• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Squigly: Solo, Duetto, Trio

blufang

Ink does a body good
Reaction score
Steam
fangore
Squigly Big Band Eliza
Which do u play? I go with a trio consisting of Parasoul point (Egret Charge) , Squigly middle (Center Stage), and Fortune anchor (HP Nyantiair) .

What partners make beautiful music with her? What partners are like scratching a chalkboard?

Is unaccompanied Squigly a viable choice?

If playing on a trio, and that is where I think she is most optimal, I think her best position is at second because of her assists and safe (ish) dhc

If on duo I see her as point. I don't particularly like her anchor based play nor her solo play so those are the 2 best positions to me.

Point on a trio is ok but I think its best served by a power point character... Like Val or filia or peacock etc etc etc.

I mostly play as Parasoul and Peacock online, but when I use Squigly I mostly have her roll with Fillia(point). I use Fillia's hairball assist and Squigly's sliver chord assist.

I mostly play as Parasoul and Peacock online, but when I use Squigly I mostly have her roll with Fillia(point). I use Fillia's hairball assist and Squigly's sliver chord assist.
idk i find silver chord assist much too slow :P unless charged of course. But i use drag'n'bite along with the overhead forward s.hp ashes to ashes if my opponents really good at blocking. I use filia, and go with updo. I resisted for the longest time because i thought updo was so stupid and felt like i didn't need a dp cuz im "better than that" but to be honest, the reason i went with it is because filia's other assists SUCK or at least you have to develope a specific playstyle/combo around them. You can't just start using them randomly except maybe hairball...and even so if you hit the opponent you need to either dash after them or silver chord...so idk that's me for now. Although I'm fantasizing over painwheel & squigly because painwheel also cancels very similarly to squigly except it's much easier because you don't have to deal with 2 extra buttons each cancel (if you do it "the right way" like i do).

TL;DR: I use a duo because i don't know a 3rd yet and don't feel like both are solo strength yet. I use drag'n'bite for extended pressure & a breather as an assist, and for filia, i use updo because it gives squigly room to charge or just room in general. However, I really want to learn painwheel....especially since her and squigs have a lot of matching color palettes.

^i played you a bunch today lol gg

The team I'm learning is:
Para (slow shot) / squigly (dnb, counter pick peacock players with center stage) / double (light butt)

It's really good lol

idk i find silver chord assist much too slow :p unless charged of course. But i use drag'n'bite along with the overhead forward s.hp ashes to ashes if my opponents really good at blocking. I use filia, and go with updo. I resisted for the longest time because i thought updo was so stupid and felt like i didn't need a dp cuz im "better than that" but to be honest, the reason i went with it is because filia's other assists SUCK or at least you have to develope a specific playstyle/combo around them. You can't just start using them randomly except maybe hairball...and even so if you hit the opponent you need to either dash after them or silver chord...so idk that's me for now. Although I'm fantasizing over painwheel & squigly because painwheel also cancels very similarly to squigly except it's much easier because you don't have to deal with 2 extra buttons each cancel (if you do it "the right way" like i do).

TL;DR: I use a duo because i don't know a 3rd yet and don't feel like both are solo strength yet. I use drag'n'bite for extended pressure & a breather as an assist, and for filia, i use updo because it gives squigly room to charge or just room in general. However, I really want to learn painwheel....especially since her and squigs have a lot of matching color palettes.
I've been trying out drag'n'bite as Squigly's assist and I find that it actually works a lot better than sliver chord does(so thankyou). I've been trying to use updo Filia assist, but I'm to use to hairball assist. I can't wait for Eliza and how she plays because I plan to add her on the Filia/Squigly team. #TeamParasiteRivals

Squigly/Parasoul has ridiculous synergy and I might just make a video based on showcasing that point.

I sometimes partner Squigs with Val as my team, just to practice with the character and her playstyle (since I love Squigly too much! ^^). I use Drag 'n Bite as a lockdown assist and combo extender which is basically my gameplan with my real team, but center stage does wonders some of my weakest match-ups (peacock and painwheel). With the right setups her overhead assist is pretty deadly too. Squigs is super fun to play with, however I do consider her a team character, solo-squigly is definitely among the hardest solos to play effectively with, she's low-tier solo IMO.

Squigly/Parasoul has ridiculous synergy and I might just make a video based on showcasing that point.

yeah i also think theyre very good together but if you have awesome tech please share.

Well, since I probably won't make that video anyway, this is a list of what makes Squigly/Parasoul so good.

- Napalm Pillar is an awesome assist for Squigly - apart from being great as a DP assist. One, it's 1000 damage in one hit, making it useful to add some damage in confirms. Two, s.HK (call pillar) xx held stance, walk forward is a stance charge setup that works on everyone and maximally costs you OTG. Do it early in your combo and profit.
- Sniper Shot -> MKHK Opera is an awesome DHC. DHC as early as possible to have Sniper benefit from the DHC scaling, and then enjoy some more unscaled Squigly hits before you launch into the Opera. Good damage, and you can also get a stance charge out of it.
- Squigly has good assists for Parasoul. Silver Chord allows for some interesting combos in combination with a Sniper Shot confirm. Dragnbite synergizes with Parasoul more generally, as both a neutral game and a lockdown assist.
- Can tack on a solid amount of damage on every Opera ender with Parasoul's LV3.
- Ground combo -> MKHK Opera -> Sniper Shot is at least a pretty decent DHC. If the enemy is already launched, you substitute damage for insane corner carry.

dont forget that center stage assist is literally the nuts against peacock with parasoul on point. you realllly want to use it

you like napalm pillar huh? i guess i would too if i was playing a para/squig duo and didnt also have double for the invincible assist in the third slot. slow shot is also extremely good for her because her approach is so assy it really helps you to get in on them. no use having two invincible assists if i can have one invincible and one projectile assist i think

Well, I think Squigly gets far more from Pillar than from Bomber, if we're talking invincible assists. So, yeah.

hard to say honestly, i think il take the three hits of blockstun from the bomber so she doesnt get pushblocked all day over the higher and bigger hitbox of the pillar
both have pros/cons

Currently I play squigly/bella. Her blender assists makes great pressure. On block I do cLK cMK cHP and if the cHP is blocked I call bella on the first hit. This gives me enough time to jump over or above and go in for more pokes. On crouchers I can overhead HP while blender is being blocked. Its great for keeping people pinned.

When BB and Eliza come out I'll see how they are. Otherwise blenderbella is also great assist for charging.

Well, since I probably won't make that video anyway, this is a list of what makes Squigly/Parasoul so good.

- Napalm Pillar is an awesome assist for Squigly - apart from being great as a DP assist. One, it's 1000 damage in one hit, making it useful to add some damage in confirms. Two, s.HK (call pillar) xx held stance, walk forward is a stance charge setup that works on everyone and maximally costs you OTG. Do it early in your combo and profit.
- Sniper Shot -> MKHK Opera is an awesome DHC. DHC as early as possible to have Sniper benefit from the DHC scaling, and then enjoy some more unscaled Squigly hits before you launch into the Opera. Good damage, and you can also get a stance charge out of it.
- Squigly has good assists for Parasoul. Silver Chord allows for some interesting combos in combination with a Sniper Shot confirm. Dragnbite synergizes with Parasoul more generally, as both a neutral game and a lockdown assist.
- Can tack on a solid amount of damage on every Opera ender with Parasoul's LV3.
- Ground combo -> MKHK Opera -> Sniper Shot is at least a pretty decent DHC. If the enemy is already launched, you substitute damage for insane corner carry.

Bonus tech: I use Drag n Bite as an assist. With Parasoul on point, an intentionally detonated tear (for example: ...lp Shot, s.LP, s.MP) causes enough stun to call assist and have it hit. You can either set yourself up for a reset, dash forward and make the combo carry them farther towards corner, or (in the corner) do 3 tear drops with time to do an instant overhead into j.HP detonating the tears and giving you approximately a million frames to link your next move.

drag n bite actually gives you like 2 chances for a 50/50 on block with parasoul while they block the assist. its really good for her and the definitely choice unless youre facing a peacock (center stage is the best assist in the game against peacock)

center stage can be kind of risky vs an attentive peacock. If they counter call Hornet Bomber or Lock n Load they can punish pretty hard

My current Squigly trio is BB/Squigs/xx Practicing Double for the xx position, but a bunch of characters work there.

My team theory:
I'm running BB on point because SSJ is big enough that Opera is actually a safe DHC when you cancel into it properly and because I like having BB with Squigly 2HP assist, for an almost GG Eddie like reset that I like to run.

ie. assist + j.MK IOH, not complicated at all but FAST and you can easily just bait reversals instead, it is a 50/50 which has to be blocked first so its a very reliable reset, one of my favorites in the game, you can run it 3/4 times in a row on one person and it is still incredibly effective.

Squigly and Big Band have a fair bit of synergy in general, the other way around, Squigly has a consistent reversal, though using 2 meters, in Daisy Pusher xx SSJ, expensive but Squigs doesn't really have good options on her own in that situation.

HP knuckle assist is fantastic for Squigly, helps as a GTFO as well as allowing a loooong time to charge stances whenever you want them.

Oh, You can also MK+HK Opera out of the last hit of SSJ and continue the combo, that's another little thing that's nice.

For last position, there are a few good choices I think:

Double is obvious and I'm practicing her to fit on both my main teams, because, she's just plain that good as a support character, she's ridiculous. Safe DHC into pressure whenever you want, soild anchor play, especially with meter stocked and Bomber is just a really, really useful assist, obviously.

Cerebella is also pretty great, Cerecopter is one of Squigly's best assists, but only on a team of 3 I believe, if you like to run Bella last I'd almost consider running Squigs as a point with a reversal assist in second, (say... Double?) especially one who also will provide a safe DHC. (say... Double?)

The other choices are mostly the other standard fare, I feel Fillia is a slightly less synergistic choice, but she works because she's Fillia. Fortune could work, again because she's just an amazing character in her own right. Squigly will struggle to convert from fiber upper though... so rememebr that.

Honourable mention to Parasoul, who I feel runs slightly better than the 2 I just mentioned, though not as well as the first 2. I've ran her quite a lot on the team and think she can be pretty effective, offering a safe DHC in some situations, just be aware that she is probably the weakest anchor of everyone mentioned here.

Oh btw I think I put this somewhere else, but it'd be better to be here because people could see the synergy they like best with teams/Etc

Squiggly second for the DHC on a team of three. Besides Double, I don't think there are any good anchors in the game.

Squiggly second for the DHC on a team of three. Besides Double, I don't think there are any good anchors in the game.
??? Bella isn't a good anchor ???

H-hi guys I can only play solo squigly.
Welcome :) solo squigs can be a bit tough, but luckily her great damage makes up for quite a bit. Charge from throws and when you're safe and you'll be good :) I'm trying to just edit my last post but it won't let me

??? Bella isn't a good anchor ???

Nah, the only thing she has going for her as anchor is level 3 in my experience, which you can play around. She doesn't have anything that can get her across the screen quickly, nothing that allows her to really be a threat from a distance, is weak to air resets in general so if she gets hit and the opponent knows what he's doing, she's forced to block/tech with no chance at a reversal. Her scariest option is probably reflect or H LnL into Diamond to be honest.

Fortune is better simply because she's so good solo already, Filia because she has mobility and some options. Cerecopter and Diamond are pretty great, but at anchor Bella struggles unless the opponent throws himself/his assists at her to get bopped by level 3.

Welcome :) solo squigs can be a bit tough, but luckily her great damage makes up for quite a bit. Charge from throws and when you're safe and you'll be good :) I'm trying to just edit my last post but it won't let me

Yeah The hardest thing about her is just getting in on people for me. It requires a lot of patient play, and it's quite difficult to find hits among the various assists and pressure that is thrown on you. Not to mention Updo and Napalm Pillar require quite a lot of patience to get by.

Patient play with center stage and good chords made my neutral game a bit better, I also just tried to level up my movement by mastering wavedashing both forwards and backwards.

Reactions: blufang
Agreed solo Squigs against teams is quite difficult. Team duckator is especially annoying. Valentine's super speed using hornet bomber to help mix ups and lock Squigs down, and then Updo to make it difficult to approach.

Yeah The hardest thing about her is just getting in on people for me. It requires a lot of patient play, and it's quite difficult to find hits among the various assists and pressure that is thrown on you. Not to mention Updo and Napalm Pillar require quite a lot of patience to get by.

Patient play with center stage and good chords made my neutral game a bit better, I also just tried to level up my movement by mastering wavedashing both forwards and backwards.
I thought mike did away with wave dashing a long time ago...yeah it's not possible. With squigs don't worry about ground movement. It's literally all about air. If you move on the ground most likely it's back :p when in neutral

Wave dashing is only worth it with Fillia I'm pretty sure.

Squigly probably goes signicantly SLOWER by wavedashing, because her dash has awkward startup

No what I'm saying is the method of wave dashing mechanically is gone. It's not possible literally.

No what I'm saying is the method of wave dashing mechanically is gone. It's not possible literally.
I was confused by what you said, so I went into beta and it is working fine? Squigly has absolutely no reason to do it though because it slows down her movement by a large amount.

fortune point (3HP assist for when i get the head out before tagging her out or DHCing)
squigly middle (center stage assist)
bella anchor (cerecopter or 6HP seem to be what everyone is telling me to use)

after reading earlier posts...should i reconsider and play bella point with fortune anchor..?

Tap two punches, dash happens, and then hold down? Works for me. I haven't actually seen if it's slower or not.
I don't thinks that's a real viable way to move for her since her dash has such long startup.

I don't thinks that's a real viable way to move for her since her dash has such long startup.
I don't use it to move longer distances, I've mostly been using it to make minor adjustments to spacing/positioning. Similar to how it would be used in SSBM I guess.

I've been rocking Squigs/Fortune (Drag 'n' Bite/Nyantiair) the past couple of days and I'm loving it so far, ending my (head on) Fortune BnB with 236PP into LK+MK SBO>Silver Chord>stuff feels so boss, and on the reverse side ending my Squigs BnB with HK divekick into raw tag or a Silver Chord for the reset

I've been thinking about making it a full trio by putting Parasoul on anchor with Pillar assist, and switching MF's to s.MK or s.HK or something, but I'm not sure because I could keep Nyantiair and use MP/HP shot or Bike assist instead...

Of course it'll be irrelevant once Eliza comes out, I'll be kicking Squigs/MF/Liz as soon as I am able to regardless of any potential synergy (or lack thereof :P)

Solo Squigs is getting more and more difficult to play as my local scene gets better. I've looked into Squigs/Peacock and have a few ideas here and there:

Peacock First with DragNBite
Squigs first with Peacocks c.hp, decent pressure if used with divekicks.

I haven't exactly sold out on quitting solo squigs just yet, but i really just can't get in as well if if they mash pushblocking.

Peacock/Squigly is pretty bad. I tried that out to see if it was something I could play if Big Band wasn't available but it turns out it isn't. dnb is good for peacock for mixups but it doesn't really help her get established, and if you can't get established you can't do your mixups. Haven't tried Squigly/Peacock.

Peacock/Squigly is pretty bad. I tried that out to see if it was something I could play if Big Band wasn't available but it turns out it isn't. dnb is good for peacock for mixups but it doesn't really help her get established, and if you can't get established you can't do your mixups. Haven't tried Squigly/Peacock.
Yeah, I remember this conversation at SCR. My sketch is mostly just doing stuff off of a c.hp or at least getting something out of george pressure. I can't think of a great lockdown assist that peacock has off the top of my head, but then again I don't play her much. Just against her.

I'm willing to experiment with whatever, I just wish more characters interested me gameplay wise.