• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Squigly Match-up Thread

Found something neat for Squigly vs Big Band. Safe bait on SSJ with a charged dragon stance

Easy way to bait it would be with divekick into H.DP if they happen to block it then you can SBO and it makes it safe.
If they do SSJ then DP beats it straight up.
If they have taunted SSJ then you can DP > Daisy Pusher.

Having an incredible tough time vs peacock and big band. If I try to sing, I just get shot, and if I try to punish Big Bands heavy brass knuckle, I just get shot by peacock.

I have absolutely not time to properly charge either, as the risk of getting shot, hit by Argus, or punched by Band is too high.

They both are constantly protecting each other and i'm locked down while they continue to make tons of meter and i'm left with very little. Which is scary since Argus is a huge threat.

I'm using Parasoul with pillar as an assist, however if I try to use it to punish big bands heavy knuckle, she just gets shot by peacock for tons of damage, or ends up taking the Brass Knuckle and nearly losing half her life.

So far against him i'm winning about 1/4th of the time, but I would like to increase my chances.
i havent particularly gotten a good chance to fight against that duo but ill see what i come up with later

It's a godawful matchup. The plus side is if you can get in, it's hard for peacock to safely get out. If you're running parasoul, swap to a different assist. Pillar doesn't help much. I run Bike call. It forces a block and gives you space to get in. The big trick is looking at where the other player throws a George at the Air show. When that happens, you need to dash under, then super jump forward and block to get over the assist call. As you close in, you can start using j.HP to force blocks, then cancel into light dive kicks to get forward and on the ground faster.

Reactions: Calypsx
Against peacock I generally try to convert with j.hp into opera. Mix up your jump pattern to weave through her projectiles a bit less predictably. Random Level 1 sings into Opera can land you some combos here and there as well.

With brass knuckles H, all I can really say is jump and block it. I think I generally try to double jump over him and hit it with a j.mk.

I haven't fought like an amazingly good Big band yet so I wanted to know how that matchup goes. Does anyone have an idea on who wins? Personally I think squigly does but I only fought day oners.

I think squigly wins against Big Band as well. Big Bands hit box is very big, so he's easy to his. A lot of his moves are punishable on block, and big band has to get in in order to do some damage to squigly.

When it comes to approaching Peacock, I tend to mix up my approaches by double jumping and using a charged qcf HK. I usually get in half the time, but maybe silver chord would be a better way.

And quick question: What's the best way to deal with characters pressure a lot? Some teams of 2 pressure me like crazy, an example being cerebella and double, and I lose by a lot.

I think squigly wins against Big Band as well. Big Bands hit box is very big, so he's easy to his. A lot of his moves are punishable on block, and big band has to get in in order to do some damage to squigly.
Nothing about this is Squigly specific, you could say the same about any character in the game. So does that mean Big Band loses to everyone?

lol. I shouldve went more into what squigly can do. Her main game plan is playing keepaway. She can easily outrange Big Band with air HP and her charged qcf HK. If you add assists, it makes her job easier.

lol. I shouldve went more into what squigly can do. Her main game plan is playing keepaway. She can easily outrange Big Band with air HP and her charged qcf HK. If you add assists, it makes her job easier.
I don't really think Squigly is a very effective at keepaway at all :x plus Big Band tends to beat keepaway strategies cause he's got this rush punch (which yes is unsafe on block but I can see you doing things that are not blocking and react to them with rush punch).

I know squigly isn't a very good keepaway character, but for this matchup, I felt that her keepaway would be much better because of Big Band's hitbox. I'd like to play some more Big Bands, it might because the Big Bands I play seem to fall for the keepaway, they just aren't that good, or my way of thinking is completely flawed :P (rather it not be this).

I know squigly isn't a very good keepaway character, but for this matchup, I felt that her keepaway would be much better because of Big Band's hitbox. I'd like to play some more Big Bands, it might because the Big Bands I play seem to fall for the keepaway, they just aren't that good, or my way of thinking is completely flawed :P (rather it not be this).
You should play my Big Band, I've got my steam profile in my signature

My internet is really bad right now, but I will add you in a bit and we can play later.

I personally believe Squigly loses to Big band. It's so easy for him to Atrain Squigly j.hp or even beat extend. plus Squigly can't get a charge for fear of giant step. Now granted you can just daisy pusher his pressure but at neutral, other than bait him into something with an empty jump idk what to do.

Honestly, I think it's in favor of whomever has the life advantage. If Squigly is leading, she can double jump back and punish any A-Train and even some Brass Knuckles that go too deep. If BB tries to jump forward and use Cymbals, she can double jump and HP straight over it. Conversely, if Squigly has to get in, she becomes susceptible to both A Train and Beat Extend. Neither can particularly get in well on the other

To be honest I feel it's just who's aware of meta better. A lot of BBs expect you to jump after a dash or across screen....so then don't. Dash and attack w/a low. Or charged chord. BB taunts? Got meter? Yeah...I'm sure you see where that's going. Instead of throwing out aimless j.hps, cancel them early w/dive kicks. Time your jump-ins slightly off too so he can't parry either.

I haven't had an issue against big band yet recently. j.mk and sometimes j.hp can stuff armor moves without too much of a hassle.

I have to respect take the a train though.

For a solo Squigly, what is the best way to deal with a strong rushdown like Filia and extreme zone like Fukua or Peacock?

For a solo Squigly, what is the best way to deal with a strong rushdown like Filia and extreme zone like Fukua or Peacock?
I played solo squigs for my first five months of playing the game.

In both matchups it's pretty unlikely you're going to be getting a charge, so dp is more or less out the window. Both characters have easy ways out of daisy pusher(filia updo and peacock L bang, i think fukua can dp super out of it).

For filia, do your best to keep her out and stuff her with j.hp and j.mp/j.lk. I usually tried to stay above her and catch her out with H Divekick if i thought she would stay in a dash for a bit too long or is going to press a button. You want to delay her getting close to you as long as possible, though depending on the circumstances that will be difficult and sometimes even impossible. Up close, you're just as screwed as anyone else unfortunately. PBGC Opera was generally how i found a lot of hits.

One thing that might help is that you can do j.lp (or j.lk at strange angles) into H divekick if you're fast enough, and each h divekick will net you a combo. Both are solid normals against filia, but I still find this matchup to be one of the most if not the most aggravating.

Peacock is a lot trickier, but I was able to find decent success with a tool that everybody often overlooks; level 1 sing. With peacock running all over the place and throwing things out constantly, catching her out with level 1 sing + opera has landed me countless combos on Beamsprout's peacock. The only thing to watch out for when doing this is that her airplane will home in on you and stop opera if it's already out, so you need to be extremely careful for that. Other than that, make sure you're mixing up your jump patterns and blocking for the majority of the time you're in the air. Only go for a divekick if you know you're going to be able to convert off of it, which means either a low M divekick or a (risky) h divekick. If you find a hole somewhere in their projectile pattern, try and work j.hp's in there somewhere since it can often catch them off guard and you can convert with an opera at some ranges. I've had luck with random silver chords but like any matchup, don't count on them.

The interesting thing about Solo Squigly is that playing it more or less forces you to block well, especially in matchups where you aren't going to be able to get a charge.

Is hk.divekick punishable vs Filia in air?

I've been trying to break my habit of using it since it is so punishable.

Is hk.divekick punishable vs Filia in air?

I've been trying to break my habit of using it since it is so punishable.
Pretty sure H Divekick is more punishable if you block it in the air than if you use it on the ground. If they aren't pushblocking your divekicks though then start doing L Divekick then grab.

Pretty sure H Divekick is more punishable if you block it in the air than if you use it on the ground. If they aren't pushblocking your divekicks though then start doing L Divekick then grab.

Yeah I figured this out. Pretty neat version of a tick throw.

hey somebody said how squigly should deal with iads and i like s.lp that's a good move it's her fastest normal and a decent anti-air hitbox okay thanks

Reactions: mcpeanuts
hey somebody said how squigly should deal with iads and i like s.lp that's a good move it's her fastest normal and a decent anti-air hitbox okay thanks

Since it is able to be chained twice, how easy is it to confirm into a combo?

To be honest I feel it's just who's aware of meta better. A lot of BBs expect you to jump after a dash or across screen....so then don't. Dash and attack w/a low. Or charged chord. BB taunts? Got meter? Yeah...I'm sure you see where that's going. Instead of throwing out aimless j.hps, cancel them early w/dive kicks. Time your jump-ins slightly off too so he can't parry either.
why can't you guys just say 5-5 :P or 6-4 depending on the situation in terms of who knows character best..which is still 5-5

Reactions: Spencer
Since it is able to be chained twice, how easy is it to confirm into a combo?
Very easily.

Very easily.
What would you use to convert? I feel like my normal hit confirm of c.MK s.HPx2 xx Silver Chord might not work on someone who is airborne when I start the chain.

also, while not as rewarding i like doing j.mp chain to j.hp around that iad range, seems to work well against people blindly rushing you.

What would you use to convert? I feel like my normal hit confirm of c.MK s.HPx2 xx Silver Chord might not work on someone who is airborne when I start the chain.

skip the c.mk. Alternatively, do s.mk and follow up with an air chain.

You can just go straight into 5HPx2 sx whatever. Or go into 5MP 5HP xx chord. Or as alex said 5MK /\ airchain.

Still feel 5MP is a better option vs IADs since Filia can go over 5LP easily, while 5MP covers the same and more space. But 5LP is a good option if you react too late for 5MP to come out.

I'd need to test on Filia and Val, but I know that on some characters s.MP x2, s.HP x2 xx Chord won't actually combo. I got so sick of missing these combos that I changed up my confirm. Yeah, I'm losing a few hundred damage on some characters because of it, but I'd rather be confident in my hit confirms rather than risk messing it up.

I do s.LP LP c.mp c.hp cord. Doing s.hp is probably way more consistant.

s.lp is good if filia iad lk, but if she iad hp it will mostly lose. i prefer to jump up come down with a divekick. positive there are mulitple things filia can do to punish it, but why stop when I haven't been punished. Also a neat thing i found is the first few frames of s.hk go under any of filia's iad options. So you can dodge with s.hk and do daisy pusher to punish. From what I can tell filia can't gregor, or maybe i didn't record the dummy correctly.

That doesn't sound like something you can set up in training mode, since it requires both players to react to something the other is doing. Filia can probably cancel into Gregor in that scenario.

Something I've also picked up by fighting Sev is that if you chicken block Parasoul j.lp j.hp, s.lp seems to punish it. I imagine this also works for things like iad j.lk j.hk from Filia

Is that because you land which takes you out of blockstun first?