• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Squigly and Painwheel Synergy

Dolphin-Dude

Rapier-Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steam
Creepy Cole
PSN
Creepy Cole
Squigly Parasoul Eliza
I recently decided to jump on the benefits of using an actual team. While solo Squigly can put out fantastic damage and even kill someone in one go with a provided reset, the benefit of a lockdown assist seems necessary. I recently picked up Painwheel and have absolutely fallen in love with her rush-down game. However, while I'm set on using drag n' bite for painwheel mixups, I'm not sure what would be best for a painwheel assist. I've considered using cr.mp, or cruel Lily, as a lockdown assist. Also, I know Squigly is a fantastic character to use on point, but would there be any benefit to putting painwheel on front and Squigly second? I've gotten quite comfortable with running Squigly by herself, so I'm sure she wouldn't be a problem. Feel free to leave any criticism or feedback, as I am a rather new player of Skullgirls. -Cole

I've actually been playing this team a bit in casuals lately. Squigly c.HP is a good assist for most characters but I think it's particularly good for Painwheel. After your jump in j.MP or whatever is blocked you can either fly cancel and go overhead again or call Squigly and go low. I haven't figured out what the Painwheel assist should be, I'm using c.MP because idk that's what I always use.

Squigly + Pinion Dash assist is real.

I've actually been playing this team a bit in casuals lately. Squigly c.HP is a good assist for most characters but I think it's particularly good for Painwheel. After your jump in j.MP or whatever is blocked you can either fly cancel and go overhead again or call Squigly and go low. I haven't figured out what the Painwheel assist should be, I'm using c.MP because idk that's what I always use.

Another fun thing to do is during a bnb after you do a string that ends with s.hp you input flight with a Squigly c.hp macro and then delay your jumping attack from flight. The Squigly c.hp assist will hit first but people will be expecting a high from Painwheel.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
I experimented a lot with assists from both characters and I settled with Drag'n Bite and Cruel Lilly.
When I have PW on point the mix-up I use the most is sHK (as soon as the third hit connects)- plink flight and assist. With this you can cross under, fly away to bait mashed lights/throws or a air-grab before the assist hits. Even if they block you can follow Squigly for a last side-to-side mix-up. You can also do some neat things like after an air combo letting they fall into the assist or using it for combo extensions.
When I have Squigs on point I do a Seria Cancel - instant 9j.LP -plink assist. With this you can cross-up, hop back with j.MP, divekick from both sides, L.divekick - low/throw/overhead, H.divekick for overhead, etc. I also use Cruel Lilly to allow me to combo s.HP into unchargerd Liver Mortis for the sliding knock-down.
As in who do you put first, both can work. The main thing for Squigs point is that you'll have an easier time getting charges and the DHC into Install. For PW is that she doesn't require as much meter as squigs and she benefits more from an assist. But DHCing into Squigly might be a pain since Deathcrawl only combos into SBO in the corner so mid screen you'll need to use Buer Thresher.
You can add me on Steam if you want me to show more stuff.
EDIT: As of now I run PW point but alternate between the two for some match-ups that I just don't wanna deal with.

Last edited:
I experimented a lot with assists from both characters and I settled with Drag'n Bite and Cruel Lilly.
When I have PW on point the mix-up I use the most is sHK (as soon as the third hit connects)- plink flight and assist. With this you can cross under, fly away to bait mashed lights/throws or a air-grab before the assist hits. Even if they block you can follow Squigly for a last side-to-side mix-up. You can also do some neat things like after an air combo letting they fall into the assist or using it for combo extensions.
When I have Squigs on point I do a Seria Cancel - instant 9j.LP -plink assist. With this you can cross-up, hop back with j.MP, divekick from both sides, L.divekick - low/throw/overhead, H.divekick for overhead, etc. I also use Cruel Lilly to allow me to combo s.HP into unchargerd Liver Mortis for the sliding knock-down.
As in who do you put first, both can work. The main thing for Squigs point is that you'll have an easier time getting charges and the DHC into Install. For PW is that she doesn't require as much meter as squigs and she benefits more from an assist. But DHCing into Squigly might be a pain since Deathcrawl only combos into SBO in the corner so mid screen you'll need to use Buer Thresher.
You can add me on Steam if you want me to show more stuff.
EDIT: As of now I run PW point but alternate between the two for some match-ups that I just don't wanna deal with.
I appreciate everyone who took the time to reply, I've decided just to run with cruel lily and Drag N' Bite, as Daemyx stated the two both offer great lockdown and mixup potential. With the provided free time, I would love for any veteran (or someone who's generally familiar with the game) to teach me a thing or two on steam. Your perfectly welcome to add me, and probably body me every match. -Cole

I'm a PW(who cares)/Squig user

For PW: Cruel lily is the generic go-to. It works. It locks down. It is okay. Pinion with a Squigs does a lot of work since Squigs can generally zone in the air as she pleases. Finally, I run throw as an all-purpose. People have a habit of blocking when an assist pops out. Throw assist punishes that every time.

I really think you ought to try 2hp though. Drag 'n bite is okay, but it is a basic lock down assist that can be done just as well with another character. Meanwhile, 2hp is a lock down that hits low. So now you have high/low threats on top of cross-up threats. I'm pretty rusty as I've been trying out some other fighters, but I'd be glad to hop in a match and try to show you how frustrating PW/Squig(2hp) can be.

Finally, some generic advice on the team:

You are missing something. Namely neither Squigs nor PW have good reversal options and in a game that is 50% "fish for a dp assist confirm", you're going to notice it still. That said, any assist is better than no assist, so you're plight from solo Squigs will feel a tad better.

Some other considerations depending on your team order is that Squig needs meter to keep people honest and PW needs it for air reversals (well any reversal tbh). Neither are monster meter builders, so you're likely goign to feel meter starved... a lot. The remedy to this (especially with PW) is to go for fast, short, reset heavy combos. Seriously, if I land a combo after a j.mp, I'm realistically looking to reset in the next 5 or so hits as her multihit airnormals scale the combo down to way below average damage and meter gain (on top of giving a buttload to your opponent).

Anyway, add me. qspec on Steam

Reactions: TheCrankMachine