• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Strange IPS Trigger

Skullmageddon

Reaction score
Steam
Skullmageddon
PSN
Skullmageddon_42
Peacock Peacock Peacock
I'm not sure if this is a bug, or if there's some aspect of IPS that I'm unaware of.

It just seems odd that IPS would trigger during either sequence when the only difference is that in one I jump-cancel while in the other I land and re-jump.

Jump cancelling goes into stage 4. IPS/Undizzy are being registered here, but they don't trigger.
Landing and jumping goes into stage 5, and IPS/Undizzy trigger at this stage.

Jump cancelling goes into stage 4. IPS/Undizzy are being registered here, but they don't trigger.
Landing and jumping goes into stage 5, and IPS/Undizzy trigger at this stage.

Ok, I kinda figured it was something like that...but why? I guess I don't really see why IPS should be triggered in one case but not the other.

Cause those are the rules? You landed and rejumped. Everybody's in stage 5 then. The DJC is subjected to the same rules as an ADC. There won't be a special case, just for Robo-Fortune.

I mean, I understand that the rule is in place for a good reason. Forcing me into stage 5 after landing and re-jumping keeps me from performing really easy, ongoing air loops. I also understand that JC's and ADC's don't need to do this since you're limited in the number of times you can do them.

It's just one of those cases where it feels like IPS is just restricting my combo path when it's really just supposed to prevent infinites. It doesn't really matter though, I just need to adjust my play and make sure I JC if I want to keep the combo going.

http://skullgirls.com/forums/index.php?threads/infinite-prevention-system-and-undizzy-beginners-manual.965/ said:
Stages 3 & 4
Your first air chains immediately after your first ground chain. Moves in these stages are added to IPS, but IPS will not trigger during these stages. Landing progresses you to stage 5.
The chain after your jump cancel would burst if being in stages 3/4 weren't preventing it.

I don't think that pressing up a little sooner makes it harder, specially that combo.
Anyway, this is the general rule:
If you started a combo grounded, second chain will be stage 3, and if you do another chain in the air before landing, it'll be stage 4. After you landed, everything will be stage 5.
An example is doing with bella in the corner
j.hk (stage 1)
c.lk > c.mp > c.hp (stage 2)
jump > j.hp (stage 3) > j.lp (stage 4)
s.lp (stage 5).

I'm not saying it's difficult. In fact, the timing for the jump cancel is a little easier than re-jumping. I just wanted clarification as to why IPS was triggering, which of course makes perfect sense to me now.