• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Results Summer Jam 9 Wrap-Up

Kai

Go Home And Be A Family Man!
Reaction score
Website
www.killallinstinct.com
Steam
Kai
PSN
Night_Phyre
Parasoul Cerebella Big Band
sj9banner.png

As with all good things, Summer Jam 9 has come to an end. A field of 52 players was distilled down to a positively punishing Top 8, and the hits just kept coming. Previously unknown player Ducktator made it into top 8 out of nowhere, and a lover's quarrel ended in pain as SonicFox was forced to discipline SwiftFox-Dash in front of the assembled crowd. Momentum was the story of the night, though, with a staggering number of the matches coming out as complete sweeps, including both winner's and loser's finals.

A spectacular finish awaited us at in Grand Finals, however, and one hated to see it end. Most hoped to see SonicFox reset the brackets, if only it got us more hype matches, but it wasn't to be; dekillsage defeated SonicFox in a nail-biting 3-2 finish. So, for now, our new boss is the old boss, and the perennial struggle between the top players continues onward as we look towards the rest of this year's tournament season!

Thanks to nycfurby & KPB for streaming the event, and thanks to the players for coming out!
1. cR|dekillsage (Double/Fukua/Cerebella)
2. cR|SonicFox (Fukua/Eliza, Fukua/Cerebella/Eliza)
3. Swiftfox-Dash (Peacock/Cerebella)
4. Keninblack (Parasoul/Double)
5. Lazydiablos (Ms. Fortune/Eliza)
5. McPeanuts (Peacock/Big Band)
7. Pickles (Filia/Big Band)
7. Ducktator (Valentine/Filia/Double)

Top 8 VOD: http://www.twitch.tv/kpblive/v/13588267?t=06h34m16s
Pools VOD: http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby/v/13419551?t=02h01m40s

Grand Final
cR|SonicFox (Fukua/Cerebella/Eliza) vs. cR|dekillsage (Double/Fukua/Cerebella) – 2-3

Losers Final
cR|SonicFox (Fukua/Eliza) vs. Swiftfox-Dash (Peacock/Cerebella) – 3-0

Winners Final
cR|SonicFox (Fukua/Cerebella/Eliza) vs. cR|dekillsage (Double/Fukua/Cerebella) – 0-3

Losers Semi-final
Keninblack (Parasoul/Double) vs. Swiftfox-Dash (Peacock/Cerebella) – 0-2

Top 8 Winners
McPeanuts (Peacock/Big Band) vs. cR|SonicFox (Fukua/Eliza) – 0-2
Lazydiablos (Ms. Fortune/Eliza) vs. cR|dekillsage (Double/Fukua/Cerebella) – 0-2

Top 8 Losers
Keninblack (Parasoul/Double) vs. Pickles (Filia/Big Band) – 2-1
Ducktator (Valentine/Filia/Double) vs. Swiftfox-Dash (Peacock/Cerebella) – 1-2

Keninblack (Parasoul/Double) vs. Lazydiablos (Ms. Fortune/Eliza) – 2-1
McPeanuts (Peacock/Big Band) vs. Swiftfox-Dash (Peacock/Cerebella) – 0-2

Match Log via Shoryuken

Along with Ducktator, that newcomer Kenisblack looked pretty talented too.

Seriously though, that was a fantastic top 8. Tuned in around six and an hour or so just evaporated. Despite the cloudy, overly-compressed game audio, it was very entertaining. And informative. Insight for dekillsage's disorienting use of Cerebella's grab as an assist. While she's grabbing and slapping, the on-point character repositions and prepares the next attack. And was it Swiftfox-Dash doing those stying finishers? (e.g. Cerebella's Ultimate Showstopper then tossing Parasoul into a Lenny explosion for the KO)

Reactions: Wenzel
and a lover's quarrel ended in pain as SonicFox was forced to discipline SwiftFox-Dash in front of the assembled crowd.
Wait, what happened exactly?

Ooookay, gentlemen & ladies... I got back to NY a little while ago, but immediately crashed once I saw my bed. My bad. Anyways, I know I did this last night, but I'm going to do it again (and with gusto, at that): From the bottom of my heart, I sincerely want to thank EVERYONE -- those who competed, those who helped with brackets & commentary, those who flew out, those who were in the stream chat and those who made this wonderful game -- that came together to make Summer Jam 9 such a roaring success!

I know you guys love to give me credit for what I've been doing, but that's just BTS legwork. Each & every single one of you have given life to this revolution. I really want to stress that word, too... revolution. In my humble opinion, "revolution" is the only way that this recent surge for the community. Everyone is taking notice, as they should, because this game & its community are deserving of the attention.

If I may quote "Captain America: the First Avenger" to convey my point that much more clearly, I hold Dr. Erskine's words to heart: 'The strong man who has known power all his life, may lose respect for that power, but a weak man knows the value of strength.' A little psychologically heavy for a hazy Monday afternoon, I'll admit... but it describes us perfectly. Other games have been tourney mainstays for so long that their players take it for granted. That's not a luxury afforded to us.

As such, every victory becomes both cause for celebration & a rallying cry for the entire FGC to hear. We just beat out a majority of the games on the SJ9 roster in terms of attendance because, above all else, we know how important it is to appreciate the support given to our game. While I know the next couple of months are just busy busy busy for us... I know we can continue riding this crest of morale straight into 2016 & beyond.

Said it before & I'll say it again: As big as SJ9 was, NEC16 is gonna be even bigger... looking forward to see you there.

Just watched Top8. That was great. Thanks to all involved. Now I want to watch Pools- that might take a while. Is the banner art for this topic new? Haven't seen it before. Very cool!

Reactions: Zero8teen(DG)
Is the banner art for this topic new? Haven't seen it before. Very cool!
oh no the banner is from the art gallery in the game. You can unlock it easy peasy.

Is the banner art for this topic new? Haven't seen it before. Very cool!
It's old. You can find this exact picture in your SG art gallery. Just with Summer Jam logo thrown on it.

Edit: Ninja Ninja me.

Just want to show my support by saying congrats to dekillsage and thanks to the stream production team and the entire top 8 players. After watching the top 8 it looks like the meta is still evolving for the game and I have faith that this will help to engage other viewers to watch and support.

But most importantly I wanted to say that I think this stream is what I needed to push myself as a player. I want to get in on this scene and try to do my best to also support it as a player in whatever way I can. I just hope this momentum continues and other players start to come out and play in all the other scenes as well.

@ArkBat , glad to have you aboard... here's hoping you can attend NEC16 this year *cheers*

oh I didn't look at the results here until now but correction: me vs kenin was 2-0 him not 2-1

After watching the top 8 it looks like the meta is still evolving for the game and I have faith that this will help to engage other viewers to watch and support.

But most importantly I wanted to say that I think this stream is what I needed to push myself as a player. I want to get in on this scene and try to do my best to also support it as a player in whatever way I can. I just hope this momentum continues and other players start to come out and play in all the other scenes as well.
Just let me know when you move back to Canada. ;)

Just let me know when you move back to Canada. ;)

I know what scene I'm really reppin ;)