one in the train is AU Monster!Samson's Filia
Or its actually Future Filia after she regains her memories, turns into a badass, and asks/demands Isaac to take her to fix past events.

I just want Filia to be badass for once. And not boring.

Reactions: The Dave
It COULD always just be the usual Filia there as a joke easter egg in itself "hey look we have a second Filia in the other train, how about that"

It COULD always just be there as a joke easter egg in itself "hey look we have a second filia in the other train, how about that"
Lets just change every NPC to Filia-fied versions of them.
Oh god the horror of D. Filia.

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
If we got Fukua from a typing error let's just move our fingers one more over and we get Fyjya. There.

No, what, you want to do is go the other way so you get Fo;oa. That totally works.

Fyjya? I like Gilis

So there are now 3 Filia, including Fukua...
... 3 Filia....
...three......
......Oh I get it:
HALF LIFE 3 IS CONFIRMED

So there are now 3 Filia, including Fukua...
... 3 Filia....
...three......
......Oh I get it:

And i thought you would mention something about the Trinity...

As for Half-life 3, i predict it will popup with Valve new VR console thingy!

Double forgot to pay the electric bill. The golden light in Final Atrium has gone out.

BEFORE
i5LbvND.jpg

AFTER
PxCsH3Y.jpg

I like the colder, darker version of the stage the same as the previous. I mean, the stage was fine the way it was but the hue shift is cool too. It is now more moody and less busy. The golden light made it seem like the catacombs and cathedral were frozen, mid-explosion. Now it it much more somber and paranormal.