• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

So MvC3's coming out on PC...Will People stop playing Skullgirls because of it?

Would you still keep playing Skullgirls after Marvel Vs. Capom's PC release?

• Yeah

Votes: 19 73.1%
  • No

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters

Notkastar

Not a- What?
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Steam
notstardragon
Unknown Squigly Fukua

First let me say I am Extremely excited this game's coming out for PC. Even more so that it'll be my first taste of a Marvel Vs Capcom game and I'm dying to try those awesome combos I see other people do! n_n (Also deadpool looks fun to play ~ w ~)

Though thinking about it's release in March got me thinking.
Since Skullgirls is the 'spiritual successor' to MvC and there's about to be a MvC game released on PC.
Will a large part of the player base of SG just drop out because of it?

I know it's kind of a silly question to ask since Melee still has a HUGE player base after all these years and Brawl and Smash 4 being things. Though, I still thought I should ask to see if I'm not the only one kinda worried that most of the people playing skullgirls today will migrate over to MvC3 once it's out.

Worried because playing this game with other peeps was a ton of fun. ╹‿╹)
(Seeing new playstyle, Learning new strats to fight characters I hate etc.)
And seeing this game turn into another 'Blazblue: Continuum Shift Extend'
with a completely non excited player base would really suck ya know?

you gonna need to add in two more options to that vote man.

"Eh, maybe if they fix the netcode"

and

"WHEN'S MAHVEL BABY?"

Can't wait for bayonetta skins to fight with nude x-23 in HD at 60 fps

Since Skullgirls is the 'spiritual successor' to MvC
Mike didn't set out to make "another MvC." He set out to make a fighting game with team functions that cover for character weaknesses, and easy combos. MvC2 was the closest to that of existing FGs, and why throw out the wheel?
Will a large part of the player base of SG just drop out because of it?
UMvC3 ain't exactly the 3rd Strike of this subgenre.

Skullgirls and UMvC3 are different games in so many respects.

Aside from the many differences in gameplay, the communities of the two games couldn't be at more opposite points right now.

The former is a much more small, independent, and growing community. SG just had its biggest year two years in a row and this year looks to continue that trend. It's relatively young game to most players as it had a "rebirth" with the PC release/Encore and has been growing ever since. It's very much a "word of mouth" title and the studio behind it doesn't show any interest in replacing it for quite some time.

In contrast, the latter was mega popular at launch and is mainstream title by the biggest company in the FGC and one of the biggest in video games. It reached its peak early on and has been steady declining for years. Sure it is now coming out for modern consoles, but the PS4 version is already standard and it hasn't really seen the community become any more active. Hell, online for the game is already pretty dead. And unlike Skullgirls, it isn't likely that there will be a huge PC community to jump into it. A big reason why Skullgirls became so popular on PC is because there were no other modern 2D fighters on the PC at that time outside of the terrible (UI and QoL wise not performance) Games for Windows Street Fighter IV ports. More important is that Marvel is already a very established scene. There is no "word of mouth" for Marvel, it is one of the dominate scenes in the FGC. There are likely few holdouts who don't already own the game, even less so for people who exclusively game on the PC. Finally, and possibly the most important is that Marvel is getting a new game this year which will replace UMvC3, at least for the rest of the year. What's more is that this game is even more different from Skullgirls than UMvC3 is due to it being 2v2 rather than 3v3 and lacking assists.

Being honest, the only thing these two games have in common are: being 3v3, having assists, long combos, and having their roots from MvC2. Outside of that they are very different.

I'm just stoked for its release cuz it means we can start working on a fan patch to balance the game woot

I'm just stoked for its release cuz it means we can start working on a fan patch to balance the game woot
Hehe, that would be cool. Huge undertaking though.

Well assuming it's almost certainly gonna be Windows-only, I guess I won't be playing it.

Not really a fan of infinites and unblockables anyway, and none of the top tiers appeal to me.

UMvC3 is an unbalanced casual game of fun...but it over SG I always go SG. Maybe if MvC3 was more balanced I'd give it more of a go...but I just can't stand running into the same team 100x times online so I'll just stear clear.

Even if you were to consider Skullgirls a "Marvel sequel" you've completely missed a lot of the reasons MvC 2 was good and 3 was bad in terms of design and function that SG actually learned from.

You can play both.

The people who find UMVC3 is more their speed than Skullgirls, fine. Let them enjoy the games they want to enjoy

The people who need a reason to stop playing Skullgirls will find one, regardless of UMVC3.

The people who like Skullgirls will keep playing it.

Some play more than one game.

Skullgirls is not a substitute for UMVC3. UMVC3 is not a substitute for Skullgirls.

You're worried about a minority of people, for.. whatever reason, I guess

EDIT: You don't even know if the port is good yet. what if it sucks. what if it's released on Windows 10 only? What if it doesn't take general joypads? What if it has input lag? What if you need an xbox account? What if it has bugs on launch?

EDIT2: If you think these games compete for the same userbase, I'm kind of sad. If you also think games compete for this one small niche area per genre and you can only play one, that's also sad. The FGC is a huge testament to how people can enjoy similar genre games and still excel, enjoy them all, instead of "Picking"

mvc3 is way too broken
It's literal 1 hit kills every time. Too much broken stuff like TAC infinites, Lightning loops, X-factor 3 vergil.... It desperately needed a balance patch. It also has terrible netcode. It's a game heavily based on crisp movement and having so much input delay online completely ruins it

Reactions: MegaMix
Beyond even the balance or the horrific mechanics, MVC3's moveset design is complete shit. Too much is too safe, no room for creativity or psyche-gimmicks, garbage rock-paper-scissors is all it is.

I can't even watch tournament play anymore because it's the same shit over and over.

I still can't believe modern Capcom managed to top themselves by making even worse games. Wonder if they'll do it again with MvcI.

EDIT: You don't even know if the port is good yet. what if it sucks. what if it's released on Windows 10 only? What if you need an xbox account?
It's already confirmed on steam not for win10 thanksfully!!

Wow, A lot of things happen while I was out o_o)

It's not that i was saying Skullgirls was the unofficial squeal.
(Used the word spiritual successor to sum up how they have similar mechanics in a timely fashion without me having to 'Really' get into how to two are different because I'm lazy I guess)
Just asking since a game that has a lot of similar mechanics to SG is finally coming out PC,
Will a large part of SG's online community fade out because of it?

Now I'm not saying "Hey, You Gotta Play One Or The Other FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!"
because that's just not true. Sooner or later your gonna get bored of one and move to the other
but I'm just asking since the games going to be released soon and IF the stars aline and
the netcodes pretty decent and etc etc. Will a sizable portion of the SG community; like any
other community out there, Start picking up that one and play SG less as a result.

Sorry if it came off as I was saying Skullgirls was some kind of knock off of MvC3.
It isn't, It's it's own game and should be treated as such. Just thought SG would be
the most effected community wise since the two games were so similar in appearance.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's basically what I said. They are two very different games, with very different communities, and very different histories. They also seem like they will have very different futures as well as Marvel 3 will most likely be dropped if Infinite is half decent while Skullgirls will be around until Lab Zero makes a sequel.

This is kind of like asking "Now that Guilty Gear Xrd -Revelator- is coming to PCs, what will happen to Melty Blood?"

Last edited:
You're asking the same question again. The answer is still the same.

Skullgirls has gained players over the years, and UMvC3 has lost players.

Ask yourself why that is. It's gonna be fine.

note: as much as am happy this game is FINALLY getting a PC release, the netcode is absolute garbage, so there's really no reason to get the PC version anyway

Sorry, vanished again. Jobs an what not. Anyway

You're asking the same question again.
Yeah and That's my bad, The first replies up there made me think I didn't word things correctly since they thought I believed that SG was the actual squeal to Mavel vs. whatever, That the two games had absolutely everything in command and no unique features in one or the other, that you have to play one or the other for the rest of your life and That businesses are actually competing for these players as if they make up a large part of the base of there company etc. Though the best way for me to clear things up would be to start over from the top.

I was more or less just asking something along the lines of: There's another fighting game hitting the PC market that has similar features this this game, Is this something I should be worried about when it comes to future online play?

Following that train of thought I thought I might as well get a ball park figure with a question at the top and get a poll going.
(Looking back on it now, I worded the question up there horribly | |)

Though all that aside, great to see this isn't something I needed to be worried about seeing
how many peeps are will stand up for this game. =)