• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Robo-Fortune SPOILERS - Robo-Fortune Story Mode Discussion

BallotBoxer

you're gonna carry that salt
Reaction score
Filia Peacock Big Band
beep... boop... meow...
vVT2iyn.jpg

Robo-Fortune joins the pantheon of robots in fighting games! Pictured from left to right: Fulgore (Killer Instinct), Alisa Bosconovitch (Tekken), Robo-Ky (Guilty Gear), Robo-Fortune (Skullgirls), ARIA (Killer Instinct), Jack (Tekken), Hom (Tobal No.1)

Initiate HYPE sequence
[█████████████████████████████]
L O A D I N G . . .

Welcome to the Robo-Fortune Story Mode Discussion. Like with Eliza and Beowulf, this thread exists to funnel all your speculation and eventually, upon release, spoiler-filled conversation of Robo-Fortune's story mode.

D-D-DANGER!
Final spoiler warning. This thread will be like a minefield of spoilers. But the mines are shaped like cat heads that murmur and natter in memes and the Greek alphabet in hollow, metallic voices.

What is Robo-Fortune?
Two years ago, during the IndieGoGo funding campain called Keep Skullgirls Growing, a stretch-goal voice pack was transformed into a full, playable remix character when funds soared past $750,000.
Robo-Fortune is a robot created by Brain Drain in the likeness of Nadia Fortune.

Brain Drain
Beyond Painwheel's story mode, this is what is known about the metal mad scientist via the canon info thread:
- Before Brain Drain was rebuilt as a robot, he was less shiny and more opaque (lol)
- Brain Drain is younger than Avian. He has been a member of the Labs for a long time
- Brain Drain was the only “successful” psychic soldier, meaning that the other psychic solders were unstable. The destruction of Lab 7 was caused by the instability of some of these soldiers. There is a particular psychic soldier which is relevant to the story right now which has not been named yet.
- If anyone else gets a canon robot version, it would probably be made by Brain Drain
Speaking of Brain Drain...

Leaked story mode teaser image
ZhCGkYi.png

A1jaTil.jpg
A Brain Drain themed Gundam on a desk. Art by Willy Hwang (check out his blog)
source: Alex Ahad's twitter
Probably Brain Drain's desk. We got a Braindam, a desk lamp, an ashtray full of stubbed-out cigarettes, and a metal part (piston?) being used as a paperweight.

Robots vs. Cyborgs
BGM: Robots - Flight of the Conchords
Unlike Peacock or Big Band who are part human, Robo-Fortune is completely machine. Since R.Fortune is programmed and modeled after a female feral, the use of feminine pronouns (she, her) seems more appropriate than "it." In Sci-Fi genre terms, she'd be a "gynoid" although the term "android" has been eroding to include robots of either gender.

Color Clues
For most of the cast, the #7 palette is significant to story mode. However, Robo-Fortune falls into the outsider category shared by Ms. Fortune and Fukua: external reference. Robo-Fortune's #7 is KOS-MOS (Xenosaga). So take from that what you will.

- - - - - - - -
(I think) Robo-Fortune will come out this month, July 2015! She's legal for EVO (two weeks from now) and the pre-order expires on the 31st so all signs point to SOON™. So get your story mode speculation in before it is time to sap every element from the official release. This may be the final glimpse into the Skullgirls universe for a while!

Mods, please annihilate this thread with a level 5 Theonite beam if I have overstepped the bounds of propriety by starting this early discussion!

pbqhy1g.gif
"Please accept my friend request"

SO many questions about R. Fortune, but for what i've seen here, she is part of the canon, unlike fukua, that is cool. I want to see the story reasons why brain drain would make a robot based on Ms. Fortune.

I'm betting it all on Robo Kitty's story mode to follow Robo Ky's story. She'll butt heads with Brain Drain, make tons of jokes and will mistake Ms. Fortune as her long lost twin sister. Robotic high jinks will ensue.

Since this is the "last" piece of story content, I hope there's some interesting reveals.

Reactions: Shockdingo
I wonder if it's going to touch Marie's revival in Eliza's Story Mode Ending.

inb4 Eliza's blood Kaiju vs Marie Skull Mecha vs Brain Drain mecha

What would be more funny? If it ends up with Lab Zero's office. I mean Robo-Fortune was a joke, wasn't she?

Most likely the egotistical Brain Drain himself.

Wait if that pic is canon who in Lab0 smokes
Gave this a bit of thought as well.

Brain Drain: the hell does he even enter it. Plus I assumed the only part of his body that is not destroyed is his brain. Unless alike Star Wars' General Grievous he still has some of his vital organs including the lungs functional. In which case I'm headcanoning him having a cool robotic cough (and a CD USB cigarette slot somewhere,).

Valentine: Her likes mention alcohol. Nothing about smokes in either lieks in dislikes. I can see her experimenting with all sorts of stimulants, though that full tray suggests someone already heavy into it, and I guess adding a smoking habit to Val now would be pretty random.

Other option: Some former Last Hope members? Probably not, I don't the feeling this scene is a flashback, plus we're not really sure how involved in Lab 0 were they, if at all. Mostly mentioning it as I can for some reason picture Easter being a smoker.

Wild guess: Brain Drain is described as second-in-command of Lab 0. It's been speculated (confirmed?) that the one running it is Dr Geiger, the founder of ASG Lab as a whole. Who knows, maybe we'll get to see him (or just his desk while he's talking from the shadows) for the first time?

you know the girls sit in the stairwell and pass that shit

Reactions: chickenwithtie
What if Robo Kitty just wants to be a real cat girl and is just trying to enjoy intaking nicotine?

I can't see any of the Last Hope members smoking, since it's not conducive to being a super fit, agile ninja nurse. We don't see Valentine coughing her lungs up after every fight. Execpt for maybe Easter like Muro suggested, although I've always liked the idea that she was as stealthy as the rest of L0 despite her size. Maybe Christmas smoked, and Brain Drain kept the ashtray on his desk as a gross, ashy reminder of her lol.

Initially, I was like no way would Brain Drain be a smoker, especially if he's only got a brain left. But the idea of a mostly robotic cyborg having an addiction/withdrawal symptoms sounds kind of cool. If he was addicted to nicotine before becoming roboticised, that dependency would be preserved. An egotistical supervillian with a superiority complex having such a shameful 'human' weakness could be a cool personality extra for him idk.

Plus him smoking e-cigarettes would totally fit his fedora-vibey, edgelord, deadzoned by Christmas fan personality.

Plus him smoking e-cigarettes would totally fit his fedora-vibey, edgelord, deadzoned by Christmas fan personality.

+1 for mouth fedora, studies into vape technology produced Fukua's love dart wraiths

So I wonder if Robo fortune will fight Eliza at all? I say this because I noticed a trend with DLC characters appearing in the DLC stories (Big band in Beowulf's story, Squigly In Eliza's). Maybe RF is trying to Rescue Ms Fortune? Considering she's probably the only in the cast without actual blood she could stand a chance. Does Eliza or RF have any unique intro lines?

Reactions: Shockdingo
So I wonder if Robo fortune will fight Eliza at all? I say this because I noticed a trend with DLC characters appearing in the DLC stories (Big band in Beowulf's story, Squigly In Eliza's). Maybe RF is trying to Rescue Ms Fortune? Considering she's probably the only in the cast without actual blood she could stand a chance. Does Eliza or RF have any unique intro lines?

Eliza said:
A mockery of Bastet's children! I shall not suffer it!

Robo-Fortune said:
WARNING: An huge villain is approaching early!
...Therapy session COMPLETE.

So, I'd say "probably not."

Only on Skull Heart will I see people making a big deal about a FUCKING ASHTRAY.

wtf is that, nvm I don't care

I hope Robo comes with a lot of science lore, since she's powered by Theonite I bet we'll get a lot of info about that exactly that shit is and what it does.

Reactions: Kuzlalala
Joke fell flat forget about it.

Anyway yeah I hope we finally figure out what thermite is exactly instead of it being some impossible answer for everything (I.e Nanomacmines, son.)

I want to see R. Fortune killing brain drain in her ending, i just want to see this guy dead, look at what he did to poor Carol

Reactions: Magma442
i aint sayin you're wrong, but it was really mostly valentine there
Well, she needs to die too, but since in almost every story mode someone beat the shit out of her, i'm almost satisfied, but brain drain is there, impune.

Welllllllll, Valentine did the kidnapping while Brain Drain did most of the work. I say Painwheel is mostly his crime/creation.
Painwheel's official bio said:
Once a normal schoolgirl named Carol, Painwheel was kidnapped by Valentine and delivered to the Anti-Skullgirls Labs’ secretive Lab Zero. There she was implanted with the synthetic Buer Drive and Gae Bolga parasites and infused with experimental Skullgirl blood, transforming her into the monster she is today. Violent and unstable as a result of these experiments, as a precaution she’s mentally controlled by Lab Zero’s powerful psychic director, Brain Drain.

When you have the characters on your team, Robo-Fortune has this to say about them:
  • Rogue unit! (Switching out with Painwheel)
  • Traitor! (Switching out with Valentine)
Theonite power for Robo-Fortune is certainly an interesting choice in Anti-Skullgirl arms race happening between Lab 8 and Lab 0. Two opposing philosophies: metaphorically, Brain Drain is choosing to fight fire with fire and Avian is choosing to fight fire with water.

The Skullgirl's immense power seems to be Theonite-based. Over in Lab 8, Dr. Avian's creations are equipped with Theonite detection equipment (Big Band follows Theonite readings all over town and Peacock is woken by Avery's squawking an alert "The Theonite Resonance Detector is picking up a huge reaction downtown!") to hunt the Skullgirl.

Dr. Avian even innovated a way to counter the Skullgirl, as he explained to Hive and Leduc about Peacock's features:

Dr. Avian: The Argus System not only lets her see everything, but the eyes also generate powerful Z-rays at the precise wavelength needed to disrupt a Skullgirls's essence.

Meanwhile in Lab 0, Brain Drain uses the Skullgirl's abilities against her. Painwheel has Skullgirl blood in her veins. Robo-Fortune uses Theonite beams.

Robo-Fortune after winning against Peacock said:
Lab 8 in-fur-ior. Lab 0 su-purr-ior.

given that robo is the "last" piece of story content in the expected future, i really hope there's some reveals.

not even major stuff, just interesting things. like she'd have files on the whole cast with in-depth information.

or just a GPS so we can have a SG world map (with names) and isn't a blank land mass in the multiplayer menu background or that vague old old map from the SkullgirlS days.

Pffffffttt Are you guys kidding? They are not going to explain anything in Robo Kitty's story. Just more hints and vague events for people to try to string together in a desperate attempt to make the lore deeper. I am reminded of someone who does that all the time, but his name escapes me.

Personally I'm fine with the story as it is, soulfully focused on the characters and their adventure to defeat the Skull Girl.

I am reminded of someone who does that all the time, but his name escapes me.
David Cage?

We will probably get a teaser image for her story mode at todays AX panel like we did with Eliza's last year. That was AX right?

I'm betting it all on Robo Kitty's story mode to follow Robo Ky's story. She'll butt heads with Brain Drain, make tons of jokes and will mistake Ms. Fortune as her long lost twin sister. Robotic high jinks will ensue.

Nah, Lab 0 is better than just Ctrl-C>Ctrl-V already stablished stories.

I am imagining which tune the story will play. Comedy? Tragic? Light-hearted? Dark?

What will set it will ber her relation with Lab 0.

i think you kinda missed the joke but whatever, cause we're going to find out about the Com"purr"ter Cat and her story when she comes out of the Lab Zero Launching Bay.

like so.

If she's a female robot then maybe she can make a wish on the skullheart. If so then maybe she'll try to make herself into a real cat girl.

Reactions: Cas Chronon
Yeah it's time for a DLC character to actually wish on the Skull Heart.

Reactions: Loyf
i think you kinda missed the joke but whatever, cause we're going to find out about the Com"purr"ter Cat and her story when she comes out of the Lab Zero Launching Bay.

like so.
Damn it. I missed it so bad!

So I guess it is Mecha Fortune vs Mega Maid vs Kaiju Eliza?

If she's a female robot then maybe she can make a wish on the skullheart. If so then maybe she'll try to make herself into a real cat girl.
Kind of a...Pinocchio story?

Gave this a bit of thought as well.

Brain Drain: the hell does he even enter it. Plus I assumed the only part of his body that is not destroyed is his brain. Unless alike Star Wars' General Grievous he still has some of his vital organs including the lungs functional. In which case I'm headcanoning him having a cool robotic cough (and a CD USB cigarette slot somewhere,).
Oh crap, your post just gave me an idea. What if this story mode gives some real insight into BD's background as well? What if that's from a flashback to before the accident and the toy is something he had around his desk, but upon his accident, he reverts to his (chldhood?Adolescent?Adult?) love of robots, and bases his appearances on his desk toy, then carries forward his interest in robots once he has the resources to make a past interest and fantasy a reality?

edit:
Initially, I was like no way would Brain Drain be a smoker, especially if he's only got a brain left. But the idea of a mostly robotic cyborg having an addiction/withdrawal symptoms sounds kind of cool. If he was addicted to nicotine before becoming roboticised, that dependency would be preserved. An egotistical supervillian with a superiority complex having such a shameful 'human' weakness could be a cool personality extra for him idk.
That actually could be very interesting and add to his personality. It would be interesting if its a habit he hid - I can imagine him going on about "surpassing humanity" this, surpassing humanity that, but secretly, he can't let go of his human addiction, so it's something that relentlessly gnaws at his psyche and further inspires his creation of robots. His "children" must improve on the originals at all costs.

Last edited:
I want to see what kind of character development will R. Fortune have...

I can imagine her story mode as way to tell brain drain story, but maybe she have something? maybe she develops free will, who knows.