• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Squigly Match-up Thread

Adeveis

Guy
Reaction score
Steam
Adeveis
PSN
Adeveis
Parasoul Squigly Big Band
I saw no match up thread so I decided to make one. Currently I don't feel like voicing my opinion, so someone else can start asking "what do I do against character x". I'll get in to this maybe later on today.

What do I do vs Peacock + lock-down assist , if I don't have charge or meter ?

Use an assist that can give you space to charge a stance, like H Lock And Load. Or mash grab and cancel into a stance charge when it hits.

Use an assist that can give you space to charge a stance, like H Lock And Load. Or mash grab and cancel into a stance charge when it hits.
Charging does nothing if you can't get close to them. And center stage only does so much and requires meter. Since everyone always asks this....I'll put up my thing on it later...-_- lol I've written about peacock & squigs like 60 times lolll it's in the beginners thingy somewhere

Here, all your questions answered: http://skullgirls.com/forums/index.php?threads/anti-peacock-help.978/

Its a fact that guns are super effective againts zombies

Believe it or not squigly vs peacock wasn't a big problem for me. maybe because of the peacock nerf. All I do though, is double jump and block til I have a chance to do silver chord or am in range for j.hp to just barely overhead her and call assist. If I have a lvl2 center stage, i use it as soon as i see a bomb toss. I never tested this on the big peacock players ciscokid and tjgamer, but the many i went up against this works on them.

Its a fact that guns are super effective againts zombies
.........seriously....-_-
Believe it or not squigly vs peacock wasn't a big problem for me. maybe because of the peacock nerf. All I do though, is double jump and block til I have a chance to do silver chord or am in range for j.hp to just barely overhead her and call assist. If I have a lvl2 center stage, i use it as soon as i see a bomb toss. I never tested this on the big peacock players ciscokid and tjgamer, but the many i went up against this works on them.
yeah the thing with peacock is to be patient. That's it. Don't get flustered and keep jumping around, blocking & doing your thing and you'll soon find things not being hard at all. All you essentially need is one hit and you're in. Reset a couple times and shits easy. And if your divekick keeps getting pushblocked, hook it up with j.mk & divekick when you feel the time is right when you're grinding that chain.

Horizontal assist xx lvl 1 sing. Suddenly you're in on Peacock (and anyone else) for no meter.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
vs PC, I just double jump with a jumping fierce whenever I know I'm jumping between an Air Show with jumping strongs or lk dive kicks to avoid assist calls. There's a lot of playing and getting hit involved to learn spacing, but it's very doable. Parasoul feels way harder for me, to the point that i've just given up and started running PS on point and getting a mirror rather than leading with Squigly

I mentioned this in another thread but I still need help as Squigly against Filia lol. People gave me some good tips for how to defend against her IAD pressure but I still need help figuring out how to approach her. My basic flowchart with Squigly is j.HP when I'm far away, j.LK if I'm close and I think they'll jump, and divekick if I'm close and I don't think they'll jump. I don't feel like I can do any of those things vs Filia cause her j.HP blows up all 3 of those options (the j.LK one is the most frustrating, that button is magic against everyone else but against Filia I feel like I can't use it at all). I need... more different options.

Try j.MP? Haven't thoroughly tested it, but the momentum shift and hitbox should help with spacing against j.HP... At least, on paper. If they're the type that recklessly IADs, Silver Chord.

s.mp can often beat, or at least trade, with j.hp off filia. If you play beta, charged DP is too gud. At neutral, i make heavy use of double jumps and j.mp to mess with my trajectory.

Reactions: RetroStation
Try j.MP? Haven't thoroughly tested it, but the momentum shift and hitbox should help with spacing against j.HP... At least, on paper. If they're the type that recklessly IADs, Silver Chord.
I mean I'll use j.MP defensively to beat out her IADs, it's a good button, the issue is I can't really convert off it. If I wanna get in there and do some crazy... combos... I need a more different button. Silver Chord is an idea, I was actually thinking the other day how I don't really use that enough. I'll give that a shot.
s.mp can often beat, or at least trade, with j.hp off filia. If you play beta, charged DP is too gud. At neutral, i make heavy use of double jumps and j.mp to mess with my trajectory.
Again s.MP/DP are more like tools you'd use defensively, like I'm not gonna dash in and DP in their face. Well actually I have done that but it's not my go to option, you know. And like the double jumping/changing trajectory stuff works for me in other matchups but since Filia's j.HP has such a disjointed hitbox above her it tends to beat out my divekicks/j.HKs/whatever.

Silver Chord is your best friend against IADs; the hit box is bigger than it looks, so even if they're airborne, they'll get caught if they're low enough.

Silver Chord is your best friend against IADs; the hit box is bigger than it looks, so even if they're airborne, they'll get caught if they're low enough.
It is nice for sure. Just don't use it too much against filia. She's not the one you wanna whiff on as squigly

In my opinion, Parasoul is a really bad matchup for Squigly, because Parasoul can shut down Squigly's air game pretty well. When you play as Squigly against Parasoul, I recommend using Center Stage Seria + LM Battle Opera when Parasoul gets to spam Napalm Shots against you. When Parasoul has 3 meters, watch out for Inferno Brigrade, her level 3 move, which can punish Squigly's Battle Opera.

Last edited:
@mcpeanuts
I never noticed Filia j.hp beats your options. I'll have to test that later. As for how to be aggressive against Filia, it all depends on your spacing. If your like near fullscreen you could center stage call assist to start pressure. Midrange just stay grounded. If you're getting beat out in the air fight on the ground. they jump in hp or whatever you can dp it every time. You need meter the combo though but if you don't have it then you could use liver mortis. Its alittle iffy to time sometimes but there are plenty of assists you could use to combo off it. The other option is just jump higher than her since you can double jump. They could hairball but I think divekick beats that (usually they just whiff their air normal and i hit them, none have canceled to hairball). Just throwing out stuff I usually do but like i said, I never had this problem.

Parasoul can punish your jump ins but you can punish hers easily to. You have five options when ever she jumps in j.lp or whatever. Easiest is daisy pusher or mh opera. No meter (or just stingy) draugen punch, liver mortis, and even arpegio can work if she is close. You reacted too late to do your stance moves so use s.mp. All methods have been tested.

good parasouls don't need to get in vs squigly. Personally, I only go in if I'm behind and they've got a punch charge. Between assists, tears, and shots I only ever jump i squigly is also airborne. If they try and daisy pusher on reaction, i can throw tears while airborne to delay my fall and get a free punish. Until Squigly can Center Stage xx Opera I have no fear. Even worse, if I can push towards the corner, you can't even use that option.

Parasoul can't use the tear/j.mp delay if you wait for the j.hp to go a litle lower(at least according to sev), so daisy pusher is still a decent option against her imo. It's one of the few matchups I like to use it a lot against. Parasoul tear spam is annoying, but it's not really that hard to get a charge. It's a bit more difficult with a big band/anti air assist, sure, but you can still get it without too much hassle. Also since SBO eats tears sometimes it's worth it to just burn the meter and run in.

I'm not really sure about Filia, I like pushblocking into SBO when I block a j.hk or j.hp(something to that effect) but without meter i'm not really sure what else I can use against her. I was thinking of messing around with arpeggio.

I also just want to throw out that although you can go straight into SBO/Daisy Pusher with level 2 Sing, you can still make some stuff happen with level 1 sing. I'm not saying it's always a good option (and I would argue most of the time it isn't) but I think people need to stop acting like Sing is unusable until you get a charge on it.

Unless used as an assist, or used in conjunction w/ one, Lv1 Sing is bad on its own. And if you have no assists to cover you, it IS unusable unless you get a charge on it.

Lv1 Sing (compared to Lv2):
  • No hitstop (meaning Sing xx SBO/Daisy is impossible)
  • Doesn't create artificial corners, so Throw xx Lv1 Sing won't work
  • NO HITSTOP (you need Lv2 Sing for mid-screen double snaps; given recent double snap changes, this is important)

you can still SBO after sing at level 1, you just have to catch them offgaurd

I just find Lv2 to be more consistent because of hitstop. With Lv1, you have to account for Sing time + SBO startup. So unless they're doing something hella unsafe at full-screen, they can still either block, or find an invul move to ghost through it. And if that invul move happens to hit, there goes SBO.

I honestly wouldn't even call use of level 1 sing into a blocked SBO a bad thing, since you still get a mixup off of that. I still think it's good in some situations. Obviously you can do more with a level 2 charge.

right, though i would say lvl1 sing + SBO is good enough to counter projectile specials such as luger and george

Quick question, now that Peacock's mentioned: Does SBO also counter item drop?

Quick question, now that Peacock's mentioned: Does SBO also counter item drop?
i think so getting hit by anything cancels item drop

I meant the item itself... does it get eaten by SBO like Tears and Georges do?

I meant the item itself... does it get eaten by SBO like Tears and Georges do?
the item disapears if peacock gets hit.

the item disapears if peacock gets hit.
You're still not answering my question...

Does the projectile ITSELF get nullified if it comes into contact with SBO?

ohhhhh ok, i actually don't know, but does it matter really? if you plan on using SBO as a shield against it i dont think it would work as Squigly's hurtbox is taller than the hitbox of SBO

Not even if it's LKHK Opera? That's what I had in mind. And depending on my own positioning, it'd also block air Georges.

Not even if it's LKHK Opera? That's what I had in mind. And depending on my own positioning, it'd also block air Georges.
idk why you would want to do that, squigly can easily double jump over george and lk "fallen woman" down to safety

Because I still have Item Drop to worry about?

Because I still have Item Drop to worry about?
just tested it out SBO sheilds against item drop,

Wait...SBO protects against a FULL STRENGTH item? Like piano? & even steamroller? What about those spiked ball thingies?

And lvl 1 sing is tremendously helpful. When an opponent is down on the ground use sing to bring them within a short dash of you. Most of the time they'll want to jump & if you poke them (you'll just barely need to do so), then that's a full combo right there. ORRR you can jump yourself & do H divekick if you got da balls or j.mk for a nice little attack that has to be pushblocked just right...not including you being able to divekick after :) if the opponent is on the ropes, doing lvl 1 sing > battle opera for good block stun is great & typically allows for 2 mixup opportunities or 1 if their pushblocking is on point.

But I guess if I had to give my two cents on matchups...wait a second...I think I actually wrote some down on paper for that guide I've had in hibernation.

I'll check and see & update if no ones posted after this one.

it only blocks the first hit of tenrai ha, the balls will fall after the SBO super dissapears

@Dolfinh
You can use arpegio against iad from filia you just have to be preemptive. s.mp, liver mortis, and draugen punch also work but same problem. Honestly j.mp is a much better option.

@Dolfinh
You can use arpegio against iad from filia you just have to be preemptive. s.mp, liver mortis, and draugen punch also work but same problem. Honestly j.mp is a much better option.
Makes sense, but my thought proccess was if you could hit arpegio vs an iad you should be able to convert off it with sbo.

Ok so I fought tjgamer today with squigly/double. The score was 10-7 in his favor. Against his peacock I found that most of the hits i was getting off on him was from j.hp. I was trying to edge my way in around the garbage storm and find a time to use silver chord. However, most of the time there was no opportunity for it. I mostly dash-jumped j.hp and call assist (HB h). Also I only used center stage > opera once and was only because I already had a charge. Other than in the middle of my combos, there was no time to charge either of my stances. One thing I really hate though is unless he jumped, I could not start the match with SBO for he would counter me every time.